Suits General

Suit general.
Tips, brands, and recommendations welcome!

Men's warehouse had some great entry level smart fabric suits. I like their looser fit, with room to breath and move.

The stretch in the fabric makes them much more comfortable.

>pic related nice fit

Other urls found in this thread:

askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?87866-What-is-waist-suppression
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

all you need to know is, make sure the materials are there, get everything tailored, and if you're going to wear a watch it can't be a shitty 20 dollar watch or it has to look like its not a shitty 20 dollar watch, also your shoes need to be good or your suit falls apart.

brooks brothers
brioni
zegna
canali
ravazzolo

what else is good

Bobonos?

Don't think the shoes really fit on this one

Yeah, it's the shoes that don't fit. Good catch, user.

bonobos are a kind of monkey

w2c suit if you only really need it for the odd funeral? I don't dress up at all, I don't think I've ever worn a single pair of dress shoes more than once

Suitsupply

SUIT PRO TIPS TO THE TEENS AND 20 YEAR OLDS OF Veeky Forums FROM A 28 YEAR OLD SEMPAI WHO WEARS THEM DAILY.

FIT

-Make sure your jacket isn't too short or too long. The back of the jacket should meet roughly where the bottom of your butt cheeks are.

-Be conscious of your lapel width and your lapel-to-tie width ratio. Your lapels and tie should be of matching width. Lapel and tie width is very dependent on your size and frame. For most regular sized younger guys, go with a 2.5 inch tie and lapels to match. This is one step slimmer than a very traditional tie width, but not slim enough to really be a "skinny" tie, which is more like 2.0 inch. If you are a bigger guy, consider 3.0 or 3.5.

-your trousers will probably need to be hemmed and should have no break or a half break. It's up to you but I personally prefer no break.

COLORS AND PATTERNS

-If you are getting one suit, get solid navy. Navy suits are versatile and go with both brown or black belts/shoes. Avoid black suits imho unless it's necessary. Avoid pinstripes and other patterns, they generally look bad or like something a Boomer would wear.

-Do not mix and match belt and shoe color (black belt brown shoes) and do not wear brown shoes with a black suit. Fuck this makes my eye twitch whenever I see it.

-Shirts should be in very pale, solid colors. Do not wear a shirt in a deep saturated color.

-Have fun experimenting with ties, but generally lean toward simple and use common sense. I personally only have solid and dot ties but you don't have to limit yourself to that.

this

I also recommend charcoal grey if you don't want a navy suit (although navy is an extremely good choice)

Can confirm, got one tailored at Nordstrom.

>Bobonos
Also it's Bonobos

>-If you are getting one suit, get solid navy.
navy isn't an awful choice but i have to disagree here, i'd say if you only have one suit, make it a darker gray.

Personally, I think grey is FAR more versatile than blue.

I get tired of hearing people preach the brown & blue over and over.

I live in East Asia so a black suit is actually the most versatile. I prefer black suits anyway, so I'm happy.

youre right on that, but i tend to see an equal distribution. people dont wanna stray too far from their comfort zone so its usually black - shades of grey - dark blues

Well, agree to disagree I guess, I just don't think charcoal grey is as versatile as navy. It doesn't work with as many browns. In addition to black shoes, a navy suit looks good with any brown from traditional to more walnut and its the only suit color that works with a more orange/tan color shoe and belt like the picture. Grey does not work with that color.

>I live in East Asia so a black suit is actually the most versatile

How do you mean?

>How do you mean?

Black suits are the norm in China and Japan, though people too mix it up more than they used to. I've never been to Korea, so I don't know about them. A lot of casual clothes are also black and white. Denim and pink are popular with women.

There are pros and cons, but you can have a fully functional wardrobe with only black and white items.

2 piece > 3 piece
American > British > Italian
Relaxed/Slim > Skinny
Mid Gray > Navy > Charcoal (versatility)
Any other color is a gimmick
100% Wool or 100% Linen only
No peak lapel
Buy good shoes.
No skinny ties, no fat ties
Tie should end at the middle of the belt buckle
White dress shirt
Red or Blue tie
No button collars
Mostly avoid patterns
Get your shit tailored

also:
wear oxfords

if you want to wear a suit casually, wear a casual fabric shirt with a button down collar and no tie. compliment with monks/loafers.

I'm going to a wedding tomorrow, how do I look?

you may not like it but this is what peak tailorship looks like

lose the straight skinny tie.

>wearing a suit casually

Le class is for men

>what is east coast business casual

clean your room

Are you gonna hang yourself on that?

suit looks /bad/ but more than anything lose the tie. get a normal width red tie with a lowkey pattern.

I've got my first job interview coming up, as well as a "formal meeting".

What the heck do I look for at the shops? I'm not spending more than £80 for the whole suit.

Any styles? What kind of shoes should I wear for " business casual "?

Still look like an autist. If you are under 30, please do not wear menswear... your babyface young ass will look goofy.

>being too retarded to have a white collar job before 30

>I'm not spending more than £80 for the whole suit
you're probably fucked. pick something up at the thrift store (as close to your size as possible, better big than small) and Get It Tailored.

>American > British > Italian

>get 2 week chauffeur/executive security gig
>notice that every guy in a polyblend suit has polished pants from sliding around in cars.
>inform the team leader that polyblend suits look cheap and reflect badly on the Principal.
>team leader takes it personally
>doesn't renew my contract

In conclusion; do not get polyblend suits if you intended to wear them everyday.

no, in conclusion don't be a smartass. You could have said that in the long run they are a bad investment, but you had to be a little cunt about it.

Anyone know where to find a suit similar to that? I'm kinda unsure about the material, I feel like it's tweed but it doesn't quite look as thick as the usual tweed suits I look up on Google

That was how he rationalized it though.
He thought polyblend was a better investment because you can get two or more suits for the price.

Also I was a cunt about it because I didn't want to be associated with a group of guys who looked like they pissed themselves.

If it's just for the odd funeral your average H&M or other mall suit will probably do. Just getting it tailored a bit can often make it look like a more expensive suit.

>Italian > British > American

FTFY

Fuck your American baggy style

r8 an h8
sorry it's T I M E L E S S

Lol

im talking about the cut, not the make. (also speaking as an Amrican).

>wanting to look like a nancy when you're wearing a suit (aka in a position where you're likely competing for power)

Should I wear a suit if I'm a doctor or just go business casual?

full rick

How do i dress in a black suit without looking like a waiter or a funeral agent?
Any tips?

Is SuitSupply a meme? There is a Nordstrom and SuitSupply near me, and I am poor. W2c suit?

Gtfo with your retarded list.

SuitSupply is pretty good for the money. Since you have a store near you, go in and try some shit on. Finding something that'll fit perfectly off the rack is really rare, but it'll help give you an idea of what fit works for you.

Four in hand or windsor?

How well do you think this suit fits?
The lower part stacks a little on the shoe while standing, I dont know if I should get it to fit just a bit obver the shoe.

Who makes a good pair of oxfords shoes? I have a rough idea of what to look for in quality dress shoes, but not the faintest idea of any brands to start with.

Depends on what your standards are for "good." Allen Edmonds is generally considered a "good" entry-level dress-shoe maker. They're currently having a sale on their Dark Burnished Chili colored shoes, which you can get for ~$250 USD. That's essentially factory second prices for firsts quality, but if that's still a bit more than you'd like to spend, their factory seconds are also on sale down to $195 for 5th avenues. Aside from that, Meermin offers decent quality shoes starting at $175 and Jack Erwin is a similarly priced, roughly the same quality alternative. If you're in the EU, you may want to consider Loake's 1880 line. Lower quality but slightly cheaper options are Florsheim and Johnston & Murphy.

If you're looking for something a bit nicer than those, and don't mind spending 400+ on dress shoes, then you can check out Tricker's, Crockett & Jones, Enzo Bonafe, Cheaney, Carmina, Edward Green, etc.

Very well. There doesn't appear to be a problem. You have a pocket square and shirt-cuffs showing, as well, so you have those advantages. If you want to, you could have a tailor take in the pants a little bit, removing an inch, or more or less, for the length.

>im talking about the cut
That's exactly what I thought.

don't wear a tie. Just wear white shirts.

bump

SuitSupply, Black Lapel, Indochino or Thick as Thieves for a cheap first suit?

We're literally talking about *casually*.

Of course wear menswear to your white collar job even if you're under 30. You'll still look a little bit like a boy playing dress up in dad's clothes.

show shoes

>he's never been to a business casual event related to his white collar job
or do you show up in a blue dress shirt, khakis, and loafers?

>own one of pic related with no collar tabs and blue piping on the collar
>can't bring myself to wear it because of the holes for shoulder boards

Will people notice these or am I doomed to never be able to wear this?

I wanna wear this tie that my landlord/roommate gave me for my birthday. I'm going to a wedding soon and I wanna wear this with a black suit, but I have no clue what color shirt can go with it.

Idk if this style even looks good but I want him to see me use it before I move out in the Summer. Thanks Veeky Forums

it's pretty ugly m8. I'd burn it.

grey suit (subtle pattern) and white shirt would look best with this tie

if youre gonna wear it with a black suit though white shirt still the obvious choice. maybe add a pocket square to offset the garishness.

Love the tie. I'd say in doubt go for a white shirt, or maybe a light blue.

Is that Keith Olbermann? Better hope GQ doesn't see that terrible fit

Well, they really do not fit the oversized look he is going for...

You got that tie in the kids section, admit it.

I'd flip american and english.

:b:opped a double breasted jacket myself lately, vintage Brussel school jacket from probably 1970's. Great construction and the cut was nice off the rack. Tad long, but keep in mind I won't wear this with skinnies.

if you reduce the jacket's waist it would be a 10/10

are you talking about the length or the circumference?
either way thanks for input, i've heard from others the waist is slightly large for my scrawny ass.

Red or blue ties are for politicians and car salesmen

Also what the FUCK are you talking about, a tie at the middle of the belt buckle is wayyyyy too long

Nerd

the circumference around your waist. It's called waist suppression: askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?87866-What-is-waist-suppression

If you're wearing a black suit, you only want to wear white shirts and a solid color tie.

For that tie, and especially a wedding, you'd be better off in a different suit. A middle-grey or patterned/non solid color suit would do well.

So I'm a 22 year old slightly overweight manlet looking to invest in a versatile suit. This would be my first suit that I would use for job interviews, etc. So I don't mind investing 1k into a suit & fitting.

My real question is, I'm 5'5 and around 170 pounds. Should I try to lose twenty-thirty pounds first and then go suit shopping, or just go now, get it tailored to fit, and then get it tailored again to fit my slimmer body?

Also, what's a good versatile suit for someone like me? I was thinking a suit with a small pattern that forms a charcoal gray. However, I don't know what brand to go with. The most I'd like to budget is $2000.

Lose some weight, get a much cheaper suit off rack then get it tailored. As long as the shoulders amnd armholes fit perfect off rack and everything else is close, it'll look bespoke after decent alterations.

Especially if you've not had a suit before, you don't want to spend above $300 for everything aknd can probably get better for cheaper.

you have to be honest with yourself. Are you really going to lose some weight? How much time will it take you?
If you are really committed to lose some weight, congrats, and then just buy a cheaper suit. 30 pounds of weight difference are a lot of changes in a suit, so it won't be advisable.
The most versatile suit depends on our hair colour and skin tone. 1K is a lot of money for a suit, you are can find a lot of options. A LOT. So again, give us some more info.

So yeah, I'm pretty committed to losing the weight over the course of a year. I've tried to lose a ton of weight in the past quickly by using diets, etc. But I've just decided that my best course of action would be to just fast until the afternoon and eat one large balanced meal.

As far as hair color and skin, I'm a pale white guy with brown hair, but my beard sort of grows out looking slightly lighter; since some of my hairs are more of an orange in hue. My eyes are a light blue.

Alright, so I should just hit up a mall then and get one of the suits from a Macy's type store instead, and then get it fitted the right way?

Should I trust someone who tailors the suits in a mall to give me valid pointers on what to look for in a suit's cut for my height and everything? What should I look out for in regards to a suit?

For your colours a light grey would be nice, or a navy blue with some details in the fabric. Not patterns, but some detail in the same fabric. Check the materials. 100% wool, no blends. Two button jacket. A standard to narrow notch, no peaks. I prefer flap pockets.
Pleated pants if your thighs are big.

The material is corduroy. Wes loves that shit. You can find some full corduroy suits at goodwill or your nearest second hand store sometimes

zara-core suits are alright just prepare for it to only last a year before its starts falling apart. You could upgrade it by having the sleeves taken in a little bit (not shortened, thats something else. Length is alright in your case). Also taper your pants so they rest right were you ankle begins.

Please can someone give me an exact Id on pic related
Idk if it's the forever shirt or not

The white shirt I mean

s o r t y o u r s e l f o u t

how well would something like this work with a black suit for non formal occasions? what tie would i wear with it?

Do you absolutely need a suit? You could just get some nice trousers and wear a jumper over a shirt?

>wear a jumper over a shirt
It's almost June, that would look out of place af

In which case just wear a shirt and save for a jacket

if i want to buy a used black suit from CDG or something like that, should i just look for whole suits or buy pants and blazer independently? i want them to match so the first option is much simpler but there aren't many choices.

"American > British > Italian"
Revers that shit

"Any other color is a gimmick"
"No peak lapel"
"Red or Blue tie"
"Mostly avoid patterns"
Show's you lack knowledge of style

"No skinny ties, no fat ties"
3.5" ties and lapels are Veeky Forums as fuck

To both: Don't, just don't.

Ignore the others
Don't wear a tie
Go full drug dealer or something like pic related if ur handsome and cool you'll look great

that rolex looks so tacky there.

Corneliani, Hickey Freeman, Jack Victor, Oxxford

An unbuttoned Oxford collar with a coat and tie, however, is not.

Wait. I've lost about 15 myself and my waist went down at least 2 inches. You can only do so much tailoring before there's too much excess fabric