/diy/

Do it yourself/ re-purposing general
"I'm on vacation, can somebody else do the collage pls?" edition

Anything about making your own clothes, customizing and/or tailoring goes here. Talk about your projects. Ask Questions. Share information. Help each other out.

PASTEBIN:
pastebin.com/hnXtzTk7
(if you think the pastebin lacks any information, just ask)
Japanese magazines, just in case you need them
pastebin.com/Q2iDYiAM

last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

thecuttingclass.com
instagram.com/rueul/
ikatbag.com/2014/03/subtelties-in-drafting-sleeves.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>[serger optional?]
>Is it necessary to own a serger?
In the beginning a serger isn't necessary. You can practice different seam finishes to hide raw edges or use the zigzag if your machine has that function. A serger is only necessary if you're going to work with knits, in which case you should get one with a coverstitch features. It's yet another investment, so wait until you have finished some projects. It has it's advantages. The finishing on the edges look better and you sew faster with this machine. Regard the machine as an addition, not as a replacement.

What fabrics fall under knits? What are other minimal requirements of a serger? Any spelling errors?

Repost: thecuttingclass.com

didn't include cheasecloth's red bomber as he doesn't actually post here.

Cool My pants made it in.

I wanna make a scrub top with patch pockets AND a kangaroo pocket. Anybody have a pattern for making anything with a kangaroo pocket so I can start fucking around

You can make a pattern from a large piece of paper. Just place it over the garment and trace, then add extra allowances as needed

what are you guys working on? I'm going to make a drop shoulder long sleeve shirt next

most look like shit

Make some better stuff and contribute then!

Posted in old thread, but right before it went romans

are those pleats near the waistband?

yo Veeky Forums just recently graduated from fashion design and finally had some time to make a small little collection of things i made for myself :)

i'll do a little dump of the stuff i made and shot

back detail

Long coat with raw bottom hem

Yee, didn't feel like dealing with elastic

forgot to list details of items made in this shot:

Patchwork drop shoulder hoodie compromised of Wool, Cotton and Mixed fabrics

Cold Dyed elongated Tank top

Drop crotch cargos with two self belts stitched onto the waistband to adjust to any size

Faux leather Sack Bag with elongated straps

Oversized coat with elongated sleeves

Draped turtleneck with long neck

Cargo pants with double belt

Half jacket with middle strap:

Material is suede burnt with an iron and waxed on top.

This ends my lil mini dump. if you're interested in seeing more of my stuff from the past or in the future upcoming feel free to follow me on ig @rueul

good stuff user. do you plan on sticking with the rick/julius/ann d aesthetic or are you planning to branch out?

Been a while since I last posted, finished this a couple of weeks ago and now I'm trying to decide what to do next.

I've got a few hanks and balls of some nice hand dyed fingering weight merino wool and some alpaca from a local yarn shop that was closing down. Should have been between £8-15 for everything individually, got everything for £2-5, but now I have to decide what to do with it all.

Got a couple of balls of aran weight arriving this week with some new needles (gave my 5.5mm 16inch circular to a friend I'm teaching to knit so I needed new ones) because I agreed to make some hats for friends, and I should have enough left from those skeins plus what I have left from other projects to make some hats to donate to homeless shelters this winter.

I need to find a project for the fingering weight stuff though.

This coat is pretty cool, not a big fan of the wide stacking sleeves but would buy/10

thanks alot man :) hoping to branch out into something more of my own aesthetic but within the target market of that group. So there'll be hints of such Designers in some of my works. For now it's just trial and error of trying to copy and emulate how they make particular items such as double layered tee's, Cargos, perfect amount of drop crotch, etc. and figuring out exact measurements - and when i think i'm ready i'll start making items that i've planned to do but just haven't done due to not enough experience

sweater user is back! looking forward to seeing those hats.

looking forward to seeing you develop more. could you describe the style you're gravitating towards?

Goddamn straight fire

In the middle of throwing some patterns on my vest

Hello! Yeah I'm looking forward to making them. Basic beanies are a nice straightforward thing to knit so I should be able to crank out a few fairly quickly once my stuff arrives. I'll post them when they're done.

sicc

Paint splattered shoes?

go for it man. someone painted some old derbies white a while back, looked like something from margiela

Where to buy good quality fabric?

Does it look good on any shoes besides leather? like knitted sports shoes.

I painted canvas shoes with plasti dip once, it had a strange gradient effect

Nice

So one of my nicer pairs of sweatpants, Japanese made Lonsdale pants, has a piece of canvas (I think) sewn on the inside of the pocket. Think that's there for rigidity? Like to help prevent the cotton from getting ripped? Cuz I might add that to some of my work clothes if that's what it's for
Pic related, sorry for the shit quality

Would it be feasible for me to get #2 to the same shade as #3 with something like a quarter concentration of black dye? It's 2% spandex, but I figure it should still take the dye fine.

Got any photos of the rest of the vest?

might be to hold form as well, so the pockets don't sag

I like this one and some others.
Can't see myself using them they are pleasant.

K I just bought a 25 yards roll of milspec 1.5" wide flat elastic (got it cuz it was cheap)
Think I can cut it down to .5" wide to repair my old Nike anorak? Already removed the old stretched out elastic from the cuffs and waist and it's half an inch and one inch wide respectively

Yeah, shouldn't be too bad. Just added elastic cuffs scavenged from an old jacket onto some jeans. Added qn elastic waist too, the waist is now ridiculously high but it's comfy

Know how could I add elastic cuffs to something I own? Do I need ribbed knit material and flat elastic or is the rib knit good enough on its own

Rib knit should be good enough. You've got quite a lot with 25 yards, so you could sew two pieces together along one edge and fold if you're worried about the thickness of the cuffs.

I know it's hardly fashion as I only use these for sports and lounging, but can i make the legs on these slimmer the same way as jeans?
I've done jeans before but I'm not sure how the stretchy cotton will react to the stitching.

should be about the same as sewing a sweatshirt which can be done on most machines.

I bought this shirt because I really liked the image, but the shirt is big and the image is kinda small, what you guys think that I can do with it

CUT OUT IMAGE, SEW ONTO ANOTHER TSHIRT.

I have an idea, why don't we post two words and try to design something based around those two? reply with suggestions

Do you have a Tumblr or IG? If love to see more and talk to you and trade ideas an sketches

who made the crust pants? any more pics?
currently also working on a pair

yeah for sure! my ig is instagram.com/rueul/ just hit me up with a message and we can talk :)

Wow your IG looks like a professional or something lel

How did it come out?

not bad, could be a little darker though. you could always dye it again if you'd like

I think you should remove the Velcro
And dye it again

I like it muted like this
You ALWAYS see ppl that do this make it pure Black, so it's nice to see a muted version where you can still see the camo of it

But the right arm looks darker than the rest of the jacket
And it's not just the lighting in the room, you can see more of the camo on the left shoulder strap, for example

I love the muted camo, helps with the impression that it's something other than a basic black coat

Lose the trip and type normally

But that guy is sometimes very insightful lol

Is uneven dye good? Mine came out similar

huh didn't know crusties browsed effay

Is there a good way to remove paint from small metal hardware like zippers, buttons, or shoelace eyelets? Preferably without damaging the fabric it's attached to.

If cotton, try acetone
Otherwise, idek, steel wool?

you're thinking of intern
this is the first time this guy has posted something in here
he usually just opens tatto threads, get triggered and chimp out in them

same guy that just posted the dump of all his collection clothes.

I got this 1998 AW Carol Christian Poell jacket in tan off of grailed originally but the condition was much worse than i thought. lots of flaking, oil stains and just overall use. so i decided to dye it black, pretty nervous since it was my first time ever dying leather ( or anything) and pretty happy with the results

That looks great

I liked it more before, had more character before it was dyed black

Also you can refer to this
Terminal-boredom.com/crustpants.html

Pretty much just me

what bands would you rec to a metalfag? something with interesting riffs

1. tfw no CCP
2. I would've advised against dying it since those characteristics were intentional and it kind of ruins what CCP was going after

But, that's me.

i did previous research of the specific item that i was buying and it was supposed to be just a solid tan without the distressing and other marks left on it. it was beautifully aged but on some parts of the jacket it was very neglected and leather just looked worn out and unpleasing - more so on the rotton side than aging gracefully.

thought process of doing so was i was thinking more so of a clean palette for myself. adding in my own characteristics as im going to make this my everyday jacket

I've been turning an old pair of jeans into crust pants by following the terminal boredom guide for a month or so now (very little free time to work on them). Did y'all sew the patches on while you were wearing the pants? Lurking StP and some other old punk forums says that's the trve way to do it but its tough ;w;

Fair enough. I can appreciate if parts of it weren't properly taken care of and the dyeing was to cover that up -- since it's hard to make up for that cosmetically.

my first pair i did and for some hard to get spots its ok i guess. but no i sew them whilst not wearing them, make sure to use strong thread tho.
working on them little by little is fine, give you a good "feel" for the pattern as it breaks in.
any forum ive lurked was full of poseurs.
anti cimex
hellbastard
amebix
doom
extreme noise terror
(i dont like neo/contemporary crust like tragedy or disfear)
i like metal a lot, celtic frost, mercyful fate, helloween, old metallica, early running wild

thanks for the help! since this is a music thread now do you have any """deeper""" recommendations for crust? ive listened to and loved most of the albums in that list

Sore throat - unhindered by talent
Sacrilege - behind the realms of madness
Hellbastard - heading for internal darkness
SDS - in raid there is no life / into the void
Antisect - out from the void
Effigy - evil fragments / grinding metal massacre ep
Axegrinder - rise of serpent men / grind the enemy
GISM - Military affairs neurotic / anarchy violence ep
Heavy Nukes - violence ep
Concrete Sox - your turn next
Electro hippies - play fast or die
Deviated Instinct - rock n roll conformity
Nuke - Nuke
Shitlickers - shitlickers 82

oo sweet
not a big fan of hellbastard though, gets too.. plodding

one of my fav albums so i comes with my recommendations :D

I respect your opinion
I'm more a fan of Death Strike, give a listen to their 85 demo and tell me if you have anything similar

you rec'd me that a while ago i believe, good tunes

I recall someone bleaching the top of their sweater a while back. Can someone please post a pic of it

huh
you're that guy from that shitty punk thread on mu a few weeks back right?
glad you liked it

thanks!
youve also put ink on right? is that only temporary?
I'd imagine it comes off should you ever wash them (which youre not supposed to anyway)

I used screen print ink and paint, so it dried on permanent

use the archive

Have a shitload of stuff to alter
Gonna be a busy weekend

I made some back patches of Agalloch from which of this oak demo, i have extra ones if someone is interested.

Because I can't find a secondhand yellow sweater, I'm working on this project. Call it 'astrogator'. A sweater for cycling with my randonneur. I'm also trying to show the relation between astronomy and religion. A mixture of Rudi Gernreich, John Maus en Willem Koopman. I want to add 4 pockets on the black part of the sweater. Some drawings or embroidery in white. Maybe another addition or alteration to the pattern.

how much would you sell them for

i Don't know, how much should i sell them for?

what's with your sleeve's cap shape?

Do you mean that it doesn't look round? In the picture the sleeve is folded and it looks like it's straight, but there is some curve. I suppose it has something to do with the angle.
ikatbag.com/2014/03/subtelties-in-drafting-sleeves.html

that's not a good reference, i'll post a basic sleeve block instructions in a bit
the "angle" they're speaking on has to do with the inverse relationship between the cap height and width, if i remember that correctly
the curve shouldn't deviate much from a bell curve

put elastic cuffs and a waistband onto some old jeans.

mate please do not wear those out in public like that. that waistband is the worst thing i've seen in my life