General Advice

If you were to give advice to anyone that wants to become fashionable what would it be?

In relation to shirts/tops and pants/bottoms always wear one tight one baggy... you never want a tight shirt with tight jeans or a baggy shirt with baggy jeans ;)

If you're trying to be fashionable and need to use the word fashionable then your not fashionable.

source - someone who isn't fashionable.

To have money cause that shit expensive

Lift weights. Repent of your homosexuality.

Take it slow and realise that it takes years of experimenting to get there if you're starting from scratch.

Throw away your whole wardrobe and start afresh.

If you look like shit when you're naked, start working out. Clothes should sublimate your body, not hide its imperfections. No need to become Veeky Forums though.

Do not buy expensive clothes right away, begin with cheap brands that offer good value (Uniqlo, COS, maybe Arket, H&M premium and studio, etc). Forget about shitty cheap brands though (regular H&M, Zara and Bershka, etc). You may only go back to those once you have enough experience to cherry pick the few actual bargains they can offer.

Don't try to find your own style right away. Start with plain basics. Pay attention to fabrics. Most importantly, try out a lot of different models and cuts and find out what fits your body type.

Going to shops only to try clothes on without buying anything is a good way to do it faster.

Once you will be able to consistently dress great with cheap basics, you may start to fuck around with more expensive brands, stronger pieces and/or proportions if you feel like it. That's the stage where you finally have the foundations to experiment and to try to find your own style.

Also I'd even add : acknowledge that you dress like shit. Even when you're proud of your fits, keep in mind that a few monthes later you'll think it was garbage.

But don't let it get under your skin : it is normal to dress awfully bad. Literally normal. Most people don't have a clue what they're doing and don't get shit for it. And fucking up your experiments is the only true way to learn and progress.

And my personal piece of advice : don't get emotional with your clothes. They are meaningless things. If something does not fit you or does not belong in your wardrobe and you know it, throw it away. Even if it was an expensive purchase or if it was a gift. Don't cling to your mistakes or you will stagnate.

lift
get fit, not BIG
Slim clothes unless going for a comfy look
Hair isn't that important
be comfortable and confident
no graphic tees
don't try too hard to look mature

My god, he's right

KISS
keep it simple, stupid

The fit of an item is most important. If it doesn't fit your body it WILL look like shit no matter how much money you spend. So find a good tailor or learn to do your own alterations.

Thanks Alex Jones

>Hair isn't that important
???

lose weight

Do you ever want a tight shirt and baggy pants tho.. lol

work out

just dont be autistic about it like Veeky Forums

drink water

how I dress in the gym. tight tank and baggy sweat or track pants.

tight sweat pants anf tight track pants are for cockmonglers

try 5 piece french wardrobe method.

build ou wardrobe with quality, classic basics and limit yourself to buying only 5 pieces of clothing/accessories/shoes per season, as this allows you to evaluate better what you really need and fits well and also goes with the rest of your basics while saving u a lot of money from impulsive shopping.

yeah he couldn't be more wrong

hair and shoes says it all
-Rick "The Dick" Saturnino Owens-Garcia

stop looking up to anime characters to build your sense of style, fucking larper.

keep it simple but smart

>And my personal piece of advice : don't get emotional with your clothes. They are meaningless things. If something does not fit you or does not belong in your wardrobe and you know it, throw it away. Even if it was an expensive purchase or if it was a gift. Don't cling to your mistakes or you will stagnate.

YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!!!!

If someone just wants very simple rules that are "safe" :

dont be overweight
wear properly fitting clothes
wear monocolor clothes - no grapics/patterns
wear complimentary colors, and if you dont know what that is then wear at most 1 item with color and the rest white/grey/black

>good value (Uniqlo, COS, maybe Arket, H&M
im vomiting

good value != good quality

read read read the sticky for this board.

- unless you want to wear a certain colored piece often, try to stay to monochromatic. Wear blacks, whites, greys etc. They go with anything, in all seasons. But this is just my personal preference I guess.

- never buy things you don't plan on wearing regularly. save the money on buying lots of cheap occasional wear and instead buy good quality pieces that you can/want to wear for years without getting annoyed by them.

- do not buy in trends. buy things that YOU like and which fit to YOUR persona. Everyone has their own ' signature style'. Things that fit you better than most other people. (Example: some guys look great in blazers and fine pants, but look shit in leather jackets and jeans etc.) Find the signature style that works for you and stick to it. Build around it. This may seem monotonous to you at first, but you will grow into it over time.

- NEVER buy expensive, heavily stylized pieces from designers, unless they fit perfectly into your personal 'signature' style. 90% of the items you find on grailed are people who spontaneously bought stuff that doesn't fit them. Better stick to basic, established cuts and materials when in doubt. (Example: Don't buy a leather jacket with many pockets and zippers as your first, but start basic with something like a cafe racer)

- Don't buy basics from designers. They are virtually the same product you get from asos & co, just with 10x the price. From designers you buy outerwear and shoes. Everything else from cheaper sources.

- try to maintain a small but high quality closet of clothes you can mix and match without much thought. (see: signature style) Have something for every season ready. Focus on summer and winter.

- Lastly, this goes without saying, but buy smart. Be rational. Disregard brand names and prices. Pay attention to fabrics, textures and cuts. Try things on, see how different fabrics drape on your body and learn. Find a trustworthy tailor near you. Small alterations can make a huge difference.

cuff the jeans cuff the bitches

each different style of jacket projects its personality onto you. ie. if you always wear a M1 infrantry style pockety jacket, it makes you look like someone who is a "grinder", a pawn, a member of infantry, the front line. a Bomber jacket makes you look like a Pilot, flying high, swooping into a situation and leaving, out for a thrill, but precise, and maneuverable. a Nautical jacket, makes you look like the captain of a ship, reserved, contemplative, has some sense of direction.

motorcycle jacket, makes you look like you want to "ride", glide, but with a certain pugnacity, a need to be "free" from the confines of an enclosed vehicle. a rebel/"rocker" (cliche)

same goes for boots, if you wear only docs, or combat style boots, then it makes look like a "grinder", someone who toughs things out, and isnt afraid to rush the enemy

construction style, makes you look like a builder, a craftsman, regimented, has the plan and just needs to get to work

chelsea style, refined, but utilitarian, easy and simple, no nonsense. wants to be looked at, but still fit into the surroundings.

I don't know what you just smoked but I need you to tell me where I can get some

>- Don't buy basics from designers. They are virtually the same product you get from asos & co, just with 10x the price. From designers you buy outerwear and shoes. Everything else from cheaper sources.
>I have literally no idea what I'm talking about

Shhh don't burst his bubble, let him be happy

Well, then come and elaborate how much of a pleb I am. Let me guess... the plain white cotton t-shirts from Rick for 400 dollars are so much better in quality than cheap ones, right?

There is a point of diminishing return. Fabric quality and fit are worth the extra money. For example, pima cotton has a superior feel and will last through many more wash cycles. A well constructed tee will look and feel a lot better. However, the difference between a 10 dollar tee and a 40 dollar tee may be great, but the difference between a 40 dollar tee and an 80 dollar tee, probably not so much. What needs to be determined is when you are paying for the product, and when you are paying for the name on it.

buy on sale
anything under 130 is pretty good
They are seriously really nice.
t. owns two and won't buy more but they are n i c e

Never take advice from this board

Well great, you really showed me here.

Honestly it's people like you who feed these greedy fucks with your own stupidity and thus cranking up prices more and more. Even spending 130 on a t-shirt, a fucking t-shirt (!) is nothing but retarded.

Unless you're rich and/or careless, basic items like t-shirts and longsleeves can be considered 'waste' products, because you wash them often, they have most contact to your body and general friction and thus get rekt the fastest. (and no, this will not change significantly between a t-shirt for 20 and a t-shirt for 400, don't lie to yourself) If you spend that kind of money on IMHO irrational pieces, go ahead, but don't talk like you have 'such an acquired, fine taste' or whatever and shit on people for being more conscious about their spending, not to spend the amount of a small 2nd hand car on a t-shirt made in a sweatshop by Chinese workers located in Italy.

We've had this conversation countless times on here and it always comes down to the same shit. So go ahead, tell me what a pleb I am for not appreciating these exquisite 400 dollar t-shirts, how I don't understand the sensitive artist that Rick is, and most importantly how I'm just spewing nonsense because I'm 'too poor'. Oh wait.... ...nevermind, you already did.

>garcia
????

You rudely (you)d me to basically say exactly what I was saying. No, 100 dollar tees are not worth it, I agree.

/thread

No, but there are not only huge differences in materials, but in patterns, quality of finishing, age of the garment in question etc. that comes in to play, you should visit some fabric stores just to get some perspective to things, the difference in prices for simple cotton jersey varies a lot because there are so many different qualities. And for example Rick who you mentioned, actually actively develops the fabrics with the mills that produce them because how fabric behaves is huge thing on his clothing. Just on the fabrics alone, you don't get the same things from cheap brands.
And the contemporary high fashion scene is essentially built on 'quality basics' that the fashion houses offer, the consumers want good shit and there is enough competition that you get fucked if you offer garbage.
Basically if you ever wondered the reasons why Helmut Lang is considered a genius, he saw that the future of fashion houses will be based a lot on that 'quality basic' concept and was one of the first to make it his main selling points, also partially why he is often labeled under 'minimalism'

And as far as clothing cost goes, you actually get 'less' for your money if you buy fast fashion shit, the cost of the fabrics, creating the pattern, actually sewing it and flying the damn garment all the way from Asia to your local fast fashion store is fraction of what you pay for it, so essentially the percentage of profit per bought garment is ridiculously good for those stores.
With brands that cost more, they simply don't have enough consumers, the capital and the established network to produce with the volume to get the price of single garment so ridiculously low.

And not that the cheaper things are shit, if they are good enough for you and that's where your standards are, that's fine and by all means follow the advice you gave but what I'm saying is that
>They are virtually the same product you get from asos & co,
Is straight up horse shit

Any advice to keeping a small wardrobe? I often find myself buying too many of the same articles in different colors.

Rick T-shirt is a bad example.
Lemaire black pants and white achilles/margiellas are good.

Holy shit user you're completely beyond help. I bet you'd purchase a napkin made from Rick's used toilet paper because of the exquisite garment quality of his shit residue embedded in it. Funny thing is you may one day look at back at the (You) of today and remember what a naive victim you were and how much cash you burned for this crap.

If you are the user I'm responding to, I hope you see the irony here
>Well, then come and elaborate how much of a pleb I am
You aren't actually saying anything worthwhile or of insight, maybe do some research, like I said for starters, just visit few fabric stores to gain perspective.

if you buy from designer keep the materials & cut in mind a lot. Thats what makes these pieces worth their price imo. that they're unique.

- be at least 6ft
- get proper weight
- no obnoxious branding
- fit is the most important thing
- take it slow; don't spend too much money in the first year or so. Your style will change a lot.
- only buy pieces that you love, not just like

Make sure that you never ever look tryhard. Completely kills the fit. It has to look natural, easy, comfortable.

I'd like some input on this subject too.

Beforehand :

Keep a list of what you actually need. Never buy anything that is not on it.To know what you need, all you have to do is to pay attention when you have trouble dressing yourself. For instance if it is difficult to put warm outfits together in winter, you may need more sweaters and/or heavy pants.

Sometimes you'll run into something that you really want to buy even though it is not on the list. When you're on the verge of getting an unnecessary piece, wait it out. Wonder whether you'd rather be given this piece or the amount of money it costs. Wonder whether you would be able to wear it often. If you still want it after a week or so, you may treat yourself and buy it.

afterwards :

Have two separate closets.

Put everything you have into the first closet. Everytime you wear a piece from this closet, transer it to the other one. After a month or so, look at what's left in the first closet and do it again.

This way, you will eventually notice which pieces you almost never wear. Get rid of them.

(of course take into consideration the weather, it is normal not to wear raincoats for monthes if the weather is always sunny)

The interchangeable wardrobe (warning: meme) allows you to have a small wardrobe with many outfits. You focus on basics such as dark blue jeans, black jeans, a white shirt, light blue shirt, navy sweater/sweatshirt and a black sweater/sweatshirt. This is easily done if you're aiming for a smart business style wardrobe, because white shirts go with almost everything.

>small
A very subjective word. I have three pairs of jeans, four pairs of trousers, three pairs of shorts, six shirts, two polo's, three sweaters, three sweatshirts, a hoodie and about twelve t-shirts. I consider this a very comfortable size between small-medium.

just

If what you guys are saying is true, then you should be able to purchase double-layers T-shirts or the large silhouetted shoes that Rick Owens has to offer. Provide some examples of these 40$ double-layers. You may argue that something like Jordan 1's High Tops are similar to Rick Dunks but are they really? To me the remaining price tag goes to the creating and development of the ideas themselves, which could be any sum determined by the creator.

Or just wear clothes that fit well to begin with . . .