Anyone else going to University of Meme in Ann Arbor? I couldn't get into the Ivy League

Anyone else going to University of Meme in Ann Arbor? I couldn't get into the Ivy League.

Should I be a business major? Where it's easier, the starting salary is lower? Like $80k. But I'll at least get to actually have fun in college.

Or major in Computer Science where I'll be a code monkey but the average salary is $91k starting.

michiganross.umich.edu/programs/bba/careers

career.engin.umich.edu/annualreport/

>le have fun in college meme
Sure. Go ahead and waste thousands of dollars taking joke classes so you can "have fun" and fuck a bunch of sluts.

I fucked up even harder and am stuck attending local unis in metro detroit

Average entry pay from ou/wayne is 32 grand. Whatever, ill scrub dicks for two years extra.

You're going to love being a Spartan!

tfw got denied

80k starting for a business major? What decade are you in? Majoring in business its a turds length better than liberal arts

The link below says so for Investment banking

See having fun is all fun and games until you realized you learned nothing and are up against better candidates competing for similar jobs. Just remember theirs a reason why they are constantly hiring at investment banks.

>2016
>Not going to college.

I hope you enjoy flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Implying that you need college to be successful. The person decides if their successful or not.

Tell that to everybody in the unemployment line who are on foodstamps

>$91k starting
I started as a SW engineer last year at a pretty good company in the area for 60k, and this was after job shopping for 6-7 months. Most contract app dev type places were offering 40-50, and God help you if you end up in web dev or IT.

The post seemed to imply college wasnt there to have fun in

And i agree
College is hell

idk, link says so

It looks like they cherry picked data from students who moved to the east and west coasts. I find it hard to believe more than half of their students move out of state.

Fuck Michigan.

45% of their students are from out-of-state. Not unrealistic that many instate kids didn't want to stay in the shitty state of Michigan.

Plus 91k isn't even that high for a CS grad. I know a few who went to University Illinois in Urbana and started out at 100k+ on the West Coast. Their apartment rent costs over 1000 per month though since SF inflates everything

Urbana is a top tier school bro

its easier to get into there than U of Meme. Their average act/sat is lower and their acceptance rate is higher.

Still top tier, and I think Urbana is better regarded than Mich when it comes to CS, if anyone here interested.

Someone come visit me in Wisconsin Madison. (also fuck Michigan, obligatory).

You mean the ones who graduated with shit degrees?

Literally nothing in business is 80k starting except sales but you need to be a wonderkind to do 80k first year. Just lowering your expectations not being a jerk.

Business is a pretty useless undergrad these days. I would say 100% go comp sci and minor in finance. If you still want to be le ebin wallstreet investmant banker apply to ivy business schools to get your master's. If you can't get into any give up on that dream and start your decent life as a programmer.

You can make $80k plus in business IF you are the top of your class at a prestigious school where top banks recruit for investment banking. But then you have to work 100 hours a week and move to New York where $80k isn't going to get you too far.

If you consider the signing bonus and stock, then I'm 80k starting in Finance. Corporate finance too, not even investing

Do business OP. I don't know what your ambitions are, but it sounds like you don't want to do software engineering. I don't really blame you, I'm majoring in cs right now and I wish I had heard about businees sooner.

Depending on what you want to get into you might want to double major if you can handle it. Otherwise just join business-oriented clubs as early as possible and build your network.

its funny how entitled many college students feel because of the university they attended and whatever mean statistics they googled. Get relevant work experience or no employer will value you anymore than other candidates.

this

fuck michigan

Average ACT for the CS department is like 34-35 these days.

I know kids w/ 34-36s that got denied (usually b/c not good enough GPA). We have a ~12% acceptance rate right now for CS applicants.

Starting in fall, EE/CS. Go Blue, no matter what this board thinks.

A lot of UM is out of state students, and the vast majority come from pretty high-income families who presumably are more mobile than lower-income ones.

CS is about the only area in which UIUC is higher tier than UM. Michigan as a whole is a far more respected university, and it's actually got money to operate unlike broke as hell Illinois.

This is true, but you're lying to yourself if you don't think some unis have far better connections with industry than others.

>$1000 per month
>SF Rent

Where'd they find such a good deal? Isn't the meme like $3k?

>I need to live in a giant McMansion
>hurrdurr what are roommates

You can get a room in a less-hip area for that much, but yeah, nobody's getting an apartment in the Mission for $1k.

I had a 34 and was denied, I knew kids that had lower and got in.

HS grades are more important than you would think.

I don't understand this, if the Comp sci department doesn't like you do they bar your from taking comp sci courses and majoring in it?

At my uni, once you get accepted you can study whatever the fuck you want.

It's pretty common for competitive majors. For example at Berkeley EECS is in the Engineering College, and you basically can't switch to it. There is a CS degree through the College of Letters and Science but you get lower priority.

It varies by school what their policies are. At some, probably most, they don't really give a fuck and will let you take whatever you want.

It's more important though for the most popular majors, especially at the top universities for those majors. For example at Illinois Urbana-Champaign, CS has far stricter requirements than the rest of the university simply because they have a shitload of applicants for their highly ranked CS program. If they let people take the classes anyway, you'd have tons of competitive applicants pretend to give a shit about other less-competitive majors and just switch to CS, fucking over the other departments in the process. You can transfer into CS from another major, but it's pretty hard from what I hear.

Granted I don't think somewhere as selective as Berkeley needs to worry about that since it's pretty selective across the whole university, but according to they still do, probably just because they want to keep the balance of the university. Also they prioritize the major track students over everyone else since they actually need to graduate.

>he thinks you need to go to college to make a living

enjoy being brainwashed

>He thinks he can go far in an advanced field without a college degree

Kekkers, you might not be at McD's but let's be real, you do close the door on yourself in a lot of industries if you skip college. If you don't want to go into those industries whatever, don't waste your time, but if what you want to do requires a degree it's no waste of money (as long as debt repayment doesn't put you at poverty-tier for a decade)

we are agreeing so idk why you replied desu.

Nothing in your post indicates that, newfriend.

>make
>a
>living

>ID: 911/uMad
Are you a mod?

no but its hilarious i wonder what the mathematical likelihood is of me having that ID

prob 1 in a mil

The probability is a bit lower than that (pick 8 characters from ~95 in any combination...)