Preserved for future Veeky Forumstorians

post screen-caps of posts by Veeky Forumstorians that you felt were high enough quality to be saved and shared.

Lets start a tradition of passing down our accumulated knowledge from one generation to the next, lads

Pic related: the most clear and concise description of the Jugurthine War that I've ever read. A must read for aficionados of Roman history.

>incoherent gibberish that rivals the bullshit levels of Lacan and Derrida in lack of substance
>high quality post

Pick one

It's a high quality post that shows just how shit Veeky Forums is.

It's Tumblr-tier. The Trinity cannot be summed up in Veeky Forums posts.

You're just a low-quality thinker.

>God is not constrained by your feeble notions of 'making sense'

That's some brilliant 'thoughts' you got there

Well theres already things i could disagree with in that image

Go on.

The property requirements had essentially been abolished before the reforms of Marius, with the state providing the equipment for quite a while. Marius basically just made it official.

>somebody capped your posts and made this image
I'm honored.

You are right to a point, and I didn't know this before, but the state didn't really fully "provide" the equipment. They ordered and bought it, sure, and made it available, but they also charged every man they impressed or recruited with a fee for its use, which the men would then hope to gain through loot.

Marius was different in that he forced the Treasury to pay for the arms and armor without expectation of payment, and planned that the discharged men should keep that equipment and earn a grant of land besides, to farm and have Roman families, bringing Rome to the provinces.

>picture named the jugurthine war
>barely about Jugurtha and his war

Please post your philosophy of religion elsewhere.

The topic of conversation is not "post your favorite philosophy of religion". The topic is "post things that you felt were good enough to save"
If you have some kind of effective rebuttal, please post it

Quick question that I don't feel deserves its own thread

Did Lictors actually use their fasces to bash peeps or are they purely ceremonial?

>I'm honored.
I was glad to do it. It was such a good post that future Veeky Forumstorians deserved to read it

Almost certainly ceremonial. They were maybe used during some of the mob violence during the late Republic, because even though lictors within the Pomerium were not allowed to bind axes within their fasces, all sorts of rules were broken during that period. In the provinces I imagine a magistrate's lictors carried their own swords as well, and used these if any trouble came about or they were ordered to execute somebody.