/saving money/

I am incredibly lazy, but I also am pretty good at not spending money.

What are some easy changes people can make to their lives that can SAVE them money without costing any effort. So not this "making your own soap" nonsense. I mean stuff like not getting a landline and just getting Skype or Whatsapp or whatever. Torrenting all your movies. Eating Pasta. Stuff like that.

Other urls found in this thread:

jlcollinsnh.com/2013/05/29/why-your-house-is-a-terrible-investment/
jlcollinsnh.com/2012/02/23/rent-v-owning-your-home-opportunity-cost-and-running-some-numbers/
dailymotion.com/video/xwh54i_extreme-cheapskates-s01e05-jeff_shortfilms
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

shameful selfbump

you should be shameful. im the dude that makes his own soap

Good for you. Nothing wrong with that, that was just not the type of advice I was looking for.

>using soap
I haven't used soap, toothpaste or any ""personal care"" product other than shampoo and deodorant in years. Shave your head for maximum savings too.

this pseudo frugality is absurd
instead of attacking the main cost drivers of your life like auto and housing you want to save a couple bucks on pasta

DONT MARRY
DONT PROCREATE
DONT BUY A HOUSE
BUY ECONOBOXES
THE END

As a corollary, get a job close to home.
I did all those things you mentioned and I still pay like 1/3rd of my yearly salary in transport costs and other shit related to working in another city, not to mention the time wasted.

>DONT MARRY
>DONT PROCREATE
>DONT BUY A HOUSE

Might as well not live at all. Alone in a cuckshed - you call this "a life"?

Instead of saving all your money spend it on some stocks and stuff.

>i live to provide for my spouse and offspring
>every day i work hard out of fear of getting fired and not being able to make payments on the mortgage and muh kids losing my insurance benefits
good life you got there idiot

>>i live to provide for my spouse and offspring

you have a better idea? Your parents raised you by following these goals, are you saying your parents were idiots too?

Oh wait, i know. "Live for yourself", "play vidya/smoke pot all day" that's the REAL reasons to live, is it?
No wonder the West is dying. All because of fucking millenial shits like you, with your faggot-enabling attitude.

>>every day i work hard out of fear of getting fired and not being able to make payments on the mortgage and muh kids losing my insurance benefits

That is the incentive to get better at the job you're doing. It worked before and it works now. Having your family makes you responsible, makes you a real man. Until you have this responsibility you aren't a man, you're a child.
Fucking millenials don't want to work and take responsibility and then they dare to bitch about the lack of jobs and "muh boomers".

my parents were too poor to afford the abortion lol

now i make six figures and dont have to suck my boss's dick so that my life doesnt come crashing down
lol the best part is i dont give a fuck if the west declines either, ill be dead! :^)

I don't see how I was being "pseudo frugal" by asking for general saving tips? Those tips you gave are examples of the things I was looking for.

What's the reason behind not buying a house though?

(I'm OP, just in a different location now)

>Alone in a cuckshed - you call this "a life"?
literally the best way of living

That's good you'll be able to afford all that oral surgery later on with the money you saved on toothpaste lol

Toothpaste costs literally less than $3 and lasts over 2 months what the actual fuck are you doing

because housing is your greatest expense in life
dont skimp on things like diet to be frugal
tackle the big things and dont sweat the chump change

that is the fundamental difference between frugal and miser
honestly after housing, auto, and betacuck provider bullshit, you have bills

use something like Ting for phone service
buy cheap used phones, reevaluate how much electronic crap you really need

piracy is a given, pirate everything you can for as long as you can

I already do most of the things you say, but I'm not convinced about the house thing. Renting seems like throwing away money. To me it seems it's better to buy a small house or apartment.

Just google "eaely retirement extreme" its all coverd in mind numbing detail

it only pays off after 7 years
if you dont have kids why do you need to landlock yourself like that?
have you ever owned a house? do you realize how much bullshit is involved?

other than that if youre already more frugal than most, the only thing you can really do is increase your income

for a minimized grocery bill, you can inspect the weekly ads from all of your grocery stores online, determine your needs, and make one large roundtrip around your town once a week or so
make sure to use cash back credit cards

jlcollinsnh.com/2013/05/29/why-your-house-is-a-terrible-investment/
jlcollinsnh.com/2012/02/23/rent-v-owning-your-home-opportunity-cost-and-running-some-numbers/

That first article makes the mistake of thinking I look at buying a house as "an investment". I know it's not an investment. I am not interested in selling it later. I just want a guarantee that I'll have a place to live when I'm 80 years old. That's all that matters to me. That and spending as little money as possible in the long run.

if you were to take the money youd put into a house and keep it in low cost index funds you would have more than enough to fund your housing through retirement

you also wouldnt have to put down money on a rickety shit shack hammered together by illegals

You can buy a home if you have your finances in order. Get a triplex with an owner occupat loan (5% down payment) or buy a home and get some roommates to help pay off mortgage if the area is allows.

You're basically telling me to gamble with the money I "save" by not paying for a house. I'd rather not gamble and be 100% certain of having a roof over my head.

This is pretty much already my attitude towards life. I doubt that I'll be able to retire early though.

The only way it's 100% certain is if you have get it fully paid off, but even then, eminent domain. So lets say you have $200 000 of equity tied up in a house, the value of that is barely going to keep up with inflation if at all.

If you were instead to purchase ETFs, starting with an equivalent $40 000 down payment, and contributing $1000 a month instead of paying off a mortgage, after the ~13 years that it would take to pay off the mortgage, you would instead have $345 000 assuming a very realistic 7% growth per year.

And what if I lose money on that ETF? Or even if I breakeven? What then?

This whole investment meme seems to heavily rely on a whole lot of wishful thinking imo.

as if the value of a house cant plummet?
i dont really want to get into this house vs apartment argument because if you want a house the frugal option is to pick a shitshack in a shithole with as few bedrooms and bathrooms as possible which is fine

It doesn't matter if it's market value plummets, because it's value for me as a roof over my head will always remain constant.

good infidels

No need, my hobo friends showed me how to perform oral surgery for $0.

Saving money.

interest on mortgages is literally throwing money away.

i actually use shitpaste but have yet to find one study showing that is helps u'r teeth.

don't be a followfag

Do not listen to these edgy fucking teens
Get as low a Mortgage as you humanly can. Or pay it all off instantly.
U can camp in your own living room with no light of heat if you absolutely have to.

I've got a paid off house and believe me it takes the stress out of work.
I'm free to save up and do with it what I want. Mo ey begets money too

(I'm OP, just in a different location now)

this

it is a really good feeling to be in the so called 'rat race' by choice rather than a slave to it

going against meme advice and buying a paid off shit shack was one of the best decisions ive ever made

inb4 australia, canada, commiefornia, san fran and NYC tears

Let's explorer the dark side of frugality.

Starting off with a classic: dailymotion.com/video/xwh54i_extreme-cheapskates-s01e05-jeff_shortfilms

I nominate this guy as a the Veeky Forums frugal meme mascot.

Holy kek this is fucking great.

>his homemade deoderant
>that old lady that had no idea how wifi works

This thread reminded me of this fucking guy when I first saw this years ago. Just force meme this guy as the pseudo-frugal mascot. He's such a worthy and memorable character.

Eat eggs a lot as protein. I don't know about pasta or rice, it seems about as good/cheap as bread but harder to prepare.

i feel better about my miser ways now
dudes got 95,000 miles on his bike lmao

>a can of sardines
>a large bread roll
>a bottle of mineral water
Total cost - $2.50

This. Things like a bag of potatoes, apples, rice and a carton of eggs are the only "pseudo-frugality" things that really make a difference without totally tanking your quality of life.

The big cost drivers are housing and things like car payments or gas / maintenance. If you live rent-free you're basically on easy street so long as you don't have a drug/alch problem and don't eat out every night like a retard. If you must pay rent, the best way to mitigate that varies by location.

tried sardines and anchovies just once. cant stomach them. even made a sandwich from some decent suggestions

ill never be uber-frugal.

Do you guys have any advice for buying a shit shack? I'm already in the midwest so there must be some around here, but how do I make sure that the hovel I'm looking at is actually cheap and not just a cleverly disguised trap?

it helps to have an understanding of construction or home improvement, a willingness to learn/get your hands dirty and being realistic

county foreclosure sales youll find the best prices but the most risks (liens, potentially expensive repairs since you cant do a home inspection, cash only)

traditional realtor shown homes are the most expensive but have less risk (you can do a home inspection, free and clear title without a cloud over it, ability to finance it)

it all depends on your financial situation. i got lucky at a county auction and bought my first home cash

>lets say you have $200 000 of equity tied up in a house
ok. but how much rent are we going to compare this 'tied up equity' to? 30 yrs of rent payments?

agreed. have a paid-for shit shack so i'm able to shit-post all day if i want to. can afford to be choosy when it comes to jobs. stress is at all time lows... feels pretty good. only bad thing is that without the bank breathing down my neck i don't have a lot of motivation to eat shit for a paycheck.

Stop drinking alcohol

Buy rice and beans, eat those instead of going to restaurants, alternatively learn to cook if rice and beans get boring

Switch phone providers to ting

Cancel subscriptions like netflicks, spotify, etc

Drive as little as possible

"A man who lives alone is either a beast or a god, says Aristotle. Leaving out the third case: one must be both. A Philosopher." - Nietzsche

Being alone is not the problem, I would say it makes me very confortable that way. The down side is feeling alone, but also manageable.

>too poor to afford the abortion

I've heard people say this before and it honestly doesn't make sense. I get that some people are morally conflicted about abortions, but if you have no moral qualms with it and are concerned about spending money an abortion is one of the most frugal and cost effective things you can do. I don't know how much an abortion costs, but I can guaran-damn-tee you it's cheaper than a fucking kid.

TFW just realized an abortion is literally the highest financial ROI you can get on ANYTHING.

No you're not.

What makes seven percent growth realistic?

Only if you're a permavirgin betamax manchild. You don't even realize that no decent woman will want you and you will be forced to masturbate for the rest of your miserable life, without access to real pussy.

No cable, just internet.
Make your own lunch.
Public transit if possible and get an unlimited pass which is cheaper if you ride enough. Keep a car just for places you can't get on transit.
Cut your own own hair.
If you're going to a bar, be drunk before you go and never buy a woman a drink unless you're sure she'll fuck.

grow your own plants to get more out of your pasta. you don't want to be a weak fuck

they literally could not scrounge up the money in the first trimester it seems

your obese cow isnt real pussy