/DIY/

Do it yourself/ re-purposing general

We hit 300 and kept the thread alive for a month!

Anything about making your own clothes, customizing and/or tailoring goes here. Talk about your projects. Ask Questions. Share information. Help each other out.

PASTEBIN:
pastebin.com/hnXtzTk7
(if you think the pastebin lacks any information, just ask)
Japanese magazines, just in case you need them
pastebin.com/Q2iDYiAM

last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

joann.com/nickel-jean-rivets-and-tools-5-16in/12139937.html#q=rivet+tool&start=1
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

best effay youtube alterations

My cat is effay as fuck, chewing on my tailoring measure tape

just got 3 yards of maroon corduroy fabric. I didn't realize how much 3 yards was.

I got 4 yards of black linen i have no clue what to do

Drip bleached my shirt that I accidentally spulled bleach on

make pants user!

yardage is dependent on fabric width
3 yards of a selvage might not give you enough to make 1 pair of pants
4 yards of linen could probably make 1 longsleeve button down and 1 shortsleeve button down
or you could panel it into a slub cotton jersey t shirt in areas that dont need to stretch

I'm going to be making some good good stuff with this.

Why didn't it work out?

things are difficult when working in a group, namely egos
whether it was issues about pulling your own weight, certain people wanting the documents to be under their names, issues when certain designs were cut, people missing deadlines

expected from a start up, i had a similar experience when interning at a start up

but now i've just been working on my own project, essentially a for-profit portfolio that i hope to one day grow into a platform for creators just starting out-- something i wish i had access to towards the end of fashion school

op of all the other /diy/ threads here
great job op, I really like the image you put up
I'm proud of this little "community'
cute kot

Out of curiosity, how much did you get done?

Thanks old OP, pretty much just copy pasted the old text and changed the flavor text though. The image is to build community spirit.

is there a /diy/ discord? if not someone should open one desu

congrats brosif that someone is now you

Please, no discord. These threads are already very slow. Discussion should be kept here.

fuck off

I had some old Onitsuka Lawnships that were getting old & dirty. So I decided to paint em. I was going to paint a tiger in the red area, but I'm trash at painting and they would've came out looking like shit. The other one is currently being painted.

What was the end goal of the project? What are you working on now?

i'd like to say 50%, but realistically we were probably at 33% per the level i hoped we'd be at

we wanted to bring back an emphasis on doing things the right way
as in, having a team that's all classically trained in this industry, given that we're from LA and that 90% of "designers" who claim LA are 1) not from here and 2) have no fashion background

fashion means so much to us, and we wanted what it used to mean to return, because the current state of fashion is a shit show

right now i'm just slowly building a small line, inspired by my childhood growing up as a skateboarder in the valley
it's not so much about my experiences, but the feeling of street skating in the late 90s early 2000s
but i've also got an obsession with runway fashion of the same timeline (margiela, yohji, lang, kawakubo, etc)
my t shirts are made of merino wool, i just sewed up a button down sample last weekend made of silk charmeuese

i'm just trying to bring finer fabrics down to a more (relatively) reasonable price, selling direct to consumers only

the end goal of this is to create 2 lines, 1 where i give a platform to fashion students/creatives trying to break in, as a for profit portfolio for them, and another line where i'm able to strengthen my skills giving direction to others while staying cohesive

Well fuck that sounds amazing, especially your own stuff. I'm sure this general would help in any way possible if you needed anything

Nice, my jumper made it into the image. Shame I haven't had much time to work on it this week. Going to start neckline shaping this evening for the front piece though so that's alright.

it wouldnt replace the threads, but promote interaction and make it easier to share information with them being more seperated in topics

it was an idea dude chill

made a thing based on a painting i did, not sure if i wanna add more on the front/sleeves.
apologise for the shit lighting

"old op" here again
we already had this discussion, it's not a good idea right now

intern, so I'm the guy with the corduroy, I have a 9' x 5' piece, they said it was 3 yards, do you think I'll have enough for a bomber jacket, assuming I use a different fabric as a liner?

ok so your fabric is 60" wide, but i'm assuming the selvages are 1" each, so you have 58" cuttable
when you use corduroy you have to make sure you cut the fabric across the nap in the same direction, or else your garment ends up looking as if its made of different shades
this might be an issue with your yardage
what size are you going to make?

for reference
a medium mens chest is about 40"
it's a bomber, so you have 2 fronts, 1 back piece, 2 sleeves
1 rib neckline or 2 collars

1 front piece = 11" (Seam allowance included), and the center front to hem length is probably about 26 1/4", 24 1/4" with a 2" rib hem
1 back piece = 21", and the center back to hem length is probably 27 7/8", 25 7/8" with a 2" rib hem
1 sleeve = most likely 17 1/2" wide, and 27" long, 25" if you have a 2" rib cuff

assuming you cut your fabric correctly, and lay out
patterns efficiently

you'll use somewhere between 51" (1.4 yards) and 55" (1.5 yards roughly)

these are rough estimates off generalized numbers, but i'm sure you'll be fine

a better estimate would be to measure
front width= across chest(flat part at bottom of armhole) for each piece
front length= high point shoulder to hem
back width = across chest for each piece
back length = high point shoulder to hem
sleeve width = cap line (flat part of sleeve cap curve, widest part of pattern)
sleeve length = measurement down the center of the sleeve

you take these numbers
draw a graph in inches with the y axis as length of the fabric, and the x axis as the width, and plug in squares as symbols of the pieces with their corresponding measures

this helps you know before purchasing fabric how much you need, i usually buy a 1/4 to 1/2 yd more

it looks shit m8

love it!
what did you use to get the watercolor effect? When i get watercolor on my clothes I can usually wash it out pretty easily, so I'm guessing you didn't use that
also can we see the original painting?

Thanks! The trick is that its painted dye and not watercolours, holds better. ill take a picture of the painting when im back home if i remember

Thanks man, I bought what I thought to be quite a lot because I didn't know how much is need and I thought I might make some mistakes along the way. I also wanted to make cargo pockets for the chest too

>The trick is that its painted dye
how the hell do you paint with dye?

mix it into a liquid then use a paintbrush?

can i get an id on your canvas?
looks nice : )

so I got this shirt from a friend, it had a lot of awful ribbing around the waist, wrists and neck, which contrasted bad with how big it looks on me.
so I cut off the ribbing around the wrists and waists, raised the waist a bit, but i'm wondering what to do with the neck. I tried to tear it a bit, but I'm not satisfied with how the ribbing looks now. I'm thinking of cutting it off too, but seeing how it looks now I think there will be a hole around the neck/chest that I can't imagine will look good. And I don't know how to fix that if it happens.

any ideas
1/2

around neck 2/2

You anons have inspired me to get myself into this hobby, particularly the Marlboro sweater that one user made. I have been watching YouTube videos on stitch types and materials but do any of you have advise on what I should start with? Should I practice by hand first or immediately take the plunge with a cheap sewing machine.

Are there any sewing classes offered where you live?

Not that I know of but I'll look into it.

I have plenty of experiences sewing patches and repairing rips by hand, I have just never tried anything large scale before.

Take a sewing class if you can
Buying used sewing machine isn't too bad, they are cheap and worst case scenario is that you don't like sewing and you can sell machine with few bucks loss

I'm the user that made the Marlboro sweater from the last thread, to be honest I learned the idiot way and just played around with my machine until I got the basics down, taught myself how to set up thread tension, how to not be an idiot when winding a bobbin, and other skills one should really be learning from a YouTube tutorial. Don't be like me. However, I did make some shortcuts along the way? Too lazy to use pins? Staple that shit. Want a perfectly straight seam? Binder clip two yardsticks together so they create a clamp around the seam and a makeshift seam guide.

looks cool
I understand that you don't want to ruin it with a shitty tiger, but it'll look so dope if you can do it right

Previous thread had some talk about it.

i absolutely love the way the Acronym X Nemen jackets look
but i am way, way too poor to afford one

do you think i could replicate the fade design by dying and bleaching a plain white jacket?

i was thinking that if i dyed 2/3 of the jacket green (for example) and then bleached the upper part of the green section to fade it, maybe i could get a nice green-to-white gradient?

whaddya think?

It looks great except for the collar, I'd say your best bet is to cut it off

why not just start with a green jacket and bleach it?

anyways, I finished the outer shell of the corduroy jacket. I'll do the pockets once I get the hardware for them. Still need to do the lining and the batting, but I'm satisfied with the little bit of progress I made today.

well because i only want to try this on ultracheap hoodies at first
and its a lot easier to find cheapo white hoodies than it is green ones

but i guess you have a point

I bleached a green flannel and it came out pretty well

Looks fucking gorgeous you lucky bastard.

the jacket was just one i picked up from a thrift shop, think the brand was lefty or leftie, something like that, unfortunately i cut the tag off of it quite soon after getting it so cant remember too well

Was wondering if I could get some help. Does anyone know the process/what kind of machine or tool I would need to do this (but preferably on looser fabric, like on a shirt or jacket)?

joann.com/nickel-jean-rivets-and-tools-5-16in/12139937.html#q=rivet+tool&start=1
this and a hammer

get a plain white jacket and dip dye it, itll look faded anyway. DO NOT BLEACH IT.

try and get a 100% fibre content jacket, like pure cotton or pure poly, no mixes.

if its a natural fibre use rit dye. if its synthetic use rit dyemore. And theres a colour mixing table on the RIT website.

oh and start with the lighter colour first mate. :)

Hey intern user, I'm planning on making a pair of boro jeans and also a dual coloured (possibly assymetrical denim jacket, I have no access to a sewing machine or any resources whatsoever so I'll have to hand sew everything. I wanted to ask, what's the best way you would suggest to go about this?

I don't study fashion or anything sadly and I have no way to access any machines or something to make the process easier. So I was planning to hand sew these products by learning techniques and how to sew etc. I thought for the jeans I could start with my pair of 511s I rarely wear and build upon that somehow.

jeans and denim jackets with machines are tough, especially with underpowered machines, let alone the wrong needle

i'm reading your post as you making these from scratch
are you just trying to panel it?

I'm still in the inspo gathering stage for the jeans but I was thinking if it would be smart to cut parts out, I'm not sure how panelling would turn out, wouldn't it be too thick? Since in unsure how I could start from scratch with needle and hand lol.

with the jacket I saw a thread where an user had two jackets and stitched halves together or something. I was thinking to do that but maybe go one size up for one of them for the assymetrical look .

pic related for the jacket

pic related is what comes to mind when i hear boro jeans
it can be done by either sewing boro on top of denim, or by cutting pieces of multiple fabrics with the same pattern and creating panels within the shape
boro can be gathered in different weights, so thickness could vary

i do not recommend getting a larger size
you'll end up with an ill fitting jacket since the chest widths, shoulder lengths, and armholes will not match
it'd be best that you get the same size, but adjust one half to be shorter
as an example, in that picture, you'd move the khaki waist and up, while doing your best to maintain the original silhouette

denim might be the worst material to work with by hand
save some money, buy a machine second hand

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

hmm, Maybe my best best would be to. I don't know how much it'll cost though but damn money is the biggest issue for everything so this'll be quite a predicament but thanks man I'll look into it.

I'll probably have to sew on top then as a starter.

Oh damn, thanks for the heads up. ill go for same size ones then, I'll just size up on both size I heard it gets a bit smaller size they'll be halved and restitched, looking forward to try this. Just gotta decide on colours and possibly dyes.

I've really put myself in a hard situation by choosing to work with denim lol. Thanks for the tips though. I'll consider them, May have to consider working in other pieces of clothing if things get too hard.

I want to add that boro is more than a set of techniques (fe: sashiko, check pastebin) or patterning your fabrics a certain way. It's a philosophy (big word) about the longetivity of your clothes. Previous thread has a link to an article about boro, so check that out. While you're still in the inspo fase, you could ask yourself some questions.
Who's going to wear the jacket and the jeans. You? For a couple of years or your whole life? Your grandchildren? Their grandchildren?
What other experiences or interests can I include? Is there room for change?

I'm gonna wear it most likely but I'd love to start making clothes for me or others and kinds get it out there. Just for creativity and for the sake of having fun trying new things.

I've asked around on the board for inspo/articles but i never got linked any boro/patchwork based inspo or articles. I'll give the last thread a check though.

I was thinking of doing sashiko patterning on the finished product or so. Currently I just want to incorporate inspiration from different brands and designers like junya, kapital, visvim, blue blue japan etc. (still searching) and see where I can go from there.

it's a long way to go but I hope it can be something I can hold onto for a long long time

Is your ribbing fisherman's rib? It looks really thick

Just standard 1x1, but using chunky yarn on smaller needles so it looks denser.
I think the angle of that photo kind of exaggerated it a little though. It is chunky, but proportionately so.

Man i love those pants.

I can't find this jacket where can I find a blank one to try and replicate pic

Do theaters have patterns of costumes?

I have low af1s that I want to do something with but I'm not sure what. They are the white ones and I'm getting bored so I came here to ask if anyone has suggestions. Painting, embroidery etc

Doing some boro patches on some F21 jeans, hoping to make the lower leg looser and cuff the bottom so the fit is similar to the lady on the right. I'm not sure if I want to go with an ombre dark to light blue patches with the jeans or just random color placement.

How do I make a shirt look faded, like pic related? Also, does it only work on lighter colors because the shirt I want to do it to is a really light green?

Depends on if you're confident enough to do it with bleach or prefer to do it with the sun. You could also look into salt washing too. theidleman.com/manual/advice/how-to-fade-clothing/

Which one is most likely to give it sort of a spotty look? It's already a pretty light color so I don't want to make it lighter.

These would be sick to paint all over with the intention of it cracking. I'd probably choose an eggshell if those shoes are true white, so the focus was on the cracks themselves not the contrasting colors

Honestly this fit makes the color look perfectly fine if you want to look like a windswept gay Frenchman on a beach. I don't really know what else you could do if you didn't want that look though haha

I have an embroidery machine. Here's some of my last few things

I make patches mostly

Some stuff like this too

Where would I find a pattern for a jacket like this, only using cotton/something thin and not wool? How would I attach a liner, also. I found some old German milsurp camo pants I was thinking of using for shits and giggles if the thickness will affect the pattern a lot.
If I can make my own pattern I have a jacket like this I'd essentially like to clone, but I'm sort of nervous to do it on my own the first time, hence the pattern

Alot of this stuff I'm posting is old and has sold at a local boutique already, but I'm always making new ones

That dragon is sick. How long does it take for the machine to make something as big as that?

Ah sadly the dragon was from a cheap kimono I found at a thrift store. I cut it out and attached it like a patch on the back of this bleach splattered black denim jacket

bleach droplets

no relevant threads and i dont know what to make my own thread out of this, but any idea where i can get some pants that look or fit like this?
anywhere to buy shit like the guy is wearing in general?

Their is a few ways to go about it, but ultimately drafting your own will give you the best copy. The collar would be the hardest part but I think you'll find that it's easier than it looks.
Pic is a basic linen jacket design but will need to be altered in length but might be a good starting point. I used this to make a mesh top in the similar style of the Esklander black shirt

Looks like they're tied at the bottom, i suppose you could go to a fabric store and get some tapestry fabric and make pants with it, then attach strings to the cuffs.

I see you knitters, and also respect you, but are there any crocheters? Everyone I know IRL is a baby afghan grandma or funny hat nerd.

make me something pls

How do you the draft the patterns from that image according to your measurements?
Does it differs a lot from knitting?

this is kinda basic but I like how they turned out. getting tape that will stick to denim is pretty hard thats why the lines kinda bleed through a little. If I do it again I would probably end up doing 3 colors like the ian connor rainbow pants

cool shit. what kinda paint you use?

Which one of you losers bought my crusty old Soviet pants?

basic fabric paint

good stuff, what tape did you use? I figure masking or painters tape might work best, but that might depend on the denim of the jeans. I like the nike blazers too, shame not too many people wear them.

I used painters but there is probably some better tape. I would go with something as sticky as possible(maybe duct tape) since im pretty sure the adhesive wont damage the jeans

also, try ironing the area flat before you tape it to get a perfect line, unless you don't mind it a little wavy

Just a knitter myself I'm afraid. I've got a couple of crochet hooked for picking up stitches but nothing more than that.

It's one needle rather than two, the look of the things created is quite different and it's pretty much a whole different way of making stuff. I'm a fairly competent knitter, but I wouldn't know the first thing about how to crochet something.

hey /DIY/, I am a man on a mission and I need your help

I want to commission a made-to-order patchwork hooded cloak but am having a very difficult time finding the correct person. All my searching on etsy and instagram turned up was medieval cosplay and tacky hippie clothes, which is not at all what I'm going for here. Does anyone know of a skilled seamstress/artist who would be willing to take a project like this?

I drafted by trial and error