Who were the Celts?

Who were the Celts?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtiberians
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Loving how they're ALL depicted with light hair

they used lime to make their hair stand on end

Anatolian farmers

One of the largest most dispersed group of Indo-Europeans who mixed in with the native Europeans creating a fairly homogeneous culture.

>what is lime?
Partially, like all europeans

A нy чики бpики и в дaмки

mostly according to this, Spain?

Not fully in the know on this stuff, but thought Spaniards, Irish etc. were "the most" like original europeans.

Proud people of color.

Yeah

Farmer DNA is heavier in Southern Europeans

Hunter DNA is heavier in Northern Europe

And PIE/Caucasian DNA is highest in east Europe

Do the Picts count a Celtic group, or are they a distinct people?

I usually hear them grouped with the Celts, but their art and material culture seems different than La Tené. Also, is it true they traced their family maternally rather than paternally?

But it says it's highest in Norway here?

And aren't Irish and Spanish, specifically similar because both being of celtic origin, same with french and most germans.

Corpses.

Irrelevant inbred early potato farmers.

How are Spaniards Celtic? They tend to be of a darker complexion than Irish.

Also isn't the "Irish originate in northern Spain" just a theory?

I'm by no means an expert or anything, but there is significant genetic similarity between them and other historically "celtic" areas like France, Germany, Austria etc.

That map isn't taking account that neolithic farmer already have western hunter gatherer admixture though, Sardinians have like 34% and Spaniards like 40% on average

In short: they're probably Celtic but we don't have any way of knowing.
>Also, is it true they traced their family maternally rather than paternally?
Old Irish inscriptions on standing stones in Scotland have surnames with "Maqqi", the old Irish word for 'son of', but we don't know if these were Picts who had started to speak Irish or just Irish colonists.

And here's a map that takes that in account that and Caucasian Hunter gather admixture too (aqua green)
Blue is for Western hunger gather and orange for neolithic farmer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtiberians

So Celtiberians are a mix of the original Iberian tribes and the invading Celts? That article did not mention this, but it is what I gather from other reading I've done, don't remember where.

This would definitely explain why some Iberians have light eyes and light hair, I've always been aware of the Celtic presence in Iberia.

Do you know of any site where I can read about Roman (or other contemporary) accounts on the physical looks of Iberians, Celts in Iberia, and Celtiberians?

>This would definitely explain why some Iberians have light eyes and light hair,

You don't need celts to explain that, there are Palestinians with light hair and eyes.

Is green PIE? Shouldn't Icelanders be higher, matching Norwegians more? I do know a lot of the original settlers were lower caste and irish slaves, but still.

Aqua Green is Caucasian hunter gatherer, which was high in the proto indo european peoples (Yamnaya), I don't know about light green

But I believe that the Palestinians are a mixed population with foreign genetic imprints, there has been Greco-Roman genetic influence, also the European crusaders. And probably rare recessive genes as well.

I said palestinians to make an example, there are light haired/eyed Algerians, Syrians etc too

Also Greco-Roman influence in Palestine was really insignificant there and Crusader influence even less so

I've seen time and time again that Norwegians have the highest incidence of yamnaya DNA in Europe proper, surprising that it would be so low in Icelanders, despite the slightly different social dynamics of the settlers.

I am aware that some of those people you mentioned have those features. But they are extremely rare compared to Iberian people.

>Also Greco-Roman influence in Palestine was really insignificant there and Crusader influence even less so
Could you give me a citation?

What I am trying to find out is if the Celtic tribes were all mostly light complexion people who mixed with swarthier Iberian tribes forming the modern Iberians who vary when it comes to looks.

It's not that map, according to this picture too
it's roughly half, if you look at the other pic it seems accurate

My favourite barbarians and still are desu.

Spanish people dont have dark complexions, they just have black hair and dark eyes (not all obviously). Skin is about the same colour as brits

> austria
> germany

historically celtic

Just because there were scandinavian, russic and fenno-ugric elite dominance during the iron age, it doesn't mean "germanics" magically become something other than celtic dirt farmers

They are historically celtic