Redpill me on "Sales Departments" Veeky Forums

Redpill me on "Sales Departments" Veeky Forums.

Specifically at large Fortune 500 corporations.

-What are the people like?
-What are the other department's perceptions of the Sales department?
-Is the job legit or a meme job like public relations?

Whats the story to the pic? is it an amway presentation or what?

Interested in this

Sales is a non-autistic job...

Either you're a bro that talks about T&A on the golf course or you're female with some nice "skills".

You can't be short, fat or unattractive if you want to be successful.

Interested in this...

Not true, there are some good fat salesman, but they make it up in other ways (usually expertise in the products they sell or experience).

There's the mechanics of sales and there is looking good.

You need one or the other and ideally both.

After I did sales for a year I gave up on the appearance part. I don't need it anymore.

>usually expertise in the products they sell or experience

And, knowing where to get 9+/10 prostitutes for buyers on business trip.

Oh and I don't care who you are, the first 3 months doing sales sucks.

You really don't "get it" till a year in.

Chad and Stacy department.

To break into global sales (be a Global Account Director) at a Fortune500 you'll need to have worked your way up in sales and the particular industry and possibly come to the global office from a local/regional one.

What they do usually: overall manage several big customers (on-site meetings with various stakeholders), working through bids/tenders to secure smaller contracts with said big customer, run projects to showcase stuff, entertain a lot, complete A LOT of admin (account planner, logging all customer-related activities into Salesforce etc, trackers) and above all, make sure you hit your targets and grow revenue.
Training is an ongoing thing throughout a sales career - firstly you need to know your shit, and your company will keep updating/releasing new products. Fortune500 companies are so diversified you will have to know many product/service lines... secondly, the global sales process gets tweaked and improved all the time, revenue targets grow every year, you will need to learn and follow new processes all the time.
If you have more specific questions ask away.

Good stuff. I'm actually at the world headquarters location and wanted to know about the career path of sales people. We have a very inelastic product and are #1 in our industry. I'm in the Sales program and it seems that after 18 months most of the people who went through it are National Account Managers. I just want to know how the rest of the company perceives us and what it takes to be successful in the role.

hhhnnnnnnnnggggggg

Ah.. well it depends. if you know your stuff and acknowledge the operational limitations of your company and processes, then it's fine.
The only sales people who are actively disliked are those that are like "wtf Ops, deliver what I promised to the customer, even if you have to work overtime and piss off more people down the line".
I think American sales people tend to over-commit and fail to properly manage customer expectations. We are much better at that in Europe.

I can definitely see that.

Got any books or other learning material you'd recommend on the topic?

where are you getting these images hngggggggggggg

I can only offer perspective from a medium sized technology company

>Sales team doesn't understand the technology they're selling and always sells the cheapest possible solution to their bottomfeeder clients
>Solution they sold doesn't work because they didn't think it was necessary to consult any engineers or architects before closing the sale
>Project managers hate them because projects get delayed by months/years as engineers try to pick up the pieces and make things work
>Engineers hate them because they have to go onsite and get yelled at by clients when the products they bought don't do what they wanted them to
>Support team hates them because after the solution is in place they have to support cheap, broken, and improperly sold technology for years.
>Management hates them because they make promises of engineers doing shit for free because "there's a million dollar project for X client in the pipeline, we need to keep them happy!"

Fuck sales. Trying to convince management to extend commission to engineers so I can just sell shit to clients myself.

I know right.

>dat face
>dat body
>dem legs
>dem feet
>dat way she's holding the mic, looks like she's pressing it to her lips

I think there are no actual salesman ITT I'm a salesman and it isn't wolf of walstreet. You chase down leads, and respectfully inform them how you have save them/make them more money. Being a cool guy doesn't hurt but ultimately no one is gonna buy $100,000 worth of shit because "the dude was a total bro"

You must be a shitty salesman if you think you are selling people the idea of "savings or making more money." You should be selling them a solution to a problem they have. Your product is the solution and the problem is usually something they didn't even know they had a problem with.

Oh wow, that's bad. Sounds like you need something like a Solution Architect who's job should be going with the Sales person to the customer for requirements gathering. Then they create a high-level design of the solution, which gets signed off by the customer. After signing, Solution Architect + engineers/Ops creates the full design, again needs to be signed off by the customer, then you proceed with implementation.

Sorry, no. I'm in Ops so I only work with Sales, I'm not one of them.
The best sales people I know live and breathe what they sell, and genuinely enjoy working with people and solving their problems.