Dressing warm

I'm going to be moving to a cold (2-6°C) and very rainy climate, coming from a hot/dry country (40-50°C) I have no clue how to stave off these elements.
Any tips on how to dress warm and stay dry without looking too bad?

How rich are you and how do you usually dress?

upper-middle class
here it's mostly shorts and sport tees for casual wear and fisherman's skirts for sea, so loose fitting stuff because of the heat
professional is military uniform for me, but I see sweaty guys in suits/jeans occasionally

How do you feel about the following in a general sense:
Preppy
Workwear
Outdoorsman
Techwear
Ski wear
Business

What are you going for?

With a good winter jacket, you can go out in 6C with nothing but a t shirt and that jacket on to be honest.

>2-6°C
>cold

>hot/dry country (40-50°C)

Where the fuck

Swanndri kaka jacket. Probably looking at around $260 USD including the steep international shipping from NZ. 100% wool, treated to repel water, satin-lined.

> merino base layer
> any mid layer
> shell if it's rainy weather, otherwise anything else really
done

Well, if we're talking climate fashion...

>hot all the time
>rains all the time
>hot even while raining

How the fuck should I dress

If I were you and did not have to dress to please anyone I'd probably just wear athletic clothes all the time. Quick-dry, moisture-wicking stuff.

This.

>that's cold to you
Jesus nibba. Alright so wool, merino, cashmere and the like are all wonderful. Wear an undershirt and a sweater and you'll be cozy all day. Be sure to always get thicker gauge clothes because Collier humid environments tend to feel much colder than dry colds. Make sure you're jacket/shell is a decent wind breaker. I find leather great for that. A lot of nerves related to sensing body warmth are in the hands (which is why women tend to feel colder than men, they have proportionately less body fat (insulation) on their hands) so be sure to pack a nice set of gloves for the particularly cooler days. I'm a big fan of nice calf leather with cashmere lining gloves.
If you're still uncomfortable don't be shy of springing for a Canada goose jacket.

>Preppy
yuck
>Workwear
as in denim fashion? it doesn't look too warm and I don't think it'll work on me
>Outdoorsman
I own a hiking jacket, made me look like a hobo but was really comfy
>Techwear
I'm not some secret agent so not really my thing
>Ski wear
it's more for everyday life, not sports
to buy: Merino, I remember a guy who snuck something like that in on a colder deployment and was never cold a day
>Canada goose jacket
I like the style, is it acceptable to wear in this weather if you're saying it's not too cold

I feel you, I moved to Boston from LA last January.

Layers.

Do you plan on working outside or just trudging between your house and your destinations? What's your body mass index? OBV the less blubber you have the less natural insulation you have. If you're working on location you'll need at least 4 layers. I go with Nike Spandex as the 1st layer. Nobody will ever see it. Just jeans really won't work and you'll find yourself cold to the core. You should be able to cop a ridiculously thick jacket at your local thrift store this time of year, shouldn't run you more than $40.

Wool is a potent winter fabric. A nice wool jacket would lock you in on a still day, but doesn't do as well in the wind.

Also wool socks. Wool socks are the best investment you can make.

Has probably only been outside to commute between dildo shops.

Merino is a god send.

Some of us prefer not to spend $260 on something we can only wear less than half the year.

Workwear isn't just denim. It also includes canvas, which is a great material for jackets because it's waterproof and warm.

OP said he's dealing with 2-6 and very rainy. The wool coat I listed ought to be quite good for that.
If you're not going second-hand I doubt you'll find a better wool coat for less money than that.

Carhartt (sp) is what comes to mind when I think workwear

>as in denim fashion?
Not just denim. Like Carhartt kind of stuff.
>it's more for everyday life, not sports
I mean like, would you wear an Arc'Teryx shell jacket?
I'm trying to get a sense for how you'd like to dress because depending on that there is all sorts of ways to deal with cold and wet. A lot of Carhartt stuff is made for temperatures colder than what you will be dealing with, FYI.

If you're going for merino longjohns I'd recommend trying some other longjohns and seeing which you prefer since merino tends to be expensive.
eg. Polypropylene, uniqlo heatgear extra warm, ECWCS level i.

If you don't mind being a comfy hobo some brands to look at would be Barbour, Drizabone, Swanndri, Filson, Woolrich.

Is their anything thinner than polar fleece that's also as warm or warmer?

Seems like longjohns are what you need.

It's not a polar expedition so just get a coat, a hat, long trousers, shoes and socks. Maybe a scarf and gloves. But only for really cold days. Since you are used to a very warm climate a sweatshirt might be a good idea.

Long johns aren't made of a material as warm as polar fleece.

Think bigger. The post is asking for thinner while maintaining at least the same level of warmth.
Merino longjohns are typically a negligible level of bulk with a good amount of warmth. You use the longjohns as a base and you can combine that with a thinner-than-fleece layer over that and you can likely get your as warm or warmer while being thinner outcome.