Was he really all that bad? When I talk about him with non-Mexicans, they say he seemed like a pretty cool guy...

Was he really all that bad? When I talk about him with non-Mexicans, they say he seemed like a pretty cool guy, shame the Mexicans executed him.
The Mexicans that I've spoken to about him all say he was a really bad guy, wanted to enslave Mexico or some other stuff like that. They tended to either get real quiet or try to make excuses when I tell them how he tried to be a good leader to Mexico, how he tried to push reforms benefiting the peasantry and such. I even once found a history of Mexico in Spanish that tried to justify his execution, making it sound like the Mexicans didn't REALLY want to kill him, but their hands were tied by the law.

>puppet
Yeah no.

He was our only hope of becoming a prosperous country in touch with Europe. Instead we celebrate becoming another shithole US puppet.

Japan is the most US controlled country on earth, and they're great.

Don't blame us for your country being shit.

Japan was actually a dominant regional power before their defeat by the US. The same cannot be said of Mexico.

You also occupied Japan and reworked their entire economy. You never did that in Latin America.

I'd rather be nationally independent than have a good economy that went to shit in the 90's desu.

Still beats the shit out of Mexico.

You just don't get headless bodies hanging from overpasses in Japan.

It's a matter of cultural and political development dating back centuries.

Blaming it on the US is simply short sighted.

>Mexico
>nationally independent
Holy shit.

>IT'S ALL THE GRINGOS FAULT ESE
>meanwhile, Canada took about the same amount of bullshit and ended up great, because it was run by Anglos and not Hispanics.

As a person, no. He was extremely liberal for a member of the European aristocracy and seemed to have legitimately cared about Mexico.
On principle, no. He was a French puppet that would've been forced to run the nation for Nappy III's benefit. And more importantly, to use the Japanese example, what if the Yanks appointed some Filipino as Japan's new emperor after WWII. Mexico should be ruled by Mexicans, even if they were for the most part, dictators and bandits.

What a lazy, uninformed shitpost.

It isn't a coincidence that without fail, every single country colonized by the peoples of the Iberian peninsula has turned into fail, and every single country colonized by the English, with a majority English population is good.

The only exception I can think of to this rule is Goa and Macau.

>bad because he wasn't Mexican

Who cares? Good is good. Most Mexicans aren't even Mexican.

A puppet is a puppet.

Enough said.

He was a great man, but sadly too naive.

A good leader is a good leader. He was a good leader. I don't care if he was a puppet or not.

The US would never tolerate a foreign backed government in their hemisphere, and Mexicans are nationalistic.

If it isn't gonna work, it just isn't gonna work.

Doesn't change the fact that he would have been great for Mexico. Besides, most Mexicans during the 19th century supported a monarchy and it was just the intellectual and rich elite who wanted the republic to maintain their power. What a lot of my fellow historically illiterate Mexicans forget is that the "French" army in Mexico was actually primarily Mexicans, even at Puebla.

Didn't they trick him into going to Mexico in the first place by saying there had some sort of plebiscite or petition? I might be thinking about a different guy, though.

He literally chose to die because he'd taken an oath to Mexico
Guy was the only hope Mexico had to be a decently developed country, and is a perfect example of the ideal monarch. Also was the only the leader who wasn't complete shit to the Indios. And the Mexican "Republic" was literally a military dictatorship with no democratic basis.

>The Mexicans that I've spoken to about him all say he was a really bad guy, wanted to enslave Mexico or some other stuff like that
They don't know their own history. As a mexican, i'm ashamed.
>I even once found a history of Mexico in Spanish that tried to justify his execution, making it sound like the Mexicans didn't REALLY want to kill him, but their hands were tied by the law.
He had to die in order to prove and maintain México's sovereignity.

>Mexicans are nationalistic
Back then there was no nation, ese.

>Canada isn't the most US controlled country on earth.
user you what? If the US told Canada to jump it would jump.

he was not a bad man, but he was puppet king. and lots of Mexicans still remembered the war of independence. and even more remembered the War with the U.S.

Max and the French were invaders, plain and simple, Mexico was on the verge of losing everything, again. they fought to keep what little they still had.

did max deserve to die? no, but what he represented did.