Genderless fashion

Will it happen?
What does /fa think about it?
Are there men that can pull off skirts?
Will we ever stop limiting art because of genitals?

its not about gender but about energy. masculine and feminine will always exist. you have guys dressing feminine and girls dressing manly

What does energy have to do with garments tho?

god i hope so. i'm a total womanlet, but i want to look like a confusing twinky manlet

there are different skirts for different guys

>will we ever stop limiting art because of genitals
Men and women experience life differently because of their genitals and related biological/psychological characteristics and as such interpret and create art in different ways. "...because of race" or "...because of religion" are equally shortsighted facets of your question. Differences between humans allow us to express ourselves in myriad ways, and by removing the meaning of said differences you essentially remove the significance of the self and replace it with societal identification, which sort of removes the context required to create art that is meaningful on a personal level.

Tl;dr you can wear whatever you want as long as you accept that clothing is a form of expression heavily steeped in religious and cultural, and yes, sexual tradition. Removing art from artist is simply wrong in my opinion

True.
I love the idea, just watching Jaden Smith trying to pull of the same type of skirt is getting kinda old.

I agree that men and women experience life differently because of their genitals, but I don't completely agree it should be like that in every aspect. But thats not the discussion for this thread.
Isn't removing this exact difference - gender, enabling people to connect with fashion and express themselves on an even more deeper level. I don't see being a certain gender as part of my character, but I do see the need to wear garments that are not originally meant for my gender.
Aren't we all different enough, why lean on genitals as a main difference that distinguishes me from the next person on the subway? And won't allowing men experiment with women's fashion a new way of us showcasing our deeper and more important contrasting characteristics?

If you do not believe that gender is a constituent part of your character than how do you dress in a way that is not meant for your gender? Like I said, if you really want to be "genderless" then just wear whatever clothes look good on you.
Also what is a deeper and more important characteristic than the ability to rear children?

I personally do not believe, society (or most of it at least) does. Thats why I said ''not meant''.
>Also what is a deeper and more important characteristic than the ability to rear children
Regarding fashion? Silhouette, colors, style, coordination of different fabrics, interests, influences...

I half wish so.
Not because I want to wear a Skirt, but because I want to wear a kilt without looking too dressed up. At a passing glance, if men normally wear skirts then getting away with a kilt should be relatively easy.

I feel like kilts are recognised pretty well by the plebs, as soon as you put Culture infront of it, you can gat away with pm everything...

No one is limiting art because of genitals. Men and women where each other's clothes all the time. Still, some clothing has evolved or been designed with figure in mind. You can wear whatever you want, but you can't expect people to think it looks good. There are proportions/shapes/colors that are innately pleasing and biological sexuality that informs our opinions. There are also styles that only on certain proportions within a gender.

I would relate it to how if you took a guitar solo and played it on a grand piano, you'd need to adjust the piece to the strengths and weaknesses of the piano, or it won't sound quite right.

lmao

*wear

I am asking that, if you personally believe that you are genderless, then what importance does the assigned gender of a garment hold for you? There is nothing wrong with the statement "I am not a woman but I wish to wear clothes designed for women", because most designers still design clothing for both men and women because they tend to like different things through some combination of societal cues and upbringing and perhaps natural proclivity.
I think what you're really looking for is widespread dissolution of the male/female dichotomy, which I don't really think is possible unless everyone stops fuckin'.
Personally I wear clothing because I like the way it looks, not to express my personality, but I guess if you're observant enough you can pick it up anyway, eh?

Thats why I was wondering if an average man would be able to pull off a skirt (or a dress on that matter), because of the fact that women's hips are inevitably wider and all of the other details regarding body proportions.
Or is ''pulling off'' something just what we are used to seeing on someone

Depends on the person, as always. Not everyone looks good in a suit, not everyone looks good in a dress.

Its not that much about one being genderless and wanting to showcase that with clothes, but more about one being whatever gender they want to and still being able to experience fashion to the fullest without society bringing them down or, well, brands making womens clothes smaller so that most men can't fit in them.
>because they tend to like different things through some combination of societal cues and upbringing and perhaps natural proclivity
I think that there are a lot of men that would love to wear women's clothes but dont exactly because these social cues, not because they initially don't like it.
And yeah, what you like expresses personality no matter if you try or not I guess...

Genderless fashion is just called "men's fashion".

Everything a man wears is acceptable for women to wear, so there technically isn't any "men's fashion". Only women and genderless.

like I said, there are different skirts for different guys. most skirts, being designed for women, aim to accentuate curves; a circle skirt, which gives the illusion of wide hips, would be unflattering on a man who wants a straight, tapered figure. kilts are very heavily constructed skirts that do not flare dramatically from the waist or fit the hip and butt closely, so they maintain a masculine silhouette.

True.
Thats why all the examples I gave were with men wanting to wear women's fashion.

nah, there are certain articles of clothing that are truly male exclusive, and several cuts that are the same way. women who aren't Janelle Monae tend not to wear three piece suits, shoes have less support, etc. in addition, men's clothing is way too big for most women
the broad styles may be acceptable, but a woman who wears actual men's clothing, as opposed to masculine styled women's clothing, will definitely stand out.

Elaborate further on
>actual men's clothing
>certain articles of clothing that are truly male exclusive
I'm interested

except this guy

like, men's straight sizes will be baggy on 90% of women, and certain things that are dad-tier for men, like tuxedo shirts, swim trunks, and, to an extent, polo shirts, make women look like butch lesbians at best. it's not the same level of gendered taboo as men and skirts, but it's definitely there.
by "actual men's clothing," i meant clothing designed to be worn by and sold to men.

> it's not the same level of gendered taboo as men and skirts, but it's definitely there
I agree.
Tho I feel like baggy clothes on women are even more in lately. Some women can deffinitely pull off tuxedo shirts and swim trunks (if they try), but I never thought about polo shirts

If you want to wear a skirt nobody's stopping you. Skirts are made for men as well as women, and men in many cultures wear skirtlike garments. If you want this to be normalized in a culture where most men do not wear skirts, perhaps you should immerse yourself in a different one. Or not. Be the change, dude. Don't waste time telling people on a Javanese coconut husking forum about it.

Polos don't look good on men either though

tell that to the prep thread

I get what you're saying.
But, again, in Europe its a lot harder to express yourself in an androgynous way than it is in the states.
Thats for another thread tho.

>harder to express yourself in an androgynous way than it is in the states
Maybe if you live in one of the liberal areas of a liberal state, but otherwise I'd say it's just as hard to break gender norms in America, at least for men.
Most of America has a very industrial culture centered on climbing your way to the top of the social or economic pile at any costs, and this role mostly falls on men due to their naturally better physique for manual labour, and (generally) sharper, more work-oriented minds. Though from advances in technology both slowly antiquating the need for physical human work-horses, and freeing up time in women's lives as well, the idea of accepting women into the work force and granting them masculine, functional and durable clothing to better do their jobs was mostly accepted as a social change for the better because it played so well into the culture of production and industry.
However, on the flip-side, it only made it harder and harder for men to express themselves in any way but masculine because of the prevailing social norms and " the way it should be" attitude of successive generations. To take yourself, as a man, born with natural proclivity towards America's cultural values, and attempt to do the inverse of that by expressing in feminine ways, such as trading in your simple and effective clothing and appearance for something that's much less suitable work-wear, like a dress or skirt or long hair or painted finger nails, is seen as ridiculous, shameful and even at times disrespectful to traditional "good ol' boy" or "family provider" types of men.

Things aren't extremes in reality, of course, but this is why men have always, and probably always will, have it harder when it comes to self-expression.
I don't think there's any way around it without the abolition of work (which I honestly think would cause more problems than it would solve), or a monumental uprooting of the basis of biologically reinforced western cultural values.