COLLEGE MAJOR THREAD

NEET EDITION

Hey anons, which college major is most likely to land a job working from home?

I'm thinking either computer science or mathematics, or both.

But I can't help but feel like I'll make bank by going into Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, with a minor in math.

Just tell me what to major in, my boys. Wanted to into chem but the employment sucks

Computer science is usually bad because Indians can easily do your job. So unless you start for yourself you will have shaky foundations. Electrical, civil and other REAL engineering majors might still be a good idea.

This.

Electrical Engineering, Electronic/Computer Engineering, Civil, basically any mainstream engineering will be fine, higher pay and you can go in to more fields as an engineer than a CS degree.

Engineering first year here if you want to ask a question (not that first year is representative of the final years).

comp sci still has the most remote work. just make sure you learn something that isn't easily outsourcable (like being a good programmer).

things are much worse than you think

>Engineering first year
Why would we ask a Freshman anything? Your opinion matters no more than any other STEM major's opinion.

Finance at a top-10 school for it. Recruit for banking. Get a job at a bulge bracket. Profit.

>engineering first year
Bet you haven't even finished calculus yet.

You were right the first time.

Mathematics and Computer Science dual major is the power combo. From there you could do literally anything. Don't listen to the jokers on this board, in reality a finance undergrad is worthless, if you want to get into that field just get an mba

We are up to y = mx+b

Also electrical here, don't do engineering its a horrible choice. Finance/econ all the way.

Since there is a Major Thread.
How much is the pay typically for dual-majoring in Environmental Science and Ecology?
Maybe I could get some Environmental Engineering?
Someone help. I am very passionate about the environment and I would like to land a career dealing in the field.

pick a different field amigo

Thanks user, I agree. I also don't think the impending outsourcing is as bad as people make it out to be. I also tend to agree that it's a power combo, but have this strange vision in my head that dual majoring in EE and CS will get me loads of pussy, money, nice cars, etc with the ability to work from home / freelance as well, eventually.

Major in chemistry, that's the only potential for dealing with the environment professionally.

Wanted to add that I'm aslo considering Math & Physics double major to feel good about myself

Bacherlor's of Science in doing your mom.

I'm torn Veeky Forums. I start uni in 3 months, i applied and got accepted as EE, but i just picked it for the money. My passion is city building, primary road networks. Games like city skylines and old sim city really had an impact on me. But the pay difference/ opportunities have a big play also. Transportation engineers don't really move up from what I've read where as if i stick to EE i could make some actual money. Any advice?

you can outsource grunt programming to india but you won't get maintainable code. western programmers (white or otherwise) are exponentially better for building a sustainable business.

OP, I majored in CS and I'm making six figures. this isn't even special, the median salary for someone with a BS in CS from my university is just shy of six figures. but I went to school for the internship connections and because I wanted to learn more about the mathematics behind computer programming. if you want to get a job working from home, you're better off just spending some time on coursera or a similar online learning resource.

that said, I'm not sure how you plan to earn a living without an employer unless you plan to start a business, be it some sort of mobile app or an actual startup with funding and everything. you shouldn't try to work from home for your first couple of years in the workforce IMO. besides, you learn a lot from working on teams and interacting with coworkers. your call. if you plan on getting employed you'll need to either have a portfolio (a nice juicy github profile) or a certification/degree.

Do Mechanical Engineering & EE. Most transportation networks of the future will be technologically advanced.

On the subject of majors, I was an artfag throughout high school but thankfully realized pursing an art degree was useless and I can just do the art I'm interested in on the side. I'm now considering something more practical along the lines of engineering, and I find myself curious if I could apply my drawing skills to engineering. Any advice on this would be helpful. Is draftsmanship a profitable career?

I know so many people who picked a major for the money then dropped out. if you don't like what you're studying, you're not going to absorb it. you'll get a 3.0 GPA or lower and you'll hate every minute of it.

you know what they say: pick a job that feels like play and you'll never work a day in your life. they're right.

Yes, become a designer 2D/3D and draw products for a firm. I know a cabinet designer making 160K in his early 30s. He's been working since graduation though in the field.

I don't think people use hand-drawn diagrams that often anymore. Perhaps you might think about what else you're good at. Maybe if you're good at visualizing objects because you draw, you might do well with mechanical engineering?

Is there any hope for someone too dumb to do natural sciences? im thinking about a bsc in Econ/Politics/Philosophy. help?

I don't really have any interest in Mech, just road networking. Possibly city planning
Thanks, I know this sounds real corny but you changed my mind for the better

Not to sound like a broken record but STEM or bust. Those liberal arts degrees are worthless undergrads, you're supposed to get those as master's from prestigious schools

That's very true. You don't actually have to go to school in this field especially since you want to work from home. I mean how many legit developer out there has finished a college degree? You can take online courses on Udemy, their certificates are equivalent of BS degrees in an accredited college. Unless you want to socialize, paying 10-30 bucks for a cource is way more efficient than a few thousands dollars loan.

Econ is safe as long as you supplement it with some coding on the side.

About to finish my AA at a community college. Still thinking of majoring in geology even though the market is supposedly shite right now.

I'm a wellfare queen military fag and know that if I applied myself and did engineering/math/cs I could probably get an internship with a defense company.

Dk wat do biz

>>tfw fell for th petroleum engineering meme

I actually believe you

Get valuable work experience during college, cuck. Nobody fucking cares about your college major unless its engineering.

Is majoring in psychology a good idea if I already have a psychology related job?

go into environmental science, specialize in hydrology. everyone needs clean water, enjoy your job security and knowing you are crucial for human society.

What do you do? Also be mindful of degrees vs state licenses. I make more money with a short term certificate in counseling than people at my job with bachelors in psych.

Well, I'd like to go into I/O psych/managerial positions and my current job can definitely be useful as stepping stone.

I'm in training to become a caseworker for a big corporation.

What do you guys think about majoring in accounting?