Is putting that you were a raid leader in world of Warcraft on a resume a meme...

Is putting that you were a raid leader in world of Warcraft on a resume a meme? People tell me they did that to show they have leading experience and stuff.

depends on the position, those last 5/10 years the gaming meme payed off in job interviews
if u'r gonna be a fucking baker who gives a fuck

I have some Nordstrom shares I will sell you.

I chuckled.

If your guild managed Realm first (or even close to it) on heroic or mythic (and explaining the significance of a realm first, ie: thousands of other guilds competing) I bet they would understand that you did well

if anyone would being that shit up on an interview with me i would instantly think:
"oh hey an other wot retard that will pretend to work and play mmo all day no thanks goodbye"

we had these fuckers from time to time some even stayed in late night playing on the company net because it was better than his home net.

Doing work means doing team work. It doesn't matter if it's in a soccer game, on a board game, in Molten Core or in someone's yard. It's all work that needs to be done and your ability to be successful is requisite on your skill in working with others. If you have a personal experience that taught you something about how to better function in the work place, then you can use that as leverage in your pursuit for a job. The details surrounding that job experience don't matter in the slightest, what really matters is how you can express that experience and why it's relevant to the job.

That said, putting that on your resume means you should be taking a few things into consideration: you're going to need to describe why the experience is relevant (teamwork, responsibility, success), you're going to need to explain how what you did was novel or interesting (my raid beat naxxramas when only 2% of the 10+ million players could even give it a shot) and you need to make sure they know it was not done in a professional capacity (unless you were actually being paid).

Phrase it so it sounds like you left your (mom's) basement more than thrice this decade and you might have a chance.

It's a direct leap from leading 30 disorganized neckbeards to managing a wendys staffed by drug addicts.

I say go for it.

i wouldn't go as far as saying which game it was. just use bullshit language about organizing events and leading X number of people in various activities, and that you were committed for Y number of years to an active team of hobbyists. if the interview gets to that point and you can read that the guy you're talking to might know something about video games, then you can mention WoW, but otherwise you'd just say it's an online game that you became very accomplished at in terms of the social experience and the technical challenges/puzzles or whatever.

all my interviewers were stupidly impressed that i played soccer for 10 years so im sure a lot of things can make you seem interesting if you write them down, but being interesting doesn't mean you're qualified. but yeah language is hugely important depending on the culture. if you're going to be a tech support geek then go for all the autism you can put on paper. if you want to be a business analyst or a scientist then you have to be much more careful.

Would be risky. Would probably backfire if the person looking at your resume is some old stuffy fellow. If it's a young guy it would probably be a boost.

No, don't put it on a resume. You probably did learn soft skills that will translate into your work though.

I used to be a leader in a video game that involved a lot of diplomacy and problem solving to unite "guilds" together (and battlefield strategy) to fight another force of usually more numbers. Let me tell you senpai, there is nothing more tiring than dealing with 30+ year old manchildren who devoted their life to a video game so they can run their guild. They take it so seriously and constantly have disputes with other guilds over stupid shit which I had to resolve on a monthly basis.

Translated IRL that people seem to naturally follow me.

There are better ways to word it you know. Organized large parties or what ever sounds a bit better than played video games.

interesting.
i'm a good strategist very good at organizing work and challenging everyone on his or her respective level and skills.
but people don't naturally follow me. it's a rare occurrence i can show this off because if i try to take initiative it tends to be ignored.
when i'm the project leader i do ten times better than any colleague, but if i try to organize a celebration in a pub it just doesn't happen.

It's a meme. It's people tricking you into exposing your NEETness in your resume. Don't be a tard m8

Really depends on who reads it, many would respect that but older guys might just think you are childish or a 'nerd' because they only know WoW from its lampooning in pop culture.

I work at a top tier law firm and one of my colleagues put their LoL skills (one of the top players in NA) on their resume and got some mad respect

>one of my colleagues put their LoL skills (one of the top players in NA) on their resume
that really is childish to be honest. but i don't see the difference from you know writing stuff like i like reading and football it's worthless information that has absolutely no relevance to your hiring process in any positive way. me myself tend to prioritize people less that put hobbies like extreme sports and competitive sports on the resume and gaming too. the first ones because injuries are a bitch and happen too often and then we suck the dick while the guy is enjoying himself in the hospital. and the latter because too many assholes give into the temptation to do their online gaming on company time.

If you had that on your resume I would most likely hire you on the spot. But then if you had that on your resume, you'd never be applying for the jobs I offer.

Being recognized as a good leader to get people to follow you comes from people believing you know what you're doing.

If you can't do that, then they will follow someone else.

it's not like that imo.
it's more like i lack the personal pull the charisma if you like.
some people can drag others with them into every stupid shit. i can't.

Leave it off the resume. When you interview if it seems like a proper situation to touch on your time being a raid leader bring it up. Otherwise it might hurt you more then help you, unless you are getting a job directly related to gaming.

That will no longer be the case thanks to the touch machines replacing cashiers

What do you offer?

Are you tall?

I'm tall so there is a bit of a subconscious pull going I guess.

most of the time i think people are just dumb on here but this time OP really is autistic to think this would impress any employer. Don't tell your employer that you're a fucking loser on your resume

How is he autistic? Its just a question

yes i'm taller than my immediate colleagues. but there is two other factors i noticed. the older guys always have more pull. i'm not young but in the middle. senior by experience and pay but still younger than half the crew.

>Is putting that you were a raid leader in world of Warcraft on a resume a meme? People tell me they did that to show they have leading experience and stuff.

It is not a meme, it is utter stupidity and retarded behaviour,

If they had talent in leading they would apply it to actual situations not closed hub virtual spaces that have no risk of failling. Seeing a CV with this kind of crap would make me cringe, since I would percieve this person as an incompetent child that believes experience can be gained by games instead of in what it actually is, life.

Being an adventurer that hunts beasts in africa using bow and arrow is not the same as playing Far Cry, ffs.

>Being an adventurer that hunts beasts in africa using bow and arrow

i wouldn't hire a guy like that either.

hell i wouldn't hire guys that like to ski if it was up to me. when the first snow falls they lose all focus until summer all they can think about is where they are going how and that's all they care about all winter at work when they are not on the fucking mountains and every fucking year there is an accident also that requires rehab and sick leave.

if it's a nerdy, software centric startup with a lot of young people, or a video game company? obviously

everywhere else that's semi-serious? obviously not

really should not be that hard to infer yourself

>if it's a nerdy, software centric startup
then you risk that the guy hiring you hates your favorite game with a passion and despises the gamer base.