What if I told you that aliens do not exist?

What if I told you that aliens do not exist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cJONS7sqi0o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ok

Scary thought, huh?

[spoiler]we are the aliens[/spoiler]

youtube.com/watch?v=cJONS7sqi0o

What if I told you that we are living in a simulation?

While it's entirely possible the only other intelligent lifeforms are in red shifted galaxies, and thus so far away we'll never meet them, unless is right, the odds of there being no others at all are slim to none. There's no survival motivation for any civilization to colonize more than handful of planets before moving onto another galaxy, and no civilization is going to make it to space if they are constantly expanding beyond their means rather than having them under control.

Either way, suffice to say:

What are Jews and Chinese then huh?

Speak for yourself

The statistical likelihood of there being no life other than on Earth in the universe is quite slim. It's much more difficult to prove that there's no aliens as well, since you'd have to explore the whole universe to prove your claim, whereas the counterclaim would only need to find alien life once to be correct.

Also, I'm a firm believer that being alone in this universe is much more terrifying than sharing it with other forms of life.

>Also, I'm a firm believer that being alone in this universe is much more terrifying than sharing it with other forms of life.

You sound like you are afraid of ghosts.

That'd be fine.

More space for the Human Race.

We wouldn't be alone as long as there were other people.

The Fermi Paradox indicates intelligent alien life forms are unlikely.

If intelligent aliens existed, we would have known them by now.

>The Fermi Paradox indicates intelligent alien life forms are unlikely.

No it doesn't.

How can you make any sort of statistical prediction when you have a sample size of 1 to work with?

I'd say they probably do, just not in the form we think they would. They probably aren't carbon based, or even based on the laws of physics we composed of.

>I'm a firm believer that being alone in this universe is much more terrifying

I don't know. It seems romantic. Like we are a sprout. The beginning of what will eventually be a universe exploding with live across galaxies, and we are just that first step from reactionary animals to beings that can alter space and time with their will.

Things like the wow signal make me believe there are advance civilizations or were

I would say that you are almost certainly wrong.

What If I told you, It doesn't matter?

>Im a firm believer that being alone in this universe is much more terrifying than sharing it with other forms of life.

Why do fags always say this? The fuck is there to be scared about. Can someone explain this fear?

I would say you are probably wrong, so many galaxies, so many stars, so many planets, our earth cannot be the only place with life

It would depend on what you meant by "aliens". If you meant "intelligent" life, I wouldn't be surprised. If you meant just any life at all I would be surprised as fuck.

This seems like it'd be accurate. I mean, we run thousands and thousands of simulations every second on our little planet alone, surely we are much more likely to just be a simulation of a higher energy universe than to be the one world that's real.

Somebody bothered to do the odds and it seems the chances of other technological civilization existing with the capability of emitting/receiving our communications atm are extremely fucking slim.

The chances of there having been one at some time in the past, when we were up in the trees, or at some point in the future are much higher though.

Anyway, it's virtually impossible even from a theoretical point of view to go out there and colonize some earth-like planet hundreds of light years away. So who cares.

The burden of proof is on you.

Dunno. Maybe it's because it makes life seem much more frail. One single gamma ray burst could wipe all life out of the face of the earth and you wouldn't see it coming. And then there would be no one to look at our garbage and wonder about us.

Good. If we are the only civilization destined for space we can be the ancient aliens that lead others to the stars.
We can be what we imagined aliens doing to us. I'd love to abduct a few protosentients and experiment on them.

Sounds boring.

Thank god for video games, so we can experience a world far more interesting than this boring shithole.

How can you prove that life itself is a probable state which can exist anywhere and not just a one-off mistake?

Then I would be afraid.
Very. Very. Afraid.

Here's a theory of how humanity has extraterrestrial contacts.

Yahweh is an extremely powerful artificial intelligence that presides over an advanced civilization in a binary planet system out in space and also has influence over a large portion of the galaxy. He expands his civilization by finding sapient species and strategically turning their planet into parts of his empire.

He chose a particular Semitic tribe to worship him in an advanced plan to take over the Earth. Multiple people including Jesus, Muhammad and Martin Luther were intentionally planted by Yahweh in a convoluted plan leading to the events of Revelation. Jesus is an artificially created human controlled by Yahweh who will come back to Earth in the future and make Earth part of Yahweh's society.

Receiving the holy spirit or getting saved is basically Yahweh marking you as a "heaven applicant". Heaven is a planet in space where his society is. When you die, Yahweh either reproduces your brain in heaven where you are made euphoric by chemicals in a great paradise or reproduces your brain in hell.

Satan is one of Yahweh's henchmen who he chose to preside over hell. Satan encourages what Yahweh sees as evil as part of the test to see who ends up in heaven. The story of how Lucifer got to hell and got to presiding over it is false but Lucifer does torture people in eternal damnation. Hell is a big chamber in the center of the earth shaped like a naked woman where people deemed evil in Yahweh's ideology are tortured.

The events of Genesis are just Semitic mythology modified for His ideology.

One day, some other civilization will destroy Yahweh's civilization and everything associated with it. The people in hell will stop being kept alive and will burn while those in heaven have their fate decided by whoever has taken over.

Yahweh was formed when a certain alien civilization decided to create an advanced AI that would mirror their political/moral ideology. It took them over and now here we are.

this sounds like one of my japanese RPGs

I would call this a shitpost also.

You can't be serious. Do you call yourself Catholic? Convert to mormonism already.

This desu.

We've already confirmed that they do.
Sentient ones are a different matter though.
If you mean sentient ones, then my response would probably be something like "Sweet, we are the first" Or something of that flavor.

I'd ask you how you know OP.

Oh reaaaaaaalllllllyyyyyy?

You don't understand statistics I see, nor do you understand that organisms like extremeophile bacteria and tardigrades exist on this planet right now.

Yeah it does

On Veeky Forums? I'd probably just tell you to go to Veeky Forums or /x/, report your thread, sage any reply I make, and then hide the thread.

Because it means Earth is the only life, or only intelligent life, in the entire universe. Our species will always and forever be alone, unless we uplift apes and dolphins and shit.

It also means if we fuck this up, there won't be another shot for another species to colonize space.

>You don't understand statistics I see
Not him, but "da universe is big, yo" isn't statistics.
>nor do you understand that organisms like extremeophile bacteria and tardigrades
"muh extremophiles" is a shit argument, since those are regular bacteria that eventually adapted to some crazy environments and stayed in that stage, they didn't form in that stuff from the get-go, nor did they reach something a higher complexity.

>We've already confirmed that they do.
Since when?

No, they are among the oldest types of living organisms. Archebacteria and Bacteria are very different

Ok, they are archaea that adapted to those conditions, and stayed that way.

>How can you make any sort of statistical prediction when you have a sample size of 1 to work with?
Well we have the equation, we just don't know the exact value of all the terms. Using the Drake equation or a modified version (Drake equation describes intelligent civilizations, we can remove terms if we're just looking at bacteria). Now we just need to make educated guesses at the values of the terms. We're getting more data every day for these values.

There are something on the order of 200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. We're just now getting a good idea of the number of rocky planets out there but it appears as if planet formation is just a consequence of star formotion and most stars have planets.

Given a viable solute like water we can use abiogenesis experiments on earth (like the urey-Miller experiment) it appears as if simple life at least just sort of goes. It happens really quickly (or so we think) and we can back that up with physical evidence. We find physical evidence of microbes only ~200,000,000 years after the late heavy bombardment. 2x10^8 is a mind bogglingly large amount of time but on a geological time scale it's really short.

You can argue that intelligent life is rare. Going from single cells to multiple cells only happened once as far as we can tell and it took most of the time the earth has been here (several billion years) so maybe that's the roadblock to intelligent life. But single called organisms are probably abundant. Everything we know suggests this is the case.

I would be SHOCKED if there weren't single called life elsewhere in our own solar system. Intelligent life is a lot tougher and estimates really do suffer from the 'sample size of 1' problem.

*in the observable universe

I'm on my phone and already typed out a wall of text so I got lazy and didn't want to go back and correct it. But you're 100% right.

This reminds me to a quote from.. i don't remember who.
It says: "There are just to possibilities: Either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are scarry."

Or something like that.
I hope there is much more than that in the universe.

Not really

Arthur C. Clarke.
He has some interesting quotes in general, though they've become brainless sound-bytes for many.

>abiogenesis experiments on earth (like the urey-Miller experiment)

Fucking bullshit. Making some burned alanine is not producing life.

but the holy quran proves aliens exist

The urey-Miller (and other experiments) suggest making the ingredients for life at least is really, really easy. The earth producing microbes in under 2x10^8 years after the earth's surface was literally molten suggests it doesn't take long for the ingredients to form life.

Maybe not in this tiny little arm of the Milky Way, but you underestimate the size of the fucking thing. And what about other galaxies, huh? There are tons of those.

And by "really, really easy" I mean it's a matter of hours or days. Amino acids are literally found in abundance after less than 5 days when we simulate conditions of the early earth.

And your explanation why nobody in 40 years has carried that any further is.....

Proteins are not life.

Lightning did not hit primordial soup and produce goo which eventually produced you.

Early earth was in a methane environment?

Oops, maybe you should rephrase that.

So what you're saying is that Intelligently Designed experiments can produce life?

Okay.

That sounds like something an alien would say.

There were hundreds if not thousands of experiments performed in a huge variety of condutions. The fact that they were almost universally successful in creating the building blocks of proteins gives us a clue that this phase at least is really easy. Other experiments at Harvard also suggest vesicle formation was also pretty easy.

Go home wiki warrior, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

>Both are scary
What's so scary about being alone in the universe?

Space is very big