"What's that you're studying?"

>"What's that you're studying?"
>"Oh I'm just trying to pick up a new language."
>"So you like the culture of the people that speak it? Their books and movies and stuff?"
>"Haha nah, I just like the way the language is constructed."

Is this the humanities' own breed of autism?

Are loaded questions your preferred mode of conversing?

No

>learning a language because you like the culture

How much of a cuck can you be?

other than the real definition of cuck (cuckholding), in what terms do you use cuck. What do you mean by cuck?

This doesn't make any sense

Nationalistic metaphor for cuckoldry? I don't know.

Anyways, human language is fascinating and complex. It's not their fault that OP is a fucking philistine who can't enjoy both.

>learning any other language but British English

Literally, why? You never need anything else.

It's easy to learn languages for some. It requires little effort to learn a new one after you've worked your way around what's important to know as a foundation. The feeling of achievement is great, you get a whole new perspective of thinking and communicating, it's incredibly refreshing.

Just stay away from mandarin.

>being this much of an impure pleb that you can't learn to appreciate things only for their essence
KYS

>shaming people for learning new things

You are the cancer killing this world.

I was actually looking up a few words in japanese to shitpost, and realized that if I pick up some basic vocab, I can contextually learn grammar through anime.

You don't need English if you don't live in a English speaking country
Also if you're going to go down that route American English is far more useful

You're doing it wrong moron. If you pick up some basic grammar, you can contextually learn vocab through anime. You know, that's how languages are learned.

I picked Mandarin mostly because of the characters and the fact that it is a tonal language. Weird nerdy reasons. But to be honest I find China mostly rather depressing, struggle finding interesting content to read, so I often wonder was starting to learn the language such a good idea. It's different with Japanese since I had a good time learning it. But I've studied Mandarin too much to give up at this point, and I have this obsession that if I'm going to learn a language, I must learn it to a very high level.

How difficult are the tones in your opinion? I kinda want to try learning Mandarin but I'm afraid getting used to the tones will be impossible.

I've had little chances actually speaking Mandarin so I don't really know how difficult it would be for me to pronounce the tones naturally in a normal conversation without thinking about them too much. I think I've learned to hear them fairly well though.

I'm personally also skeptical that the tones are as important for communicating as many make them to be, which is not to say that I would recommend ignoring them.

>>"Haha nah, I just like the way the language is constructed."

There's literally nothing wrong with this.

Fuck you.

>American English
Americans don't even leave their own country. you will never converse with Americans outside of the United States - you will be more often made fun of by commonwealth or ex-commonwealth country anglophones who giggle behind your back when you say "tomaytow" or spell mum with and "o". It's like choosing to have a handicap for the rest of your life without a single good reason.

>inb4 American films are a good reason

take your memes back to /pol/, we don't think you're funny here

>if you don't live in an English speaking country
Well I don't like living with barbarians in mud huts. I'll stick to English speaking countries