/DIY/

Do it yourself/ re-purposing general

We finally hit bump limit edition

Anything about making your own clothes, customizing and/or tailoring goes here. Talk about your projects. Ask Questions. Share information. Help each other out.

PASTEBIN:
pastebin.com/hnXtzTk7
(if you think the pastebin lacks any information, just ask)
Japanese magazines, just in case you need them
pastebin.com/Q2iDYiAM

Last thread :

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jSUwFaqwDVI
youtube.com/watch?v=vJI4J92Btis
warosu.org/fa/thread/S12171817
warosu.org/fa/thread/S12462348
warosu.org/fa/thread/S11924209
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I promised a while back I'd post a picture of the sweater, so here it is, long overdue.
youtube.com/watch?v=jSUwFaqwDVI
youtube.com/watch?v=vJI4J92Btis

niceeeee, i was expecting it to be lumpy and ugly but it came out really well
congrats man

Wow, that's cool

wow this looks great
fit pic?

this is cool af

I love the constructionist look.

I haven't seen intern in a while. He should have released his collection by now.

yeah it's kinda sad that he doesn't really post here anymore

yeah we want a fit pic

Thanks for all the kind comments. I know the importance of posting a fit, how does the sweater relate to my other clothes and my body, but I'm hesitant to do so. Still unsatisfied with the way I dress and afraid to end up in a cringe thread. Maybe. And for my next trick: another sweater. While struggling to associate images and reading articles about Italian futurism and fascism, I discovered these empty casings found in the ground of a military training camp. My idea is to put them on my sweater, to give an impression of satellites and missiles, and embroider trajectories and grids. What do you think of it? How should I attach them to the sweater? What can be added to these casings? What tools could I use? Glue? Solder it?

hi

How the fuck do I get started? I have projects in mind but suck at drawing them out. If buying oversize, deconstructing, and tailoring a decent place to start? SO far embroidery has been kind of shitty because I'm bad at drawing. it takes so long and I never like where I end up.

Do I have to own a bunch of shit to get into DIY? Current don't own much and would like to keep it that way. So far I have some scraps from old clothes,jeans/ sewing needles and thread/ some embroidery stuff.

Should I get a cheap sewing machine and just start fucking around?

Anyone have a story of how they got started? Would love some inspiration from you guys.

I took sewing classes and bought the materials mentioned in the pastebin. Most of it fits in a bag. My first project was a Cheech Wizard tshirt. Later I bought an 1507WC Singer. Sewing with a machine is quicker and more secure, but there are moments where you need your hand, for example sewing on a button. Are there any sewing classes near you? What projects do you have in mind?

It's not about seeing how you dress, it's about seeing how it fits your body

I got some old leather belts lying around, what are some cool bracelets i can make? I'm not a huge braids fan

Just got done cutting this strip, how can i make a lock that'll allow me to use both sides? It's too thick and stiff for knots

you could try using some sam brown studs (pic)or attach a clasp with some fold-over metal cord ends. You should try to burnish the edges with a polishing iron to neaten them up a bit

hello

Bumping this taste bread. GL you crafty faggots.

I'm finally at a point financially where I have been considering designing a timeless high-quality and versatile wardrobe each season and then working with a professional to get them made to measure. I plan on slowly phasing out off the rack garbage until all my clothes are my own personal line.

I am trying to work on quality over quantity so I will probably have a very small wardrobe for various purposes and accessorize and mix/match for variety. Also plan to take a lot more care in maintaining/washing/hanging rather than how I treat cheaper clothing.

Anyone have any experience with something similar or tips going forward?

I don't have a tip, but I'm looking forward to seeing your new clothes

I don't have a fedora, but I'm still tipping one to seeing your new clothes

>implying you autists wouldnt immediate track me down if I posted my clothing

Mostly just basics. I'm a tall human and nothing fits me how I'd like. i would love to mend my own clothes as well as eventually modify/alter things to fit.

Mostly i just like a worn or DIY look to clothes as I think its more interesting and cheaper than buying the latest trends.

I know there are sewing classes around me. maybe I should just go for it. I live in a big, semi-pretentious city so I'm not sure if I'd be into the classes around here but I can't know until i try

Holy shit this is neat. Congrats!

So guys, I bought a Brother sewing/embroidery machine a while back but I never really got into sewing much because I sucked ass at it. Along with the fact that my old friends poked fun at me for being a guy who sews up complete shit, but I'm at the point where I cannot allow others to decide how I spend my free-time. So about a month ago, I started hand embroidering my pencil drawn / adobe illustrator designs into badges that I've planned on sewing onto hats.

However I'd like to ease back into sewing again. I read online about a class being offered in my city, but I live in a small town where the only people who sew are old women, and the outline for the class indicates that they'll teach people how to make baby clothes and blouses.

Regardless of this, I'm going to take the class; although, I would also like to jump in outside of the class room and maybe start on something small which would allow me to progress to larger items. I'd eventually like to sew up my own basic t-shirts and pants. Mainly because I'm pretty short, and nothing fits me well, but I also think that the idea of turning my own drawings into physical items is one of the neatest fucking things to me.

Should I just go to the pattern websites in the pasta and start small? I just don't want to be starting in the wrong place.

Also, where do you peeps get inspo for designing garments? I've noticed the japanese magazine pasta, but where would one go to possibly find inspo from something that's not directly related to fashion, but could be interpreted in a way for one to come up with clothing design ideas?

Like this user who crafted the rad sweater who mentioned, "While struggling to associate images and reading articles about Italian futurism and fascism." Like how in the fuck do I get to this point?

If I do make any nice garments, then I wouldn't mind giving away some of the stuff I make to you peeps in return.

I was just being genuinely nice dude

I have this sweater and I really want to use it but it's way too fucking big for me even though it says size M. Is there any extreme way to shrink it?
I've tried washing it with extra hot settings but no luck.
Would boiling it work?

Turned my bomber inside out, thoughts?

Stellar.

The sticky needs an entry on where to start with sewing, because this kind of question pops up regularly. A t shirt is a simple project to get familiar with the sewing machine and it's various stitches. It also gives you a basic idea of how a garment is constructed. Instructions are included with the pattern and you can always ask the old women. Having finished that project, you can try out more difficult ones, like a jacket. Those old women may have some patterns you could borrow and other useful knowledge.
There are inspo threads of various quality, but I want to know this first: what do you mean with "how to get to that point? What do you mean with 'point'?
Could you make a collage of those drawings and show them?

Well by "how do I get to that point", I mean how can I hone in on topics not related at all to fashion and garner from it details for which to base future garment designs off of?

I'm guessing it's just a artistic skill that can only be mastered through the endless research for artistic motifs. For example, like the first video user linked. I would've never thought about taking the aesthetically pleasing elements from that logo and then found a way to port it into my designs. I guess that's where the art of it all comes into play.

Speaking of my drawings, they're nothing to bat an eye over. I just decided that I wanted an embroidered 90's solo cup hat, and so I just drew one freehand and hand embroidered it. That design really kicked it all off, but all of the ones that I have done are just based off of already existing objects that I thought would be rad to throw onto a hat. (Just some KYC Vintage-tier shit, except not a shitty screen-printed design).

I'll attempt to sew a t-shirt again. The first time that I attempted to sew one from a pattern ended in failure. The thin paper easily tore, I kept fucking up when attempting to cut the fabric, and I couldn't stitch straight to save my life.

My end goal is to create my own jacket patterns and use them to craft jackets meant to fit my exact body style, which I've already downloaded one of the e-books mentioned in the sticky regarding the topic; however, I already know that I should know my way around a sewing machine, all of the different ins and outs of mesuring the body & fabric, and the already designed patterns that're available for me first before attempting to craft any pattern of my own.

Going back to the drawings; I will certainly work towards drawing up some designs and making a collage out of them for you peeps whenever I find certain inspos that strike my fancy. I'm making it a priority to contribute to this group for sure.

Super not my style and I'm still really stoked for you on this. Really cool jumper, yo. Nice job.

why not just wear it oversized?

this is beautiful user.

Because I don't do that. Also it looks like a frigging dress on me.

Isn’t your first question about how to make art? Read literature, listen to music, watch movies, read the news, browse the inspo threads, watch fashion shows, read fashion editorials and/or go to a museum and look at the shown works for a long time. Observe and ask yourself a couple of questions. What do I see? What do I like or dislike about this? What did the author intended with this work? Do I agree with that? Can I find additional information on it? What can I take from this? Are there any similarities with my other interests? Absorb. Go for a walk or cycle around town, so you can reflect, contemplate and create. I’d like to hear other people’s opinion on this.

re-knit/tailor it?

Hmm. Now I just feel stupid, because I've sort of have some ideas for some clothes that revolve around a certain movie that I like. However, I never really thought of it in the same light, in a way, as the user above did with the sweater.

I figured out that my town actually has an art museum, so I'll be heading there tomorrow to take some notes on what I see. As far as fashion shows, I feel like I will have to venture far into the fringes to find men's fashion apparel that I actually dig; however, I will try. In regards to fashion editorials, are there any notable ones that you follow?

shackle clasp

Reposting this from an unsuccessful thread I made that's about to die-

I want a pair of light wash jeans for summer. Is it advisable to bleach an old pair DIY style? If so, how do you control the end result (i.e. how light it gets)? I watched a couple of youtube videos and it seems pretty easy. Some details that may or may not be relevant-

1. I don't plan on distressing them (too trendy).
2. 26 yr old guy, not particularly fashion forward. Are these hard to pull off?
3. I have an older pair of raw jeans that I "ruined" (they got extremely dirty the first time I wore them, so I unfortunately ended up having to throw them in the wash). I'd probably want to get them hemmed and tapered for this look, right?

>Is it advisable to bleach an old pair?
It really depends on the amount of distress that's already present on the jeans, and the look which you are going for.

Just understand beforehand that the areas which are lighter/darker on the pants, not including some stains, will probably fade at different rates than the rest of the piece. (Like the lighter distressed areas present in your pants pic).

>how do you control the end result?

Get your pants wet in cold water first, and understand what they look like whenever wet. Just use whatever youtube tutorial you can find on lightening them, but just remember to check back on it quicker than whatever time interval they use. Look for the color that is 2 shades darker than what you want. This is because your pants should get lighter whenever you go to throw them in the wash.

Oh yeah, don't forget to throw them through the wash after you get the shade that you want. My first pair ended up splotchy because the jeans didn't have enough room to freely move around in the bucket and just washing them in the bath tub and hanging them out to dry didn't fully do the trick.

1.The new trend supposedly revolves around not distressing them.

2. It really depends on the style of jeans, your body type, and what you're going for. Light jeans are perfect for palewave and many spring/summer fits.

3. Yeah, you'll want to make sure that you go to a tailor to get them hemmed and tapered. They look best in a slim fit. However, this means that they wouldn't look as good if you're over-weight or have overly-fat thighs. That doesn't mean you can't lighten them now, lose weight, and then get them altered if you are over-weight tho.

Just bleached an old hoodie that i didnt wear anymore to see how it would go.
Didn't go exactly how i wanted but didnt really care for it anyway.
I'd seen people getting there's to go much lighter like as far as orange or yellow but realised after that this was 20% synthetic so think that's why.
I did it myself at least so thought i'd post it here

I actually really like this, good job

is there any way to dye a blue denim jacket (pic related) pitch black?

i'm finding a lot of cheap blue jackets and not so many black ones so i'd prefer to do this if it's possible

Dylon Velvet Black?

Will it dye it pitch black?
I'm wondering if I should bleach it first

Yes. You can always dye it twice.

warosu.org/fa/thread/S12171817
warosu.org/fa/thread/S12462348
warosu.org/fa/thread/S11924209
Learn how to browse the archive. You can find some interesting stuff there.

this is actual sick though

just here to remind you of this quality post

hand-sewing incredibly basic patterns with scrap material, or cutting up scrap clothing at the seams and resewing them by hand after learning just a few basic stitches is a great way to test the water before splurging on anything expensive.

A person can start sewing with things you have at home right now for no cost assuming you have a cheap sewing repair kit and maybe some pins. Of course it will look like shit and probably never get used by thats usually the same for your first so many attempts on a machine that you feel annoyed at spending a lot of money on.

Also no one is stopping you from sewing everything by hand if you just don't want to bother with a sewing machine at all. Machines have their own learning curve and time-consuming processes that lead to procrastination.

fashion trends/elements are usually heavily based on historical trends, with minor or superficial difference with each resurgence.

You can learn a lot just by spending an evening reading online about "western fashion" by the decade back to at least the 1800s. When you reduce things down to its basic elements it becomes very "same shit, different year" and you will develop a more broad personal style and taste and be able go from there.

Also you should understand that fashion doesn't exist in a 2-d vacuum, and a lot of trends and changes were brought external factors and necessity.

I turned a pair of indigo blue jeans pitch black using 2 packs of dye.
My goal was to get them really dark but still blue but I used to much dye I guess.
It should work for you

Bore holes in the brass, string thread through. Alternatively, loop thread around for a different look. Hold on, let me see if I can sketch it out

I was thinking of soldering a pin on it, so I can remove it when I want to wash the sweater.

And it would allow the casing to rotate on the sweater. It creates a certain playfulness.

Here you go, my friend. Sorry, was at work. Basically, bore/punch/drill a few parallel holes in the brass, file down the rough edges, loop thread through. Might be good to accentuate with a thin line of No-Sew or some other kind of fabric glue.

Also, cut the crimped ends off—it'd be cooler if they looked like they were live rounds instead of just blanks.

Might be cool to paint them with acrylic, too? Not only does brass tarnish quickly, but it will discolor the fabric as well. Unless you're down for that.

Still want to see them. You're overestimating Veeky Forums's doxxing capabilities, I think.

Oh, that's fascinating. It will likely droop, though, not stay perfectly flush with the fabric.

If you do want to try it, though, would suggest buffing it and then braising instead of soldering. Better hold, and would look cooler when it dries droop.

I have to say, this is probably the best /general/ on this entire fucking site. You all are the most creative, honest, curious, excitable people here. And with just the right amount of xenophobic elitism: just when it counts.

You all actually try to do something, and that's fucking amazing. Thank you. Instilled a lot of unshakable optimism in me.

I'm pretty sure my question is too pleb for this edition of the DIY thread, but here goes?

How do I dye my suede boots purple, without using suede dye?

My favorite pair of boots is this ancient Benetton slip on biker boot in a very rich byzantium - think Jimmy Choo's Youth, only... better. And with less gaudy hardware. Anyway, they're starting to show their age. I've done all I can, had the soles replaced, inner structure reinforced etc etc. But the color is extremely faded, it now looks almost mauve, but in a bad way.
So I'm looking to dye them. But the thing is, purple suede dye is a bitch to find. All there is on offer in the EU is either tan or black and it's driving me crazy.

Please help? (pic semi-related, that is the boot model, except mine are purple)

OP of all those threads here
thanks mane
I never expected /diy/ to turn out as good as it is now
keep creating

Posted a while back in one of the threads, not sure if anyone remembers but I was an user who wanted to make a pair of Boro pants or something similar.

I got a few links from some anons, but wanted to ask any recommendations on equipment that'll be useful (I'll be doing everything by hand, needle/thread becuase no friends and also access to machines).

Also a few questions:
Anyone in L O N D O N know some good fabric shops or anyone in general know online places to buy denim or fabric from?

My plan is to take inspiration from several brands such as Junya, Kaptial, Blue Blue Japan, Visvim (only ones I know). Does anyone have any other recommendations on brands that do patchwork style clothing or anything related or inspo related to boro/patchwork?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks man. Can I ask you this too? I have these old pins. Could the tip be removed and reused? If so, how would you do it? What materials do I need? Yes, I could paint them yellow. Now, it's sweatshirt fabric, so I doubt it will droop that much, but that also depends on how much I want to add to the casing.

If its 100% cotton standard supermarket dye with no additives in your batch will do the job just fine

Just leave it for an hour or so and hang it up to dry

How would I go about getting this made? Not being sold anywhere anymore, I'd love to put it on my denim jacket or onto something else.

bump

Thanks for the replies, I ended up just buying an acne studios jacket that was already black but I'll be dying a light blue jacket for a patch project sometime soon

Fucking decent

Sno-Seal, Huberds, lederfett.

Only way to go. You can't keep roughouts looking new forever, roughout leather will just start to wear down so just grease them up and embrace the new look. You can keep them in good, greased shape forever if you replace the heel/ sole when needed

I have a nice fleck parka and I was thinking about adding two tentpeg pouches to the lower exterior for extra capacity.

To do this I would remove the two top pockets and move them up 1'', detach the inside pockets so I could secure the peg pockets properly, then reattach the inside pockets.

I'd sew buttons on at the bottom of the chest pockets and turn the pouch beltloops into support for a waistbelt.

Can't decide if it ruins the overall appearance of the jacket, though.... opinions?

oops pic uploaded upside down...sorry :/

I'm going to stitch small black designs on some plain white tees, any inspo for what to put on there? I'll be pitting them on the left breast where most designers put their logo.

How do I taper my pants to look like pic related? Can this be done in any fabric or do I need sweatpants/cargopants material?

any fabric,what i usually do is take a trouser with the leg opening that i want.Turn the inside out of the trousers that i want to modify (and place atop the beforementioned pair) mark it with a sewing pin and draw a line from that point til it meets the threads from the original cut (usually 30cm)

What if I don't have any trousers with that kind of tapering? Should I taper to the knee, above the knee or below the knee?

as you can see from the pic it tapers below the knee.If you don't have a pant with that type of tapering u should either find one and measure it on the dressing rooms or find the measurements on the internet

Search warosu on subject "art". Look at your tastes in music, books, paintings etc. Why don't you use the whole tee as a canvas?

just go on pinterest for 5 seconds

I dyed two shades of indigo + cut and sewed the sleeves and lower portion

The two on bottom, and top right one are likely just punched on, and can be pried off. The other...I can't tell, but if the pin itself isn't a separate piece, you can grind/file the whole thing down to a peice no larger than 1mm squared (thickness to your preference, but I think boxy would be cool).

To start, follow these steps:
>mark points of contact (two for stability's sake) with sharpie
>clean with acetone
>buff with steel wool
>if wool has not produced noticeable scratches, file lightly or score with awl

Two main options for how to attach, permanent vs. easy.
1) Braising
Materials:
>oxy-acetylene torch
>vise
>braising rod
Best option. Extremely solid, looks great. Very involved, but good skill to learn for future projects. Won't go into full detail in this post, but if you decide on it (which I suggest), I'll walk you through.

2) Epoxy
Materials:
>two-stage epoxy tube
>mixing plate
>a stick (as applicator)
>vise, c-clamp, or anything to apply steady pressure without letting the project slip
Simple, quick, but won't look as nice on close inspection, won't be as solid. Wear gloves, don't let it get on your skin. Steps as follows:
>mix epoxy on plate with stick
>apply to both case and pin with stick
>press firmly, wipe off excess with a rag
>let set, put in vise
Rinse, repeat

Like it even better desu

looks great
did you use two different dyes or just less/more of the same dye?

You're doing a good job bud. Keep up the good work.

thanks
I try my best

Anyone? :( or is leddit/cgl my best bet

doesn't seem that hard to make, what are you struggling with?

So my brother gave me his old working hoodie and I want to do some things with it.
I was thinking about adding more black spots to it and maybe that would be cool?

india ink?

I think it's just slight burn marks

I've never personally owned a denim jacket, but I have a patch (the Eva Hunter one) that I'd like to put on one. However, I wanted to rip a hole in the back that reveals the patch. Is there a denim jacket where there is a "second layer" on the jacket you can see after tearing a hole in the back?

just buy a denim jacket at a thrift shop and sew the inside layer yourself

I got a pair of wide legged pleated suit pants from a thrift store. How would I go about giving them a slightly tapered look like pic related without fucking up the pleat? All the guides I've found online only cover how to taper pants so they're virtually skin tight. I want to keep the looseness of the pants without having a super comically wide leg opening.

You could just pinch it at the back of the cuff and sew that, it's have the pleats in front but a natural taper at the cuff

Another picture to illustrate the look I'm trying to emulate. The pants are still loose and baggy around the thigh but narrow a bit around the calf.

I don't have any equipment or materials. I can't use machines so all my projects I plan to do will be by hand. Not sure how to go about doing this by hand.

actually looks really cool. is it kinda uncomfortable near the seam?

get some white fabric, cut it into the same shape as the logo and the stripes, then sew it onto some green fabric?
There are other ways, this is just the first thing that comes to mind

Good Idea, ty. Wish I could get the official one or similar fabric. I doubt it'd look as good in cloth, any idea on what material would be sturdy like the one in the picture if possible?