Can we just agree that cultural context is a much underrated aspect of being Veeky Forums

Can we just agree that cultural context is a much underrated aspect of being Veeky Forums

it's so tiring to see kids posting on Veeky Forums dressed in internet memewear about as divorced from their immediate social surroundings as possible. Dressing for yourself is important yes, but the internet has removed this kind of context by 'globalising' what looks good, to the point where what is appropriate for Tokyo is imported wholesale to middle America, where it is entirely out of place

Be inspired by various things yes, but uninformed aping of metropolitan high-culture fashion into suburban environments is just cringy af

It's like tumblrinas idealising some distorted ideal of 50s americana, or high school kids wearing fedoracore suits with anime ties to class

bump for chat

I agree to an extent
seems like today's fashion is mostly internet-based and celebrity-driven, items and styles become popular because kanye wore them or something
and it seems like subcultures aren't really a thing anymore, most highschoolers dress pretty much the same

Agreed. Like seeing southern californias in parkas. I understand parkas were really "in" in 08 but wihout a globalized sense of context due to the internet, youd be seen as a complete oddity for that choice in coat. Like seeing dreadlocks on a line cook or long johns and a denim tux on a guy from the gulf coast. Your identity wasnt built organically, so you come off as extremely calculated and, I hate this word, inauthentic. Not going so far as to say if you wear a cadet cap in college youre a complete posuer, but it robs you of that identity you would have had.

For instance, I met an extremely interesting girl from southern oregon who worked in agriculture. She wore romeo boots, denim overalls and a fleece sweater. Wear that in say, tampa and you'd get laughed at, but discerning her character and how it led to her outfit was more fun than tag comparisons because you could make sense of her outfit based on her lifes narrative.

this is the problem with letting the internet dress you.

wear what people you around you wear, wear what your favorite musicians wear, wear brands that are cool in your area.
dont be that autist who has bately leaned everything he knows from r/streetwear

It's hard to be unique, and the internet and mass media have globalized so much culture that dressing like everyone in your hometown doesn't make you unique either.

I saw this quite a lot in London a couple of years ago, when the whole 'flannel shirt/raw denim/beard/brown boots' vibe filtered through the internet

You would see these mid-20s guys dressed as some 00's interpretation of a mid-century lumberjack, in the middle of London in the summer. It's not even drawing on your own national heritage for fits, its literally importing memewear wholesale

also if you live in fucking london you shouldn't be struggling to find cultural influence for how you dress

you are missing the fucking point by a mile though
context these days is internet and culturally we are allowed to wear so much things, people on Veeky Forums don't actually break any social or cultural conventions or even come close to doing so
cultural context is so deeply integrated to our way of thinking culture, no one here even thinks about doing something outside of it

www.beaubrummellformen.com

>a thoughtful, articulate post on Veeky Forums
Very nice, OP. Very true as well. Clothing is above all (second only to being a layer of protection against the elemants) a tool to relate to your immediate, physical environment.

It's not wholly internet though, the internet hasn't replaced every other means of cultural influence

Even then, if you dress like leddit or fa tells you to dress to the letter, you might gain the approval of those people online when you wear full rick in a carefully posed timer shot in your back garden to appear cultural, but as soon as you go to the shops to buy milk or see your friends in a bar you'll look fucking ridiculous.

So many people online clearly lack this awareness

A good post on fa, this is a rare sight indeed, but I digress. I'm inclined to agree with . Culturally, these days, we are allowed to dress in such a diverse set of style that considering culture is somewhat irrelevant. I live in the suburbs in a rather affluent family. Some of my clothes are expensive, but they're all different styles. Culturally there's no real wardrobe expectation for someone in my position anymore. In terms of environmental considerations, I exercise a bit, so quite a bit of my clothes are for exercising and outdoor activities as well. I also have a lot of outerwear cause' I live in Michigan and it's nearly always cold here.

>what is appropriate for Tokyo is imported wholesale to middle America, where it is entirely out of place
I don't care about being appropriate.

>implying internet isnt a cultural context on its own
Stop being so edgy, who cares about the analytical aspect of fashion. If it looks good, then its completely sufficient in all aspects.

I like the spirit of your post basically although I disagree that you shouldn't wear some fashion from Tokyo in middle America just because you'll stand out and it seems out of place. What's most important is listening to yourself--the inner voice that says this is totally me even though someone might call it "trash" or whatever and just wearing it anyway.

Basically the biggest thing to keep in mind is that fashion does not exist in a vacuum, which Veeky Forums tends to see it as. It's like Rick = good, streetwear = bad, which is really silly.

I like Rick, but I would never wear his stuff apart from maybe shoes. I'm 5'9'' with short legs and I lift. Rick is cool but his stuff would look ridiculous on me. For me, Rick isn't good. For someone who is 6'2 and a skelly it'll look better.

The other thing Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums as a whole does that I don't like is they tend to judge things based on its fanbase rather than on its own merits.

You'll be hardpressed to find any criticism of Supreme that doesn't include the word "hypebeast". Similarly you'll be hardpressed to find any criticism of Rick that doesn't include the word "tryhard" some shit.

the user that said the thing about subcultures hit it on the nose really. without a reason to dress like the people near me why the fuck would i want to? im gonna wear what i wanna wear and if it means i have to stunt on all the fucking losers that walk around looking like clones of each other than fuck it.

>For someone who is 6'2 and a skelly it'll look better
Not true at all, Rick is perfect for muscular people.

Well, difference of opinion I guess. I know Rick works out so he probably keeps that in mind but I've still yet to see someone bulky wearing Rick who looks better than the models on the runway at his shows look.

Case in point, Jude Law.

Whatever your opinion on this, I don't think anyone would argue that someone who is 5'9 will probably look silly in Rick.

W2c hoodie

Your post is bad and other user is right.

Just because someone is short doesn't necessarily mean they are gonna have a bad fit. It's all about how things fit. As long as something fits, is well proportioned it'll look good. We can see this on people like Kanye. Also, shame on you for believing the Veeky Forums manlet meme.

The point is that the internet dissociates you from where you're from, who you are

The internet, particularly (semi)anonymous sites like Veeky Forums, necessarily appeals to the lowest common denominator, the stuff found here has no basis in any individual's life, just a sort of average of all the users found here

So by using the internet as a cultural frame of reference, you're building your foundations on something that doesn't exist anywhere - seeing an 'inspo pic' which is stylised, filtered, photoshopped, taken in a different part of the world, of someone wildly disparate to you in terms of wealth, age, occupation etc is going to skew your perception of how you ought to dress

Maybe all I'm saying is take the internet as a whole with a pinch of salt in terms of inspo, and maybe consider the other people around you, your own circumstances and identity more

this is why a lot of people simply look wrong when they wear designer outfits, it's obvious when someone is influenced by what he truly likes and when people on the internet told them to like it (see: the entire "streetwear" community)

Supreme's collaboration with Peter Saville using his artwork for New Order's seminal LP Power, Corruption, Lies, it'll cost you

>The point is that the internet dissociates you from where you're from, who you are
What about NEETs and shut-ins? We can easily argue that I can be "from the internet" and I could define myself as part of Internet culture.
Thing is you are saying that I can't have my own identity defined integrally in the Internet. See social media...

absofuckinglutely! be yourself but still be identifiable to the normies in your area. go too far and you're looking for cringe.... if it feels like a costume... it is.

This is a whole new level of pedantry and pretention.

You're a fucking rube if you think someone has to dress in accordance to the climate and geographical place of residence. There's a very fine line between mass appropriation of a trend (a parka) and choosing to wear whatever you think looks good.

Your pointless anecdote further crystalizes your lack of self awareness. It gets cold in Tampa, sometimes below 50 degrees. If she's wearing fleece in the summer she's a dullard anyway.

The only time this is ever close to relevant is when someone wears heavy clothing in hot weather, in those cases this is somewhat correct. But to say one *needs* to dress (of all fucking things) like they're from the place they're currently living, lest they come off as inauthentic, is such a assinine statement.

Millennials ruined Veeky Forums social justice bullshit and pro Clinton shilling.

what

bump also for good discussion on Veeky Forums

OP is certainly correct. However, I believe that anyone getting into fashion or wanting to dress better begins by seeing and understanding what a total travesty the general population dresses like. After this initial wake up call individuals strive to disassociate themselves from the herds of normies who "don't care how they dress". This disassociation is almost always taken to an extreme and the person will end up being a fashion victim until they understand that the normies have the basics down. The basics are the basics for a reason because even though they look like shit and are financially irresponsible they are practical for the consumerist society that we live in.

Once you understand the basics then you can tweak them to your liking and then you have style. If you never understand the basics you will be forever stuck in the fashion victim loop. This is why mfa is so popular with millenials. They don't have to understand the basics. They can get a non offensive fit for almost any occasion/location put together for them. It will almost never be Veeky Forums but it will put them a step above normies without having to use too much critical thinking.

Sadly waywt is full of people taking six good pieces from six different styles and trying to make a fit out of them. This is why the majority of fits posted there come across as awkward and out of place. There is no foundation. The worst offenders are the people who post themselves wearing a bunch of statement pieces. You're supposed to wear a statement piece to make a statement not jacket shirt shoes and hat because then nobody knows what you're trying to portray.

Sorry for rambling

i think a lot of it is just that it's so calculated and dull once you know what to look for. there's always one or two guys you see around especially on a college campus or whatever wearing a bunch of meme jackets and printed shirts and a different pair of expensive sneakers for each day of the week. sometimes it doesn't even look bad or incohesive, but they almost always have 0 personality once you get to know them. you can just tell they don't have really any interesting hobbies outside of ordering stuff online and wearing it. a big chunk of people in waywt threads etc. give off this vibe.

it's different from people who just have a good sense of aesthetics and design, and who might put as much thought into an outfit as the above dressed-by-the-internet guy, but for different reasons.

this is a good post, i agree.

Literally the only people who don't know this are the high school faggots who post in WYWT

I think it's a fine balance, keeping where you are in mind while also wanting to wear what you want.
I'm lucky enough to live where I want, and where people wear what I like (kinda), but there's nothing wrong with standing out every now and then, if it's not out of failure to understand surroundings.
It's really whether you do it consciously or not, and that you can see clearly in the final result.

About kids, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's just them trying out things, as I know I did back then. Maybe looking at internet memewear might give some of them an interest in fashion. More likely they will forget about it soon enough.

Good post

>celebrity-driven, items and styles become popular because ... wore them or something
it was always like that dumbo, but with tv, movies and magazines instead of internet

Yes, for the very aware, who want to dress well. But you also have to consider that the internet currently is becoming deeply ingrained in our cultural environment and that in 20 years when people look back on us and our time, the things you deem as not okay fashion-wise right now and "outside the cultural scope" of a place/time/class etc will because of details we don't think about just be bunched in with everything. It won't be noticed and will still fall in line with everything else because of details that the individual has no control of without going to great length.
What I mean is, even if you were in the 80s and was told to look like you were dressed as if you were from the future, everyone would still be able to tell that it's the 80s because of details in how the clothing is made and the proportions and materials blah blah. What you consider as big discrepancies now will not even be noticed just because we currently are blind to the "current defining features of our culture" that is everywhere wether we try or not

This became a long post for a very simple point but I'm too high to bother no bothering

Agreed. My weekend wear is a reverse print aloha shirt (Avanti, made in Hawaii. I like them a lot), baggy khaki shorts past the knee, and old school low top Vans. Were I still living in Shit Kicker, Oklahoma where I grew up, this would not be my choice of outfit. But here in Las Vegas, the look seems to be appreciated. It's like a toned down tourist look.

Pic is one of my shirts. Reverse print is great if you like the style but want something less garish and kitschy than most Hawaiian shirts available.

>Flannel
>In London
Huh. My dad loves flannel shirts. He was vacationing in London one time and noticed a complete lack of flannel when he visited. He even asked a local at a pub about it. Said it went something like:
>"Do you ever wear flannel?"
>"I've no clan."
>"Pardon?"
>"Tartan means something here, mate."

>uninformed aping of metropolitan high-culture fashion into suburban environments is just cringy af
this is so true, I find myself thinking this about people whenever I go somewhere "trendy" in my city

When the hell was that?

No it doesn't. It was only a Victorian invention to say tartan was tied to clans and no one gives a shit about that south of Scotland anyway, and sure as fuck not as far South as London.

If you like tartan you wear it. If you don't like it you don't. That's the extent of the thought people put into it.
It's common to see it on scarves on girls in the winter with no more thought put into it than "I like that pattern".

So either the guy was pulling your dads leg or the story is bullshit.

you just look like a cosplayer then

>implying anyone gives a shit about it in scotland
It's just tourist bait. We call it tartan tat or shortbread tin scotland.

That didn't happen for a multiplicity of reasons

Regional fashion hasn't really existed since the early 90s, I'd even go as far as the early 80s. It's not a new thing that people are dressing like their favorite celebrities. TV, movies, and magazines made sure that girls in little no where towns were in tight fitting daisy duke denim shorts, striped tube socks, spaghetti strap tops, and roller skates during the summer, as if they were on Venice beach.

the internet subcutulres are part of pop culture these days

Thanks for this thread OP. On the other hand, half of the people posting here seem to be affected by your post since "normies" dress better than them. Yes, Chad dresses better than you. "Better" as in people around you will all think he looks aesthetically superior to you. I'm not even going to mention the guy who thinks you shouldn't wear clothes based on the weather and environment you're in. Topkek material, I actually laughed. I mean, it's absolutely fine if you want to go full rick in Texas but don't expect people to think you look good because not even rick would be proud of that. You're out of context, period. It just seems ridiculous. I wholeheartedly think that if people in this board spent their money travelling instead of clothes, at least for a year, they'd finally realize what's out there. Just explore the world guys and you'll see how many of your problems are fucking ridiculous and you'll evolve in diverse ways, becoming actually Veeky Forums will be one of them.

what are you on about there's threads about observations on regional fashion on here quite often these clueless kids posting like they know something baka

what are you talking about?

I hardly ever see threads here talking about regional fashion.

This piqued my interest because the other day I heard some old guy that works in the industry talking about this same subject, about how kids all dress the same and back in the day you could tell where someone was from based on their clothes. But I'm old enough to remember the early 90s and he's definitely looking back at those years with rose colored glasses. We were dressing like our favorite musical artist, or skateboarders and what not depending on what scene you were in.

This is just a response to people making claims about "memewear" and the negative effects of the internet on diverse fashion.

I agree. Liking a particular style or designer doesn't mean you should 100% model your wardrobe around it. Too many people mistake the lack of self awareness for confidence. It doesn't matter though, this board is pretty bad. If anything I use it as reference as what not to wear and what trends to avoid.

The first consideration for your clothing should always be the weather, e.g.,

If it's hot & humid that day, flannel or anything of wool is ridiculous.

If you're going to be out in the sun, you need a hat with a brim ALL THE WAY AROUND if you don't want skin cancer.

Long sleeves with shorts are a contradiction that just looks stupid.

Short skirts in a real winter make no sense at all.

Climate is the primary reason for so much variation in dress from one region to another.

First time I've come to Veeky Forums in years and I see a good post. Bump for visibility. Everything you've said is the truth (learned this the hard way)

>
Long sleeves with shorts are a contradiction that just looks stupid.

Why is that considered bad but long pants and shorts sleeves not?

Because arms generally want more freedom of movement in whatever you're doing. If one or the other is going to be short, it should be the sleeves. It eliminates the dragging in food, if nothing else.

i agree. i definitely think that certain pieces of clothing look better/worse depending on the environment that they are worn in

uhm i live in a warm year-round area and i'll wear long sleeve with shorts if it's windy. i don't feel particularly cold in my legs but i'd put a jacket if the weather drops even sligthly. plus i gotta deal with everywhere being air conditioned while also walking around in scalding heat

plus you can roll up sleeves but you can't roll up pants

what kind of constricting shirts are you wearing

Mostly I think about dragging sleeves in things as I'm working at a table.

thanks I didn't know that brand (Avanti