Why aren't you working in the fashion industry?

Why aren't you working in the fashion industry?

Because I love myself, user.

I'm not gay

Because I hate myself and everyone

I bring the bad vibes man. Evil Eye on everyone.

Who said I don't?

I work in advertising for the fashion industry, if that counts.

how did you get into it?

I was a graphic designer who worked a few different agencies. I transitioned to a senior design role, and eventually to an art director role.

After doing that for a while I was put in charge of the fashion account, so now I do that.

For the record, I had no real interest in fashion before being put on this account, and to be honest, I still don't really.

Man, I don't know whether to envy you or not. You probably make much better money than I do, but that type of agency work can be soul crushing.

I'm a graphic designer too, but I was a bit traumatized starting out at some terrible agencies with some terrible people. Now I work in UX making educational games. The company is good and the benefits are nice but the actual pay is so much lower and there's no real upward-mobility opportunities in the company.

I'd really love to get an internal art director job at a big brand, but those are so few and far-between that you have to really stand out (aka having connections) to get them.

>extremely niche
>no money unless favorable with established jews
>gay af
>age dependent (rip if 25+)

???
You know nothing you freaking idiot. You'll not get a decent pay under 25.
Most important reason NOT to work in MOST fashion houses is that it is very exploitive industry and you need to do several shitty internships and few real positions for which they refuse to pay a real salary before you'll get a real well paying job. That is if you can handle some years of abusive bosses. So no, not interested.

If you're working as consultant it's ok though.

I feel for you.

I was in tech before this, and it burnt me out after just a few years. It was a constant rush of the "newest and coolest thing", but there was a lack of self awareness that the fashion industry seems to have.

The money is okay, less than I was making in tech, but I have my sanity.

If you do good work and aren't an asshole, you can usually work your way into whatever industry you want. Couldn't hurt to try for it and see how you feel.

I'm not gay

>Ewwwww, no way! I'm not gaaaaay!

Must be 18 or older to post, etc etc.

You guys do realize there are jobs in fashion that do not pertain to being a flamboyant stereotype of a model or a designer? No? Photography, promotions/coordinators, studio accounts/management, event management, Audio-Visual techs/engineers/installers, video editors, salespeople, directors, distributors, the list goes on...

Because I'm getting my degree in Fashion Merchandising first.

hey, same here bud, what school? :0

Well I just finished high school and I haven't done uni yet, so I don't have the qualifications. I'm thinking about taking some sewing classes at the local community college in my gap year, but I don't really want to do design. I would like to get a job in the fashion industry but I feel like it wouldn't be lucrative unless you were either a designer or a high level manager/exec.

you're on Veeky Forums, of course you are.

I'd pick something you enjoy doing and try to tailor it to the fashion industry (pun only semi-intended).

Like said, there are a ton of people doing work that aren't designers or models. In fact, the odds of you doing either are pretty low, and if you don't really like the design side of things, I'd avoid it.

Most of the people I work with (I'm this guy ) have no vested interest in the fashion industry, but we all found ourselves working on it anyway.

Account directors, project managers, advertisers, photographers, set builders, 3D modeling, the list goes on.

The nice thing about doing something not super specialized is that you can also jump to a new industry if you find you hate fashion. I hated tech, and had I stayed with programming like I'd originally planned (because everybody kept saying, WOW SO MUCH MONEY THERE) I'd have been stuck.

But I do... as a retail slave in a shitty store.

Kent State University

Because I used to.

It's toxic and (in a majority of positions) low paying when compared to positions of a comparable skill set in other industries.

To succeed in most positions in the fashion industry you need to be exceptionally good looking and a very shitty person.

It's an industry that structurally cannot give a shit about the people working in it. Because it sells products, not services. When it has a bad year (like the last two years) the first thing to take a hit are the people who are not either C level executives or celebrity designers.

Contrary to what all the gen-x imbeciles want you to believe, no one is going to pay you to do a hobby or pursue your interests. Thats why most of them are paid peenuts or are 'independent freelancers', ie. unemployed
A job is a job. Pick a career to qualify for not an interest, you dont need qualifications to pursue a hobby