Transitioning - How to do it wisely?

>> You have your little inspiration folder with notes, colours, fits and clothes.
>> Your current image dont yet satisfy your idea of style.
>> Now that you know, its frustrating not being there yet.

How do guys do it without spending money on clothes that will likely disgust yourself in matter of days?

Theres few pieces or decisions that last in the process.

only buy the most minimalist pieces so you can reincorporate them into different looks

---

i dont buy clothes any more
and i really don't spend money on clothes, because it's not necessary

~fashion~ is a mentality, not a price tag

material fetishism and seeking high quality product as a status thing is a ~distraction from true fashion~ and you should just wear what you truly like, not which sale pieces you can find for brand name recognition

that's how you start dressing like a dweeb and you dont know yourself any more

>45%

the only wise way to build a wardrobe is slowly.

budgets actually help in this regard, because they keep you from just buying whatever, so you actually have to think about what you're buying.

here's how i built my wardrobe:

wait for end-of-season sales. but be fully prepared to buy nothing if you don't find something that really speaks to you.

you have to resist the urge to just buy anything because you have a little bit of money and there's a sale. if it's not exactly what you want, don't buy it. wait.

so anyway:

1) wait for sales
2) only cop things that speak to you
3) always be prepared to buy nothing
4) buy key pieces on sale every once in a while when you can find them
5) build your wardrobe over a period of years

there's no fast track. even if you're rich, it would be inadvisable to try to take shortcuts. because money doesn't buy taste. taste only comes from time, dedication, and an openness to learn.

>minimalist
stop using that word, it does not mean what you think it does
use the word basic if you want to describe something stripped down and reductive, even 'minimal' is better, minimalist is something else entirely

this is the only thread ive ever seen on here w/ good advice

This is some true shit. Take this advice. I have 5 pairs of pants, that's it. And I accumulated them over the course of a year. None of them cost me more than $30 and I get compliments on my style all the time.

To this I add: thrift stores are your friend. Often you can find decent shit for cheap and sometimes you can find great shit for cheap. Buying pants and shirts at $5 and $3 bucks a pop allow you to try out different looks without dealing long term damage to your bank account

Always keep in mind your overall goal and aesthetic when copping. Pink neon raf windbreaker for $30 might look cool on its own but not if it matches nothing else you wear

Very good advice, thx!

And you have to deal with different stuff other than clothes.
Like a tattoo or bleaching your hair (just giving some quick examples)

>transitioning
Yeah, hope you "find yourself" buddy

>spending money on clothes that will likely disgust yourself in matter of days

I know that feeling very, very well.
How do you go about developing your "taste" then? I have some ideas but idk where to look for similar stuff to expand that specific "fit" I like.
Also, I am not sure about my body type working with that or not, since I'm short.

Share your pants pls. I'm looking for inspo to transition from only jeans.

Very good thread

I have been lurking here for almost a year, and all i bought since then is:
-6 uniqlo supima tees in 6 different basic colors
-1 pair of ultraboost
-levi's trucker jacket
-1 bomber

so apart from the UBs (which i never see where i live) all basic shit.

I wanna try something different but thrift shops are almost nonexistent (italy) and i don't know where to look.

consider a 3 day trip to London if you want to give thrifting a chance. Lots and lots and lots and lots of sick vintage/thrift stores.

I collected inspo for two years before I started spending money. I collected everything that spoke to me in any way, even if it was outrageously loud or unfit for my body type. Once in a while I would looked through my folder to see if I still liked the pictures. After two years I liked about 1/3 of my original inspo and I could see what kept me interested and which impressions lost their glamour.
My next step was finding brands which I liked for jackets, pants, shirts... I would then look through their lookbooks and other fotos on the internet and see how they styled the pieces that I liked initially to learn how to incorporate something I like into a style I would not choose myself. This helps to develop a mor broader sense of styling and will eventually teach you different approaches on building a style.
Then you have to try it out. Go to stores or buy and return stuff online. Pices will probably look different on you that on some model.

I am an intelectual person, so I try to analyze and find patterns why some styles work, what they require and if I fulfill those requirements.
Choose colors that harmonize but have enough contrast to each other.
Choose patterns and textures that harmonize but have enough contrast to each other.
Balance the optical weight of your pieces along your cental axis.
Be aware of how sporty/elegant/edgy/trashy/... a piece is so you can choose pieces that harmonize or contrast to each other.
No contrast is boring, too much contrast makes the fit fall apart.

tl;dr:
Collect inspo, try stuff on, analyze why stuff works

This thread its getting good.

>I am an intelectual person

Levi´s trucker jacket was a good cop for me, one of the few things I´ve been wearing for years

You have any names lad

I'd love to

I love It too, i never spent 110€ so quickly. Only thing is it's thight as fuck on my forearms. It happens to me with shirts too since i'm a fitizen, but the sturdiness of the jacket kind of worries me. Will i break It in?

What if I live in a third world country where clothes are four to seven times as expensive, but every year I travel to the us, and have like 20 days to buy things, how should I do it?

It's not defined that I'll keep on doing it every year, it's just been that way the last 3 years.

I agree with this. Fashion doesn't have to be about consumerism.

Rokit , Beyond retro are a Must, i'd take out google maps and search for vintage stores nearbye. This is such a large, diverse, trendy, interesting and fashionable city that you will need weeks to check every store out.

Are you the guy from the backpack thread?

what kind of third world country sells clothes four to seven times as EXPENSIVE as the us?

the whitest country on South America

i am from argentina too.

invest in your education instead of clothes so you can move out of that shithole.

If dude holidays in states every year he's probably already upper middle class or higher.

Nice, what state?
this, also I can spend on it, however for some reason family munnies will buy lots of things no problem, however if that same amount of money would be invested in less amont of clothes they would say that's too expensive and shit

okay but how do I hide my penis in these yoga pants.

I'm in brighton, any good vintage stores around here? I want to check out beyond retro

bsas

...yes, sono ovunque

Oh shit, me too, what city?

chaboun, i'm not that dude, but i live in bsas too, where do you buy your shit? or do you have the money bags and go to the us of a like the other dude?

palermo papa. somos 3 ?

You want to get two pairs of well fitting jeans/trousers so you can rotate them.

Then you want to thrift a bunch of cheap/shitty stuff (don't worry about fit, just the colour coordination)

Then start being more selective with what you thrift and pay attention to fit (shoulders,chest, length) etc. and play around with different options(Womens and childrens XXXL sizes, old school pajama shirts)

Slowly develop your style by getting rid of clothes you don't wear/don't look good.

Start investing in designer pieces now that you know what you like.

Bump for interest

id on everything he's wearing?

ily

I'm the one that goes to the US
more to the coast side

If however I have to buy stuff, I do it on Alfis Jeans, or in wherever I can find nice stuff, I've only recently bought joggers and some tirantes though.

bump