Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums

I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do with my life lately.

Currently, I'm a student working towards a Business Administration degree. I was at a private university for a time and then my mother died, so I decided to go to a community college to get closer to home.

I have no passion for this subject at the moment. Eventually, I know I will start my own business. I have years of personal programming experience and I know my way around desktop and app development to a T... but I don't care about any of it, currently.

For the past year since my mom died I've essentially tried to socially isolate myself and I've basically made my life as easy as possible. I take all online classes (which are ridiculously easy and require minimal effort, at least for me) and CLEP exams (basically study for 5 hours and then go and take a test for 3 college credits) which placates my dad. I used to have lots of friends and was a pretty decently outgoing guy (although I have had social problems since I was a youngster, I used to be obese but I'm quite fit now). I don't really care about much these days, I spend my time locked up in my room either reading huge fiction books or making some low amounts of money through various online means as well (I have around $2k saved up).

So I'm thinking about joining EMS. I want something that would challenge me and get me out of this rut, and I want to see what it's like to make a long term commitment (I would join and participate for at least 1-2 years). It wouldn't be anything permanent, but I want stories to tell and "field experience" if you know what I mean... I don't know. I really feel like it'd build up my confidence if I could force myself to do (and I don't want to do it, I'm afraid to do it, I get anxiety when I think about actually going through the motions to do it).

So what do you guys think, should I do it? Maybe other suggestions? Thanks.

Alternately, why not become an MD?

I don't want to become a doctor, personally... Not enough freedom. I value my freedom. The end goal has always been to become an entrepreneur. I want to limit the amount of people that have control over my life, which means no (direct) bosses.

I could deal with a teaching 2 year stint as an EMT, though.

You know that private practice is a thing right?

Yeah, I realize that.

Honestly, though, I have always had this goal:

- Earn enough money to become completely independent.

- Use that money to build a legacy of some kind (if the method I used to build that money wasn't a legacy in and of itself, i.e. some kind of long-lasting business).

- Eventually, I'm going to write. I don't have this stage fledged out yet, but eventually I will be an author. It may be in the very, very late stages of my life.

Bump,

would appreciate some input, esp. if you've ever been in this/a related field.

EMT sounds like a great idea for you. My brother did it before going to med school. Other poster doesn't realize you essentially sign your life way when you become a doctor, especially with a private practice because you actually have to earn your money.

EMS is full of obese underachievers we don't need anymore. However if you feel you need to boost your self esteem with a job which gets you in the first response system then by all means. Just remember it's not all sunglasses and fast food. Mostly its long hours with low pay. Being on scene with cops and firefighters but not really being part of that club. You will be trained well but nobody really gives a shit about you. Enjoy life of the self important. Enjoy being a Paramedic it is fun.. do want you want... But know this, your time would be much better off doing something which leads to a career.

Oh yeah I almost forgot... Do you have any nudes of your mom?

I don't want a "career", I don't want to be another typical zombified wageslave. The thought sickens me. Maybe you can be happy as another random loser, but I can't. Even in this state of low-drive, my plans for my life are greater than that (inb4 "you're delusional").

Also, I don't know if it was just a part of your masquerade of insults or not, but while I am currently a shut-in, I'm definitely not obese... I actually have a six-pack and do a weighted calisthenics routine at least 4 times a week. Pull-ups and dips are godly.

But yeah.

Thanks for the input, do you know if your brother enjoyed it very much or not?

Bumpers.

Having been a Firefighter/EMT for years in the past, I'd recommend against it. You have no real mobility. Yes you could go from EMT to AEMT to Paramedic, but the compensation still blows compared to nursing.

A 2-year RN will make more than a Paramedic right out of the gate. LPN is a 1 year program that you can eventually use credits toward RN.

However, with you going for a biz degree, why not split the difference? Certified Medical Assistant has both business and clinical duties, without the degrading work that you find with nursing (though they get better pay).

MAs can run an office, do medical billing/coding, and also will have their certs. for phlebotomy, EKG technican, vitals, etc. You get to work in a Dr.'s office or hospital and make $15-16 bucks an hour without destroying your back and knees in EMS. Also, most programs are only 6 months or so, and whenever you decide to be an overachiever you can get your associates and call it a day.

I'm not really in it for the money... I could earn $20+ with online/passive methods if I really wanted.

I'm looking for something that will give meaning to my life. I don't see being an MA doing that. :/

Maybe try becoming a zombie wagesalve for a while and see how shitty it is. Maybe that will motivate you

How can you make $20/h online? I have to leave home to do that

No, no, no.
I was an EMT in college. It was a good experience, but not a career. (USA)

Then I spent 2 years and $10,000 to become a Paramedic and make $16/hr.

>Mfw I peaked at 23 and the best I could hope for was to be a supervisor and make $17.

Nurses have the same edu, half the responsibility and work, and twice the pay.

Parley your EMT experience into sales or something.

You won't make any money in EMS.

You need to be cross trained as a fire fighter if you expect to make a living doing it.

I would also advise being a cop, but you will probably hate life.

In the mean time, do some ride alongs with your local authorities (do all of them, police, fire, EMS) BEFORE you invest time and money into a field you may not like.

Basically this, but not all EMTs/Paramedics are underachievers. Most are dedicated to it but there are some fucking weirdos too.

So if you're not in it for the money then join the military

> obtain a work skill with a good MOS
> obtain preference in hiring processes because you are a veteran
> obtain the meaning of life that you seek

but don't just be an EMT just to be an EMT, you need to do something with it otherwise its a waste of time

I bow to the boards wisdom - perhaps I was a bit harsh on EMS. I fucked a lot of nurses in the back of my rig as a paramedic. Pay absolutely sucks - I mean you might as well clean toilets.

Oh yeah sorry bout the nude photos of your mom thing - I was soooo high last night.

EMS is only worth it if you're training to be an MD, DO, or PA. The pay is shit and most of the time you'll be transporting patients for dialysis.

I'm assuming you're not even 20 since you care about image. Trust me anything below being a doctor is beta af. Doctors get tons of freedom after their residency (trust me I know this because I just finished by boards in M2) and EMTs are just slaves of the system.

> Trust me anything below being a doctor is beta af.

I worked with of plenty of nurse managers, case managers, PAs, ARNPs, who were alpha, but yes they essentially they all report to a doc.

EMT-B, CNA, LPN, and even RN are someone else's bitch guaranteed.

Respiratory therapists were always always always chill as fuck

Respiratory therapist chill as fuck? Ha... Most common question. Sir can you cough up a sample for me?

Not saying it isn't bullshit I'm just saying a lot of the other professions can be pretty high strung

>Oh yeah sorry bout the nude photos of your mom thing - I was soooo high last night.

good lord

As an EMT currently going to school for nursing my advice to you is try volunteering first. Most agencies will reinburse your class costs if you do well enough. Volunteering will give you a taste to an extent, without the burnout that eventually happens.

EMS is good for spurts. Maybe a 24 hour shift a week. Or a part-time fun job. Career wise as mentioned before not a lot of mobility. Some Paramedic to RN bridge programs do exist, but not much else to do once you have your medic. Maybe flight crew, or Firefighter combo.

I'm still pretty young, and been in EMS for about 5 years. Volunteered for about 2. And work as a paid EMT for a provate company for the other 3. It's long hours. Bologna calls for headaches, stubbed toes, non chronic back pain, and other bogus stuff.

But, when you get the peds patient choking, imminent birth, or MI patient back. It's a cool feeling. Those a very far, and few inbetween though. As far cops, and fire they'll be your new family if in a smaller area. You'll have their back, and vice versa. In a dense city its hard to say.

EMS is not recommended to be a career though. I advise against that.