Is this too formal for college?

So Veeky Forums is this to formal to wear to college / university?

If you're going for that vibe at least tone the shoes down to desert boots or boat shoes.

Is this what Americans typically wear to university?

yes, change the shoes. also are those dress pants/slacks? if so change to chinos

no they wear a t-shirt with yoga pants if female or basketball shorts if male and then running shoes

there's nothing formal in that fit, but you look like a fag regardless.

this is basically the business school uniform here, in finland. maybe it's the same elsewhere

What is the model/design of the watch?

you can dress however you want, you're an adult now and don't have to conform to the standards of any workplace.

get a darker belt btw.

people will think you're probably gay dude

BROWN BELTS

BROWN BOOTS

BLACK PANTS

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You will probably get mistaken for a TA, but fuck it you look like you can pull it off.

arent they navy?

Yeah looks navy to me.

Honestly a lot of people at my university do dress like this everyday. I think they're a bunch of try hards and laugh at them, though.

something's wrong with your monitor m8

If you're the professor, sure.
I agree with the anons recommending a shoe change. Try matching boots or sneakers to tone it down. You can also add something like a sweater or cardigan.

I dress like this everyday. But. I'm not in college anymore.

I had the same doubt when I started college (wanted to dress more mature) and after the first weeks, seeing everybody dressed shitty, I just dressed like I did in high school to avoid looking like a try hard.

Since I liked that style so much (the one in your photo), I just spent all three years of college buying clothes that fit that style, storing them in a separated wardrobe and kept dressing wtv everyday.

Then, when I finished college and started working, I had the wardrobe I always wanted with the plus of everything in it being new, since I never wore the clothes I bought.

European here, just for context.

only good advice

Lol I can't see why anyone would consider this too formal. This is literally how I usually dress when I'm spending the day at home by myself. At university I usually wear a button-up, tie, sweater (when its cold), top-coat/peacoat (when its cold), and loafers or a semi-formal dress shoe. Idk, maybe people think I'm a tryhard, but I don't really care. I like to maintain the image and appearance of an uptight, bookish, mild autist, and I tend to be really pretentious. Whenever I go into people's houses I usually check out there music collection and their bookshelves. If they have anything other than academic science/math books, philosophy/social sciences, or classic literature, I generally subtly (or not so subtly) mock their tastes. Similarly for music - if they have any pop music, including most mainstream rap and rock, I have to shit talk them. Acceptable genres include classical, jazz, experimental/noise/industrial, hardcore/punk, classic rock, and metal.

It's the shoes and pants. Needs a rounded toe at the very least and anything better than chinos is too much imo.

2/10

there's no reason to dress up in college. freshmen dress like that the first few weeks then get slightly stressed out and begin dressing like shit. honestly don't wear that for no reason you'll look like a tool and this is coming from a guy who has to wear a suit every day for his job

yea this is fine
the people who will think you are a tryhard are the nerds who dont know how to dress themselves anyways
anyone with even a mild sense of style will just think you know how to dress yourself
some Veeky Forumsgs will recognize you that you know how to dress yourself but think your fit is uptight and boring

what would be decent round toe alternatives for wearing casually? i dont kno dick about footwear all i got are sneakers

round toe shoes are trash, and wide-fit chinos with collared shirts is old-man tier

Is this autism?

No not really. NOONE dresses like that in college.

Maybe it's just because I go to a pretty "frat" southern school, but this look is relatively common. But it still looks tryhard.

It's weird because there's always some people dressed like this and some people wearing pajamas in every class. College fashion is weird.

what do you study? pretty much every economy student here in Sweden dresses like that

belt could be slightly closer to the shoes in color however

Considering that 95% of people dress like poorfags nowaday (jeans/snakers/t-shirts/shorts) it does make an impression that you are dressed too formal, but in reality is pretty normal attire.

Go for it OP.

>thinking ahead
>autism

are you that guy with a carpe diem tattoo or what?

No, but you look like a waiter and your pants are too tight.

They are navy, you dumb fuck. Get a new monitor.

Looks good, i would go for it.

>Is this what Americans typically wear to university?
ask and you shall receive

They look like they're about to go for a horse ride...

Wear whatever you want in college/uni. Nobody really gives a shit about how anyone else looks.

It's fine. Your pants are too tight though.

A bit on the formal side but looks good. Go for it m8

who cares, wear what you want

This is formal. Op is not

again with your auto shit.

Depends on your college and how the people tend to dress there. But I really like this fit. The shoes might be a bit too formal but the more casual style of the shirt balances it out imo

Probably too dressy for undergrad. When you get to grad school (maybe if you go to grad school) it would be perfectly acceptable though. Undergrads usually just wear jeans and button ups or yoga clothes. Nobody really dresses nice unless there's a reason to.

Tuxes are the shit
>Tfw tux has a terrible fit after gaining weight from too much drinking

I'd say it's pretty casual overall. You can dress it down some more by getting some nice boots. You'll get comments from normies ("Why are you all dressed up?" "Woah, do you have a job interview today?") but that's not really a bad thing.

There are different levels of formality you fedora tipping autismo fuckwit

why is literally every single person in every picture posted to Veeky Forums a manlet?

That's a dress coat, not a tuxedo.

Button flap looks weird as fuck on that shirt.

Shoes are bad

Low rise pants look particularly bad on your body with the shirt tucked in

does it matter how i dress if i go to community college

Our society has truly crippled

Jesus Fist-Fucking Christ, if you are going to wear those stupid shoes at least tie your laces properly.

>BROWN BELTS
>BELTS (plural)
There is one belt in this fit, phumfucker.

You'll probably stand out in a bad way unless you're in an Ivy League college, in which case you probably wouldn't be asking a bunch of Veeky Forumsggots on the internet for advice.

at my uni every football game at home calls for girls to wear the same little black dress and cow(girl?) boots outfit

leave this one to me
i will singlehandedly bring back white pants

stupid answer, lmao, i laugh at your life, m8

what do you mean "bring back"

you look fine OP, wear it. Girls love a guy that dresses well, you'll get away with more as well.

Ignore all the fat ameriburgers who struggle to pull this off.

I dont think that solid pants, a nice shirt and shoes are "too formal" for university, no.

However, those are neither. Color scheme is fine i guess (though i dont like pink shirt unless it's very subtle and as part of a business suit). Both the belt and shoes look cheap (nothing wrong with cheap; but buy basics).

Basically, each individual piece look too "trendy". Get a more classic, almost dress shirt without the pocket and a regular collar. The pants are okay, but not more.

wear a prep style instead of a business style. the latter in college just makes you seem like an autist

eventhough i kinda hate prep it's incredibly better than that gay business style

whats wrong about black and brown

This user is right IMO. You can just wear a basic solid-color (well-fitting) t-shirt from Target or Walmart or Uniqlo or similar with the rest of this outfit, and people will think you are /so effay/ *except* for actual people into fashion, which is 100% fine if you're in university. Girls don't give a shit if you're fashionable, they only actually care if you pull off *your* fashion well. Same for guys, desu. They look more at your self-confidence (which ofc goes hand in hand with being well dressed) than at your actual fit. That being said, if you're on this board u better also care about fashion for its own sake.

>you know i had to do it to em

W2c "P" sweater

You're pretty dressy, but there's nothing wrong with that. Your outfit works, and you don't look like a tryhard who wears a suit everyday. You just look nice.

(but maybe undo the top button and the collar buttons-- this isn't a job interview)

I am no longer attracted to women

you realise this is the equivalent of 'born in le wrong generation'? just stop

but why would you want to dress like this? learn something about dressing for the setting. you'll look incredibly out of place. you'll look like a try hard faggot. this is business casual wear, not something for college.

Doing you is the most important thing, and it's a nice looking outfit but this is full on going-to-work core. At least change the shoes.

Although not nearly as bad, 20 somethings trying to make menswear work is just a milder mutation of this kind of overall "le class is for men" fedora mind IMHO.

Anyone under 30 years old generally looks pretty silly in clothes like this unless they are at work or in a situation that calls for that.

I DO think it's nice you're making more of an effort to not look as complete shit as the bros in sweatpants and Stacies in yoga pants at college but it's just too formal. There can be a balance.

Please take my advice as a 28 year old sempai who wears a suit to work every day.

Hey guys, where to cop trench coats, dickens cloak and top hats? and such? Can I pull it off in this day and age? I feel like i can desu

Thrift store.
You can pull it off.
And by it I mean looking like a complete faggot.

Plenty of people dress like this to college, especially bigger universities, even if they are not business students. You will be fine. However, besides that pink shirt, I recommend you have white, off-white or light beige, pale blue, and medium blue shirts in stock as well. Darker shirts, or brighter pastel colors are optional, and don't always flatter the wearer. Whenever you feel like dressing up a bit more, just put on a sports jacket and a tie, and maybe even add a pocket square and a tie bar. Wear in good health!

Wouldn't the guys in the 1965 picture have looked very casual anyway? This is still from a time when people wore suits on the daily

Less formal belt and less formal shoes.

This

Yeah imo its so fucking weird to dress like that on a normal day

most people didn't wear suits "on the daily" in 1965

Yes. Please don't wear this. It's for your own good.

ermm.. no solicitors please

Where are the pants from? I like the fit

why do you even feel the need to dress like that to school?
do you think you'll get your dick sucked during a lecture?

This is a bad look. Don't do this OP.
Looks like some fucking middle eastern "prep" wannabe

Can confirm every westernized anglophone Moroccan boy dresses like this at university too.

>millennial falcon

You must go to a shitty college because I have some friends who dress like this and have seen a number of people dress like this
And I go to a stem school where 90% of kids are nerds

No
People will think you're a rich fag with alot of work to do before/after classes
Of course that depends on your car.