Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums

Autism post incoming.

Is there any fashion subculture that embraces or is at least inspired by traditional pagan/celtic/Nordic dress? I'm going to use the cliché example of the costumes in the tv show Vikings but this is something I've been interested in for a long time.

I.e. mostly woollen and leather rough-sewn garments and designs. I dont want costumes, i want genuine tribal styled clothing that I could somewhat modernise in some cases and incorporate into my dress. I know there has to be some LARPers or something out there that do this.

Here are a couple of base examples. Where would one find like-minded people or a source for these kinds of things? All i can find commercially are shitty looking foam costume outfits

Also note that I'm a Veeky Forumsfag and have a body type that could definitely pull off this style of clothing without looking like a leather stick or an oversized football.

>All I can find commercially are shitty foam looking costume outfits
Gee I wonder why. Definitely not cause everything medieval is completely outdated both fashionably and functionally. No, people still want to wrap themselves in layers of bulky armor and corsets.
>inb4 nords/celts didn't wear armor
That just means they're even more outdated

There are definitely small artisans out there making this kind of stuff. Their online presence is usually shit save for the few that have an Etsy but you can usually find their shops at Renaissance fairs if you happen to have one nearby.

As for incorporating these kinds of pieces into everyday life I think you're going to find that it's incredibly difficult to not look like a complete sperg, even if you are built. If you're somewhat creatively minded, I suppose you could design something with these influences and have it commissioned.

That said, I think the easiest way to go for this kind of look, or at least some kind of look inspired by these fits, is to focus heavily on textures and accessories. Garment dye jobs, slubby, imperfect fabrics and rough wool, thick leather belts with a hand hammered buckle, a leather bracelet maybe. Just my two cents though, hope I could help.

samefagging here to add something I forgot. If you decide to go with the first route, keep in mind that that shit is going to be stupidly expensive for the kind of clothing you're getting. It's nearly all handmade so pieces are going to be priced comparably to a lot of designer shit out there. It's a lot of money for a really fuckin niche style.

I've sometimes thought a leather vest kinda thing would be cool as fuk to wear just for the way leather wears and gets scratched. Plus it'd be really durable.
It'd be more acceptable if you were an outdoorsman and wanted something to protect from brush tearing up textiles.

id ask the larp thread on cgl

dude celtic and nordic is not the same thing, it's like saying indian/chinese dress

I can empathize with your autistic inclinations. We are, after all, on this website. But it's not going to end well no matter what you do.

god i hate these hollywood vikings.

I think low-volume sites/communities like Etsy and pinterest will be the way to go. I was quietly hoping someone would know an online society or community I could get in touch with. The answers so far are pretty Good, even the negative ones since I know it's a pretty retarded idea but I'm still interested to try.

Also thanks for the quality response mate; I've saved this to look into amongst the other little bits and pieces.

>pagan

Firstly, Pagan is not a culture or way of dress. Paganism is a term encompassing all non abrahamic religions. So Germanic Paganism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Native American Paganism, Tengrinism all fall under the "pagan" label.

>Nordic

It's Germanic. There's nothing different from what Nordic people wore to what the Anglo Saxons or the Continental Germanic people wore.

>Celtic

A different culture from the Germanic culture. Don't put them under one label.

>vikings
IT's a shitty show, completely innacurate, and the costumes look like shit. Nordic peoples didn't wear edgy heavy metal black leather, and they didn't have shaved heads at the side.
If you really want to dress in a style that is similar to what the ancient peoples of Europe wore without actually dressing like them, it's going to be difficult.

The best I can point out to is to wear oldschool hunting clothing. Woolen trousers and Jumpers, Leather boots, smocks, etc. Just dress rustic.

However If you're not in a rural environment, and you're dressing like this in the city, you'll still look like a Larper.

will bump with slightly relevant pictures

This is how you might dress in the modern day, but you'll still look like a LARPER in a city environment.

Völkisch core is where it's at

Slavic/Baltic womens and mens shirts can also look somewhat folkish or pegan esc.

W2c both tops

Vikings very much shaved their heads at the sides you dip. Same with the back head shave and the braided beards. You're making the fallacy of assuming 70's reconstructions are more accurate than 2010's pop culture.

In the 70's, people just assumed the norse had the same hair as their over-shampooed hair bushes. Since then, we have studied coins, portrayals, and descriptions through the glorious world wide web and concluded the vikings kept very groomed and elaborate hair styles like the side shave.

They're a type of sweater Norwegians and west Swedes wear. Similar style is found on Iceland (but theirs are fluffier). One of those, a pair of sort of jodhpur fit hiking pants, tight gaiters, a replica norse bracelet I bought at Birka, and my trusty beautiful sami puukko style knife on the belt is what I wear hiking.

What's your type of viking then. Actual bearmode greaseballs?

Look at Amish clothing and tone down on the bulkiness. Its not like that pagan larp bullshit but its functional good quality clothes that are easier to incorporate to modern style than Renaissance fair clothes

Like historical vikings, but americans wouldn't want to see that. This fantasy "historical" fiction stuff just irks me

>bearmode greaseballs
Where does this notion come from?

>how do i look like a bulgarian farm worker

Amish clothing does not have the decor or art that norse clothing has, and this is deliberate because such flamboyance is against their faith.

"Vikings" are not a historical people. It's a term for a type of pirate. Norsemen are the people. The show isn't all that inaccurate either. It beefs up the current knowledge in clothing for theatrical purposes but the norse did have such hair styles (braids, short sides, and the short back styles were very common), they did have such make-up (the eye liner thing was very popular), they did groom themselves to that extend, and the clothing depicted is an exaggerated version of the real deal. Very exaggerated. Especially since they're wearing armour in peace time for no reason. The two largest sins are that the people in the show are quite unsanitary, when the real muslim and christian sources describe them as so well cleaned and groomed they "tempted muslim/christian women to sin". Ear cleaners, combs, jars for wax etc. are common finds in excavations. The second sin is the tattoos. Historically, only one community is well documented as tattooed. The vikings did wear body paint almost all the time and had some minor decorative body scarring but again, very rarely any tattoos.

You go to school in Ottawa? I know someone who is all about achieving this

>he wants to dress like a costume designer trying to make a low budget work

Try whatever neopagans wear, you could grow a vargbeard and wear european camo.

I really like that cape/poncho thing in pic. Anyone know of something similar I can cop?

Swede here. These sweaters are called a lusekofta.

I own two real ones which I inherited from my grandma and grandpa. Comfy af during colder seasons.

One of them

This is not true. Archaeological finds show razors were uncommon, while combs are common in viking age locations, which would suggest they had longer hair which needed a lot of combing. Also by icelandic law slaves were required to have short, cropped hair, which would naturally contrast with freemen being able to wash and comb their hair regularly. Though there existed a style where back of the head was shaved while being longer in front (pic related)

T. Archaeologist

You may be an archaeologist but certainly not a barber. First of all, you can shave with a newly sharpened knife. Secondly, you can cut your hair short with shears. Third, you even elaborated on this by mentioning the specified style of bald neck as your picture depicts. The shaved/trimmed sides+long top often worn in a ponytail while in battle is very common in norse self-depictions. Bolli Bollasson wore this style. Really close trims were popular because they prevented lice and could fit under helmets. Most of the time though, keeping some part of your hair at least a bit longer was expected, since shaved heads on women was a punishment, and shaved heads on men was for slaves. We also know the norse did have flamboyant and provocative styles, quite like some african tribes today, so it really isn't too far fetched that a single norse village would contain so many crazy hairdos.

AFAIK the slaves were forced to have something like a buzz cut for two reasons, 1 to distinguish them from freed men and 2 to prevent the spread of lice.

I thought celts wore chainmail? Don't know about Gauls but here in Britain I'm pretty sure they had good mail.

It never made sense to me that the Roman legions kept getting ambushed by a bunch of guys with noisy as fuck armour honestly.

good info. thanks

Romans copied lorica hamata, or chainmail from the celtic gaul

>bearmode greaseballs
>Where does this notion come from?

Mostly metal fans, LARPers and armchair white supremacists that push a fictionalized version of Vikings as giant fantasy barbarians, which is itself based on exaggerated descriptions from the residents of the villages and monestaries that the Vikings commonly raided.

It's the historical equivalent of "Yeah, but the other guy was HUGE!"

and even then, the vikings that were most oftenly spotted by outside cultures were the most aggressive and warlike of the entire people, and were most likely lqarger than your average 9th century danish peasant

More aggressive? Sure. Pirates and soldiers tend to be more aggressive than fishermen and farmers.

But there's no evidence that Vikings were significantly larger than any other norse people. They came in all shapes and sizes of the time.

Ann Demuuler or whatever her name was has lots of clothing that look like they are made of potato sacks

well considering they mostly part of decentralized voluntary warbands and pirates, that could be true to an extent
however, standing armies such as the heathen army, a band of more than 1000 seasoned and skilled pirates and soldiers that served for 14 years
this army is a pretty large portion of the viking's conquests in northwest europe, so I'd imagine they'd be rather muscular and physically hardened warriors
similarly skilled and seasoned vikings were within the ranks of norman warbands that invaded northern france, although they culturally assimilated rather quickly with west francia so their identity of vikings is slightly controversial

They also weren't even anymore violent and warlike than most other societies at the time. It's just that they had a habit of shaking down monestaries for protection money and most written history of the time came from Monks so they got a bit of a bad reputation.

Most expeditions were about straight trading, and the Vikings were really savvy merchants. Their trade network extended as far as the Arab Empire and possibly even India (they've actually found Indian goods in wealthy Viking tombs, but they may have gotten them from the Arab).

The norse were described as "giants" by their enemies. Today, they are the tallest people on earth, and especially Scandinavians win every strong man competition. They're fairly gracile but bulk very easily and are very tall, hence the stereotype.

>b-but muh black people
All black peoples are shorter and leaner. Running fast is not about being beefy.

Incorrect. The romans described Germanic tribes and noted their large man-like women. We know from excavation that all of earth were manlets due to nutrition back then, but the norse were the least manlet.

>The romans described Germanic tribes and noted their large man-like women
2bh, considering that the germanic tribers were longstanding enemies of the romans may suggest bias
plus, they mean certain characteristics independent of their strength, like the classic germanic jawline
>We know from excavation that all of earth were manlets due to nutrition back then, but the norse were the least manlet
except the germanics, especially of norway and sweden had rather poor diets due their lack of arable land and agricultural ability & diversity

*they may mean
wew

this, you can't trust any roman accounts of anything because most of them have been proven to be hyperbolic / entirely made-up for propaganda purposes.

Are you an archeologist?