Christians: what is their end game?

It's obvious that Christianity is not true so there must be another, ulterior motive for there being people that still identify themselves as Christians in this day and age. What is it?

The survival of Christianity well into the modern, scientific and enlightened age in a way proves Nietzsche right, that truth is not the most important factor shaping people's choices, but another, more powerful motive...

What is it with Christians? Social utility? Fear of Islamization?

Of course I can't expect Christians to tell the truth, but every once in a while there appears an honest man. There was once a physicist from a Slavic country here, who was quite frank about it: we go to church because it's pretty and we like our traditions. We don't give a shit whether any of it is true or not. It makes me wonder how many Christians think like him, but don't admit it?

Other urls found in this thread:

theconversation.com/for-believers-fear-of-atheists-is-fueled-by-fear-of-death-41724
youtube.com/watch?v=ogd-yh7orfo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They are just pussies with low will to power.

It is mainly fear of death.

theconversation.com/for-believers-fear-of-atheists-is-fueled-by-fear-of-death-41724

>Canadian undergraduates, who are typically less religious than their US counterparts, rated atheists as more untrustworthy than Muslims – and just as untrustworthy as rapists!
Fear of death is strong in these ones.

Fedoras = autism tier
Christians = cuck tier
Muslim = mud shit tier

Quality post.

Is /pol/ a bit slow today?

Tell us your religion/ideology so we can rate you.

I just like making fun of others.

I haven't found any religion that advocates my morals. Pagans are pretty close though, desu

So fedora

Any particular form of Paganism? That's more of a generic term for any pre-monotheistic polytheism.

How is Christianity not true?

>haven't found any religion that advocates my morals. Pagans are pretty close though
So you just haven't found the right LARP group yet, is it?

So you're an edgy LARPer then?

Oh come on now...

Blimey, that's a bit of an open question.

First day on the Internet?

We'll try with some basic and see if you can respond with anything other than trash talking individuals.

youtube.com/watch?v=ogd-yh7orfo

Christians tell us why Christianity is socially and psychologically beneficial, how and why it "works" for you.

Christians have been saying Genesis is a metaphor since St. Augustine, maybe even before.

Augustine believed the Garden of Eden and Adam and Eve were literally true though. He thought that the Original Sin was symbolic and related to sexual pleasure.

>In Eden, it would have been possible to beget offspring without foul lust. The sexual organs would have been stimulated into necessary activity by will-power alone, just as the will controls other organs. Then, without being goaded on by the allurement of passion, the husband could have relaxed upon his wife's breasts with complete peace of mind and bodily tranquility, that part of his body not activated by tumultuous passion, but brought into service by the deliberate use of power when the need arose, the seed dispatched into the womb with no loss of his wife's virginity. So, the two sexes could have come together for impregnation and conception by an act of will, rather than by lustful cravings (City of God, Book 14, Chapter 26).

Why exactly do you think a religion is true when their holy gospels are full of historical errors? How come Mark doesn't know what everyone's title in Judea is, why can't Matthew or Luke agree on Jesus's geneology? Why does John claim going into Pilate's house would keep the priests from bringing the paschal lamb, and why does he claim Aramaic words are Hebrew?

Memes. Or spooks. In the exchange for abating said fear of death, one gives himself to be the speakerbox for a script floating in the ether. Think of it like obsessive compulsive behavior driving off anxiety or making yourself unfuckable to the opposite sex to avoid being molested or rejected. They force their view onto others both to reinforce amd validate the meme as well as having given up their own agency in the matter and being a puppet.

Interesting video. Tries to be funny but some things he says are ridiculous. Says the universe had to start somewhere,
How is that somewhere not God? Slaves he says. Will be slaves no matter what. Slaves to money slaves to science religion truth our families and even existence it's self. If heaven and hell are real I'm sure he'd want to be in heaven and not North Korea. Einstein part is true it beautiful how the mind works, but to say the natural is cooler than the supernatural? Please. If I look at a tree it's cool but if I look at a bush that's on fire and starts talking that's fucking awesome. I agree with it a lot but just because we can't make sense of things doesn't disprove of it

Those errors aren't even a big deal. There are errors everywhere in life. I don't know what half my family does for work I don't know half my own cousins and I don't know half of the English language. I'm sure there are bigger errors than that can be said but nothing is perfect.

>What is it with Christians? Social utility? Fear of Islamization?
Christians are generally the most 'tolerant' people when it comes to Islam. Notice how one of the first arguments used to advocate for tolerance of Muslim bullshit is MUH CRUSADES? That doesn't work if you're an atheist. Christians largely rolled over like the good little cucks that they are and accepted this.

Then they started trying to equate not liking Islamic ideas with racism, and suddenly there was real pushback. It's undeniable that today, the biggest voices criticizing Islam are atheist, from Sam Harris to BIll Maher to any number of youtube personalities.

>How is that somewhere not God?

Why would it be God?

>Slaves he says. Will be slaves no matter what. Slaves to money slaves to science religion truth our families and even existence it's self.

I don't see why you would be a literal slave to any of those things or how any are equivalent to an omnipotent overlord you have no control over that can see your every thought and sentence you to torture for billions and billions and billions and billions of years.

>if I look at a bush that's on fire and starts talking that's fucking awesome

That's true, but is also probably means you are taking hallucinogenic substances and in the morning you won't feel so great..

>one church father
>Christians
It should be noted that Augustine and Origen were closet Platonists. The Platonists invented the method of symbolical exegesis to interpret the texts of Homer as actually agreeing with the philosophy of Plato. Philo of Alexandria used the same method to interpret the bible. Augustine and Origen didn't come out of nowhere. Christianity's relationship with Platonism is tense though, and some parts of Origen's playonizing theology are downright condemned.

>tfw fan of political islam, barring the conquest and multicultural aspects
>tfw genuinely believe in Christ
Weird feel

But the Christian claim is that the Gospels ARE perfect, inspired by God, and totally free from error, written by people who were eyewitnesses to the events themselves and personally saw Jesus and his miracles, relating them to you, user.

What we instead get are piles of self-ctonradiction with errors so basic that they cast strong doubt as to whether any of the gospels writers were even native Judeans. That's kind of a pretty big deal if you want to use them to assert the factual and supernatural existence of Jesus.

>Why would it be God?
Because that's what God is.

>I don't see why you would be a literal slave to any of those things or how any are equivalent to an omnipotent overlord you have no control over that can see your every thought and sentence you to torture for billions and billions and billions and billions of years.
Because if there is no God then we are slaves to ourselves. The creator of everything has the right to do what it wants with its creation so while i agree that if something else is in control, it sucks we have no choice.

>That's true, but is also probably means you are taking hallucinogenic substances and in the morning you won't feel so great..
Even seeing the normal tree is awesome. We've been givin eyes to see by something, so to say that means everything is fake and an illusion and we are all on drugs

>Of course I can't expect Christians to tell the truth

Take good notes who they hate and you will find the one true God: Satan.

Bible followers are the most hypocritical, fake people you can face, are you going to believe they have the monopoly on reality and truth?

TAKE GOOD NOTES WHO THEY SAY IS THE EVIL ONE.

Satan is the creator, the good one, the savior, HE WAS ALWAYS.

First thing a bible thumper does is come and attack Satan, and claim he's fallen and not a god and an demon and more bullshit.

Yet if you want to find deceit, try and see bible thumpers justify their actions with cherry picked and out of context bullshit from their own mandates that they invented.

You are the creator of everything.

PRAISE THOR

Men are not perfect they make mistakes. Them quarreling over things like that isn't the point compared to God and his purpose. The bible is a guideline on how to act and how God came and died for you and all that not about the importance of genealogies and things like that. And the scripture was inspired by God and writen by men so of course mistakes will happen. The people claim it's perfect but once again they are people and are wrong.

Da fuck? Have you ever even read the Bible? It's pretty clear that Satan works for God. A tempting/prosecuting angel, but still subordinate to the big guy.

And what created me?

Here's how christianity works, kids...

Theism is a tool used by the powerful to subjugate the masses. That's all there is to it. There isn't an "end game" so to speak, it's an ongoing game by the powerful to keep and gain power.

They teach the masses to reproduce and indoctrinate their offspring as effectively as possible. No masturbation. No non-reproductive sex. No abortion. More children means more subjects to rule over: greater tax income, cheaper labour, more expendable soldiers to fight their wars, more social pressure on others to conform. They teach that the poor and unfortunate deserve their lot. It's god's plan for them to suffer, and for the powerful to rule them. Remember to forgive them and turn the other cheek for them, and to put your fellow cucks' interest above your own to the benefit of the powerful.

To put this over on people they invented the ultimate wager: the choice between the greatest of all rewards and the greatest of all punishments. It's that simple. When their lies are exposed they change the goalposts, befuddle, demand faith, and finally threaten with hellfire. It aways works.

What you have to realize is that the powerful preach this stuff but they don't practice it. The popes are sexual predators of the highest order, fucking the tightest and best underage pussy and boipussy the world provides all day every day and sharing it around. Their organisation exists as a massive global tax haven and money laundering firm, that also buys up prime real estate and assets, and helps out their friends with money, contacts, sex, and drugs. Many of them understand that this is how it works, and those few that don't rationalise it to themselves: "it's ok when I do it."

(cont...)

>Because that's what God is.

That's something called "begging the question" as in an argument that builds into the premise that the conclusion is true. Saying God created the Universe because God is defined as creating the Universe is circular.

>Because if there is no God then we are slaves to ourselves.

Sorry, you'll need to expand. You can't be a slave to yourself, that is the opposite of slavery as far as I can see.

>The creator of everything has the right to do what it wants with its creation

Hold your horses. You haven't even begun to establish a creator exists yet.

>We've been givin eyes to see by something, so to say that means everything is fake and an illusion and we are all on drugs

Hold on a second. I never said anything like that. I said if you saw a burning bush talking you are probably on hallucinogenics. A reasonable assumption since this would be a highly improbable occurrence. Like a chicken turning into a purple elephant and talking.

The basic motivation of power is always there when you look for it. Why did christianity spread? Not because of jesus, but because of constantine. Why did constantine convert? Because he saw that these christcucks would do literally anything for their 'god' (read: church bosses) including happily die. He just tapped into that shit. Why did muhammed plagarise christian fanfiction and start his own religion? Because he was a fucking warlord that wanted conquest, riches, and all the pussy he could handle short of his dick dropping off.

What's more likely, that skydaddy sent his only son to earth who is also himself but also separate and sacrificed himself to himself in order to forgive you of a curse that he himself put on you but only if you obey him for life, or that it's a the fucking scam of all scams and you've been tricked into being the ultimate toppest of cucks?

HAIL SATAN.

The bible doesn't have the monopoly on reality, if anything the bible is famous for being the most surreal and contradictory bullshit ever written.

These are more than little mistakes.

Suppose for a second that an apocalyptic nuclear war broke out, destroying almost everything. Somehow, you get sent forward in a time machine to 200 years in the future to escape the devastation.

And society is starting to rebuild, and you come across a "totally authentic" book from the war time. And it talks about the policies, mistakes, and triumphs of Prime Minister Obama. (I assume, by the way, that you're American) And this isn't just one time, Obama is always addressed as Prime Minister when his title is referred to throughout the book, and it does so often.

America doesn't have Prime Ministers. You know that. You also know that that's not the sort of mistake that someone who really was familiar with early 21st century American terms and political mores would make. Do you really believe that this book is written by contemporaries and natives, like it claims?

The Gospels are the same way, although since knowledge of 1st century Judea is a bit more obscure in modern society, it's not as immediately obvious to the layperson. These things were written by people who never, ever met Jesus, and probably didn't speak any language in common with him. They're junk. It's not a message from God, or how God came and died for you, in a perfect sinless offering. I mean hell, the Gospels right out claim that Jesus sinned during the Last Supper by not bringing a proper paschal offering and eating someone else's after just showing up, which is definitely an Old Covenant sin. But of course, none of the Gospel writers and possible editors knew this, so they just lump it along.

>If you are a christian you should follow the bible literally!
>Wait you're a christian? So why arent you dumb?

You entire post sounds like someone a double digit IQ pop science enthusiast who embraces atheism would write

Because christianity is the foundation of the western world, wether you like it or not

It has been around for 2000 years and will outlive you and your great great grandchildren oh wait you probably wont reproduce because you are most likely a fat NEET

What title did they get wrong? And with the offering thing it doesn't matter. God doesn't need to sacrifice to himself. He is the sacrifice for his people. He was there to throw out the old covenant thats why he didn't do it. He is the new
Covenant.

>That's kind of a pretty big deal if you want to use them to assert the factual and supernatural existence of Jesus.

Epic meme, fedora /b/ro

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus

>Because christianity is the foundation of the western world, wether you like it or not

That's not an answer to his question nor is it very specific what you even mean by this. Our laws aren't based on Christianity. Our system of governance isn't based on Christianity.

>It has been around for 2000 years and will outlive you and your great great grandchildren oh wait you probably wont reproduce because you are most likely a fat NEET

And that is just pure shitposting.

Here's a challenge, why don't you try and show us that Christians can do a little bit more than chuck around insults and vague banalities for once?

>That's something called "begging the question" as in an argument that builds into the premise that the conclusion is true. Saying God created the Universe because God is defined as creating the Universe is circular.
Something made all of this

>Sorry, you'll need to expand. You can't be a slave to yourself, that is the opposite of slavery as far as I can see.
Because we know nothing else other than life. We didn't have a choice being here. Since there is no choice on being made because we're here, no choice means we're slaves.

>Hold your horses. You haven't even begun to establish a creator exists yet.
I didn't try to. The man said something about being a slave to God and going to hell or heaven. I said that if there's a God he has the right to do what he wants with his creation.

>Hold on a second. I never said anything like that. I said if you saw a burning bush talking you are probably on hallucinogenics. A reasonable assumption since this would be a highly improbable occurrence. Like a chicken turning into a purple elephant and talking.
I'm saying that seeing anything at all is quite beatiful and amazing to begin with. So how do we know we aren't tripping out whole life?

You should go back to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology

>Shits on other religious ideologies
>Says he is closest to paganism

>Something made all of this

There's no reason to assume that.

>Because we know nothing else other than life. We didn't have a choice being here. Since there is no choice on being made because we're here, no choice means we're slaves.

I don't mean this in a nasty shitposting way but you could kill yourself right now if you wanted so clearly you do have a choice and aren't a slave to life itself.

> I said that if there's a God he has the right to do what he wants with his creation.

Actually you phrased it that there was a creator and he has a right to his creation, but fine. So onto a more interesting question, why would that mean he has a right to his creation. Does a father control a son for life? If an AI was created that was fully self-aware would the creator have the right to control it?

And regardless of the interesting answer to that question how does that get us any closer to God even existing let alone Christianity being true, which are separate questions in themselves?

>I'm saying that seeing anything at all is quite beatiful and amazing to begin with. So how do we know we aren't tripping out whole life?

You could perform an experiment and take some magic mushrooms and see if you are experiencing the world in the same way while under their influence. I'm assuming you aren't walking round the place seeing burning bushes talking most of the time.

>What title did they get wrong?

Among other things, all those local "kings" scattered about Judea.

>And with the offering thing it doesn't matter.

And why not? It's literally a fundamental part of Christian theology, the perfect blood offering to obviate the need for further, imperfect ones.

>He is the sacrifice for his people.

How do you know this? Ultimately, your source derives from the Gospels, and they weren't' even written by people who were there.

> He was there to throw out the old covenant thats why he didn't do it.

So, then you admit that God lied to millions of people back in the Old Testament when he promised that the Old Covenant would be around forever?

> He is the new
Covenant.

You mean the thing you're supposed to stone a prophet for claiming?

>if you want to use them

Learn to read, retard.

So?

I'm not disputing most people in the West have been Christians.

The problem with the argument you appear to be trying to make is that you are cherry picking. If you are saying science is thanks to Christianity just because most people in the West were Christians and therefore most proto-scientists were Christians are you saying that, for example, feudalism was down to Christianity?

Religion, specifically Christianity, boils down to two things:

1. Just hoping that someone bigger can potentially help them through the hardest of times, get back on their feet, keep their life on track, etc.

2. Fear of death.

>There's no reason to assume that.
look around

>I don't mean this in a nasty shitposting way but you could kill yourself right now if you wanted so clearly you do have a choice and aren't a slave to life itself.
I have a choice now because I am alive. I didn't have a choice in being made alive.

>Actually you phrased it that there was a creator and he has a right to his creation, but fine. So onto a more interesting question, why would that mean he has a right to his creation. Does a father control a son for life? If an AI was created that was fully self-aware would the creator have the right to control it?
I worded it like that referring to the man in the video talking about heaven and hell implying there is a God. And you say a right to his creation. His creation. So yes he should have that right. As with a father and son, eventually no. But that's different compared to God and his sons. And with the AI yes because he created it, he can do what he wants. I don't necessarily agree with everything but it is what it is.

>And regardless of the interesting answer to that question how does that get us any closer to God even existing let alone Christianity being true, which are separate questions in themselves?
I don't know how it would get us closer to God. The only thing I can think of is he has given us free will to choose.

>You could perform an experiment and take some magic mushrooms and see if you are experiencing the world in the same way while under their influence. I'm assuming you aren't walking round the place seeing burning bushes talking most of the time.
No but it doesn't make it any less or any more real than it is. We are still experiencing it so it is real to us

>look around

Not an argument.

>I didn't have a choice in being made alive.

And? If you are saying the only thing that makes you a slave is that you are alive then there is the other obvious option that is entirely within your own grasp.

>But that's different compared to God and his sons.
>The only thing I can think of is he has given us free will to choose.

You keep asserting your own pre-existing religious beliefs like it is some sort of undisputed fact.

Why is it different to the God you haven't shown any evidence of existence for?

What possible evidence do you have that anything gave us 'free will', whatever the hell that is?

>No but it doesn't make it any less or any more real than it is.

I'm confused. Are you claiming seeing talking burning bushes is an every day occurrence or not?

>Among other things, all those local "kings" scattered about Judea.
Kings princes whatever they call them, just words for important people not that big of a deal

>And why not? It's literally a fundamental part of Christian theology, the perfect blood offering to obviate the need for further, imperfect ones.
Because He is the perfect blood offering.

>How do you know this? Ultimately, your source derives from the Gospels, and they weren't' even written by people who were there.
They were his disciples. He told them what would happen and they heard it happened. Some saw some didn't.

>So, then you admit that God lied to millions of people back in the Old Testament when he promised that the Old Covenant would be around forever?
Not the old but the covenant of himself always being there for his people. Not the laws itself.

>You mean the thing you're supposed to stone a prophet for claiming
People are supposed to do a lot of things they don't. He proved himself to everyone by his miracles.

>People are supposed to do a lot of things they don't. He proved himself to everyone by his miracles.

If this was true, he wouldn't have been crucified in the first place and there would be no more jews.

>Kings princes whatever they call them, just words for important people not that big of a deal

It indicates unfamiliarity with local customs and titles. Why would a bunch of native Judeans following around Jesus not know what their own chiefs are called?

>Because He is the perfect blood offering.

Not according to the Gospels, given that he's apparently a stand in for a paschal offering (nothing to do with sin) and sins himself.

>They were his disciples. He told them what would happen and they heard it happened. Some saw some didn't.

Unlikely, given that the sorts of errors in the Gospels points to a foreign origin, not a Judean one.

>Not the old but the covenant of himself always being there for his people. Not the laws itself.

You might want ot check out Deuteronomy 4:40. Keeping the "statutes and commandments" is something that is supposed to happen forever.

>People are supposed to do a lot of things they don't. He proved himself to everyone by his miracles.

Again, read Deuteronomy, this time, chapter 13. Miracles are expressly NOT proof as to why you should listen to someone.

>Not an argument.
This conversation doesn't exist

>And? If you are saying the only thing that makes you a slave is that you are alive then there is the other obvious option that is entirely within your own grasp.
it's because I didn't have a choice in being made, that's why I am a slave. To life.

>You keep asserting your own pre-existing religious beliefs like it is some sort of undisputed fact.
I keep saying if God exist like the man in the video and try to give explanations on that idea

>Why is it different to the God you haven't shown any evidence of existence for?
I'm just saying God made everything, if there is a God. So anything that he made is his and he can do what he wants with it.
>What possible evidence do you have that anything gave us 'free will', whatever the hell that is?
You make your own choices. Free will

>I'm confused. Are you claiming seeing talking burning bushes is an every day occurrence or not?
I'm saying whatever we experience is real to us. It doesn't matter what other people think or say. If I trip on shrooms, I tripped on shrooms. The trip existed even if it was in my own head.

>pagan

lmao

religions that believe that jerking off with mud in your asshole so your crops will grow better is the least logical of all beliefs.

They rejected him because he said he was the Son of God and God. Just because they didn't like him doesn't make what he did or say any less true.
If curry sucks and wins finals mvp and I think he doesn't deserve it it doesn't change the fact that he still won it

All religions are equally illogical and your strawman regarding polytheism is asinine.

You literally eat your God. Be careful whom you call illogical.

>it's because I didn't have a choice in being made, that's why I am a slave. To life.
>You make your own choices. Free will

You seem to be getting your own arguments mixed up. You're saying you are a slave and have no free will just through living but at the same time you have free will and the only variable you are chucking into the mix to give you "free will" is a being that has complete power over everything you do?

That makes no sense.

>I'm saying whatever we experience is real to us. It doesn't matter what other people think or say. If I trip on shrooms, I tripped on shrooms. The trip existed even if it was in my own head.

So you are a solipsist that says nothing is real? How does that chime with claiming objective truths of a real God that made a real Universe?

>It indicates unfamiliarity with local customs and titles. Why would a bunch of native Judeans following around Jesus not know what their own chiefs are called?
they were poor and fisherman why would they know? I don't even know my congressman or anything like that

>Not according to the Gospels, given that he's apparently a stand in for a paschal offering (nothing to do with sin) and sins himself.
what. What does it say

>Unlikely, given that the sorts of errors in the Gospels points to a foreign origin, not a Judean one.
like what

>You might want ot check out Deuteronomy 4:40. Keeping the "statutes and commandments" is something that is supposed to happen forever.
happen for ever? What the Ten Commandments? That everyone break one way or another. It's a guideline on how to live. We still follow this. But when we fail we repent to God and he forgives us thanks to Jesus

>Again, read Deuteronomy, this time, chapter 13. Miracles are expressly NOT proof as to why you should listen to someone
Then what determines who they listen too? He healed people, said what would happen and it did, did miracles and fulfilled the scriptures

>You seem to be getting your own arguments mixed up. You're saying you are a slave and have no free will just through living but at the same time you have free will and the only variable you are chucking into the mix to give you "free will" is a being that has complete power over everything you do?

That makes no sense.

You are making it make no sense. I have a choice now to go away forever but I didn't have a choice of being here in the first place.

>So you are a solipsist that says nothing is real? How does that chime with claiming objective truths of a real God that made a real Universe?
I'm saying it's not any less or more real than a tree outside. A burning bush that talks is no less absurd than anything we've ever seen. Everything is beatiful and magical.

Lol. Rekt.

>I'm saying it's not any less or more real than a tree outside. A burning bush that talks is no less absurd than anything we've ever seen. Everything is beatiful and magical.

So you are saying Christianity is not objectively true and there is no such thing as objective truth. Fair enough. It's fascinating to watch you rip apart the philosophical foundations of Christianity.

>I have a choice now to go away forever.

Now you are claiming Heaven and Hell aren't real and that you have a choice in existing.

I'm glad you are agreeing with me and disputing the notion God exists.

>they were poor and fisherman why would they know? I don't even know my congressman or anything like that

But you know that there ARE congressmen, and that your country has them. You know English, and can presumably tell the difference between an English word and a German word, despite them using the same alphabet. John couldn't.

>what. What does it say

It says that he didn't offer a paschal offering on time, and showed up to someone's house in Jerusalem, and had his disciples go over to someone's place for the last supper. You need to be involved when the lamb is being offered for it to count, you can't just show up after it's already been sacrificed to have a bite.

>like what

Like how according to Mark, he goes through Tyre via Sidon, some 200 miles out of his way. Like how Mark starts off by "quoting" Isaiah except the line he gives is from Malachai. Like how perfect Jesus misquotes the OT in Matthew. Like how he's there to fulfill the prophecy that the Messiah is a nazarene, when there is no such prophecy in the OT. Like how the priests in John didn't want to go visit Pilate, because it would contaminate them from bringing the pesach, which wouldn't be the case unless there were a few dead bodies laying around that nobody mentioned. Like how the "Pharisees" get mad about Jesus healing on the sabbath, when touching someone and offering a prayer doesn't count as any Pharisee definition of "work", and how it was the Sadducees, not the Pharisees, who thought you could break the sabbath for serious health concerns, even something like a sore throat.

part 2

>happen for ever? What the Ten Commandments?

No, all of them. Be honest with me, have you EVER read the Old Testament?

>That everyone break one way or another.

God disagrees with you, deuteronomy 30:11.

>It's a guideline on how to live. We still follow this.

No you don't. Christianity explicitly says that the old covenant is gone and done with, and that it was never worth anything to begin wtih.

>But when we fail we repent to God and he forgives us thanks to Jesus

What makes you think Jesus is any part of that equation.

>Then what determines who they listen too?

Why don't you read the Bible and find out?

>fulfilled the scriptures

If you had bothered to actually read up on the old covenant, you'd realize that the term is meaningless. You don't "fulfill" it and then it's done. It's a compact between Israel and God, to be followed for good.

>Why don't you read the Bible and find out?

Everyone's read the book with a talking donkey in it, user, except most Christians, that's why they are Christians.

Come to think of it. The whole "argument" for the trinity is that there is three persons and one essence. But they say that the Eucharist also has the essence of God, so it's four gods then, Yahweh, Jesus, the Holy Ghost and.., bread!

>Jesus is the Eucharist

But Jesus is wholly man and wholly God, not wholly bread! So you either have to change the creed, or admit that the bread is a fourth God!

Don't forget the cheap red wine, user.

Now we're up to five.

The Flying Palestinian, the Angry Monster who commands people to be killed for picking up sticks, Casper the Ghost, a Wafer and Some Cheap French Plonk.

We get it. You've never read it user.

I'm not a Christian so obviously I have read it.

>So the people came to Moses and said, "We have sinned, because we have spoken against the LORD and you; intercede with the LORD, that He may remove the serpents from us." And Moses interceded for the people. 8Then the LORD said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a standard; and it shall come about, that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, he will live." 9And Moses made a bronze serpent and set it on the standard; and it came about, that if a serpent bit any man, when he looked to the bronze serpent, he lived

Why don't you read the Bhagavad Gita? I mean if it's alright for the bible to be "symbolical" and still true why not every religious text ever?

Dear Christians, you're missing the point of the thread. Tell us why you identify as Christians even though the bible and Christianity are not true. Don't come trying to argue that Christianity is true, that's quite insulting t b h, it's like you don't respect us or something. Why the disrespectful, condescending treatment? We respect you. Let's be honest with each other. So Christianity is obviously not true. Why be Christian?

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't respect Christians. I might respect someone in spite of being a Christian, but I can't really respect Christianity as a religion.

Maybe you're right. Maybe we shouldn't. Buried respect them inasmuch as I concede to them the capacity of rationality, which leads inevitably to the conclusion that the bible isn't, at least literally, true. If I assumed that they literally believed in the bible, I would think of them as animals or children, not as men. Let us therefore assume that they are rational adult men or women, and let us hear true explanation as to why it is more profitable to (pretend to) believe in lies rather than the truth?

But I, not buried
Their, not truer
Damn phone

You can't honestly expect Christians to produce reasoning that doesn't involve either posting Christians in funny hats with fake 'atheist' comments plastered over them or reciting bible quotes under the illusion that everyone respects books with talking animals in them as an authority.

You expect too much from those poor people.

Moses was the nigger of prophets in general.
Makes commandments about not killing, walks down the hill sees em idolators and starts killing.
Godamnit.

Abraham was at least consistent, went around, tried to minimize trouble and was generally quiet merciful while not taking shit from the guys that wanted his half-sister.

Also is the cornerstone of the coming monotheistic faiths about why human sacrifiece is a no no.

I wonder why the mandeans dont like him.

>Don't come trying to argue that Christianity is true
Why be a fan of television shows? Why be a fan of art in general? Why not live in a utilitarian concrete cell with only basic amenities?

The whole point of interpreting the Bible metaphorically is that you can read a parable like the Prodigal Son and apply its insights to your own life without the distraction of wondering whether there was actually a prodigal son or not. You can enjoy it as a work of pure narrative and recognize that these are stories which countless thousands across a wide variety of locations and times have wanted to read, and who apply these stories to their daily lives. You can appreciate Jesus not as a divine despot but as a revolutionary thinker in the field of ethics, whose words and parables fundamentally altered the way society organizes labor, shifting away from the slave owning societies of antiquity and towards the feudal model where at least rulers established a legal precedent before depriving someone of their labor

>They think bread and wine are deities
>They think trinitarianism is polytheism
You heathens are a riot

And yet Jesus never had a problem with slavery, and neither did early Christainity. It's only with the rise of Germanic influence, not Christian influence, that slavery in Europe starts to soften into serfdom, which at least in certain instances wasn't really all that different.

When you say "they" you mean "you", right?

>Transubstantiation (in Latin, transsubstantiatio, in Greek μετουσίωσις metousiosis) is, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, the change of substance by which the bread and the wine offered in the sacrifice of the sacrament of the Eucharist during the Mass, become, in reality, the Body and Blood of Jesus the Christ.[1][2][3]

>The Catholic Church teaches that the substance, or reality, of the Eucharistic offering (either bread alone, or bread and wine) is changed into both the Body and Blood of Christ

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation

Tell us more about your tasty gods.

What part of Jesus are you eating after your wizard has performed his spells over the food? The toenails? The penis?

>And yet Jesus never had a problem with slavery, and neither did early Christainity.
Slavery did not possess the racial determinism that it has in its modern conception, but was instead seen as a natural and proper "civilizing" process for conquered peoples. Slaves in antiquity were often paid wages and could purchase their freedom, and were often were freed by their masters upon their master's death.

Jesus's point was that if people treat each other in a loving matter then concepts like slavery and freedom become meaningless. His point was that you don't need a bunch of commandments telling people what not to do if you have 2 really effective ones: love God with all your heart and love your neighbors like yourself.

>It's only with the rise of Germanic influence, not Christian influence,
I think it's more accurate to say that it was the collapse of the more primitive Roman model which allowed the then thoroughly Christianized Germanic influence to take root in the power vacuum.

>every post I don't like is from /pol/

Stop shitting this board up.

>In Eden, it would have been possible to beget offspring without foul lust. The sexual organs would have been stimulated into necessary activity by will-power alone, just as the will controls other organs. Then, without being goaded on by the allurement of passion, the husband could have relaxed upon his wife's breasts with complete peace of mind and bodily tranquility, that part of his body not activated by tumultuous passion, but brought into service by the deliberate use of power when the need arose, the seed dispatched into the womb with no loss of his wife's virginity. So, the two sexes could have come together for impregnation and conception by an act of will, rather than by lustful cravings (City of God, Book 14, Chapter 26).

This is secondhand embarrassing to read.

Not that guy, but the only one shitting this board up is the one calling Muslims mud shits. It doesn't actually contribute anything to the conversation but probably drives away Muslims who would probably otherwise contribute to the discussion.

Oh come off it.

Did you actually read the post that I replied to saying that?

I stand by my accurate response and it has nothing to do with "every post you don't like is from /pol/".

The same could be said of any literary text of any worth ever produced, and yet people don't claim they are the standard of truth and should be obeyed at at the cost of eternal damnation. What you just described has nothing to do with Christianity.

This sounds boring as fuck.

Paraphrasing one famous national socialist politician: Here on earth we get to enjoy the msic of Wagner; in heaven, just monophonic heavenly choirs.

Yeah, but if you are looking at Jesus that way then quite honestly there is virtually nothing new or of value in his teachings (as claimed in the gospels). The vast majority of it is about how he is a magic worker and about to make the apocalypse happen. Strip away the mumbo jumbo and you have little more than banality.

This. Why not incorporate the Dhammapada or the analects of Confucius in the bible if all you're looking for is "life-lessons"? Why threaten other people with eternity in hell if they don't follow this cautionary tale instead of that?

Where are all the christposters of Veeky Forums?

In church? It is Sunday.

They come out when the Americans are awake.

Don't worry once the Europeans are asleep the thread will be flooded with angry American Protestants quoting the bible incoherently and expecting everyone else to treat is as authoritative and whining about how Jesus rode a dinosaur.

Christians would have Socrates and Epictetus in hell, and yet have polygamous Bedouin warlords and child rapist priests in heaven. That is unforgivable.

>The vast majority of it is about how he is a magic worker
Actually, the vast majority of it are parables
>A parable is a succinct, didactic story, in prose or verse, which illustrates one or more instructive lessons or principles. It differs from a fable in that fables employ animals, plants, inanimate objects, or forces of nature as characters, whereas parables have human characters. A parable is a type of analogy.

And even his "magic" stories can be interpreted this way. His loaves and fishes argument could very well be interpreted as Jesus preaching the virtues of redistributing scarce resources in an equitable manner

Because the writings of other religions require their own context, which in turn requires a life time of study and heuristic application. These works should be read for historiographic purposes, but trying to apply them in a spiritual sense leads to a very shallow and incomplete application of religious principles, the classic example being the "beat" generation and their shallow, commercialistic infatuation with Zen buddhism.