/archistethics/

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/oct/17/china-north-korean-propaganda-paintings
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

disgusting

>doesn’t like cubism
>posts that
kys

>disgusting
>posts some generic boring shity city

Burano is handsdown the best place in venice

>kys
mean

why are you posting this hdr garbage??

all you posted so far is boring shit and you call brutalism disgusting? lel

shit
shit
eh
shit
shit
nice
shit
nice
nice
0 taste
okayish

fucking disgusting

thanks user :) you inspired me to post more

Is that the Venetian?? Lmfao

"i like oversaturated colors and pretend to like architecture even though none of the buildings I post were actually designed by an architect"

the only one that's disgusting is you

>le edgy brutalist minimalist 5 year old
woa :o

Oh fuck off you little faggot, why even create a thread if you're only going to post shit?

>i created the thread
this is your brain on brutalism weoah :)

Oh shit! What's up, Corbusier?

More like Van De Rohe

this is now a THE MAN thread

"I just love all this modern progressive architecture. Helps us get away from our intolerant bigoted ancestors and history."

oops

you can be butthurt about it or just accept that OPs pictures are objectively ugly

theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/oct/17/china-north-korean-propaganda-paintings

>posts nothing
this fucking board

>haha my opinion is truth, just accept it pal

>objectively

I love traditinal architecture so much

>traditional

not his pic, the ones he's being butthurt over

fuck off with this las vegas plastic fake ass bullshit

cheeky, I like it
GOOD shit
a bit too orange
sweet
while I admire the craftsmanship of gothic buildings they also tend to be a mess of competing masses, rooflines, and flying buttresses. Especially OG gothic, though you can't really blame the medieval folk for that.
meme but good
eh
I have a soft spot for Mayan revival but that's not a great example of it imo
not even the best example of Art Deco desu senpai

>a bit too orange

I like the mediterranean vibe it gives off

Looks cool on those pictures but I used to take the tram that passes directly in front of it and it looks quite ugly in person, plus it kind of sticks out in the middle of nowhere

dumping some thangs

rick joy's studio

lafayette park

might as well add some tom kundig

renzo's house in colorado

bordeaux law courts

landscape time. here's michel desvignes (sp)

vogt's park for novartis. unfortunately very little of this project is photographed from the ground

>there are modernists in this thread RIGHT NOW

Sunset Park Brooklyn

forgot pic

White Plains, Westchester County New York

Fort Langley British Columbia

Woodlands Vancouver BC

The Marine Building Vancouver

this has to be bait

old iconic western architecture is meme tier, anyone and their mom can appreciate them. They don't require any particularly special taste to admire them. The traditionalists that would rather keep every building made before 1900 than creating anything new are worse and way more annoying than the people you are refering to

This is beautiful but also hurts my eyes.

really good

dunno anything about it but it looks amazing

boring shit & normies out REEEEEE

pic related, its a modern day chapel. superior in every way

Weirdandshit

You fucks must be either Europeans who take their architecture for granted and can't appreciate it anymore, or architect majors

Wait until your country looks like the normal parts of America where everything is just modernism and some brutalism sprinkled in.
Endless repeating blocks of gray concrete or glass, pick one; and everyone will try to pretend it looks beautiful because it 'lets in lots of natural light', indeed light so wonderful on a cloudy day when the walls are cold and gray of concrete, the windows clear and borderless, and the sky wet, dark and rainy, how it liberates the soul to be so free of any color or pleasing shapes.

and Satan's back

>requiring "special taste" to admire them
literal beauty elitism.

nevermind the fact that architecture has to be onlooked by everyone who lives in its vicinity

I'm the user who posted FLW / Corbusier and some brutalism. you are absolutely right. in fact, I grew up in a city where architecture like in your picture is abundant.
I don't dislike it though; it's just that the pictures OP posted are utter dogshit. They don't try to distill what the architectural style and finesse brought to the building; they just seem tacky and oversaturated. I can and do appreciate some fancy roman pillars or a nice gothic cathedral.

by the way, calling FLW satan is offensive. delet this.

I can appreciate your points; to respond to some of them:
I only am taken aback when people call architecture similar to OP's pics "disgusting" or "boring". While I totally agree that those pumpedup oversaturated HDR photos are tacky as hell, I feel a message of the wrong consensus is being sent, that the architecure itself (or the aesthetic) is being denigrated.

Additionally, I was just meming at the end digits of fallingwateranon's post, and the fact that he said similar things to the others I had quoted, and was not attacking Falling Water itself; consider it delet'd.

That looks like dog food

are you retarded

underrated

>disrespecting Birmingham Central Library
nigga this is personal now

The epitome of suburban housing was the english detached house, no mass-housing before or since has ever matched it desu

*ca. 1930s, to be precise.

>art nouveau mixed in with neoclassicism, beau arts and gothic revival/OG medieval
one of these things is not like the other....

xD

Being a reactionery moron who only likes old architecture is on the same level of cringe as those people who only listen to classic rock or the beatles and insist all modern music is bad because of justin bieber and lil wayne

It's the same thing as being "that guy" that only wears ill-fitting suits and fedoras and posts memes about how swag is for boys and class is for men

Worst of all, it's kitschy. The person posting over-saturated pics of nuremberg thinks they're edgy and upholding some long western tradition that we've strayed from, but most of what they post are atrocities from the romantic era that are just soulless copies of older architecture. This betrays the fact that they know jack shit about architecture, and only fetishize what they perceive as a white, european aesthetic that probably has its origins in their teenage self escaping into medieval fantasy instead of going out socializing and losing their virginity. Instead, they pathologized that fantasy into a political ideology, much in the same way that they're attempting to intellectualize their shitty pedestrian taste in architecture into something grand and majestic when in reality they have the taste and political orientation of their grandma who sends them chain emails and fills their house with worthless reproduction china and "classy" furniture.

Compare it to the old building. You can't say that it looks better.

Eat my ass nigger.

Maybe some people legitimately prefer older architecture.

it does though. there are thousands of buildings that look just like the old one, why rebuild it instead of doing something exciting and new?

also the case here would be much stronger if these juxtaposition images weren't from a page ran by unironic nazis

Different doesn't mean better.

I like modern architecture sometimes but I find old architecture much more soothing and beautiful.

That pic you posted though is hideous. if you want good brutalism look at the SFU campus

>Liking things that look nice is bad
>Please look at this ugly as fuck thing I posted

>The Oculus

Personally, I'm not a fan. The Oculus is linked to The Brookfield Place which is a beautiful, by the books, office/retail space. There is a stark contrast between the two, but let's discuss it on its own.

The whiteness of The Oculus is going to be extremely interesting in terms of upkeep; the site itself is only a year old and it looks about as clean and sterile as it did on release. The amount of maintenance must be fucking mind blowing; repainting, constant cleaning, storefront changes, etc. The actual design of it is an interesting contrast to the new memorial, but it is pretty much a useless sculpture overhead of a useful mall entrance. The surprising thing is, the sculpture only looks noticeably ugly from a distance; up close it doesn't actually look bad. It looks relatively natural. From Freedom Tower? It looks fucking awful. Like some sort of centipede skeleton.

>Would a more traditional design have been better?
Honestly? Not really, it should have been more easily blended to the surroundings, but a more modern building was needed to match the memorial, but I do have serious doubts that the Oculus will look decent once maintenance slips up in a few years.

But you see that there still looks ugly you ding dang dong dumb cunt

just because something is a copy of something doesn't make it bad either

you can copy good things, to make more good things, like a printer 'soullessly copies' and prints great books

kek

When that house was undergoing that renovation, I dressed up like one of the workers and walked in to look around. True story. It's not worth telling anymore though because I lost the pictures.

Very cool
This thread needs more gardens

What do you mean juxaposition? It's completley accurate

posting some more content since all you Veeky Forumsggots do is bicker and fight