MIS (Management for Information Systems)

Anyone here major in this in college?

What jobs are typically available in this position.

About to be a sophomore as an accounting major but might switch to MIS major

Other urls found in this thread:

au.linkedin.com/in/piya-shedden-1997879
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Analyst
>Consultants
>Project management
>Given the impact that technology is having, the knowledge taught is pretty sought after.
IS is pretty underrated DESU

Do you know the typical salary? i can look it up but some websites are unreliable, but just for reference i'm from CT

One thing about this is a lot of people say CS is always better than MIS but in certain jobs that you mentioned, MIS is more valuable bc being able to code isn't as valuable as taking the data and making it coherent, the reason why accountants still exist

bump

literally just pick a major

I graduated with an MIS major (BS in Business Admin) in 2013. Software dev.

Almost anything is better than accounting. Horrible hours, never make more than 60k

Would recommend an IS degree then? I'm planning to become a systems analyst.

I'm actually in your boat as well, I'm looking into a Data Analytics major

There was an user I was talking to about a week ago in r9k who makes about 100k/yr working management consulting with a 20k bonus

His starting was about 60k a year but he works about 70-80hrs a week

The whole Cs thing is a meme, yes it's a good degree, but you're learning about data structures, how compilers work, etc...

I don't quite get your point. Are you saying it's over or undervalued? I just don't see myself as a tech geek, and I'm only interested in tech insofar as it enables business desu. Plus I have a bunch of other interests I want to pursue. That's why IS has a bigger draw for me than CS does.

I just graduated uni in IS. It's a good degree but the thing is make sure you network and do IS related projects and skills. If you utilize IS correctly and learn the great skills it can offer in that field you can make bank.

Just learn about data and networking. I hate IT now cuz I'm currently working in IT helpdesk hell and it's burnt me and I'm trying to get out. Thinking of getting out of this field personally Cuz of my internship

By networking, do you mean computer networks or interpersonal networks?

how is the pay and hours for your job

Main reason why i don't want to do accounting

I think he means both as from my school, a lot of kids get good jobs bc of our school is amazing for networking and it wouldn't hurt to know how to network

my mom majored in this. immigrated from china. makes six figures now. works at cisco. then again she got the degree almost 20 years ago so idk if its relevant.

Did she get any certs?

Also what is her regular workweek like in hours

What about an IS degree in regards for usefullness in entrepreneurship?

Any good avenues to succeed?

I might be able to find you somthing. Iv'e got a chart someplace but its for Australia, Here these jobs have some of the highest starting wages, $60k +

Ill try find it

This is the one they showed us on induction, Obvously not all these fields are relevent but it give you a general idea.

IS has changed a lot from a few years ago, given the direction and impact that technology has on business these days they NEED people with this knowledge. My mate got a grad spot at Telstra starting at $75k increaing to every year for 3 years up to $95k

You cant really compare it to computer science, its more about being a subject matter expert in how you can apply tech to business needs etc. Being that bridge between IT and business but your not a sperglord who can communicate with management and people in general.

Also my degree requires me to complete an internship or I can not get my paper. For aussies the course is now ACS accredited for most unis.

anyway a good major or degree to study.

nice degree, your life will be plain sailing user. Managing information systems all day err day. And not slitting the wrists.

DON'T go into this major. I graduated from a top university in NY and it was really hard to find a job. People that get jobs are CS majors or engineers. If you're MIS they won't look at your resume twice if you don't have proper certifications. If you like being "the IT guy" go for it, but honestly one of my worst regrets. I'm not telling you to stay in accounting though, but you should try switching to something more challenging. Remember that +challenging=-people.

Cheers m8, that's intriguing. I'm doing MIS in Vic.

Yeah, the salary looks pretty good and the only thing I'm worried about is if its just a meme and you're thrown into helpdesk.

I mean, MIS is more valuable in the business parts as the difference between MIS and CS in my school is CS learns a lot more technical while MIS learns more practical. Therefore, while CS will be able to do a lot more computer wise than I ever will, I am passable, but I can actually communicate

What was your GPA and school

The MIS graduates I know don't do either helpdesk or programming shit. The ones that did well (ie good grades and internships) got positions with big four (PwC, Deloitte, E&Y, KPMG) firms. From what I know, their work entails strategy and policy, business analysis and the like rather than anything explicitly tech-related. Example: au.linkedin.com/in/piya-shedden-1997879

Something else to keep in mind (which is true in Australia at least, not sure about elsewhere) is that only about 1 or 2% of people working in IT have IT degrees.

If you intend to program, don't do MIS, but otherwise it's certainly a decent degree according to the investigation I've done.

yeah, i dont want to program. I don't mind it but I'd rather not do that for my future. I'd much rather think of how to fix an issue and what program would do it or just work in the general tech side of a business or company, somewhat of an IT role

Yeah i have zero interest in programming and am more interested in planning, strategy, project management around applying tech to solve business problems etc.

I'm also doing IT electives but trying to decide between networking or security..

Cannot say this too often: Get certifications.
The degree is worthless without them. Even the certifications without the degree is better than the degree.

Cornell, 3.6

IDK how much this helps but I feel networking is better for MIS as security is much more for CS/CSE majors it seems while looking at it

What is wrong with you. theres no way that a big school like that and a GPA that good gets you no job lol. Kids at my school with 3.2 GPAs get 70k starting jobs

what do you mean by certifications?

Certified in certained programming languages or skills such as: C++, Java, Networking, etc

oh im 15 split between learning python or C++, I want to find a job in business related to engineering, what should i consider for degrees?

what do you want to do? You could do CS and minor in business or do MIS and minor in CS or double major in it idk

This seems to be true and repeated by others around the internet. BUT a lack of traditional degrees may eventually put a ceiling on advancement towards management tier.

I'm a recent high school graduate looking for a certification or type of program to let me save for my academic ambitions.

Those ambitions are also very liberal artsy. I've tried a learning in C class and I wasn't very good at it, and I didn't enjoy it a whole lot. I know this could be because of the teacher, but I'm not good at math in general.

I was thinking of IS but I'm not sure. I know I would like to use a computer and I have the drive in me to pick up new things.

Thanks majoring in CS or MIS and minoring in business would open the most doors. For what i want to do exactly im not sure. what college are you attending?

What is the difference between Management Information Systems and Computer Information Systems as a major?

If I'm majoring in this I am planning on getting certifications in certain things. Languages won't matter too much rather than important aspects such as networking and databases, but regardless, I'll go for it one way or another

Not positive, but based on the name, MIS deals more with the business side (analyst) while CIS is more technical

My best friend graduated with MIS, he got hired as a software dev and his company trained him in a few different languages. I highly doubt this is normal though, most likely you're just going to be an IT guy.

I had a different friend working at IBM as a techie and it's just troubleshooting networks. Unplugging routers and re-plugging them back in (lel)

Accounting in a small firm or non-big4 is actually not bad, I know a few people in it. All serious business jobs are going to require 48+ hour weeks so don't let that turn you off of accounting.

I'd rather stick to a 40 hr week but 50 isn't too bad. Its just I don't want to do 60-70 a week for months on end

Got my masters in MIS, got a job as a Business Intelligence ETL developer. 67k starting, got a bump up to 76 after a year. Kinda coasting for now but hope to start putting some time into continuing education and training.

Yeah im interested in getting involved in BI, i can pretty much do SQL and have the MS cert in database admin, any tips or other things I could learn that would help?

Accounting makes a big difference in your ability to understand the data and how reports should work.

Cool, Ive also done bus stats, analytics and business intelligence as core units. ETL seems to be where juniors start.

You're dead wrong about accounting. I have a friend who is actually quite dumb (I'd be surprised if he scored 100 on an IQ test) and, after working quite a few years, was made comptroller of a business unit. The job pays $160,000 in a relatively low cost of living part of the country.

Furthermore, a lot of accounting positions do not get sent to India because of the sensitive nature of the data. I have dealt with offshored, Indians doing some sort of accounting work (A/P primarily) but when it comes to churning the revenue and profit numbers of the company, I never see Indians.

Also, again due to the sensitive nature of the data, most accountants get their own offices and are spared the "camaraderie" of cube farms and open-areas.

I work in software development and it's my opinion that accountants are treated far better than technical staff.

This is only true if you want to work for real companies that actually have smart people in them. Hard-core start-ups that might become the next Google.

If you work for the typical large corporation whose core business is not software, say P&G or an oil company, the people in the company are too fucking stupid to know that an MIS degree is a pale shadow of a computer science degree.

The MIS major should have the higher GPA to boot over a CS major due to the easier curriculum so you should get a leg up in landing an interview and getting hired The big, dumb companies rely very heavily on GPA because they typically have very poor processes for knowing who's capable and who's not capable.

I disagree with this. I have zero certifications (work in the software industry) but I do have advanced degrees in an engineering discipline from a somewhat reputable school.

The reason I have no certifications is because I do not respect them. They're bullshit and too many idiots manage to pass the exams. You might as well trust a diploma from an overseas diploma mill.

I wouldn't say that MIS is a 'pale shadow' of CS. They're trying to do very different things.

I could tell you were a CS major at the start due to your incredible amounts of inflated self worth. Thanks for nothing

bump