Fashion Design Education

Fashion Design Schools:

Worth it ?

if you want to be a starving and unemployed graduated might aswell go for fine arts senpai

Is style and fashion a passion or a hobby?

My parents fucking hate me for going to college for film but I love storytelling and filmmaking more than I love impressing my parents and living "comfortably"

Have the drive to understand that in an art, you'll fail way more than succeed, but the success lies in doing what you love, whatever avenue that may be.

even if i end up starving out of school, I'll be at peace knowing I'm sating my hunger to create.

fucking gay.

He is probably living more fulfilling life than STEM fags

>even if i end up starving out of school, I'll be at peace knowing I'm sating my hunger to create.
i suggest you actually try starving before you say you'll be at "peace" with starving. i can guarantee you wont be saying that when your parents arent supporting you or if there is another recession and you'll be cursing those words if you have a child and have to support it, please dont be dumb, either stay out of college and save the money or do something that you can actually live off

How does it feel to be a joyless STEMlord with no soul?

correct, but there's such thing as better taste worse taste. i can judge what kind of person and your worthiness by your taste. of course well read Veeky Forums x Veeky Forums x /mu/ fags are just superior than """fashionable""" rich people with their yeezy and lambos. i'm poor and i don't even want lambos. if i was to be given one, i would sell it and buy my way to move to the US, buy myself some cool (clean and safe, but not rich looking) apartment in Brooklyn and start a small business. like idk, vintage bookshops or cassette store.

man, i'm pretty proud being poor. because i just know i'm better, intellectually.

>this entire fucking post

good luck my man

You might have a better advantage majoring in some kind of business degree.

user this post was just bad

I can tell your heart is in the right place but you come across as very sure of yourself.

You seem to be very strongly projecting your own miserable view instead of actually sharing a valuable observation.
In many countries, an academic degree doesn't constitute a financial burden on the student and his family, and scholarships are often a thing for those that do struggle.
Furthermore, following an academic discipline for the monetary benefits its degree entails down the road is one of the most superficial and destructive ideas one can have.
Of course, some pragmatism is necessary; an academic degree is a platform upon which you build your future, and many students strive towards the acquisition of a degree that they do not know how to use properly once out of school. If your goals are getting through a locked door, academia is looking for the key.
The real pity, and the death of education so to speak, is the fact that most institutions have turned into degree churning factories to meet society's ever growing demand for "qualified" (even if completely unskilled) workforce.

A good and reputable Fashion Design School can be a boon to your career. The connections you will make and the knowledge you will acquire will dazzle and inspire you. The projects and the shows you will work on will give you valuable skill. Your life will be suffering, however, as this will demand incredible amounts of work and focus on the side. You will require luck and dedication. Lots of it.

Worth it?

I was merely speaking from what my peers are experiencing, in aus we pay about 36,000 aud to get a degree, unfortunately my friend decided to do philosophy and drama and is only now realising it wasn't the best decision, i do agree with you, it is valuable to have a degree of any kind on a resume, but wether or not you could have better spent your time is another question, as for me im happy travelling, working at woolies and smokin ma dude, and i still make enough to put money in the bank for a rainy day :)
also just touching on doing a degree for money, ive met a few people with law and engineering degrees who did the course, got a job, worked it for 6 months and went back to the job they had during uni, so you couldnt be more right there, its just all about striking a balance

I studied informatics and worked in CRM for Saint Laurent.
>tfw fashion+money

Is this new master-bait on Veeky Forums.

Synthetic and homosexual

jesus

You guys are scaring me.

Got accepted into Pratt... should I just not do its despite the name? I thought going to design school would show me how to actually work seams and such. How is a designer supposed to get into the industry?

Like anything it's about having a well documented and presented body of work as well as networking. The designers that make it are always the ones that put in the ten thousand hours and more. You also have one life and there is no perfect path so do what you want but be responsible and realistic.

>sell lambo for 250k (best case scenario)
>
>
>he thinks he can buy a cool apartment in new york and has some money left to start a business with only 250k!

the AVERAGE price of an apartment was 1.85mil in 2015.

>"i'm pretty proud being poor. because i just know i'm better, intellectually"

KEK

Every year 20+ students will graduate at your school from the same direction. Multiply this by every "designschool" in your country, and you now know your competition...so better bring something unique to the table

absolutely if thats what you're interested in

Just go for it, if you don't like it. You can switch.