What is your opinion on wearing religious items for purely aesthetic purposes?

What is your opinion on wearing religious items for purely aesthetic purposes?

Other urls found in this thread:

nowtoronto.com/lifestyle/dsquared-apology-to-indigenous-peoples-late-and-meaningle/
youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9OhYroLN0
youtube.com/watch?v=4qlCC1GOwFw
youtube.com/watch?v=vjVkXlxsO8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=B3c8bVmeL6I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

everyone is a child of the lord whether they realize it or not so it's perfectly alright

Hey if you get triggered by it no skin off my nose

Tisci’s Givenchy has had tons of religious symbolism.

Even the stuff that was overkill was beautiful.

Wear what you like.

When you use something specific to a group and that has a significance to them, solely, for its looks you are signaling you have no intention to reach deeper than surface. It's pure vanity, it's shallow.

You say that because you’re only thinking of western religion.
You’d probably balk at the idea of incorporating Native American or native African religious symbols in your clothing, as indeed would the corporations who might produce them.
nowtoronto.com/lifestyle/dsquared-apology-to-indigenous-peoples-late-and-meaningle/

How can you wear something like that for "purely aesthetic" reasons?
Everyone aroung you will think you are a religious nutjob, so I don't think it is a great idea.

>wearing religious items for purely aesthetic purposes
that's pretty much how it's been used since ever, so go ahead op.

try wearing something with meaning to you instead you shallow piece of nothing.
I bet 9/10 of your tinder dates consist of awkward silence.

what happens on the 10th user?

It's fine if there isn't a lot of well-meaning members of that religion who're upset about it. In general you should be respectful of other people's wishes if they find something to be sacred and don't want you to trivialize it. If that value didn't make it into your head by the time you got through kindergarten, then idk.

>In general you should be respectful of other people's wishes if they find something to be sacred and don't want you to trivialize it.

why? and what reasonable limits are there on this policy other than "someone somewhere might find this sacred"
I've got to run my fits by every podunk sect on the planet before I wear it. Doesn't sound like this scales very well.

people will call themselves religious even if they don't actually practise it, like so many Christians/catholics that dont pray, go to church, premartial sex, so there's absolutely no reason you couldn't wear a cross as an example.

the chick is fat, they fuck and never talk to each other again she tries to chat him up every now and then tho

>Abbey a qt.

>It's fine if there isn't a lot of well-meaning members of that religion who're upset about it.
It's like you didn't even read what he said.
This.
>If that value didn't make it into your head by the time you got through kindergarten, then idk.
This, even more so after the first reply.
kek

The first "This" was a mistake.

>It's like you didn't even read what he said.
I read it just fine but it's what we call "not well defined"
what is "a lot"
what is "well-meaning" and how do you intend to gauge this sincerity
what is "a religion" in the context? any belief system?
it's basically a heckler's veto on clothing where the most outspoken and violent religions/belief-systems are rewarded

>western religion
>native indian
do you know where native indians are??

akhmeds detected

>why?
'Cause it's nice and respectful?

And why is it that every time some libertarian-esque dickweed is confronted with the prospect of not doing a certain thing for anybody else's sake for any reason, ever, they become paralyzed with fear of society slipping into a PC Orwellian dystopia? Like, no dipshit, nobody's asking you to run any symbol you could wear past the entire planet for approval. But if at some point you acquire a decent reason to believe that something you wear might bum some decent, well-meaning person out, then maybe consider not wearing that thing.

>Ah, but have you considered that tribe X in the X mountain region considers all triangles to be sacred therefore, by your own logic, you have been trapped into never being able to wear triangles? Welcome to Rationalia, population me, Max Stirner and my mechanical keyboard.
Being a conscientious person doesn't require establishing hard and fast rules that perfectly cover every situation. Use your fuckin' head and just try to be nice, fucktard.

>do you know where native indians are??
where do I use the term "native indian"?
are you saying that Native Americans are technically in the west?
If you're going to be pedantic, "the west" is a conceptual framework that doesn't make any sense out of context. Technically Japan is west of Catholic Mexico. Is shinto western too?

>And why is it that every time some libertarian-esque dickwblah black

because, you fucking akhmed, you offer no limiting principle. If my only guideline is to guess what offends others, it's a plenary fucking restriction

>Use your fuckin' head and just try to be nice, fucktard.

how about others be nice and get on with their lives instead of policing what people they don't even know are wearing.
You're so fucking considerate except when it comes to how others dress.

You don't need to have everything set in stone to understand what is being conveyed.
What are you even doing in a fashion board if you can't stand any hint of vagueness?
>it's basically a heckler's veto on clothing where the most outspoken and violent religions/belief-systems are rewarded
That's why he said "well-meaning". C'mon this is pretty simple to understand, you are making a mountain over a molehill.

no opinion, i would probably ignore them and carry on with my shit

>That's why he said "well-meaning".
how about the butthurt fundies be more understanding about my own "well-meaning" appropriation of their sacred symbols and get on with their lives.
I'm sure they have more important things to deal with like figure out the physics of showers, the chemistry of soap and contraceptives for goats

Dang, I've been bested by superior empiricist reasoning once again and am compelled to admit that considering others' feelings is an irrational Muslim conspiracy. I apologize for treading on you, my good sir.

>uncle UNCLE!
ok. make your big exit you sensitive soul you

>If that value didn't make it into your head by the time you got through kindergarten, then idk.
Yeah, you clearly don't understand what it's like to be considerate and how to make it work bilaterally.

>Yeah, you clearly don't understand what it's like to be considerate and how to make it work bilaterally.
What bilateralism do you see here? It seems from what you describe that all the consideration has to be on my part.
is there any reason religious individuals can't exercise their own discretion to be considerate and let others live their lives in peace?
I understand that the pain of some stranger you'll never meet wearing some symbol you rarely think of must be unbearable to some but maybe they can find it in their boundless wisdom to fuck off and focus on more important issues?

youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9OhYroLN0
youtube.com/watch?v=4qlCC1GOwFw
youtube.com/watch?v=vjVkXlxsO8Q

this pettiness of wanting to control what other people wear is so comically over the top
thankfully normal people ignore you and this urge and just go on as before
youtube.com/watch?v=B3c8bVmeL6I

I'm trying to imagine what it's like to be so fragile that reading the words "try to be considerate to others" would send me into a frothing tirade against the muzzos lol

>that all the consideration has to be on my part.
For one they are not imposing their viwes on you, even if they disagree with yours.
That's because you are egoist. You view this as a cruase of religions against you for some reason.
You don't need be benefited for everything you do, empathy is not a coin.
Why should you do something that benefits you in some minimal way when it bothers other people's principles?

Fuck i messed up the order.

>What bilateralism do you see here?
For one they are not imposing their viwes on you, even if they disagree with yours.
>that all the consideration has to be on my part.
That's because you are egoist. You view this as a cruase of religions against you for some reason.

I feel like i need to clarify it or you would never understand. You probably won't understand either way.

I'm trying to imagine what it's like to be so fragile that seeing some dusty desert symbol being used on a garment forces you into thread-long paroxisms of rage and self-righteousness.
This will give your tumblr blog material for months

I understand perfectly
You want me to write a blank check to the religions and belief systems of the world where I agree to some dress code designed by committee.
I'm wallowing in the joy of living in a country where this will never be enforced, neither by law nor custom and telling you as much.
My advice: focus on your own life. Stop letting what others wear bother you.

I know this is all bait but it still made me mad. well done 6/10

You clearly don't focus on your own life when this bothers you so much.
Not only you don't understand what being considerate is you feel attacked (in a nonsensical way) when others may dislike something you do. Your whole life willl be you as a victim others repeating "I focus on my own life".

I don't feel attacked at all
I'm merely informing you that I'm not factoring in the personal preferences of 8B people when I get dressed
I get that this upsets you but for the life of me I don't understand why
I hope you find a way to cope because I'm pretty sure you're SOL in terms of enforcement mechanisms.

I'm bothered by people who lack respect because it would be mutually benefitial for me and the disrespectful ones if we were all considerate. It's not something hard to do and it improves everyone's lives by a large margin.
Too bad it's too hard to teach anyone that is not a child to be less egoistical.

>I'm bothered by people who lack respect
I don't lack respect. I make no demands on how others dress and I expect the same courtesy in return
>It's not something hard to do
you can't know that since your limiting principle is open ended, and relies on gauging subjective metrics like the relative sincerity and intensity of belief of large groups
>Too bad it's too hard to teach anyone that is not a child to be less egoistical.
I agree. people who fetishize controlling what others do based on superstition should have this totalitarian tendency beaten out of them at childhood so they don't carry it into adult life

>I don't lack respect. I make no demands on how others dress and I expect the same courtesy in return
Mom tells you not to throw food on the floor, that means she is wrong because you make no demands on what she does with her food.
That logic doesn't work.
>you can't know that since your limiting principle is open ended, and relies on gauging subjective metrics like the relative sincerity and intensity of belief of large groups
Not everything has to be set in stone to be understood, being obtuse on purpose just makes you a dick.
>I agree. people who fetishize controlling what others do based on superstition should have this totalitarian tendency beaten out of them at childhood so they don't carry it into adult life
Yes, take everything you read to extremes, it fits
everytime.

>Mom tells you not to throw food on the floor
right out of the gate I can tell you what's wrong:
there is no "mom" in this situation. No figure with the responsibility of what we all wear nor the authority to dictate it.
Right here is the non-bilateralism I mentioned before. There is no mutual respect in your model, only a "mom" dictating what to do.
That logic doesn't work
>being obtuse on purpose just makes you a dick.
physical heal thyself
it's not about being set in stone, it's a bad fucking precedent to allow strangers (in some cases foreigners) power over what you do based on their subjective belief system.
>Yes, take everything you read to extremes
you're proposing to put a bad and powerful cultural mechanism in place.
I don't think it's beyond the pale to question what unintended consequences it may have.
We haven't even reviewed the negative *intended* consequences such a framework will yield

Are you this dense for real?
I don't know if you are being obtuse on purpose or not anymore...
Person A tells you not to throw food on the floor, that means she is wrong because you make no demands on what she does with her food.
It's the same thing for fucks sake...
>it's not about being set in stone, it's a bad fucking precedent to allow strangers (in some cases foreigners) power over what you do based on their subjective belief system.
Of course! It's about muslism!. They are the enemy, they are everywhere, this thread was not about religion as whole but about islam. How could i have been so blind?
You are hopeless. Why are you even here i still don't understand.

>Person A tells you not to throw food on the floor,
you are being deliberately dense here
let's treat your example as if it weren't the idiotically crafted strawman it is for a second.
who is telling me not to throw food on the floor? What relationship does this person A have to the floor?
who does the floor belong to? is it my floor? if it's my floor why does person A have a say in what I do with it?
>that means she is wrong because you make no demands on what she does with her food.
if person A who lives in another house tells me not to throw food on the floor in my house, you bet your ass that's an unwelcome intrusion.
I have no demands of what person A do with their food or their house.
Are you making the claim that people from some other country have an equal stake in my clothes and personal behavior as I do?
come the fuck on
>Of course! It's about muslism!.
you really are an akhmed aren't you. This is why you get so defensive. I could tell you that it's a safeguard against *anyone's* subjective belief system but in 2017 christians are nowhere near as intrusive or vocal as muslims are about what others should do with their lives.
regardless, it's a bad precedent no matter who me make it for.

The biggest problem with this is that there are people exactly like you so i can never be 100% sure if it's a troll or a very stupid person.

>how can someone be so stupid that they can't see how right I am even though none of my arguments stand up
underaged b& pls go. the world must be a rough place for you

>aesthetic
means more than, "this looks cute."

A non-Christian wearing a cross would be subversive at best, dishonest at worst.

Seems no worse than wearing military issue items for purely aesthetic purposes

I personally don't understand why anyone would want to wear an icon of a religion they are not a member of anyways.

I guess some people think it’s pretty but didn’t realize they had to reverse image search the patterns on a garment before they wore it

I wear crosses because it's aesthetic AND I'm Christian.

I honestly don't care about others. The cross is ubiquitous enough that I don't care. I won't knowingly wear something associated with something I don't believe in, though.

This too

It's gay. Only wear it if you mean it.

>Muh stolen valour

Stupid shit that basic white girls do

It can never compare to actually having a reason to wear your Sunday best.