/DIY/

Do it yourself/ re-purposing general

"circlejerk, but in a good way" edition

Anything about making your own clothes, customizing and/or tailoring goes here. Talk about your projects. Ask Questions. Share information. Help each other out.

PASTEBIN:
pastebin.com/hnXtzTk7
(if you think the pastebin lacks any information, just ask)
Japanese magazines, just in case you need them
pastebin.com/Q2iDYiAM

last thread:

I'm liking these collage images. Nice job

my jacket made it to the 2nd collage, alright!
anyways, got the sleeves attached to the body, seems like the hardest parts are all done. It's only a matter of time.

Does anyone have the guide to the dyed flectarn parka?

Never tried it on fleck before, but I've had success using "rit dye" on cordura and similar thick nylon fiber materials. It's gonna oversaturate tho, so don't expect the splotches to be as defined as the original

Pick for reference

How do I get loved ones to stop pin rolling their pants? I'm afraid I'll hurt their feelings

Is acrylic paint good enough to paint on black cowhide-leather? I got a biker jacket for 10€ and since I already have one in the same style, I'd love to paint Discharge's artwork for "Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing" on the back. I already have some basic acrylic paint on hold, would that be enough?

Acrylic paint will crack after a while. If that's the look you want, then it'll work fine. Otherwise, they make paints specifically for clothes and leather. I would recommend getting some of that for a long lasting paint job.

my bleach flannel made it into the collage :)

Might DIY some plain white levis denim I got for cheap at Marshalls, maybe some shoes, something. I'll keep y'all updated

Made a thread but they told me to come and post in DiY. Can you guys give me more critiques. I'm still learning

Do these types of paints cost alot? I know I'm talking about only painting a single thing here, but I don't wanna splurge too heavily.

pro tip draw what you want instead of actually making it. its harder for people to understand what you want when you present it this way

>

The threads are speeding up now.
Have you checked the pastebin?

Speaking of the pastebin
>[serger optional?]
>Is it necessary to own a serger?
In the beginning a serger isn't necessary. You can practice different seam finishes to hide raw edges or use the zigzag if your machine has that function. A serger is only necessary if you're going to work with knits, in which case you should get one with a coverstitch features. It's yet another investment, so wait until you have finished some projects. It has it's advantages. The finishing on the edges look better and you sew faster with this machine. Regard the machine as an addition, not as a replacement.

What fabrics fall under knits? What are other minimal requirements of a serger? Any spelling errors?

Are you serious ?
Get parka
Get dye
Do what dye says

Isn't dyed flektarn a dead meme anyway, I've started seeing people wearing milsurp jackets out and about

I used dylon. I put half the pack in for a short wash and then the other half in for an extra long wash but that was just to make sure it didn't go pitch black. I would say just put it all in in one go though

Picrel

It looks dark green in day light and black at dusk quite nice how it changes throughout the day

Thinking of using deep learning to create some graphics and then print on t-shirts.
Maybe use a Generative adversarial network aka GAN to generate some pics and then print them.
Or take some mid and lower level filters of a conv net, that's a bit more boring tho.
Anyone familiar with deep learning here?

Btw, what are some good t-shirts to print on, or what is a good website for printing?

if you're going to order online, you'll usually get gildan, fruit of the loom, or hanes.

if you're going to bring shirts into a print shop, you can buy some better quality ones online. Bella + Canvas has good quality tees made in america if you care about country of origin.

gildan is probably just fine, ASSC and even kanye /every performer print on gildan

trying to buy my own heat press, anyone do their own transfer printing at home and can give me a few ideas of what printers to buy etc?

not nearly as indepth as you but i wanted to print some cfd graphics on shirts.would probably look really cool on the back of a black shirt or something

my man, you can get a bottle of acrylic paint at beverly's for 90 cents

do it. that'll look fantastic

thanks!

Meant to post this in /fbg/, sorry friends

Lemayo I live in fucking Finland a small canister of acrylic paint costs 5€ here

wow, I didn't know finland was that expensive

acrylic will work, but only get expensive oil based paint in the tube kind, do it in layers and get a nice brush
the more you spend on paint the better it will turn out

That is fucking disgusting, holy shit

How Can I make my jeans pants be a short?

Cut them shits. Raw hems are the only way to go for jean shorts

best voivod album

Anyone tried waxing, or painting denim to make it look like Rick Owens? How do they stack up?

I'm gonna try this later on today with some of my older jeans.

ive painted denim with acrylic and it turns out like oiled or waxed looking leather

>oiled or waxed looking leather
have you seen leather? that looks like waxed cotton

It also tends to crack.

Idk why those black Bloc idiots don't paint their clothes more often.

Pretty similar to milspec IR detection resistance standards

Prevents micro-particle -> propellant based tear gas from setting in their clothing

That and you can paint your blood type/nkda on their pants

But then again they're libtards and all they know is punk clothing

And are doing shit like putting drywall resprators and bandannas soaked in vinegar rather than you know...use science

Just bleached a navy overshirt since theres a faded patch on it (cotton-linen mix). Now its red, which I don't mind as much but the stitchings sinthetic and stayed blue.

Gonna try overdying, either gray or black. Any other options/thoughts?

How to remove a rubbery vinyl print form a polyester sports shirt?

Got one from a company event, the shirt is nice, but i dont want to be a walking advertising board.

Would be easy with cotton because you can abuse the fuck out of it, but im not sure about polyester

I personally like the cracking, it gives it a nice worn in and broke In look. I do it only for aesthetics. I'm not into antifa or politics, they give punk and diy a bad name

Angelus leather paint with one of their acrylic finishers will do.

Sieg, please don't ruin the sole positive thread on this board with your toxic personality.

Has anyone here heard of STORY mfg? In their latest production journal 'Embroidery at the nunnery' they write:

>I'm not always sure what people mean when they say 'hand made'. I was talking to someone recently who said their clothing was all hand-made, because it was guided by hand through a sewing machine - which would make almost all clothing in the entire world 'hand-made'. To me, at least, saying clothing is 'hand' -something is to say it's made by hand in the most basic way possible, where the gesture of the hand is evident in the work left behind. Our hand-spun garments are made from cotton turned into yarn by hand creating an uneven texture. Our hand-woven garments reflect every hand movement including all the little pauses where say a cup of tea was taken on a break. Our hand-dyed garments all have an ever-so slightly different shade, the colour judged by eye and touch. You get the idea.

That got me thinking. I buy my fabrics at the local sewing store, but I don't have any control over them. It's always a question whether the store has the fabrics I want for my project. Does it feel nice on the skin? Is it the right colour? I don't know where the fabrics come from. Under what working conditions were these fabrics made? Sure, I can use bleach, dylon or natural dyes to change colour, but there’s always a hassle with the composition of the fabrics. God forbid it’s synthetic. How can I, who doesn’t own a company, spin and weave my own fabrics? I figured I could send them an email about this.

In addition, they participated at Care-tags and I see comments on this board saying that Instagram is the death of internet fashion fora, so I could ask them what they think of the role of internet fashion fora today. Also, I’d like to know how they managed to stay afloat for three years. Any questions I should change or add?

God damn I love that flannel, how did you do it? I tried to bleach a jumper but it didn't work very well

handmade is a tricky thing to classify, as most people use sewing machines to complete one or more parts of their projects. Although I'd say if you're making a shirt or pants, you'd generally be better off making them with a machine as you get consistent stitch size and tension. Leather goods can be made by hand with a high degree of accuracy though. You can also take into account that some companies use lexan sheets instead of patterns to cut and sew/serge parts of garments in mass production.

anyways, i thought I'd drop by and give you guys a few updates, the corduroy jacket is almost finished, with just the main zipper, lining, waistband, and collar left. It's been quite the journey and somewhat of a trial by fire, but I'm glad to see it's nearing completion. I've also got some leather goods planned, and possibly a sleeve swap for an older jacket I customized as ideas for later.

It might not look like the Rick Owen pants, but it still looks awesome anyway. I'll go test it on some old jeans like this guy

How do I recreate this type of distressing? It looks like just straight stitches over top of some distressing?

minor update on the left. not 100% sure ill keep the letters on it but I think its kinda cool

something else is under(look at the inside) it but yes it looks just like a straight stitch over everything

It seems a bit too shiny but I'll try less gloss on V2 when I do a new pair

On legs

kinda surprised how shiny it makes the denim

I wonder what happens when you wash it?

I used a lot of hi gloss acrylic coating next time I'll go gloss paint with matte gloss to kind of tone it down.

This is what I used

That's pretty amazing. In the second picture they almost look like an oil painting. After this you probably could make them look like real leather.

How do they feel? stiff and cracking?

I'm wondering what would happen if you paint them and then put them into the oven so the paint melts right down into the fabric like wax.

A little stiff but no cracks yet they havent fully dried yet so I'll post more tomorrow to see how they really turn out

looks like patches of denim underneath the holes ight i see. the straight stitches hold that patch underneath too?

look up sashiko

If you dont mind me asking what materials did you use?

Matte black Windsor and Newton acrylic paint (mars black)

almost done. needs fabric lining and the waistband, then my first scratch project will be complete. the fit is a little weird and the collar is much too wide, but I'm happy with it anyways.

Why does it fit weird? Can't you alter the collar?

the fit somehow manages to be baggy in the back yet tight in the front when zipped, but if I take the back panel in, it's going to look odd when the zipper's open. And the collar hole I cut was too large, so unfortunately it looks a little strange. While I could re-do the collar, I'd need to re-order elastic which took almost two weeks to ship last time I ordered. Although with the collar so large, it's got a sort of lunar look to it, like I could wear an aircraft or motorcycle helmet and the collar would line it perfectly.

Looks great, I bet they'll look even better worn in a bit

Posting the finished product I hope it will start to look better as they get more beat up.

they look real nice user!

also love the boots, w2c?

Thinking of painting (acrylics) something onto the back of a casual black blazer, what should I paint?

you look like you came out of the game dishonored LOL

Aren't those the Austrian paratooper boots from K store?

How did you lace them so perfectly?

Those pants are the gayest thing I have ever seen.

Do not wear those in public goy
Everyone will laugh

You look like a homosexual

Throw them away or sell them to a gullible homosexual on ebay

Pretty cool stuff.

Kek am I supposed to care? Anyway no (you)s for you.

You must have not been on Veeky Forums for long because I've seen gayer shit I wish I could unsee.

This

Its okay goy
Wear those faggoty pants in public
everyone will be laughing at you
I guarantee it
Those pants are worse than juggalos

Why is this guy so mad about your pants?

Idk maybe because they are homosexual

No idea. Fishing for yous I guess.

why don't you tell us what the fuck we are looking at first.

Maybe in Belarus, but Belarus is a shithole.

I'm familiar with various machine learning concepts, game theory, and graph theory.
>An idea:
You should come up with a message, binary (or m-ary) encode it into a carrier frequency (picture the sinusoid it makes in the time domain), bury it in white noise, then implement an algorithm to find the signal in the noise, maybe a deep Q-learner where you can show the noised signal on top and then graphically show the 0th, 10th, 100th, 1000th iteration of the learner.

would I be a culture vulture if I painted a Japanese ukiyo-e style dragon on a pair of black jeans? I'm a femanon and quite obviously a half jap (slanty eyes and vv short)

Who the fuck taped that box you're standing next to?
TRIGGERED

Austrian paratrooper (meme) boots, eBay milsurp websites
Kinda in agreeance with him, they do look a bit gay fetishy, try washing the fuck out of then or some sand paper to get rid of the shine, I do like the texture though, maybe go with a matt paint next time ?

can't steal whats yours user

okay neat, I'll go for it then. If it turns out nice I'll post it

Its Its my tv I recently moved and havent had time to take it out of the box.

should I wear the pants while I paint them or no?

Kinda hard to paint while wearing the pants besides painting from your point of view could be a detriment

okay thanks

roll up a newspaper or a piece of cardboard if you want to have a curved surface to paint on.

I have come into possesion of this kimono somehow and i'm 100% chinese so i'm not sure what can be done to make this wearable or if it's offensive of me to wear this kimono?? It would be a shame to cut it but maybe i could alter it somehow so i could wear it as some boho hippy thing? Any ideas?

So I sanded them down so that it wasnt as harsh as far as far as shinieness goes.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but can you dye sympatex?

Check the material the coat is made if its anything man made then not unless you get a specific kind of die if it has a high concentration of cotton then it should work. I dont know what sympatex is though.

where do you live user? If you're in the US, a kimono will look strange, but not offensive given that you're asian and most people in the US have trouble discerning between chinese and japanese people. you could cut it up and make sleeves out of it and do a sleeve swap on a hoodie or jacket or something like that. maybe make a skirt?

I live in the us specifically west coast cali

That's what i thought, since most ppl cant discern and many think i am japanese anyway since i look it. Ehh you know what, it may look strange but i am pretty sure i could rock it going grocery shopping at sprouts . I also have a qipao/cheongsam so i guess i added to my collection of ethnic dress. I will think about your suggestions, they all sound good

I'd just shorten it ans wear it open

How to distress hat? I just want to washout the color so it looks old but I think bleach would fuck it up. Any ideas

did you use acrylic paint?

I just bought a porter/undercover wallet but I really don't want to use it's obnoxious Velcro closures. I was thinking of removing the Velcro strip entirely, but this is a rare collab item and id rather keep it intact. What options do I have for covering the velcro while still keeping the function of the flap? My only other idea would be to cover maybe half of the strip with an unused Velcro, but there's got to be a better way.