Writer Meme

Is there any realistic chance of making real money of writing?
Im interested in ghost writing, blogging, & book writing (& pretty much any other way to profit from writing).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G05QtiHP1lI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Write erotic fiction targeted to women. Write lots and lots of it. Make money.

I don't want to give out too many details, but I'm almost making a full-time income with this. By next year, I'm going to quit my shitty day job and do this for a living.

Long answer: you can make money doing almost anything

Short answer: No, unless you're a well connected and really great writer.

Not without luck tbqhf.

Do it as a hobby if you want though.

Yes, I just know that anytime I ask anyone if there is a chance of something working they say no.

Realistically take each one of those things you want to do and create a plan to make them work.

You will have to manage your being productive in each or which one as far as getting a blog, article, or book done in a timely manner.

You will have to identify "SEVERAL" different means of distribution. What sites you try to get articles posted on, what sites you try to get books sold on, and an effective traffic network for your blog.

To be honest with you just based on effective marketing you could become a successful writer while writing completely shit articles (don't do that).

When things aren't working or working well you just have to identify why and fix.

Time management is important. Everyone is lazy so don't be.

Find out how to submit articles to blogs or papers or journals or magazines and build a resume.

failing is an important part of success so don't expect to instantly be recognized as the next hunter s. Thompson

You could also try publishing and selling books that have no copyright on them or are public domain to keep you afloat while beginning. You might not think people would buy something they could get for free but, people don't pay attention to half the shit they do any way

>Find out how to submit articles to blogs or papers or journals or magazines and build a resume

hobby e-zine just starting up reporting in, leave a temporary e-mail address and I'll contact you about this

oh shit wait a sec

is this against the rules? I know there's a no leaving contact board somewhere here but iunno which one it is, reading the sticky it don't seem so

Define real money
If you mean $1000-$2000 a month yes
If you mean 100k fuck no
Get into programming for that shit

What is your e-zine about?

[email protected]

Are you kidding? These days when you can sell digital copies online to anybody in the world? Sure, there's stiff competition. Why not if you're a good writer? The barriers to entry have never in the history of man been this low. Computers coupled with the Internet are the biggest technological improvement to writing since the printing press.

music

I play guitar. You may email that address if you like. It will no longer be available as soon as I close the window. The address was generated by the mail provider. If I leave the window it will just generate another one.

All great suggestionons, thanks anons

Right wing childrens books is the go user.
Take old fairy tales ( or make up your own) and tell them correctly the right wing way.

You could write instruction manuals!
greeting cards or Memes they're popular these days

That is actually a good point OP. Be creative about what you decide to write. Some children's books are 20 pages long with less than a paragraph on each page. If you set up a network of people capable of creating them you could just shit them out all day. Especially if they were some weird animated E-book with moving characters. You could make decent money off something like that.

Yes I was actually serious about that..i don't know bout the right wing bit though kekekek

Start with jack and jill a hetero sexual couple of kids who got into some mischeif whilst exploring a deserted quarry, they were told not to go there but didn't listen jack was showing off jill tried to copy im thn they both fell and skint there knees their mother was very dissapoint , told then to clean up put on a band-aid then gave them ice cream.

There could be like 2 super heros that are against each other. 1 is a liberal the other is a conservative. They always oppose eachother but have to team up in the end. There you go OP I just made you enough money to start a medium sized country.

I am jack's skint knee

In the future years (even NOW actually) children will need a way to deal with the ideological differences of the adults around them so yeah in order to ease the anxieties, some common sense stories would be good.

yes and some characters in the middle to represent common sense and they can go on wild adventures exploring with subtlety the issues the to super heroes are fighting over.

I hear steven Spielberg is making "the magic schoolbus". It stars will smith as a heroic janitor, mark walburg as a brain tumor, and Dakota Phanning as the teachers aide.

>Mark Walburg as a brain tumor
hahahaha

Plus the principal with the loud voice in the movie "Problem Child" plays a principal with a loud voice.

The thing about writing is that almost anyone can do it. It's not a special skill at all. Just like acting. Something has to be very marketable about your writing in order to make any money off it.

Writing is a special skill. Most people cannot do it. You have to market effectively.

Google 'Neil Patel 100k challenge'

Yes, you can make money writing.

I've been a copywriter for a marketing agency for nearly a year now but I'm trying to make money from my own blogs. The gist of it is:
- find a niche
- blog regularly about it
- get ranked on first page of google for long tail phrases
- monetise your site by selling a related product NOT VIA SELLING ADS

Do it right and you'll have, say, 100k (not much in the scheme of things) visitors a month. They'll all be qualified (interested in) your product so you should be able to achieve decent conversion rates.

Say, for example, 1% of your visits convert. If your product sells for $5 margin, you're making $5k per month. Then you make 2 products, 3 products, etc. and just squeeze as much revenue from your visitors as possible.

Other skills you'll need:
- SEO
- Content marketing
- Social media marketing
- Knowledge of stuff like CTAs, conversion rates, A/B testing, etc.

This ^^^ is all relatively simple to learn about.

I've started a few blogs recently and a couple are getting decent traffic for how long I've spent on them. Realistically you have to expect to wait about 6 months for a decent Google ranking (which = traffic).

My latest blog is celebhairtransplants .com - going to sell either a hair loss product (e.g. Ketoconazole shampoo) or an ebook

Not unless you're really good at it, or get lucky.

As the saying goes, 'don't quit your day job'.

Need a website?

I read female-authored fanfiction. It is appealing to get inside their fantasies, which are debased in ways I barely imagined.
Care to share a tip?

>celebhairtransplants .com
If this page is more than a week old you should really consider hiring someone who knows what they're doing to help you with your site.

Neil Patel made his fortune back when you could simply make a 5 page site, slap a few affiliate links on it, and rake in the cash.

It wasn't hard at all.

In other words, SEO is soooo 2009.

>"I've started a few blogs recently..."
Biggest mistake I've ever fucking made when I started out. I bought domains for like 10 different niches and put shit all on the sites.

Pick one. Stick with it. After 3 months you should easily be making ~$100 a day. By then you should have somethings automated. If anything outsource some work to fiverr, but I highly recommend using software and doing it yourself.

For the first site you should be spending 6-8 hours a day working on it for about a week. Then once you gain traction you can ease off a bit. Eventually you'll find yourself spending only 1 hour a day for the site. Then its time to with a new site.

The real money comes from selling the site. The more automated it is the higher you can price it. Something that turns you out $35,000 a year is worth ~$120,000.

Lot's of money in this to go around. Play it smart.

You're right about Neil Patel being in the right place at the right time but there are still opportunities. Obviously, for marketing, where everyone knows what they're doing and knows how to rank well etc., then it's not worth it because it's just too competitive.

Yeah, the site is a week old, but I didn't think it was that bad! I need to sort my CTA out and definitely the landing page for the email capture ebook form but what's so bad about it? I was hoping I'd learn a bit about web dev from these blogs but DESU i just compromised on my ideas to fit the theme and avoid doing too much dev. Any tips would be welcome though re. improving the sites - they all look similar(ish) to that one.

Also, I don't know what I'd do with 6-8 hrs for one site at the moment. Blogs take me about 2hrs tops and social posts, etc. about 30 mins a day (easy once you have a back log of content). This is why I've started so many, I'm going to stick with each of them for 6 months and replace the ones that aren't showing promise with other ideas. What else do I need to be doing (besides improving my web dev skills)

Google's new ranking algorithm is fucking bonkers.

No one really knows how to rank for it yet but making sure your site is optimized for mobile devices is probably your best shot.

Lots of original content. Aim for 30+ posts. Make videos, get a social media following.

E-mail is always good. But you need to know your demographic. Older folks aren't going to be too in tune with social media.

If you're targeting younger people make sure you focus a lot more on social media. You need to be consistently popping up in all of their feeds.

In regards to the site design the best advice I can give you is to up the perceived value of your site. High quality graphics. Properly planned colour pallets, videos, and importantly solid organization.

colourlovers .com is great for looking through. Much like painting a room, your site should definitely have a colour scheme that doesn't clash.

oh and color-hex .com is great.

Hue. I also do what you do. You dirty dirty man.

What's your typical wordcount per ebook, if you don't mind me asking?

Writerfag here. A good story, as determined by the majority of the audience, will always find a market.

Dropped out of uni to gw been at it 5 years with 600 projects so far. Ask me whatever.

Ive actually hired people to write for me off biz and it went amazing lol

I left grad school in January and have been tuomg to "make it" as a writer since then. It is not easy, but I am beginning to see a bit of forward motion. I want to get in to what is doing but haven't been able to yet. Right now I am only making about 2k a month by freelance writing. My strategy has been to charge a medium rate (about .15 cents per word) to clients and then hire a ghostwriter on upwork to do the writing for me at about .5 cents per word. Trying to grow my stable of clients in the meantime.

How do I land my first copywriting client? What skills are most important for copywriting?

What are your rates?

Do they differ based on your own knowledge on certain subjects?

Hey mates, i wanted to make some side buck (around 1-2k us dollars/month) and i wanted to know if writing as a freelancer or blogging would suffice, and realistically, how long would it take to genereate that ammount of income.

Do you have the gift? If yes then yes, if no then no.

/thread

>How do I land my first copywriting client?

i recommend putting all your creativity and energy into writing a classified ad for yourself

you could also post on boards around a local campus

i had to look up what copyrighting meant. my work is

95% homework

5%resumes

>What skills are most important for copywriting?

Imo:

1. grammar
2. interfacing with clients
3. working fast
4. being good at editing your own work

>Do they differ based on your own knowledge on certain subjects?

No, i have no knowledge of anything at all just grammar and vocab. i use plain english wiki to fast pill me on a subject then make up the rest, charge per page so I can use formatting tricks to write less per page.

>You can't make it unless you have good connections
I never understood this point. This applies to ANY and EVERY job there is.

Same with "it's too competitive" or "the industry is too saturated". Every job requires you to be competitive and there's no such thing as a "saturated" market.

People who use it as an argument to drive others away from a pursuit in some art-related career are only fooling themselves. It may make less money compared to other careers, but that's not the point. You still need skill, talent, connections, luck, etc. it's no different.

If you are good writer and have talent for it then yeah. If you are just ok or above average then no one is going to read your shit.

I'm seeing a lot of threads on writing/copywriting recently - awesome!

I'm a fairly experienced Copywriter, non-native English speaker and I make ~$2000/month with a

I think the most helpful information would be how you prospect clients. What is your biz dev cycle like?

r8 my writing, just starting out

me
I wasn't aware that the e-mail address was temporary so I passed it on to our team manager.
If you're still here user I'll stay here, you post another one and I'll contact you myself.

You need to be visible and consistently active.

The way I do it is I consume content (courses, videos, books, etc.) and make notes on the important points. Then I publish my own content in written or video form talking about those important things in a quick, value-filled and informational manner.

I put all this in FB groups, forums, Veeky Forums, etc. No selling, just valuable content.

People notice this, they engage and they start seeing you as an expert who knows his shit (and since you're actually taking notes and learning, you really do know your shit).

That's it, if you do this consistently with a goal of say "one quick video every day for 90 days", then clients will come with offers guaranteed.
You can also publish that you're looking for work and then hoards of people will want to work with you.

Right now my day looks like this:

> Check/reply to emails/proposals/etc. in the morning
> Go to university
> Listen to a podcast/course during the boring classes and take notes
> Go home and shoot a 1-2min video of me talking about the points I made in the notes, with examples, etc.
> Publish in my FB group, share to other groups, look at comments, engage with peers
> Work with clients I already have
> Workout
> Chill the rest of the day/evening

And repeat, sometimes replacing the video with a blog, etc.

I'm also working on an eBook, renewing my website and starting to generate a list to which I'll sell the eBook.

After I graduate I'll focus on making passive income with my own products and less with working for clients.

I have a degree in Marketing and a background in journalism and PR. Just graduated and have a cushy job at a Fortune 100 and love it, but really want a second stream of income. How do I get into copywriting?

... I think he just told you.

More pls

Since I'm guessing you have decent knowledge in marketing and sales, I'd suggest reading at least some the following:

"Scientific Advertising"
-by Claude Hopkins

"The Robert Collier Letter Book"
-by Robert Collier

"Tested Advertising Methods"
-by John Caples

"How To Write A Good Advertisement"
-by Vic Schwab

"The Gary Halbert Letter" (all back issues)
-by Gary Halbert

"The Boron Letters"
-by Gary Halbert

"The Lazy Man's Way to Riches"
-by Joe Karbo

"Break-Through Advertising"
-by Eugene M. Schwartz

"7-Steps To Freedom"
-by Ben Suarez

Facebook groups like "The Cult of Copy", "Internet Marketing Super Friends", etc. are jam-packed with good discussions and advice. Browse through those.

Remember to take notes on everything you read/see/hear as it will come in handy when creating your own material as I explained in the post above.

If you want a simple way to just get your feet wet without getting overwhelmed with all the books possible...

I'd recommend John Carlton's Simple Writing System.

John Carlton is a no bullshit type of guy and he's not trying to impose a persona - he's a real legend.

Thanks man. People like you are the heart and soul of Veeky Forums. srs

Thank you for your valuable input, allow me to partake in your good will for a second. I'm interested in generate passive income through writing, but i'm unsure on how to start.

I don't know if i should start freelancing right away, or develop a blog/website first. Alternatively, i haven't grasped exactly which content would i write about on my hypothetical website/blog. Should my blog contain multilingual content, or stick with english-only articles?

Thank you for your time and attention.

hey man!

well, this is a pretty broad question, but I'll try to answer it as best I can.

Before you go into freelancing it's very important that you have financial foundation. That could be a regular job like the user above, your parents, savings, etc.

Because freelancing is a feast or famine game, especially in the very beginning. You will have weeks, maybe even months without work, but if you set goals for yourself (like writing 5 job proposals/day) and stick to those goals you will land that job.

Once you have that financial foundation, the best way to see how stuff works is to find an expert in the niche you're interested in. Find someone who is fairly known and runs a larger than average business.

Contact them saying that you're looking for a mentorship and would gladly invest time and effort for the experience. This is what John Carlton calls the "whoring" phase, where you get to see how everything works on the inside, but don't get paid or get paid very little.

As for the website/blog, I'd suggest that you should't put the cart in front of the horse, meaning that you should do those things after you actually have valuable stuff to put there.

Some pro writers I know don't even have a website, they're just active on Facebook and that's enough exposure for them.

Don't really know about the multilingual content, I did start my career doing translations, but that got boring fast.

If you're from a big non-English country then maybe you could do something multilingual, but I quickly realized that there's no good opportunities where I live in.

Thanks man, really valuable stuff.

I'll research a bit more about freelance writting, find some profitable niche i'm familliar with, and then build a blog out of it.

I just need something to kickstart me. I'm studying, researching, collecting material, yet i can't get past this initial stage of planning.

best of luck!

Just don't get too caught up in the planning/researching phase, you'll just keep making excuses for yourself to start later when you're "ready".

Just do it. Everyone sucked when they started out, it's consistency that put them ahead.

youtube.com/watch?v=G05QtiHP1lI

I'm Any wise words on spiking interest? In the nature
of running an amateur music oriented blog I've
seen a lot of response from musicians.

Which is normal, because they can get something
in return for having an interest in my project.

But what should I do to get that kind of interest
from the general public? How do I design the
whole project so that when some random person
sees it they think to themselves "hey I can profit
from reading this"?

I've already started learning about sales practices
and that passion sells, but how do I rile a reader's
passion enough to keep them engaged?

Also for anyone interested in writing, if you want
to try and get some experience or name
recognition from the ground up, we'd be more
than interested in having you aboard.

See

Well the short answer is that nothing will get interest from the "general public".

One of the key steps in designing a product or service is the audience. You can't just shoot from the hip and hope to hit someone.

Now I'm not sure if you're still talking about the music thing or something completely different, but in any case you need to target your audience.

1.WHO is the specific target prospect? (be specific, gender, education, employment, family)

2.WHAT is the nature of their specific problem? physical, mental, emotional? Is it annoying, painful, bothersome?)

3.WHEN do they actually experience the problem? (How often? How long?)

4.WHERE else does the problem affect them negatively? (what are the ripple effects, or domino effects?)

5.WHY can't they solve it themselves?

6.HOW have they tried to solve it but failed? ('the full menu' of solutions that don't work)

7.WHAT IF they could solve it, what would life be like? (the possibilities of a life without suffering)

After my clients answer those questions I can start creating engaging content around their idea.

Answer these for yourself and hopefully you'll have a better picture on where to aim.

Which fandom? Be honest

...Harry Potter. To no-one's surprise, he is the bitch in all of them.
M-M pairings are completely equivalent to M-F pairings, but with the usual female anxieties about pregnancy, ugliness, or peer disapproval removed. Hence their popularity with anxious, unattractive and unpopular girls. It's like reading their secret diary.

I publish ebooks on Amazon kindle, doing pretty good so far. My aim is to pay my rent every month. Pic related, it's my last month's payments.

How are you still able to ride the eBook train after Kindle Unlimited?

Do the people who purchase your books have to actually read them and only then you get paid, or is it different?

Just curious because I listened to a podcast about guys making big money by publishing hundreds of eBooks, but since Kindle Unlimited their profits plunged to about 10% what they originally earned.

Care to elaborate on that?

OP there is much much more $ in screenwriting - you just need one good story to make a good $500k

I know someone who writes Bachelor's and Master's thesis. Usually gets around 1000-2000€ per thesis and takes around 1 week-10 days to write one

I don't enroll in kindle unlimited. It's not mandatory.

I'm looking to get into kindle, got a lot of spare time on my hands
Any tips?

Piggyback on an established author by copying or parodying their work. The best sales I've had are from a Harry Potter parody. Millions of people like the original already, so your market research and advertising has already been done.