Giving up hobbies to become successful

Has anyone here given up video games, drawing, etc to become financially successful ?

Yes, I gave up games, /pol/ etc. anything that can distract me
I basically only do productive shit. I trade and make $ all day and read/study
it was hard until I realized ill have all the time in the world to go back to that stuff, now is a time in my life to make $

Are you happy?

The true way to become successful is finding a way to make money with your passion. And for that you need to git gud.

Stop just playing video games because you're a lazy NEET. Become Pewdiepie.
Seriously, it has never been easier making money with video games than ever before.

Or become a reviewer. Or whatever the fuck. Just put work into it you lazy bum

All I have to do to make money down the line is go to college for ee. I have plenty of time to play video games and go to the gym and work a part time job. I'm not falling for a meme. Fuck you op.

Completely, I realized the real fun can be materialized by hard work and money. Everything I was involved with before was a shallow entertainment. Why spend 6 hours playing a game, when I can spend 6 hours becoming financially literate and actually benefiting my life.
When my dad was murdered I spent about 8 months at home with no work or school or car, just guitar, saved money and my computer.
After 8 months of games, bullshtting, drinking, smoking, I had some realizations.
For the next two weeks since it started I realized I am 20 y/o, thats 10 years from 30, and If I want to have the life that I want, I need to make a significant change. I dont know any millionaires who play games all day or bullshit around. They tend to do that when they are financially successful, I dont want to be a povertyfag and do what all the poorfags do. I needed to make positive changes.
I mean if youre gonna sit for 6 hours and either level up 10 times, or make a few hundred or thousand learning and trading or whatever it is you can focus on, I realized id much rather make $

Anything besides $ has rarely any worth to this world. It took time to break out of being this gluttonous person who lives for entertainment and begin to focus on structuring myself like s successful adult

>I dont know any millionaires who play games all day or bullshit around.

Notch?

Honestly, unless something is downright detrimental to your well being, never just quit if you enjoy it. I generally only give up certain hobbies if I become disenchanted with some aspect of it and genuinely dislike the activity, or if some other activity captures my interest more. In my opinion, the act of giving up certain things you enjoy for the purpose of financial security is a fundamental issue in our culture. Look at anyone that has ever been successful, not just financially but personally. They will constantly stress a healthy balance between work and life and do everything in their power to maintain that balance.

Never settle for one option, only settle for figuring out how to have both.

Notch worked hard before he made it. It wasnt all fun and games.

Also Notch had an idea for a game, and ran with it. He is lucky to have a vision for something that is also considered entertainment and profitable.

I know there are plenty like him, but to be a notch its rare.

be realistic, most people who's value arent based on looks, etc, entertainment have to work very hard to break a mil.
Business men work hours and days and maybe years and have a mindset to put the money first.

Keep in mind, I am not trying to blanket generalize everyone. But rarely do you get a Bilzarian or Notch

>tiny house close to other houses
>Ford Fusion
>financially successful

Shkreli. Ever watch his YouTube channel? All he does is play agar.io, bullshit with people on cam sites, and strum Brand New sings on his guitar.

Notch is an absolutely mediocre programmer who unashamedly copied another game (infiniminer) and got lucky. Not exactly a guy to model yourself off.

He is already a millionaire... what do you expect him to do?
You dont think he had to work hard to get through school and up the ladders??

Was he born into his NYC condo with millions of $ and head of a pharma company?
no
and he definitely didnt get there by play Agar.io like he does now

I agree, he is a small guy who got bought out
not much of a sustainable sort of wealth
trust me im not modeling myself after him

this guy brought forward the example of notch

get your overrated feminine feelings meme out of fucking here, why the fuck will happiness be the meaning of life?
u know what the meaning was in the middle ages was? pride. have some you brain dead retard

>When my dad was murdered

also was it hard to stop wasting time? did you do it gradually or did you just do go all out

I have actually done both. Even thinking of selling my motorbike to buy a new laptop as I'm at school for software development.

I am thinking however of picking up the pen again as design skill are pretty critical for software and web design.

Even video games and VR require some art skills.

That shit really emotionally drained me and actually helped push me to be a better person with better goals. His death really fucked with me but also helped reinforce that I now am on my own to make a path for myself
>also was it hard to stop wasting time? did you do it gradually or did you just do go all out

Both man.

For about the last month before I changed my act, I started getting negative feelings every time I slacked off and played games or smoked weed. I would sit there and my conscience would eat me up, feeling as if the world is closing in on me everyday I waited to get something done. Every time I would toke, I would feel like "man, im really just fucking doing nothing, this isnt the behavior of a MAN who wants to make his dreams come true at the fastest rate possible. So in that sense it was gradually eroding me.

Then in a matter of two weeks I got myself together and only focused on productivity. It is like I needed a fair amount of time to really convince myself to enjoy the work. It took all the slacking in the world to make me feel like I gave to move up.

From there on I started waking up everyday at 7am just to form a good habit of being up earlier than 12pm. I began reading, teaching myself finance, econ, etc. Going to bed at 9am.

Then as I used my time to learn, I started trading, waking up at 6am for market open and started making money. It was a change from doing nothing and my god do i feel infinitely better about myself, and my future. i am happier than I was before. I am having wholesome entertainment. Instead of playing 200hours on Rust or Bf4 or whatever

>selling motorbike
Don't do it lad.

I stopped playing video games because I became successful.

Success rendered escapism unnecessary.

I'm considering getting a used motorcycle for short commutes to and from work.

Worth it?

Haha, well it would make a good story when I'm a millionaire app developer. It's only a ninja 300 and I fucked up the first oil change as I did it myself. Stripped the thread on the drain plug.

It's amazing. So much fun. Depending on your local rules you can lane filter (ride between stopped cars at traffic lights.) which really cuts down commute times.

How do you be successful?
I've been sitting here without a job watching my savings dwindle until I starve to death.

Just take the time you spent on video games and multiply it with the minimum wage, you will see how much it has been holding you back...

No. I dropped out of college twice because of WOW addiction. Finally finished my 4 year degree 7 years later. Got a full time job and continued to spend hours each day on computer. Traded some of that computer time to Muay Thai but it's all just games anyway. Stumbled onto a new job that let me work from home. IT's 'full time' but I can do the work in 1-2hrs per day so now I play even more games, waste even more time, and get paid even more money.

I waste even more time now as a guy with 3 work-from-home jobs than I did as an unemployed college drop-out.

2015 total income is $120k USD on my 1040.

I've never felt so unsuccessful and pathetic. It's like I'm paid every day to do absolutely nothing and it's not as fun as I thought it would be.

What did you study to get that?

Whats the best kind for something like riding in an urban area, to and from work? I'm not planning on street fighting or going on long cruises, as a matter of fact I'd probably prefer to stay off the highway for a bit. An old Yamaha or Honda cruiser or something?

Not yet completely. I'm a wage cuck at the moment which as reduced my hobby time but in the future I'll probably become an entrepreur which will take all of my time.

What degree? Compu. Sci?

What kind of job? Remote sysadmin?

I tried Comp Sci but dropped out after 2 semesters. Transferred to Humanities.

What's your actual job tho

nah but i gave up hanging out with friends

Didn't really "give up" video games, I simply gradually lost interest. Turned 23 year old today ;<

Feels bad man, feel old as shit now.

I gave up every hobby cold turkey, I try to consume myself with work all hours of the day now. I have increased my income by exactly $40 over 4 months, $10/month of passive income. I'm going to try and increase it over the next few months.

this is such bs, user go kill yourself

happy b-day mate, i am also turning 21 today!

>spending your 21st on Veeky Forums

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Although I turned it last month and I was probably here too.

>dad
sry about your loss user

Ahh yes, good goyim! Stop trying to enjoy your life! Video games are degenerate! I'm going to need you to come in for triple overtime this week.

If you're a lazy ass, the first step is realizing nothing will get better unless you work to do so.
So you give up on hobbies, friends, social life "for a while". After some time you'll have made it, but inevitably you transformed yourself into the kind of man you wouldn't want to hang around with, because all he does is talk about his money and his success. You became alienated from your peers so much that you cant go back now, so you march ahead and do what you did 10x as hard.

Enjoy your wasted youth, your mcMansions and your trophy wife while normal people formed relationships/friendships that will last a lifetime.

Ding ding.

Is that really a Ford fusion? That's funny. I'm not really familiar with low end autos.

not him but absolutely. finding a purpose in your life and working hard towards it will make you feel truly fulfilled. trying to get little dopamine hits off video games like a low grade drug addict never will

>After some time you'll have made it, but inevitably you transformed yourself into the kind of man you wouldn't want to hang around with, because all he does is talk about his money and his success.

that's so stupid. you can be a successful person and still be sociable and have humility. in fact being sociable is an integral part of being successful.

No, in fact it's probably better if you take up some hobbies. Some things to consider seriously getting into are sports like golf or fishing or even basketball. I really wish I knew how to play golf, as that would give me a huge networking in.

What about fullfilling hobbies?
What about hobbies that might make you money once you get to the necessary skill level?

>Middle Ages

Also known as the dark ages, and now you know why.

Happy bday as well m8.

never forget about the little people.

>le backwards medieval ages meme
I bet you think they believed that the earth was flat too.