Starting a Shoe company

hey Veeky Forums starting a shoe company based in NYC, would like some opinions on a pair of casual wear/skate shoes I developed

any feed back appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o6MYyMJm3dM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I like it

make them comfortable

I would remove the side graphic and replace the tongue embroidery with a tag. I'd remove the tag on the side as well. Thinner laces or even strings would look better, and having them match the sole would be more aesthetically pleasing. It's not a unique shape, so make wild colorways and sell them at a fair price.

send a pair my way senpai
i'll do the first ever review

Stop making this thread. Your shoe is derivative and uninspired, especially your "logo".

gonna be tough to call your skate shoe 5 Boroughs when there's already a skate brand from NYC called 5boro

also your graphic looks kinda busy, its not gonna look great when people are going fast af wearing them in a skate video

Sorry senpai, but your graphic is ugly. Do what says and some people might cop it

This is the first time I've seeing it and the guy just asked for opinions calm down backseat mod.

Also Nike has a checkmark for a logo and Adidas has Three Stripes. If you ask me, those are uninspired logos so anything can become goat

Nike swoosh is actually pretty inspired and Adidas stripes are classic. Both are iconic. This just looks like a simple mess that won't stand out.

A check mark isn't inspiring and three stripes are just that.

Neither of the two started out iconic either, they got their current standing in sneaker culture over time. Which is why I said anything can become a good logo

It's not a check mark, it's a swoosh and is meant to convey the motion of running. Although, part of the design is meant to be a bit similar to the positive connection of a check mark. But the inspiration derives more from the wings of the Greek God Nike, the namesake of the company. It may seem uninspiring to you now, but it was unique for when it came out as most shoe logos were designed to incorporate the details of the shoe's contruction itself and blend in with the overall design, and the Nike swoosh rather being something that clearly stood out and was the focus of the shoe.

Adidas you can argue is uninspired, but at this point it's so longstanding and iconic that it doesn't matter how arbitrary it is

Proven my point exactly, Nike's swoosh (which for all standards of measure is just a check mark renamed for copyright and legal purposes) isnt inspired. you had to go on a topic of explaining it's origin, something anyone with a logo can do, also to note. You're incorrect about every company besides nike having the logo be separate from the construction of the show itself. Onitsuka Tiger had long since designs where their logo did not connect to he build of the sneaker itself and to remind you of this history. Nike's first sneaker was a stolen Tiger design for the creation of the Cortez.

The Adidas stripes did connect to the contraction of their shoes however and the logo is uninspiring and only resonates because of the rich iconic history same as Nike.

They did not start out as Titans with perfect logos and perfect marketing so this guy can do the same

Full blown retard

Nice rebuttal

All we're really doing is arguing over semantics. I think Nike's logo is inspiring, you do not. That's okay that we disagree.

Those companies didn't start off with perfect branding, but they started up in a total different era. Today, branding is more important than the quality of the product itself. If you don't stand out, then nobody is going to care. And I don't think OP's design is going to cut it.

You've made this thread too many times. Your shoes are not interesting. You can sell this to immigrants in sanctuary cities if you're lucky

I love you, bye

I agree to disagree as well. I feel in a world where you are right the branding itself means more than the product. Op may have a chance since this image caught my eye with a new fresh look on the sides.

you already made this thread like a few weeks ago and my answer is the same now as it was then. this looks like nothing really special and your logo is a bit of a mess. nothing about this shoe stands out to me at all.

Here, inspire yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=o6MYyMJm3dM

that design is fucked for skateboarding

ok for a start 5boro is already a nyc skate brand. The toe cap is grim and looks like a chunky chode. Maybe if the sole grip crept up the front like an air force 1 it could be saved. the logo is disgusting and you have used bauhaus 93 font from microsoft word 2003.

The sneaker is named 5boroughs, not the brand itself. So we won't run into any legal troubles

Bretty alright nephew. 7.5/10

besides your ugly shoe, a large part of your problem here is your entire ethos and approach.

you will never "shitpost/argue on Veeky Forums" your way into having people like and buy your product

if you ask for opinions and then post an 8 paragraph essay rebutting each opinion you don't like, that doesn't help your brand. that doesn't help your standing. that doesn't make you look professional, in control of yourself, or in control of your brand.

it makes you look like an amateur who knows his products and designs are inferior, and so has to go on tirades on oceanic bbq beef boards in order to maintain his fragile self-concept.

okay imagine gucci releases a crappy product, as they sometimes do. often they release good products, sometimes even great products, but sometimes they release a really crappy product too. when that happens, when they release something subpar, do you think their creative directors go on trolling rampages online defending the product desperately?

absolutely not. because gucci understands that they need to keep their image above the fray. to gucci, arguing about what's good and bad is for a lower tier of person--the mark, the consumer, the pleb who is trying to access some of gucci's mystery and allure by buying the product, or by shitting on it. gucci couldn't care less one way or the other, or at least that's the image they know they need to maintain.

whereas you are here making a fool of yourself.

Insanely ugly, looks like the sort of dud misprint you'd see donated to African warzones.

What are you talking about? The op never made himself known.

I'm actually offended that you continue to push this shoe "design" on us expecting that we'll appreciate your work and cheer you on. You clearly do not skate if you think that shoe looks fit to ride, which tells me that your streetwear "brand" is just trying to bite skate culture for a quick buck. I hope you rush into production and lose all of your investors' (parents') capital. Maybe failure will teach you the value of authenticity.

>shoes I developed
>felt Vans x Stans with clown toe and oversized, ugly logo
>developed
What did he mean by this?

Samefag

>it's im-p-possible f-for more than one p-person to dislike my genius creation

dude get a grip

Im not op dude. But thanks for that confirmation

nigga stop fucking posting this thread, your shoes look exactly like pumas, without good branding your shoes will go nowhere and it doesn't help they look so basic to the point where to blend in wit others and in the end theres nothing special about it even if you add a cool design

if you're serious about your shoe company you need to do something completely off the fucking rails and hope to god that it works

this thread has been posted every other day

Not the guy but...
>Good branding

Please define "good branding", cause im sure every company that ever existed justifies good branding as saying the up most positive stuff to make you buy.

shouldn't u be handing these out to high-risk juvenile delinquents in the streets?

nobody knows if ur shoes are good or not until we see them in the skate videos!

>Forgetting the Adidas trefoil and badge of sport

looks like shit

It didn't start out iconic did it? No? Ok then.

who holy shit dude sick burn on Veeky Forums.org/fa

i want to buy your shoes now

Im not the op dumbass.

It became iconic because it's actually a good and instantly recognizable logo.

durability my guy

>bauhaus93
not sure about the text/decals but the shoe itself is quite nice desu

legit criticism incoming.

Logo is too intricate to become as iconic as something like nike or adidas.
>it doesn't start off an iconic design
This may be what you're thinking, and that's true. That logo however is huge and intricate enough to not be memorable. It's not subtle nor aesthetically pleasing from a fashion standpoint. That's fine if you just want to be a skate brand, people will most likely buy them regardless, if they're decent quality. It's not fine if you want to be something as recognizable as nike/adidas/puma/newbalance etc.
Having the brand (or maybe it's the title of the shoe? dunno) written alongside the logo that largely is not good design. Large visible text is a fashion faux pas. Having the logo twice (on the tongue and the side of the shoe) is cluttered as well.

My suggestions.
>smaller, less intricate logo. If the logo is already set in stone just make it smaller.
>remove branding on tongue or put it on a white cloth/canvas patch that is sown on, think Nike SB Janoski. Those are popular for a reason.
>Remove text from side of shoe completely

At this point it would be nice enough looking that it might catch on outside of skateboarding. Some other suggestions (although not sure if you can actually do anything about it because new company) but the shoe design itself is very basic. Nothing stands out about it to me, it looks alright but feels like a knockoff of Etnies/Emerica/Adidas/etc skateboarding lowtops.

Basically, the brand symbol should not be the focal point. The shoe itself should stand out enough for you to (after having seen it enough times) be able to know what brand it is by design alone, and then the logo is the little detail, the icing on the cake that confirms your suspicions that it was what you thought it was.

im going to be honest. theres too many failing footwear companies. there is nothing special about your show and there isnt anything that would make me wear it over, say, an adidas gazelle or diesel or lacoste low top.

the real thing is you need to develop a marketing campaign. you got to market it to a certain group of people, like, say, hipsters. there are shit loads of hipsters on all 5 boroughs of new york (on staten island theyre all in st. george or tompkinsville, you go more south its jordan wearing old brooklyn trash that wont be interested in your shoe). you need to develop a campaign that will cater to those people and that they will remember. dont be afraid to cross lines. you also need to advertise at places where hipsters would typically patronize or live. like put up posters on construction walls, in hole in the wall bars or coffee dives. in your advertisements make these shoes be worn with some pretty awesome, trendy fits that will accentuate and go together with the shoes. talk about how only "true new yorkers" wear this shoe, or how the shoe is quintessentially new york or whatever. make it sound appealing to whoever you want wearing it. put things, people and sayings in your advertisements that are quintessentially "new york" etc.

thats the best i can do for you. most of the reason why shoe companies today have gotten famous or are still famous is because of advertising and marketing. people will remember your shoe if they remember your advertisement.

i'd rather wear some puma suedes than those things.

the graphic is too busy, the text on the shoe doesn't work at all (is that fucking bauhaus font), the color scheme is awful, the silhouette is completely uninspired, and it just looks cheap as fuck.

i also skate a bit and i wouldn't skate in those at all, they look uncomfy and they look like they'd fall apart after a couple kickflips.

try again bud

samefag

dude i replied to one of your previous threads, and tbqh, this silhouette is pretty uninspired, and pretty much everything on the shoe is shite and barely distinguishes your shoe from any other bland ass shoe that would be found in a payless shoe store.

this is the kind of shoe immigrants wear because they are either poor or just dont know what is cool or looks good

on another note, this board is indeed here to discuss all things fashion related, but your shoe is the reason why people come here, and trust me it's not a good reason. your product is the type of thing that repulses people away from mainstream "normie" fashion or whatever, and makes them want to dress better.

you are not at the right place if you want support

lurk more, or just leave you hopeless gaylord