Will fedoras ever make a comeback?

Will fedoras ever make a comeback?

Hopefully not.

They were pretty stylish in the 1910s - 1940s but those times are long gone now. Most people will just have a knee jerk instinct to associate them with neckbeards without acknowledging the ubiquitous presence they once, and the status they once held with well dressed men.

Probably not, OP.

>>knee-jerk
No m8 it's because they're an extremely dated accessory that was never meant to be worn on their own.
Like someone in normies clothing putting on a codpiece

>because they're an extremely dated accessory

That's what I said.

Buy a panama hat instead

Any kind of headwear is shit nowadays desu

Any kind of wear is shit nowadays

You need to have a matching set, not just the hat.

Explain "worn on their own". Do you see guys nekkid except for a fedora running around? Where are you?

yes

They have too much of a cringey vibe due to them being associated with neckbeards.
I think it's pretty impossible for them to come back.

cosplay tier

From what I can see, that "cringey vibe" is manufactured by some stereotype promoted by this board and a few others. I've seen neckbeards. I've occasionally seen a fedora. Never the two together IRL. I live in a major urban area.

To people outside this board, I don't know that the word "fedora" means anything at all other than a style of hat.

>they're an extremely dated accessory that was never meant to be worn on their own.

Fedoras were not actually considered formal and they were not only worn with suits.
The reason they look shitty today is because chinless guys with feminized features do not look like men from pre-1960s movies, tv and pictures.
And also because it's not common knowledge to them that the shape of the face dictates the shape of the hat.
eg. You don't get a tall, square crown unless you have a good square jaw.

To people outside this board the fedora is a type of hat that's worn by old people, rich people and celebrities. It's not seen as a "neckbeard" hat, but some people will still think you're pretentious and/or old fashioned if you wear one.

seconded

>To people outside this board, I don't know that the word "fedora" means anything at all other than a style of hat.
Well you are certainly out of touch then.

Dude I've seen plenty of neckbeards wearing either a fedora or vest, or both, usually with a graphic tee and cargo shorts. All those things are fine on their own of course, but slapped together on a greasy husk of a virgin doesn't cut the mustard. Its definitely a thing, not just because of this board.

Damn hobos were effay back in the day

no

No, atheists ruined them

Any kind of shit is worn nowadays

Didn't the alt right take over Europe and the US, already?

> picture of Trilbys
> pretends it's relevant to fedoras

The fedora is the only part of his outfit that looks presentable

"worn on their own"

the outfit must match the hat so that it isn't "alone". sports shorts and a graphic T would look terrible with a fedora but a suit would match it. Either english isn't your first language or you are dense as a brick

hopefully every fedora that ever existed will be destroyed, and then mediaeval hats will be in fashion again

Look at any old films of crowds. The fedora was, for at least 40 years, the default hat that most men just threw on whenever they went outside. Suits were more common then, but far from ubiquitous. The fedora was ubiquitous.

Typical neckbeard that I see in my neck of the woods. Backwards ball cap is simply part of "loser" uniform.

No. Bottom half of this good and 70s, top half is a mix of eras and the colors are not harmonious

codpieces need a comeback

These types of hats seemed to be on the track to becoming popular for this decade. They were already a pretty big deal circa 2008/2009, alongside the popular flat-billed baseball caps, but a few years later, suddenly a bunch of atheist and overweight memes tarnished their reputation, and the fashion movement of brimmed hats has mostly lost steam since around that point.

To be honest, those types of cloth or polyester hats are almost universally considered to be of lesser quality and style to most of the original generations of hats they're based on.

Fur felt, or perhaps a nice quality wool if you must (wool isn't a very durable material), is the way to go if you want a fedora. Also, a fedora has a brim around two inches or wider (below that is a narrow-brimmed trilby hat, which most of the OP pic hats are, in reality), up through about 3 inches or 3 1/4 inches wide, maximum. Then, you start getting into the territory of the western and outback hat styles, which can also be very nice, or poorly made, as well.

If you want an affordable fedora or western/outback style hat, I recommend the Australian company Akubra, for these. They have a wide range of styles, and their rabbit fur felt is very long-lasting. Also, if you want to start wearing brimmed hats personally, do so with confidence. Just realize that it is a good idea to wear fedoras (or homburgs and bowlers) with suits, sports coats, or overcoats, but they can look good with more casual jackets. Without a coat or jacket, and colder weather, they will look more out of place to others. A cowboy or outback hat is seen as normal to wear with just a shirt, and casual wear, though, but you could always layer up, weather permitting.

They seem to be going for a Blues Brothers look, but much of the time, wearing both a hat and sunglasses could be seen as over-the-top, especially with all the clothes as black. It also does not help public perception if they are not in decent shape. Bear in mind that even back in the day (I'm assuming the BBs' style was based on the '60s, due to narrow ties and hats they wore), the Blues Brothers look of black suit and hat with glasses wasn't very common, either.

Everything looks bad on fat kids with pig noses