Whats the best undergrad degree for going into investment banking...

whats the best undergrad degree for going into investment banking? It seems that econ majors are truly a dime a dozen these days. Is some sort of engineering degree more worthwhile?

>Accounting
>Finance
>Math
>Econ
>Physics
>Anything quant

Degree matters far, far less than your school, networking, and location. I've seen many english and history majors in IB.

What school do you go to?

obviously a really really good one or at least ill put that or now that ive read this comment ill put a mid tier school and a blurb about how i understand the value of hard work and despite my school being average i already have the beginnings of being wildly successful

Columbia

Lmao, do whatever the fuck you want for a major then. Start networking tomorrow.

This + maintain a good GPA
N.B. I would go and do engineering/CS because, you know, plan B, and shit. Yes, you need a plan B even if you are an Ivy Leaguer

[/thread]

Plan B can be any one of S&T, Fin. Adv., consulting, coverage, corp. banking, PE, investment analysis, etc.

There are a plethora of finance jobs available (that pay close to as much as IB with far less demanding hours) that would make more suitable Plans B-Z.

S&T or PE as a plan B to IB? idontthinksotim
wtf is "coverage"? coverage group is an IB placement

Coverage = credit, relationship management = corp banking. Techincally part of IB, but not what most people think of when they talk about IB.

S&T and PE are two different career paths, hence Plan B. PE is growing -- many would-be IB analysts are starting their careers as analysts at PE firms.

Not sure about undergrad, but Columbia Business school is the name I know.

>1
What happens if you go to a "good" school, just below ivy league tier, I don't live in US but we have equivalents in my country and my uni is best non ivy league here.

Literally any quantitative degree would give you a good chance. No preference is given to hard science/engineering majors over econ or accounting majors or vice versa. Your GPA and other activities are what seperate you from the crowd, not your major because majors of pretty much any kind have become a dime dozen; and out of all STEM subjects, Engineering majors especially have become a dime a dozen. So just do something youre interested in and would do well at but try to make it quantitative.
>economics
>finance
>accounting
>STEM (maybe not Biology, though)
All of the above are equally good provided you go to a good school.

It might be difficult to work in the US due to logistics (having to fly to the US for interviews) but you could get a job at the bank's branch in your country if your uni is one of the best in the country. I did an internship at UBS in Switzerland and I met far more ETH Zurich grads than Oxbridge, LSE grads.

>wanting to do investment banking

The Wolf of Wall Street and Hollywood aren't real depictions of the Finance industry much less Investment Banking, have fun staring at Excel spreadsheets

I meant what is the best degree if I go to a non-ivy league. i assume something a little more quantitative/challenging.

>excel spreadsheets

kek i think you meant powerpoints

STEM/finance/econ is ideal in this case

network

It depends on your uni. Not all "Ivies" are equal and there are several non-ivy schools that are considered to be better than the lower Ivies (Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell) and on par with the better ones. If you go to a target school (a school where lots of bulge bracket banks recruit for analyst positions) than any quantitative major is fine, if you don't go to a target school then finance or economics would be better because you need to demonstrate interest in the field more than people who go to target schools. For reference, a few target schools are:
>Ivies (esp. HYP, Penn, Dartmouth)
>UChicago
>Duke
>NYU Stern
>U of Michigan Ann Arbor
This list is FAR from inclusive. For a more extensive list, search on google or Wall Street Oasis.

There are no inherently valuable degrees, there are degrees that provide you with PREREQUISITE skills (STEM degrees). The reason IB is hard to get into is because a STEM degree is considered barely more than the requirement for applying, after that you're on your own senpai.

Econ & Math or Finance & Accounting are both god-tier combinations.

How the hell is everyone in America doing double degrees?

Over here one degree takes up about 40-50 hours a week.

People with double degrees typically do each one with less depth and rigour. I doubt there are many people who can manage to take honours courses in two different degrees and do well.

>powerpoints
Nope, IB associate at JPM here. I've used Excel everyday in my job since I started. Get real fucking familiar fuckstick.

How's it going Jamal?

My school is about 60th in world or so for finance (reminder im not from US), I dont think my school is a target school