Uber/Lyft

Has anybody ever driven for Uber or Lyft? I've gone a bit too long in between jobs and I need some quick cash before I find my next real job. This seems like an easy way to make some money, and my car gets about 30 mpg, so expenses shouldn't be too bad.

If you did it and made money, how did you succeed? For example, driving around near downtown areas? Doing most of your driving at night? In the day?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mT08yzbC-s8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Be careful about the insurance thing, my Geico policy renewed today and in the "things that are changing" page they added verbiage relating to things like Uber Lyft, etc.... not being covered in case of a claim.

In the beginning and towards the middle it may have been worth doing but now its just not in my opinion. Uber drivers are like employees but are also kind of not so you get the shit end of everything.

I figure that I'll probably need to modify my insurance policy, but does anyone know if it's that much more than the normal one? What kind of cost increase are we talking about?

Bump?

Anybody?

Seriously?

It's very expensive to change your personal vehicle insurance to commercial insurance.

I deliver pizza on the weekends and when I checked about 2 years ago, it was just unreal, this is in Ontario tho. I know cabs pay something like $400 a month. It may be worth it only if you put a lot of time on the road.

What I would do is just get a cab license which is relatively easy to find, and work as a driver on someones car. You pay the weekly cost to the owner but you don't have to worry about maintenance or insurance.

tl;dr dont uber, get a cab driver license and work under someone.

After a little searching around, I think this is going to depend on the state I'm in and my insurance provider. It seems that Uber and Lyft provide their own liability insurance while the app is on, but still, I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences driving for one of these services.

Uber won't pay your bills if you crash, they'll fix the persons car that you hit. If the customer was injured, good luck not getting sued...

And you know this because......?

You already suggested in that you don't drive for Uber.

Clearly you really wanna do this so stop asking for validation...
Uber drivers are classified as independent contractors, do your own research and see what their coverage actually means when you work for them. Oh and read the damn news.

Well thanks for the bump anyway.

I looked into Uber when I was desperate for work.

Uber USED to be decent about a year ago and before. The pay was fair you could make $100 - $150 in a days work, and maybe a little more if it was a busy night and people tipped.

But Uber slashed their pay rates about 6 months ago. The pay is shit now. So you can't turn it into a full time job by any means.

But it's decent for Friday and Saturdays in a busy city, you could still make $100 in a day.

As for the insurance, don't tell em. If shit goes down, just have the uber passenger fuck off, and tell people you were just driving around.

These guys are right. Driving for Uber is a seriously shit decision. Your job involes constant risk of injury, death, and crippling lawsuit while you drive one of your largest asset's value into the ground and in return you get a little above minimum wage. These things considered, it's probably worse for you than working at McDonalds

So drivers don't have to provide any proof if insurance to Uber when they sign up? If a customer gets injured in a crash, is Uber then responsible for covering their medical bills?

If is correct then most Uber/Lyft drivers likely don't have the proper level of insurance since it would be cost prohibitive.

I did lyft for a while , did 10pm- 3am Thursday and a 10pm - 4 am Friday/ Sat

as gas goes ive probably gone thru about 7 gallons in 11 hours made $270 after lyft cut and that was mostly just sitting in my car listening to radio waiting for rides. Like seriously 8 hours of just hanging out playing candy crush and learning russian while just waiting for a ride to go to.

Needed to get uber too to flip on and off between the two to get more rides. Might be more viable doing both so less downtime. But either way lyft is great in big cities, lots of riders switching from uber to lyft because its capped at 2x instead of uber which can go above.

If you dont have a job, its worth it just to get some money in your pocket and you set your own hours which is nice. So if you want money and want to work random times its perfect.

Lyft has alot of bonuses too, especially when signing up or just having your drive mode on. After liek 30 hours they give you a bonus 10% after 50 hours its +20%.

Ive realized i can just keep it on in my room waiting for local rides and going when it dings. That way i can be at home racking up hours for bonuses while chilling and doing w.e.

If you signup for LYFT use this code '"SCOTT425781", and you get a $350 bonus after 100 rides in your first month. Or use it when signing up for lyft and get like 10 free rides.

Happy Driving!

youtu.be/mT08yzbC-s8

Sorry but I can't give you much of an advice user. Here where I live people still can make a decent living of Uber/Lyft like, but from what I hear from my drivers the service is deteriorating fast. They say they make more money next to business centers and during weekend. If you don't plan to stay on it for the long run it might be worth taking a look.

lol @ the desperate Taxi Union drivers trying to badmouth Uber and Lyft on a Burmese midget dating forum.

Can't wait for the day self driving cars make your useless waste of a life even more irrelevant on this earth.

If your in a city ig is, my sister does and makes a good amount on the side

>A business model based completely on circumventing local legislation and regulation
>A viable company that one should be part of
Pick one.

I don't even have a horse in this race and it's very clear that all Uber has to offer is a nice little phone application.

remember that the insurance will be a business tax deductible

How long can Uber seriously keep this shit up?

They reduced their rates and have a strict no tipping policy.

You're now required to have commercial car insurance, which is expensive and defeats the whole point of doing Uber instead of just driving a cab

They've already established a precedent that if anything bad happens, even if it's not your fault, you're on your own because "lol independent contractor"

They will also ban you if you drop below a 4 star review, which means that you're fucked when Jamal and Tyrone want to shit you out of your money, assuming you were stupid enough to pick up dindus to begin with.

The ironic thing is that the taxi business lobbied for those regulations specifically to push out competition

statist cuck

>Requiring insurance, background checks, and drug tests for people that carry lives in their hands makes me a statist
Man, I have overregulation as much as the next guy, but Uber is shady as fuck.

and yet it is far more cheaper, enjoyable and efficient than regulated taxis. You just cant handle the free market at work