Ballet

What is the greatest form of artistic expression and why is it ballet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uJmZYd7cYEM
youtube.com/watch?v=fRoaW7eNxF0
arshtcenter.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZVQTJFPqvjE
houstonpress.com/arts/giselle-at-houston-ballet-has-a-spectacular-second-act-8473226
youtube.com/watch?v=va39peyPuyM
youtu.be/3bH0CAPzef8
houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Houston-Ballet-s-Giselle-a-heartbeat-in-motion-8053645.php
youtube.com/watch?v=0YNpnbGmM5M
youtube.com/watch?v=bpoicDbCwlw
youtube.com/watch?v=FYB5Mbd9jJI&list=PL36C8mkTeWNSeWfsxk6MtHtzxo_Z9eurZ
youtube.com/watch?v=CPvoyu-QYG0&list=PL36C8mkTeWNSeWfsxk6MtHtzxo_Z9eurZ&index=2
youtube.com/watch?v=3wMnCLDmfJ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well, I don't think it's the greatest form of artistic expression but I really love well done ballet. It really highlight's someone's talent to be able to tell a moving story through body movement and dances.

Has anyone gotten to see Stanton Welch's 'Giselle' which premiered just this week? I wish I could go see it. Houston Ballet brought their older Giselle to my town a few years ago so it's unlikely they'll tour it in my area, shame.

Damn, OP, that's a funny ass way of spelling opera

aw I'm reading reviews now and it sounds a bit disappointing. Welch didn't make any drastic revisions to the story (certainly nothing to warrant this being "Welch's" Giselle) and he eliminated almost all of the pantomime. Damn it people! Pantomime is essential to these story ballets! The music was literally written for them!

Connor Walsh is still, according to these reviews, bringing it as Albrecht, at least.

Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=uJmZYd7cYEM

I've seen a few Welch ballets but not Giselle, I thought his Aladdin was very entertaining.

I really think people tend to unjustifiably discredit rap/hip-hop as an art form. Opera, ballet, and painting are all very impressive and skillful, but rap was really the first art that allowed lower classes to express themselves. The vast majority of people were unaffected by mozart's compositions, but rap helped start national conversations about things like police brutality, cultural appropriation, and materialism. At least in the modern era, rap has had the most significant impact in terms of expression (with jazz/blues as a close runner-up)

What is the point of this post? I can appreciate hip-hop I just happen to like ballet more. That said, you're an imbecile if you think rap was the first form of expression of the lower classes.

>What is Folk?
>What is Country Music?
>What is The Blues?

shit, forgot about folk and country. I still think rap is more ubiqitous in terms of cultural impact than other art forms.

I didn't know he did an Aladdin. Have you seen his Marie Antoinette? I saw it a while back in Canada and enjoyed it. I wish there were more historical ballets in general.

that's only because you weren't around when Folk and Country were more important. It's easy and self-assuring to believe that the music of YOUR generation is the best or has the most impact, millennial narcissism at its finest

>but rap helped start national conversations about things like police brutality, cultural appropriation, and materialism.
>what is punk rock

I haven't seen his Marie Antoinette, but it sounds lovely. I've kept an eye on Welch for many years and almost everything I've heard is good

>I wish there were more historical ballets in general.
I second this

bump

It was surprisingly moving. And Welch actually included historical figures that are left out in most films and even books, such as the king's sister, so that was an interesting touch.

Speaking of historical ballets, I wish there was a filmed version of Will Tuckett's 'Elizabeth'! The Royal Opera House records so much, I'd rather have had this production on home media than their 28738943th Giselle.

98% of Rap/hip-hop is absolute shit.

You sound exactly like one of those teenagers that defends their heavy metal fandom by claiming metal is as complex as classical.

>all that crap is fodder for the mass population
>listens to metal
Kekkest of keks

I've been listening to classical music for years now and I would be really interested in Ballet. How do I into Ballett?

Go watch it. Compared to opera or symphonies, ballet is very accessible for a first timer, the more you watch the more you'll appreciate.
Try to live in a large European city

>I wish there was a filmed version of Will Tuckett's 'Elizabeth'! The Royal Opera House records so much
Absolutely, Elizabeth is one of my favorite historical figures and I would love see a recording of the ballet. I'd also love to see MacMillan's Anastasia on blu-ray.

>I'd rather have had this production on home media than their 28738943th Giselle.
Is there any ballet more overrated than Giselle?

It's relatively easy to get into ballet. Just look up your local ballet company and go see one, or check out some DVDs from Kultur or Opus Arte. IMO there is no greater experience than a night of classical dance [spoiler]especially on shrooms or acid[/spoiler]

I'm a classical fan, but i admit that metal in many ways is a successor to classical music.

Has anyone seen pic related? Is it any good?

You guys forget that the only reason ballet isn't dead it's because of the olympics, and also whats ballet main association in popular grounds?

Oh yeah Opera.

youtube.com/watch?v=fRoaW7eNxF0

99.99999% of rap is garbage and only a fraction is decent
Less is actually good

I bet you listen to Eminem

in what way? technical ability aside, most metal is either edgy nonsense or emotionless wankery. it's "complexity" in service of nothing.

>not opera
I'd kill to live in NYC, just to be close to the Met. Shame that the local arts center is pretty mediocre.

b8

MET is trash bro, theres honestly no reason for a youngster to go there. No reason at ALL.

meant my local arts center
arshtcenter.org/

Really, why would you say that?

I mean FUCK i already have some antipathy towards you, as you're a fellow user i'll keep going.

You do know how the whole state of opera is near dead right? Not only because of no public, that's consequence as there's no opera anymore.

You get the video i posted here and try to find a performance (vocally) like that and there is none, it's been lots since the 50's (from time to time a random guy shows up with that potential), but it's far beyond its prime and it's in pityfull state.

I mean i know the best voice teacher in the US (in case you're from there), but don't look up to the current industry, be it the professionals or the educational.

I'm not a big metal fan but there are some beautiful songs/albums if you take the time to look. I actually teared up listening to pic related

>It really highlight's someone's talent to be able to tell a moving story through body movement and dances
agreed

I don't care for ballets that are all about showing off like The Nutcracker, bores me to tears. But when I can understand the narrative through the dancing, when it drives the story and furthers characterization, that's incredible.

Ballet sucks.

A bunch of prancing faggots and anorexic chicks.

Gymnastics is far more impressive.

>people tend to unjustifiably discredit rap/hip-hop as an art form.

No, they don't.

It's nigger, ghetto-tier garbage, little different than baby speak, and a blatant rip off of shit like Dr. Suess, and anything they deem worthy of stealing / "sampling".

Rap / hip hop is a step back in black music...a huge step back.

Like all genres, there is some amazing hip-hop if you bother to seek it out. Generalizations like this are only made by people with very little exposure to it, much like when someone hates on Country when all they've heard is what is on the radio.

Popular hip-hop is garbage, as is gangster rap. The underground/alternative scene however is filled with many brilliant artists.

shit taste

>I'd also love to see MacMillan's Anastasia on blu-ray.

One act or three act version?

both, but primarily the three-act version. I have a serious hard-on for Kenneth MacMillan

Um, watch it?

This! Blues literally started from slave workers, got much more lower class can you get.

Ah. I know the one act version is on Youtube, or was last time I checked. I don't think I've seen a full version of the 3 act!

>Is there any ballet more overrated than Giselle?

Giselle is one of my favorite ballets. I haven't gotten to see a lot of stuff but I am in a trainee program at one of the best schools on the East Coast of the US. I love it because more than any other classical ballet (by that I mean before the 20th century) it fantastically develops the characters. It also has very fun to dance variations that are used tastefully in the choreography unlike Sleeping Beauty or The Nutcracker

here
Start with a classic. A lot of contemporary stuff might be harder to understand due to its abstractness (I would not start with something by William Forsythe for instance). Personally I would recommend Giselle. I also would recommend reading the synopsis beforehand

>I have a serious hard-on for Kenneth MacMillan
He choreographs the best pas de deuxs. I watched some people do his Romeo & Juliet Balcony Pas the other day and they weren't very good but it was still amazing to watch

I like figure skating better.
That's probably just the rollerblader in me coming out (no pun intended) though. It's so damn elegant and graceful.

Can you explain what makes figure skating an art form? I've only seen it on the Olympics so I've always thought of it of a sport and compared it to gymnastics in my head

He really has the most fantastic choreography, everything is about expressing emotion and furthering the drama. Romeo & Juliet, Mayerling, Manon, they all make me tear up

To each their own but I've seen Giselle four times and each one bored me more than the last. It's a ballet in desperate need of reinterpretation

My favourite forms of artistic expression are poetry (including modern rap/hip-hop to some extent) and literature.

I don't feel a strong emotional connection to instrumetal pieces, dance or anything along those lines. The spoken and written word is what resonates most with me. To me language is still the most direct way to transmit thought from one human to another, giving us the amazing experience of communicating the depths of our individual human conditions to one another. I love words.

I saw Royal Ballet do a filmed version of Manon at a movie theater and it was amazing. Marianela Nuñez was beautiful and her partner Federico Bonelli was a great partner. It had so many ups and downs between the Drunk Pas de Deux (which might be one of my favorite moments in dance) and the ending. The only complaint I have is that I'm not a fan of Federico Bonelli's acting. His face never shows any emotion despite whatever his body is doing. He reminds me of Kristen Stewart or Keanu Reeves

>It also has very fun to dance variations that are used tastefully in the choreography unlike Sleeping Beauty or The Nutcracker

The original notations for the variations in Sleeping Beauty are marvelous and don't stand out in a bad way like they do in most modern productions. Ratmansky based his variations on Petipa's notes: youtube.com/watch?v=ZVQTJFPqvjE

I wish the 'christening' fairy variations from Ratmansky's SB was available to watch on video, I honestly can't stand to watch the 'standard' variations now that I've seen his

Differerent person, but I'd consider figure skating art similar to ballet or other types of dance, because it uses choreography and movement to create a specific performance.

Sorry, but you're dead wrong.

Cinema is the greatest art form.

I was reading a review of Stanton Welch's Giselle that had a similar sentiment. I do like Giselle, but I agree.

houstonpress.com/arts/giselle-at-houston-ballet-has-a-spectacular-second-act-8473226

>However, in watching this gorgeous production, I couldn't help but wonder if anyone will ever dare to create a Giselle stripped of all its romantic keystones. I just can't help feeling that a story about an innocent girl who dies of a broken heart, only to save the life of the very man responsible for her undoing, is so very un-2016. And I've never found Hilarion's death to be satisfying, even if his bid for Giselle's heart was unfounded. Not lying has to count for something.

>Canonical traditions aside, I don't think it would hurt for someone to create a Giselle for a 21st-century audience that understands and appreciates the limitations of a romantic aesthetic.

Though my worry is that if someone tried to do a "revised" Giselle they would do something like James Kudelka's Swan Lake, where it almost seems edgy for the sake of being edgy... gang rape! every male character is a rampant misogynist! so dark and cool!

late but here's the bedroom pas de deux from 'Marie,' between Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI.

youtube.com/watch?v=va39peyPuyM

Depends on what you're listening to, really. There's plenty of really shitty metal out there, and even a lot of the technically complex stuff is pretty shit because they're complex purely for the sake of being such (looking at you, Dragonforce).

On the other hand, there's several prog/prog metal bands out there that seem to follow the complexity of classical music while actually having some substance to it as well. Off the top of my head, Dream Theater's a fairly good example.

The only thing worse than a blind hip hop hater is a backpacker.

bump

Stand up comedy is it for me.
When a person gets up there and exposes everything about them self just for a laugh, there is something amazing about it.
There is also the platform for social critique, however that is found in most arts I believe the intimacy of sharing one's perspective on stage in that way is unique.

thanks, that was excellent

nothing beats a good pas de deux

I listen to a lot of different music, country and blues more than anything else. I ain't no fucking backpacker, faggot

/thread.

Contemporary ballet is awful, it's a completely new form of art that bears little resemblance to ballet from the centuries preceding it. Ballet used to be an expression that said something, like dialogue in a play; ballet today just cares about being visually impressive, it's become a completely narcissistic art that robots would perform better than human beings.

I can't believe I actually kind of agree with Constantine. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it has become worse (there is still some good stuff being made) but I never realized that it has become more of a visual art than a narrative art

why are you consistently wrong in your opinions on art

Excessive lifting is one of the things that killed ballet. Judicious lifting is great, but it's gotten to the point that it's neurotic and makes it all look like a circus performance instead of an expression. Lifting should be reserved to express ecstasy or fury or some other very overwhelming emotion, but nowadays it's done without any sense of that, it's used as punctuation.

Goddamn Balletshiters, you ruined Wagner.

>I'd consider figure skating art similar to ballet or other types of dance, because it uses choreography and movement to create a specific performance.

I agree to an extent. I think it's fair to compare ice skating to dance, but only a few skaters have earned comparisons to ballet in their performances.

Have you ever seen a ballerina on ice?
I give you:

Oksana Baiul - 1994 Olympics Ex - The Swan

youtu.be/3bH0CAPzef8

what the fuck is going on here? Why is he naked, and where is his benis?

The ballet styles that developed in the 1950s-1960s are now considered "classical," but they bear little resemblance to ballet from the 1880s-early 1900s, which itself beared little resemblance to ballet from the early 1800s which beared little resemblance to ballet from the 1750s.. you get the idea. Ballet has changed immensely over the years. It will continue to change. Grow with it or get left in the dust.

Pancake tutus need to go away

"Current year" applied to art is such cancer.

How's that dust taste?

Like appreciating art for beauty's sake, instead of appreciating art for avant-garde's sake.

>implying contemporary ballet can't be beautiful
>implying contemporary ballet = avant garde

Lol! Chalky.

What's wrong with them? They allow you to see the legs so you can see what the ballerinas are doing. I understand that they might seem weird and historically inaccurate or whatever but they definitely have their place

>art is expression

please, no

"Avant-garde" is literally the the artistic version of "current year", and that is exactly what you are appealing to.

Contemporary ballet is *can* be beautiful at many points, but contemporary ballets,taken as integrated works, as wholes, seldom are.

No, of course, art does not express.

no it can but it's not a lesser form because it doesn't. it's not a lesser form because it forgoes beauty.

So you think poor prose is no less artful than good prose?

Also, can old style art be better than new? Perhaps even much better? Do you think that is possible? Or is new always preferable?

By your logic, no ballet is beautiful, because all ballet at one point was contemporary.

'artful' suggests a craft. obviously good prose is more 'artful' than bad prose because presumably more effort has gone into crafting it. it doesn't make it a lesser form of art, because 'artfulness' doesn't have much to do with capital-A 'Art'. but also to agree with this you have to think that poor prose can't purposely be crafted through the same kind of effort exerted in creating good prose.

also these are loaded terms. literature is a cultural product and as such can be measured by successes and failures in its (again, presumed) mission to adhere to rules of craft. 'poor prose' may be used to describe a work that does not adhere to the same rules, just as an apple may be called a 'poor orange'

All ballet was once contemporary; not all ballet was once *this* contemporary, which is the contemporary I'm referring to.

Here's a very positive review.

houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Houston-Ballet-s-Giselle-a-heartbeat-in-motion-8053645.php

I love the idea of adding a Willi to an early scene, not just for creepy effect but so that you know wtf the mother is talking about when she starts talking about the Willis later on.

>'artfulness' doesn't have much to do with capital-A 'Art'.
Except it does unless you assume a priori that whether or not something is art is entirely, completely and totally relative, with no conception being any more valid than any other, in which case you are sentencing the study to an eventual demise.

i don't know what 'better' means in terms of art since there doesn't seem to be a definition of art that remains unchanged from antiquity to the present, but i (try to) appreciate artwork on its own terms, according to the practices, society and theories of its time, since that provides (presumably) the most accurate way of assessing the work.

What you said is

>Contemporary ballet is awful, it's a completely new form of art that bears little resemblance to ballet from the centuries preceding it.

Yet you're ignoring that ballet has evolved dramatically and significantly multiple times throughout the centuries, to the point of completely altering what ballet is. So saying "contemporary ballet is awful because it doesn't resemble ballet from the 'centuries preceding it,' you are also saying ballet at these various points was awful, because it didn't resemble ballet from before, either.

>in which case you are sentencing the study to an eventual demise.

not really. if art exists it is studied. there's no way to conclude the study

>'poor prose' may be used to describe a work that does not adhere to the same rules, just as an apple may be called a 'poor orange'
But you can apply 'poor fruit' to either

This argument is boring.

Here's some Youtube videos of vintage ballet.

Geltzer & Tikhomirov pas de deux, circa 1913: youtube.com/watch?v=0YNpnbGmM5M

Paris Opera ballet, circa 1940: youtube.com/watch?v=bpoicDbCwlw

Valborg Borchsenius, 1906: youtube.com/watch?v=FYB5Mbd9jJI&list=PL36C8mkTeWNSeWfsxk6MtHtzxo_Z9eurZ

Pas de deux, 1902: youtube.com/watch?v=CPvoyu-QYG0&list=PL36C8mkTeWNSeWfsxk6MtHtzxo_Z9eurZ&index=2

yes in the way that we can say that verrocchio was a worse artist than da vinci, but it's harder to make a case for whether titian was worse than da vinci since they had completely different ideas about art

I know it has, but these evolution, judging from the records of choreography we have, were organic, even when drastic. Just like the staging of Shakespeare has evolved dramatically, you have multi-racial casts and different accents, and lines are sometimes delivered to in a way to *avoid* sounding like verse, in order to make them sound more realistic. But if you started delivering lines with every fifth word being yelled as a convention, and the actors looking away from each other most of the time, that would not be organic.

Once you destroy any possible yardstick for a criterion of what to study, you destroy the study as distinct. Because nothing defines it.

Which is preferable, notice there isn't a neurotic prevalence of lifts, but ballet was already in serious decline even then, with it being convention for dancers to not keep eye contact more a second or two at a time (which is very advisable in scenes conveying flirtation or shyness or fear or shame, but terrible as something constant).

What isn't "organic" about contemporary ballet? What is your yard stick for contemporary ballet? What is your yard stick for "organic"? Isn't it interesting that you define drastic changes to ballet in the past as ~organic~ and therefore okay, but drastic changes to ballet (which aren't even happening on any sort of broad scale, let's be honest) in the modern day is ~~~horrid~~~~.

I don't care for any of them, to be frank, but they are all certainly equally artful.

Someone took a video of the Ratmansky Act I Aurora entrance through the adagio.

youtube.com/watch?v=3wMnCLDmfJ0

If ABT doesn't officially record this production and release it I feel like I might die.