What's a Veeky Forums approved watch? I'm shopping around for one and the only ones I like are 30k+ usd...

What's a Veeky Forums approved watch? I'm shopping around for one and the only ones I like are 30k+ usd. Not 'quite' my budget.

requirements:
- manly
- not too large
- tasteful
- not too snobby looking
- quality
- not ultraexpensive

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Seiko-SUN041-Stainless-Steel-Watch/dp/B00RZCX4W2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
amazon.com/Casio-F91W-Digital-Sports-Watch/dp/B01AV5P008/
1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/signet-rings/medieval-byzantine-garnet-gold-mens-signet-ring/id-j_721882/?utm_content=control&gclid=CP-EpJeQ8cwCFZE0aQodhn0NTg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like Armani Exchange

Personally, I'm of the mind that watches are expensive status symbols used by douchelords, though I understand there are some professions that require you to present that image.

Having said that, I like Movado.

Some of Tissot's budget lines (like the PRS 516, which I wear pretty often) get the job done. Casual enough for daily wear, nice enough to not look out of place with a suit, fine watch overall.

If $350 is still "ultraexpensive" then maybe you could go for a Skagen. They're all extremely slim, which is nice, pretty low budget (sub $200), and have very minimalist designs that will impress a lot of people who aren't really into watches. Some watch purists might not approve, though, since the brand has little history and they're not the highest quality out there.

If you need cheaper than that, it's time to start looking at Vostok. You can get a decent Vostok with an automatic movement for ~$60-$80 on ebay.

Omega Speedmaster, the first watch worn on the moon and the only watch approved for space walks. Honestly you can't find another luxury watch for that price with such an awesome history behind it.

Based

When I see a person wearing a watch I immediately know I'm probably going to hate him.

amazon.com/Seiko-SUN041-Stainless-Steel-Watch/dp/B00RZCX4W2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Got mine for ~$150 but it seems low on stock

>American cargo pants wearer detected

You know, a smartphone isn't always reliable or convenient to check the time. Especially if its either dead or you're carrying things.

I glance at my wrist more than I look at my phone.

I own a movado. Just expensive enough to signal that you spent money on it, but not so expensive or designer that you're blowing too much.

>Buying a several thousand dollar watch

Literally why? Do you think anyone's going to be able to tell how expensive it is?

Get pic related for

>Do you think anyone's going to be able to tell how expensive it is?

That depends entirely on what sort of people are around you. Everyone should dress for their social rank. You appear to know yours, the sub $150 crowd.

>buying and wearing a cheap watch

Literally why? Did you not realize cell phones tell time? Watches are purely to signify status and taste -- a gaudy watch signifies wealth but also an violent aggressive personality. A low-key watch with a leather strap signifies wealth and a more 'civilized' personality. A cheap watch simply makes you look like a pathetic little boy. Kind of exactly like wearing a diamond necklace made of glass.

Best idea is to refrain from looking like a homo in his casio knock off and wait until you have the money to get a real watch. These things may seem subtle, but they really do color peoples' perception of you.

>Watches are purely to signify status and taste
>being this insecure and caring so much about what other people think

>That depends entirely on what sort of people are around you. Everyone should dress for their social rank. You appear to know yours, the sub $150 crowd.

Yeah, bro. I'm sure you're in the multi-millionaire crowd and just happen to be posting on Veeky Forums from your private island in Panama.

>A cheap watch simply makes you look like a pathetic little boy. Kind of exactly like wearing a diamond necklace made of glass.

Explain to me how that watch looks cheap in any way.

>These things may seem subtle, but they really do color peoples' perception of you

The average person don't know a thing about watches. There is literally no difference between a $300 nice watch and a $3000 watch in people's perception if you don't tell them that it costs 10x as much.

You can get a high quality knockoff from japan for around $400 dollars. 99.999% of the people you come across will not be able to tell its a fake and those few who can tell would have to at least hold it or get a closer inspection. Obviously you wouldn't be able to resell it but there really are some gorgeous fakes out there.

I never implied such a thing. All I said was dress according to social rank and that you appear to know yours.

>All I said was dress according to social rank and that you appear to know yours

Yeah I do know mine, I'm not a millionaire.

Are you? What kind of watch do you wear?

How much do you guys think this watch looks like it costs?

shit desu, have one and it's had issues/ doesn't hold up well lots of scratches

This watch is under $50, actually. And yet I think most people would compliment it.

You can call it "insecurity" if you want, but it is how people will view you. This is Veeky Forums, networking and relationships matter. A watch is something only wealthy people wear, and they wear it to 1) show their wealth and 2) signify their personal style. If you rock a knock off casio, you are showing that you have no wealth and your personal style is that of a little boy trying to fake it 'til he makes it. Just don't wear a watch if you can't pay AT LEAST 30k. It's not that hard, use your fucking cellphone to tell time.

This.

if you're not wearing an Audemars Piguet royal oak then WHAT THE FUCK are you doing?

Get out of my fucking face poorfags, you shouldn't even be alive if you can't afford to wear this watch, pussies.

I literally kick people out of my office if their watch isn't a minimum of $5000. No poorfags are allowed to work for me, only the cream of the crop. In fact, I'm surprised some of you even get interviews or are employed given how little you care about how you look.

No bespoke suit - Get the fuck out.

No Semi-daily polished Testoni shoes? - GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY OFFICE.

No Audemars Piguet? Not even a fucking ROLEX SUBMARINER? - GET. THE. FUCK. OUT. OF. THIS. BUILDING!

You aren't driving a Porsche 918 Spyder? - GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY CITY, GO, SCRAM, GET THE FUCK OUT. GET OUT OUT OUT OUT OUT!

You don't have even *ONE* MEASLY VACATION HOME IN BARCELONA? - GET THE FUCK OUT MY SIGHT, GET OUT FUCKING POORFAGGOT, GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE I SWEAR I'M GOING TO KILL YOU ,GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!

There's a difference between caring for personal appearance and caring about wearing high end brands.

This much detail for fashion is reserved for women.

No the other anons are right.

If your watch is less than $20,000 I personally wouldn't even say hello to you in the street. I'd probably push you out of my way if I saw your watch was not worth at least that much.

If i saw you get out of a car worth less than $500,000 I would not even hold the door for you. I'd probably pretend to hold it open then slam it on you and spit on you, poorfag.

You're suppose to dress according to your social rank, and clearly if you're too poor to spend over $100,000 on your daily outfit then you know yours.

Check out Shinola. American made watched through and through.

Seriously, I haven't see so much butthurt on Veeky Forums.

>They're only ~$1000

Lmao the pricerange for plebians. You clearly know your social rank, stay poor idiot.

>Seriously, I haven't see so much butthurt on Veeky Forums.

Sorry I just get tired of poor people.

Last week I had over 5 people come to me to look at their resume and instead of looking at their resume I immediately looked at how they were dressed.

>Non-bespoke suits
>No watch or shitty watch under $2000

Pisses me the fuck off, if you want to work for me you need to at least look the part.

I'm pretty sure so long as you don't get a skeleton, a chronometer, or something with diamonds or a skull in it, your watch will look tasteful.

>Did you not realize cell phones tell time?
how to spot someone from the "I don't know what a floppy disk is" generation.

This. Knockoffs are great, but not easy to get.

fuck dude, how thick are your individual arm hairs?

>implying your womyn arms are strong enough to push me

>He thinks I don't spend thousands of dollars a week on pharmaceutical steroids from the best private laboratories in the world
>He thinks I don't have personal doctors on retainer who do nothing but measure my blood levels and ensure I am at peak health and the epitome of a well-oiled machine for my important career

Keep in mind, I'm rich and you're not.

Richfag, out.

>using steroids because genetics suck

>Not improving upon your genetics to reach a level no human can naturally attain
>Not trusting shit made by scientists much smarter than you while you worry about your investments in your penthouse in NYC

Stay poor my friend.

Troll or kill yourself.

Trying to hard either way

Poor person detected.

Don't worry I'm sure your job at walmart suits your

>the only ones I like are 30k+ usd

just a cheap rolex milgauss GV knockoff, which I am in fact wearing right know. stick to watches you can afford, not cheap replicas with a diff. logo.

'stainless steelback'

>not even 'steel back' but 'steelback'
>actually lists that as a feature
>a standard feature on 90% + of watches
>a standard feature on $10 casio watches

I'm gonna say $20

RADO was the first watch I really wanted.
I actually get hard looking at some of their ceramic watches.

But Shinola is the only watch brand that has given me a hard-on since the Hamilton brand.

I also like how they are just making it in Detroit because fuck you that's why.

They are making stuff in USA again, like burgerlanders used to do, and doing it somewhere they probably got cheap factory space and no doubt some liquidated equipment in a (recovering?) city that was devastated.

And they make that part of the story, which is why I'm telling it now, and it is genius marketing.

They didn't go the tired old route of buying cheap japanese watches and slapping a swiss or french name on them.

The world needs more of that.

I think a British watch brand that has 'made from British steel' or something would kill it, because the steel industry is in danger of dying out.

>Paying 14k for a watch that doesn't do half the shit my samsung gear does.
>At least it's pretty to look at.
>women give a shit about what you wear

Stop being such faggots

i have some vostoks with my family name engraved on them, soviet era present to my parents.

The billionaire Chuck Feeney wears a cheap casio watch, doesn't have a car, or a big house.

He's been too busy giving money away, because he has too much.

Obama wears a watch you can pick up for about $250.

This may shock some of you, but some rich people (shudder) don't even wear a watch, because if you're already rich -

1) people will wait for you
2) where the fuck do you have to be?

I'm not 'rich' but yeah, I make a couple hundred grand a year, and I do it so I don't have to be anywhere at any particular time. Sounds like you are one of those who makes 'busy time for themselves to escape their existential dread.

Or, more likely, a total and complete troll.

More millionaires wear Seiko or Timex, Casio, etc. than Rolex or Audemar or Omega.

How 'rich' do these 'poor' people have to be that work for you? 'rich' enough to afford all that shit, but 'poor' enough to want to work for you?

Your views are outdated, but admittedly a minimum level of aesthetics does work if you are dealing with risk-averse old money and investment banking or hedge funds, which sounds like what you're into.

Since I work for myself, it is refreshing to see guys like Tim Ferriss, Mark Cuban, Mark Zuckerberg, etc just dress slightly better than they did before they were rich, they will still show up in sneakers, jeans, tees, sweats, whatever is comfy.

His point was that a $30 watch looks comparable to a lot up and even over $500

>Get pic related for

Orient is Japanese and that's not a submariner knock off in any way.

>$50
Ya dun goofed.
>$30 watch.
No, be said it was a $50 watch,
And I said it looks like a $20, maybe $30 watch.
I stand by my point about it saying 'steelback', also it says 'water resistant' but no depth listed, which seems like a waste of print, and usually means if you so much as splash it while washing your hands, it dies.

For $50, I could find a nicer one on eBay or a pawnbrokers, market, etc - you could get a vintage Tissot for less than that which may just need a little repair.

And yeah, that watch is comparable to other watches.

I compared it to a $80 Seiko, Rotary or Citizen, and it looks shit.

At least their entry level models are not trying to be something they are not, have a proper box, warranty, and known brand.

Omega Seamaster. Always.

>350
>expensive
Dude said 30k was too much not 30 dollars

These seiko chronograph watches, with a leather strap are great value.

Great quality, and respected without having a high level of brand cost on top.

I purchased my 'dream watch' early in business career and never wear it. My seiko chrono gets worn everyday.

G-shock

I think he was joking. Armani exchange is soft like dogshit.

Wow this thread devolved into pure shit.

So I'm kind of in the same boat, I work your basic office job and would like a watch that looms somewhat expensive while being very minimalist in its design. I HATE big gaudy "look at me" watches. I also would like something gold, which is why I'm pretty set on movado. Are there any other brands where I can get a minimalist gold watch for around 500 bucks? Or, are there brands I can buy for around 1000 that are made with real gold and hold their value? I feel a lot better about spending big when it's a real asset like a gun that I know won't depreciate like a car.

My Nomos.

Co sidelong adding a Rolex for more casual wear. I wear the Nomos p much everywhere but it's definitely too dressy sometimes. I've always been a bit averse to Rolexes but after significant digging around there's really nothing else better in that category. Mlso maybe just time to fall for the Submariner meme.

I might also get an Orient Sun and Moon just cause it's a cool cheap watch. Orient makes good product for the price point.

$50 with strap. Milgauss copy.

my watch.

Omega seamaster deville from 1960's.

I reccomend looking into tudor and omega watches that has gained some years.

The one I have here from the 1960's is important to me because it's fully automatic and only moves when I move, sentimentally enough.

around 2k for this watch, i have a cheaper one, tudor oysterdate from 1983 in the retail box with authentication papers at about 1.5k.
(it's sapphire blue)

The watches you get however, should have sentimental value, you can of course go and get a rolex for 30-++ k and look like a g, but if your house, car and wife doesn't match that watch, that watch is not you.

like this.

I am 18 and bought this watch with my own money. I guess it suits me well since it is not classic, it is sport but at the same time an elegant one and if people look at the brand, they get impressed.

It is a Michael Kors MK8152.
Just get one and wear it with some classy bracelets.

Huh, really?

Why don't you post a picture of it on your wrist right now? I just want to see how it looks in person on you.

>classy bracelets
God each generation is getting gayer than the next.

>God each generation is getting gayer than the next

Huh really? Which generation are you from my old friend? Have you experienced many generations to be such an expert on them?

Everyone alive today has experienced at least 4 generations.

How can that be possible if a generation is around 20 years?

Which minimum of 4 generations have you experienced? Are you a babyboomer as well as were alive during WWII?

Some less expensive (about $5k or less) but still great respectable watches that will hold their value and last you a lifetime are in my opinion:

Omega speed master
JLC master control
Carrier roadster
Rolex submariner or date just

Make sure you don't buy one new, get it used from a reputable watch dealer. And do your research.

amazon.com/Casio-F91W-Digital-Sports-Watch/dp/B01AV5P008/

The only Veeky Forums approved watch until you have 7 figures in the bank.

lasts multiple decades, keeps fantastic time.
completely replaceable.

$7 in stores, $10 online

Well lets see... I've experienced the generation younger than millennials, those born after 95. Then I've experienced millennials (who really probably aren't the absolute gayest generation over the last century but definitely express thier gayness the most). Then there is generation X which I am (who were getting there, not the gayest but pretty fucking gay as gay goes). Then there is baby boomers which my parents were (they were gay for other reasons but didn't feel the need to say shit like 'people from phoenix are phoenicians nnyeaa'). Then there was my grandparents who were the silent generation who would have probably slapped your pedantic ass upside the head, but hey times were different back then.

It's all relative, nawmean? Did you actually really want to discuss this? I can go on for days. I'm guessing the answer is no.

sorry m8, im a far way from home and the work I have at the moment does not call for a suit or a fancy watch.

Right now im using a wenger; sturdy as hell and swiss.

>no one realizes this is an obvious shitpost

But it didn't

Still too expensive based on what some faggots in this thread are saying. Sheesh, if you wanna buy a expensive item, just do it, nothing wrong with that if it isn't breaking bank. I want to buy some expensive rings too when I make enough too, nothing wrong with watches. Dream ring is pic related

>Micheal Kors
>Suits me well
Woman/dumbass detected

You triggered a millennial's butthurt

If you wear that watch along with a dirty blue shirt with top three buttons open, gray slacks, cheap belt or no, and flip flop sandals you will look like a strolling Pakistani and no one will bother you.

Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer for $700 looks good in every occasion from playing ball to dancing at the ball tee bee aych

G-shocks are really nice if you don't mind the fact that they look fairly utilitarian. I work in a fairly laid back environment and also do a lot of hiking and other outdoor activities, so I wanted something indestructible that didn't look like a piece of crap. A few of my friends have had theirs for years, and they're all really happy with them - I am too so far.

Not a fashion watch, so it may not be what you're looking for, but I give it a solid recommendation for what it is.

the craftsmenship on that thing is terrible.

Look at the terrible polishing, the indents the missing, is that wood or a stone?

Well, I guess a millenia and a half of wear and tear will do that to a ring, it's this one.
1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/signet-rings/medieval-byzantine-garnet-gold-mens-signet-ring/id-j_721882/?utm_content=control&gclid=CP-EpJeQ8cwCFZE0aQodhn0NTg

I'm not sure what the deal is with buying old junk simply b/c its old is.

even if you fucking love they byzantians for some reason.

all you can do is argue taste and historic treasure.

Today we've got 3d printers and laser cut injection molds. Make your own history. Go out and dig up the metal for it. Work with a designer, make something uniquely your own.

I always wanted a Rolex, since I was a kid. So I bought myself a Steel and Platinum Yachtmaster. The watch is awesome. I love it. I cant afford a vacation home or a porsche, but I could afford a nice watch, a nice home, and I look professional every day.

Cool.

What kind of job do you have?

I'm a CPA.

12 years experience. A Senior Manager at a Regional Accounting Firm

Neat

Yet still coming to this hole. Old habits die hard, huh. Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever leave either.

I have a 18k day date that I got from my grandad but the movement is broken and I'm too much of a poor fag to get it repaired. Gonna keep it but it's worth a hell of a lot think I might sell it at some point once I fix it.

Orient Bambino

>spending literally thousands on a fucking accessory
>Veeky Forums approved
the only people approving of this behaviour are the people who want to look rich but will never be rich because they are so shit with money that they spend it all on eye candy.

If you spend any more that 1% of your annual income on a fucking >watch you are a literal retard. Even 1% is way too much.

t. poorfag

>hurr durr my clothes define me

Make sure you don't polish that user. Nice watch

lol
you dont know anything about watches do you?

AKA 'the Terrorists Watch'

>Osama approved

Saykoh for work/weekday general use (350 aud).
Aviator for social/weekend use (1000 aud). Came with a fuckn sik hat and set of goggles as well.

Would definitely recommend a Seiko though in terms of value for money.

t. Guy paying interest on credit card debt

I have a decent watch collection. I honestly like my Breitling Transocean 1461 the most with a custom made black/black strap.

People often ask me about it as it doesnt look like the typical rugged breitling. It looks a lot "cleaner" and looks classy without having to resort to bling like yellow, white or rose gold.

>and the only watch approved for space walks.

That's a relief, my watch always fucks up when I go for space walks.