Sunburn

So while sitting in the backyard today I got pic related (not me though).

It made me wonder, how did ancient europeans handle sunburn? If they would be made up of sun-sensitive individuals they would surely feel the negative impact of being outside all day, unprotected.

So how did the fuckers do it? How were they special?
Did they just wear clothes? Were they genetically different from current white europeans in a way that mad them more resistant to sunburn? Did they use herbs/natural remedies?

All the way from pre-historic europeans all the way until the invention of sunblock.

Tell me Veeky Forums, TELL ME

the seasons give a natural base for a tan, the problem is that we spend the majority of our time inside then SUDDENLY spend all day outside in summer.

And there are several folk remedies for this kind of thing, honey, yoghurt, oat paste, bee wax etc.

/thread

people that got in the sun never needed sunblock, they just worked in the sun and got gradualy tanned, or burned, same as they got calouses on their hands and feet or say, frostbite in winter

look at older peoples skin if you go trough a rural or seaside area

on the other hand smooth white skin was a sign of distinction, a sign you dont have to actualy work outside, upper class women acted like direct sunlight is toxic

also, hats

large straw hats

It's not that complicated, Europe doesn't get that much sunlight. There are other groups that are more anomalous.

I gathered from the King's Sagas. (it's a little unrelated) An old man told his sons to get out and do some work because the weather was nice and they were slacking too much inside the house. Some things never change.

Sailors were aware that they should wear clothes and hats to shade. That has worked and it still works fine.

>yoghurt

Did ancient europeans had yoghurt?

>Be Anglo living in Texas
>Geez why do I get sunburned, it's almost like my skin was not made at all for this type of environment.

European natives don't sunburn unless you have Brits who go full retard in the Spanish beaches. And even they can tan properly if they werent so fucking stupid.

Enjoy your skin cancer OP

Also to answer your question, not many fair skinned people lived in hot, Mediterranean climates. The ones that did used ointments distiller from plants to deal with any burns they did receive. This was actually a problem for Germanic tribes who migrated to North Africa solved by wearing hats and harvesting Aloe which herbalists used to make creams.

Probably yeah, considering most of them were pastoralists until (relatively) recently and yoghurt has been found in Kurgan tombs.

But being tanned doesn't prevent sunburns completely.

Also, this year and the last I spend a lot of my time, everyday, working outside.
I started in winter and kept on doing it into summer. I did get sunburns, when the weather suddenly cleared, as it tends to do. Also at the times when it got too hot to work with a shirt on.

>So while sitting in the backyard today I got pic related

Where do you live, OP? If the answer is not Western/Northern Europe, then there's your answer. There isn't much UV radiation in those areas.

But you're not perpetually outside like most Europeans would have been.

I'm a white guy who's lived in Florida my whole life. Life in warm climates before air conditioning, sunscreen, and acceptibility of wearing shorts and tank tops seems hellish.

they got tanned

The netherlands, mostly shit weather here, although the north (where I live) has been spared of the floodings, thunder and hailstorms that the south's been dealing with lately. We actually get nice weather for once. Perhaps it's indeed the sudden switch, like other anons suggested

My southern school's freshman dorms didn't have AC so I melted for the first and last few weeks and you gradually get used to the discomfort.

baggy clothing keeps you cool cause that's how insulation works

pro tip

I'm not sure most would have been perpetually outside. They had houses too.

Idk about you but when I wear sweat pants and a long sleeve I feel cooler than wearing shorts and a tank top.

They probably just chilled in the shade during the hottest part of the day and avoiding the worst UV.

A tan will save you from a lot. Not everything, but a lot and if you're outside all day every day you will naturally get that protection. The issue with that image is that the guy went from likely white as a sheet and threw himself under some hardcore UV rays and his body paid the price.

It is possible that there was a gene that allowed for better tanning that has since been hidden since it was no longer needed. For example, my dad does not tan He goes red and freckly but never really bronzed. I tan better than he does but I still burn easily. My friend just goes brown. I have had times when I am shedding layers of skin from my burns and he's just bronzed. The same goes for my girlfriend, but she's Asian so I don't know what's up with their skin.

>girlfriend, but she's Asian so I don't know what's up with their skin.

If you burn in the Netherlands you must be a complete retard. Did you never learn how to deal with the summer in the primary schools.

t. other Dutchman

Yogurt is a bulgarian invention.

True in dry heat, but not in the humidity.

>It made me wonder, how did ancient europeans handle sunburn?
They wore long tunics and hats or coifs. Not very much of their skin was exposed to direct sunlight. As you can see from your pic related's ass, that protects from the sun pretty well.

Anyway, sorry about your sun tan. That shit sucks.
t. whitest guy I know

>sun tan
I mean sunburn

one of the things youre missing is that no one realy asked them how they feel about that, they just had to make up ways to deal with it, same as cold

Robes are better for the hot weather desu

Even east Asians are kind of weird in that they can get really pale but still tan quite easily.

I sat outside for 2 hours

What the fuck am I supposed to do if I want a tan

There was basically nothing to do at home.

They would've go out to dance, listen to music and stories, drink and dance some more.

>Apply suncream
>Sit 45 mins max
>Go back inside for 15, make a drink
>Repeat
It ain't hard

Ride your bicycle to the nearest train station and make use of Spain's crumbling economy.

your genitals would get some air at least, in ancient greece they would be dangling around freely, they probably exposed themselves when they sat down or were running.

Why would making a drink last 15 minutes

I was studying outside, so going inside and outside snaps me out of my concentration
Staying indoors the whole day is a shame if it's one of the 20 actual good weather days

>inb4 underage
I am a unifag

>were running
Sports were done in the nude, so yes, they would be very exposed.

This. You are also now aware that seasonal allergies are strictly a modern, sub/urban affliction.

They became permanently tanned, I'm pale as fuck but my dad is pretty much brown even in the winter due to a lifetime of working outside

Heb je geen zonnescherm?

30C + 90% humidity is literally hell. not a single fucking thing you can do without AC

Een beetje zonde van het geld, ik zit niet zo veel buiten.
Heb ook niet zo heel veel ruimte

That's what the weather's like today. Overcast, 80 something, occasional thunderstorms, extremely humid.

The weather was much better yesterday when it was 97 and sunny with relatively low humidity for florida.

Damn you suck at tanning.

10-15 minutes MAX if you're starting from nothing.

t. Norwegian outdoors enthusiast scared of sunscreen

>Norwegian

cheating

>in ancient greece they would be dangling around freely
i thought they tied the tip to string around their waist to stop it from flopping around.

>your genitals would get some air at least, in ancient greece they would be dangling around freely, they probably exposed themselves when they sat down or were running.
Truly a more civilised time.

When will we over come the trouser-degeneracy?

>tan
>sunburn
>callouses on hands
>frostbite in winter
you what? tans and callouses are the ones in that group that represent a built up resistance, the other two are actual injuries that create no addition protection after healing, only lasting damage in extreme cases. doesn't change your point, but still

of course they did, that or other dairy products
you have to remember that our ancestors were all lactose intolerant, and that dairy consumption started with cheese and yoghurts because it's easier to digest than milk