Convince me I shouldn't buy 5k worth of gold

convince me I shouldn't buy 5k worth of gold

Don't buy 5k worth of gold.

Invest 5k in IAU gold shares..

Gold prices are currently on the rise, it's not a good time to buy. Wait until Donald Trump has been elected.

wouldn't that cause a stock market crash (going to happen either way really) which would make gold prices rise?

No, Donald Trump would be great for the economy. Republicans are always good for the economy and Trump is even better because he knows how business works.

buy 5k worth of dogecoins

Buy it.

Don't go for the shares. Buy real gold and make sure you have the proper paperwork to prove the authenticity.

I'd go for Krugerrand because they're very easy to trade. Plus they yield more profit if you sell them in SAR.

Thank me later.

in my country Krugerrand's are taxed because they're not pure
are there any pure options?

>stock market crash (going to happen either way really)
Do you kids not understand that since QE was put in place by the Fed the market cannot crash? It's literally artificially propped up and it's going to stay up. The most it can fall is to a level where another round of QE would be put into action and the market would correct right back to current levels within days. Quit being so scared because you were born into a rough economic environment. Our markets are sound and secure.

Go to the jeweler. And make sure he gives you the certificates!

>Republicans always good for the economy
Except bush and the other bush and pretty much all the others also

The only non pure bullion coins that i know of are kruggerand and american eagle. The popular pure ones are canadian maple, american buffaloe and australian kangaroo coins.

I'm Australian so I'll go for the kangaroos

Just don't try any timing bullshit with it and have a plan for government confiscation and it's not an awful idea

It's nice to have an assortment of coins.
If you like the collecting aspect, aussie coins are nice because they changed the designs of their coins each year unlike the others.

I know you're bullshitting, but it's horrifying that most people really do believe this shit.

You can not just paper over (literally) a bad market. You can't just cover your ears and scream "PRINT MORE MONEY" and make everything ok.

I don't even buy coins unless they're AT or below melt value. I hardly ever find them that cheap though, so all I have is a few 2 and 2.5 Pesos.

The rest is just junk gold, 18 to 22k, that I bought for below melt.

I buy silver coins when they're on sale for less than $2 over spot. I have Maple Leafs and Britannias. Also a lot of Sunshine, RMC, and Elemetal silver bars and rounds.

Some 40% Kennedy halves too, but I'm ashamed of those and regret buying them. I guess they're looked down on because of the low silver content, but the 90% U.S "junk" silver has a fuckin ridiculous markup.

British Sovereigns are .925 and sold as bullion

I know but those are kinda rare? Until recently i almost never see shops carrying british coins like britannia or sovereigns.

I guess in the US they might be harder to come across.

I'm in the UK and I could go drive to a jewellers about 15 minutes away and buy a load of them for a fairly reasonable price or order them online and have them here by Friday if I wanted a better deal.
The cash for gold place in town occasionally has them, but they're like £40 more than the jewellers which actually seem to be one of the cheapest places in the UK.

They're popular here because they're (relatively) cheap, a load of them were minted back in the day, and there is no VAT or capital gains tax on them.

I only have one because I'm a silver sort of guy, but I want to get some more in the future and get some older ones. Mine is a 2016 that I bought when the jewellers near me got them in stock.

Also, I just had a look and they're not .925, but 9167

Yeah british coins have small circulation world wide compared to the others.
Since silver coins are cheap, sometimes it's good to pay attention to the designs since there's a lot more pretty silver coins than golds. Still, don't pay more than face value of the coins though.
Pic related, i bought several at face value a couple of years ago. Kept one at my desk because it's cool. I'm pretty sure they're worth more now due to the collector aspect of it.

Gold market hasn't fully corrected. I bought in 2008 pre crash. Sold some in like 2012. Probably won't sell again until we see what happens in the election.

Should I buy some Silver Eagles for 2.19 over spot, guys?

I have a lot of silver, but no Eagles. Maples and Britannias mostly.

Buy the objectively superior gold.

Then just short the market directly. You'll make a lot more money in the long run.

The premiums on precious metals are ridiculous.

Remember The entrance and Exit are important parts of an investment.

silver is around $15 an ounce right now.
This idiot is wanting to pay 14% premium to enter. With no idea what the exit discount is going to be. But assuming its even half the current premium 21% minimum load is a steep fucking price.
You're likely the one getting screwed.

Krugerands are one of the worst investment vehicles as far as yield.

best deal is garage saleing and buying all the old gold and silve and jewels they want to sell you for 15-20% below spot and shipping it to a mint. They give you back pure metal or cash for usually 3% premium