Catholic, Orthodox or Protestant?

Which is better?

>Catholic
Pros:
Apostolic sucession, ancient tradition, liturgy, music and art, miracles, philosophy: Thomas Aquinas

Cons:
Has to accept refugees, Pope Francis, Vatican II, papal infalibility, indulgences, crusades, witch-hunting, Galileo debacle, can't fap

>Orthodox:
Pros:
Same as Catholic, minus philosophy, emphasis on church fathers, doesn't change doctrine, mysticism, ethnic and national rather than universalistic

Cons:
I don't know it very well but critics say it's usually tied to the state, Russian church filled with FSB agents, diaspora priests actually spies, got BTFO by the T*rks and lost its capital Constantinople

>Protestant
Pros:
Independence from overarching governing bodies, cannot be excomminucated, no intermediary before God, Protestant nations usually more developed than Catho and Ortho ones

Cons:
Unaesthetic as fuck, retarded pro-Israel/Zionism, universalistic, no miracles

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes#Chronological_list
youtube.com/watch?v=6KV6PXSODgE
cnsnews.com/news/article/pope-francis-same-sex-marriage-move-father-lies-total-rejection-gods-law
wdtprs.com/blog/2013/12/pope-francis-shocked-by-gay-adoption-urges-bishop-to-speak-against-it-boldly/
independent.co.uk/news/people/pope-francis-compares-arguments-for-transgender-rights-to-nuclear-arms-race-10061223.html
catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2013/06/03/pope-francis-is-under-attack-for-saying-that-outside-the-church-there-is-no-salvation-its-a-poke-in-the-eye-says-one-presbyterian-why-hes-wrong/
huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/pope-francis-excommunicates-priest-greg-reynolds_n_3983059.html
ncronline.org/blogs/francis-chronicles/pope-francis-gender-theory-problem-not-solution
lifenews.com/2015/09/23/pope-francis-on-abortions-innocent-victims-its-wrong-to-look-the-other-way-or-remain-silent/
businessinsider.com/pope-francis-endorses-use-of-force-against-isis-in-iraq-2014-8
catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-off-the-cuff-to-priests-religious-indifference-makes-god-vomit-69700/
christianpost.com/buzzvine/7-times-pope-francis-was-misquoted-132679/
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/bolivia/11729834/Pope-rebukes-Bolivias-President-Evo-Morales-for-gift-of-crucifix-mounted-on-hammer-and-sickle.html
pastebin.com/niE7SvXS
pastebin.com/B6PHrhdS
strawpoll.me/10407759/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Catholics
>Apostolic succession
lel

Anyway you seem to be wondering which has the most swag. In which case Catholic.

What's wrong with apostolic succession?

Nothing, I'm saying Catholicism doesn't have it. I'm not convinced anyone does. On the count that Peter massively disagreed with Paul's theology that the Catholic church is basically built on there's no chance he's "the first pope".

Religious leaders claiming lineage to St. Peter is on the same level as maniacs who say the British royal family is descended from King David.

catholic
orthodox
>mfw literally disobeying the first two commandments

Protestantism is so far ahead of the other two this question is stupid

>>Catholic cons
>Has to accept refugees
meme
>crusades
What's wrong with the Holy Crusades?
>Galileo debacle
meme
>>Orthodox
>pros
>ethnic and national rather than universalistic
You seem to be confusing Christianity with Judaism. Maybe you should stick to role-playing as a germanic pagan.

>There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:28

I won't even read what you wrote for protestantism because that shouldn't even be an option. You either fall for the "orthodox" meme or join the One, Holy, Catholic (universal) and Apostolic Church founded by Christ Himself.

>Apostolic sucession
The real successor to the apostolate is the NT itself, since it continues their ministry within the church of God. The office is incommunicable.

>Religious leaders claiming lineage to St. Peter is on the same level as maniacs who say the British royal family is descended from King David.
'no'

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes#Chronological_list
youtube.com/watch?v=6KV6PXSODgE

>Protestants didn't hunt witches

>minus philosophy
Wrong, f.e. see the Cappadocian Fathers who formulated the Orthodox doctrine of the Trinity, of one ousia and three hypostaseis.

>ethnic and national rather than universalistic
Also wrong, because the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinopole is indeed ecumenical, it has churches in, for example, Italy and they aren't open just to the Greeks, and an Orthodox clergyman is free to join the liturgy and pray in his non-Greek language.

>they aren't open just to the Greeks
enjoy nasty looks

Crusades , no proof (bible is a load of bullshit) e.g basic knowledge gives me autism when i read it.

What's wrong with the church universal expressing herself in many national and ethnic traditions, as long as there is unity of doctrine? Humanity is naturally divided in extended families, tribes, nations, languages and ethnicities. God himself divided the world according to nations. If God wanted a homogeneous "one world" he would have made it so. It's the anti-Christian globalist elites who constantly push for universalism and the abolition of nations and have consciously revived the symbolism of Babel as an affront to God.

>What's wrong with the church universal expressing herself in many national and ethnic traditions, as long as there is unity of doctrine?
You just described the Catholic Church.

>Galileo debacle

Galileo was a dick who got away with a lot because his patron protected him. When his patrons died he had no protection and he got his just dessert.

>muh pc pope

Pope says gay marriage is from satan
cnsnews.com/news/article/pope-francis-same-sex-marriage-move-father-lies-total-rejection-gods-law
Pope Francis speaks against Gay adoption
wdtprs.com/blog/2013/12/pope-francis-shocked-by-gay-adoption-urges-bishop-to-speak-against-it-boldly/
Compares trans rights to nuclear arms race
independent.co.uk/news/people/pope-francis-compares-arguments-for-transgender-rights-to-nuclear-arms-race-10061223.html
Pope Francis says that there's no salvation outside the Church
catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2013/06/03/pope-francis-is-under-attack-for-saying-that-outside-the-church-there-is-no-salvation-its-a-poke-in-the-eye-says-one-presbyterian-why-hes-wrong/
He excommunicates an Australian priest supporting gay marriage and women clergy
huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/pope-francis-excommunicates-priest-greg-reynolds_n_3983059.html
Pope Francis is against gender theory and for traditional gender roles
ncronline.org/blogs/francis-chronicles/pope-francis-gender-theory-problem-not-solution
Pope is against abortion
lifenews.com/2015/09/23/pope-francis-on-abortions-innocent-victims-its-wrong-to-look-the-other-way-or-remain-silent/
He Encourages the use of force against ISIS
businessinsider.com/pope-francis-endorses-use-of-force-against-isis-in-iraq-2014-8
Pope Francis is against lukewarm "faith"
catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-off-the-cuff-to-priests-religious-indifference-makes-god-vomit-69700/
The Pope is misquoted often
christianpost.com/buzzvine/7-times-pope-francis-was-misquoted-132679/
The Pope Rebukes Communist Cross
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/bolivia/11729834/Pope-rebukes-Bolivias-President-Evo-Morales-for-gift-of-crucifix-mounted-on-hammer-and-sickle.html

>got BTFO by the T*rks and lost its capital Constantinople
>Unaesthetic as fuck
>russian orthodox is only orthodox
>can't fap
How old are you? Christianity isn't something you believe because it's "cool" or "aesthetic." Why don't you learn some more about each denomination's theology before posting crap like this.
Like said, if you want to know which one has the most "swag" then you're probably not old enough to post here.

>minus philosophy
>+ theology

Theology takes lies away and leaves you with clarified pure Truth.

Why philosophize about something if it's not true or does not help your eternal soul?

>MUH PROTESTANTISM
the post.

>You're too immature to post in an Easter Islander moai sculpting workshop
You realize how pathetic you sound trying to act all "mature" while posting in an anime image board?

Except the church fathers didn't recognize the Roman pontiff as the supreme authority.

except they did. I have loads of church fathers quotes about it. Besides, in the Council of Florence the orthodox Church literally accepted papal supremacy, before being forced to change their mind by people and for reasons that have nothing to do with theology..

you don't need tradition, philosophy and aesthetic.
just make deal with the Jesus, you are all set.

>I have loads of church fathers quotes about it
let's see

Catholic south america tried to annihilate natives, but failed. Protestant north america performed natives genocide perfectly.
Orthodox cant even into genocide.
So protestants are clearly the best.

it is not formatted though
pastebin.com/niE7SvXS

if that doesn't satiate you, here are quotes from the councils:
pastebin.com/B6PHrhdS

btw these are all Eastern Church Fathers

thanks senpai

Where the fuck is Constantine when you need him.

>Protestant
>Unaesthetic as fuck

You need to get yourself some Kierkegaard, lad.

Explain this

Kierkegaard's existentialism is in fact incompatible with Evangelical and Reformed Protestantism. It's also incompatible with Luther because of Kierkegaard's affirmation of free will

Have you ever even been in an Orthodox Church? I'm a Morrocan Jew and no one looks at me funny at the Russian Orthodox Church I've been going to.

You have to be 18 to post here, regardless of how mature you are and I hope that no one above the age of 18 is as immature as op

He's not needed to shill orthodoxy.

None is better. There is only only true Christianity without division.

Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, doesn't matter when you have the same love for God.

Who cares how you view church life and religious traditions, it is all irrelevant of you don't put your trust in Christ and His teachings.

"Evangelical Protestantism" is in fact the belief in a Trinitarian God who was incarnate in the person of Jesus of Nazareth and atoned for humanity's sins on the cross then was risen from the dead by the Father through the power of the Holy Spirit as recorded in the scriptures.

Kierkegaard believed this and therefore he is part of the club.

t. Evangelical seminarian

Amen.

I find each to offer a numinous experience that is pretty different and beautiful in its own way.

That's so vague that practically the entirety of Christianity believes and agrees with that statement. Evangelical Sola Fide follows Calvin and does not allow room for doubt. You must know you believe. Luther and Kierkegaard sees the soul as struggling to hold onto God and hope for the future. Both emphasize the theme of despair and doubt. Evangelicals, following in Calvin's view of Salvation cannot claim to be in agreement with Kierkegaard whose soteriology is Luther with the free will

Listen pal, not all Evangelicals are Calvinists and who is within or without our spiritual community is ultimately up to Jesus Himself. The faith statement I posted is broad because it contains the non-negotiable information but there is room for disagreement within our faith on a host of other issues such as those you mentioned.

Which is better at what? Making sure its members go to heaven?

Catholic: 2% to 3% saved.
Orthodox: 4% to 6% saved.
Christians: 100% saved.

Which looks better to you?

Daily Reminder Luther was a filthy papist friar who could no longer stomach the vile Roman church.

No one's saying that but that Evagelical soteriology is really more infleunced by Calvin. The Arminians themselves were after all, Reformed. This is somewhat pointed out by Philip Cary in his essay showing how Luther's soteriology is not really Protestant.

Actually, if you read the bible carefully, you will find that the Father, Son, and Spirit all raised Jesus from the dead.

John 2:19 Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

John 10:18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from My Father.”

Father: Galatians 1: Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead):

Spirit:
Romans 8
11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Our God is One.

Luther was a catholic. Of course he was wrong.
Calvin and Arminius are both wrong in different ways.

Let all men be wrong ,and God be right. Read the bible, not the books about the bible.

He got it wrong on Sola Scriptura

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All scripture is inspired by God.

>muh traditions

Filth.

Where in the Bible can I find the statement of its boundaries?

None of the above.

The non sola scriptura sects all believe in that. The surrounding context of that verse also mentions Tradition in the sense of what the Apostles taught the audience, not all of which are written down

I've told you four times.

2 Timothy 3:16-17.

All scriptures are inspired by God.

Inspired by God? Yes? Scripture.

Not inspired by God? Not scripture.

You seem to have misunderstood what the label "Evangelical Christian" means; It comes from the Greek εὐαγγέλιον which means "bringer of good news" (i.e. preacher of the Gospel) and refers to the Gospel-oriented attitude of our spirituality. Calvin was a brilliant mind but he was a man just like you or I and therefore his teachings are only profitable insofar as they point to the good news achieved by Jesus Christ. All good theologians are merely pointing to what Christ accomplished and one's relationship with Christ is ultimately what makes someone an "Evangelical" and not adherence to a particular theologian.

Any tradition that was written in the inspired bible, sure.

Any tradition that is not, why would you waste your time?

Any tradition in the bible that is foul and evil? Are you wise enough to know the difference?

No?

>minus philosophy

I'm Catholic, and I'm just gonna tell you this is where you fucked up. The Orthodox basically invented transcendental philosophy, and preserved Platonism.

Also, I'd look into the legacy if byzantine government for good cons against Orthodoxy.

if nobody gets it right, what's the point of divine revelation in the first place? Are you saying God is not capable of giving perfect truth, in the limits of the knowable by human intelligence? s m h

Calvin was literally anti-Evangelical.

To know that you are inferior to God, and to trust Him on things you cannot understand, for one.

>Inspired by God? Yes? Scripture.
>Not inspired by God? Not scripture.
That verse does not exclude that there is something not in Scripture which is inspired by God, only that for something to constitute Scripture it must be inspired by God. Can you read?

You are not answering the question at all. For one to play Sola Scriptura, it is important to know Scripture's composition but in none of the 66 books do we get any of that

ok but if there is stuff in the Bible that he gave to us, it means he wanted us to understand it. If you come up with different interpretations, clearly somebody got the right message from God and someone else didn't. God does nothing for no reason, don't you agree? So why would he reveal stuff to us, lots of stuff, that is simply useless? Doesn't sound right to me. Don't you agree?

Inspired by God? In.

Not inspired by God? Not in.

Can you?

Inspired by God? Scripture

Not inspired by God? Not Scripture

It does not say that there is nothing outside Scripture that is inspired by God. You are twisting Scriptures to fit your agenda.

No because he spread the good news that Jesus came to save us from the total depravity of our sinful natures.

That people cannot understand the Word of God should not be some sort of secret; it's rather loudly pronounced throughout the bible that men make up their own meanings, and discard God's.

It's also noted by Paul that we see things as through a glass, darkly.

So it's important not only to keep that in mind, but to have the bible explain itself, back itself up with more than one witness, and remain harmonized with what we do know, for sure.

Did he? Or did he say that if you were going to be saved, it had nothing to do with you? And that if your neighbor was meant to go to hell, there's nothing you could say to him to change his fate?

Look at how dishonest you are. By your definition of it, any Christian sect, even the Arians can claim what you just defined. I don't expect Scripture to be easy to read but I don't expect the Church to be left out in the blind for centuries. This is why we have Tradition to guide the reading of Scripture. Theological truth must remain the same at all times. Anything different is not the Gospel. Too bad in your case, it appears that no one can even know what is true since all sides will end up inadvitably saying "muh sola scriptura"

Answer the question

No, you have tradition.

Christians have the Holy Spirit to sort things out.

I have, several times. 2 Timothy 3:16-17.

All scriptures is inspired.

All.

If a thing is not inspired, like the apocrypha, it is not scripture.

Except, Tradition means the preaching of the Church, the method of reading Scripture and the consistency of doctrine as time goes

>it's rather loudly pronounced throughout the bible that men make up their own meanings, and discard God's.
Are you saying God couldn't make his Word clear to us? Are you saying he is not all-mighty? If he decided to conceal it, what is the point of divine revelation? I thought it's called "revelation" because you are supposed to understand things? I am pretty sure you are not supposed to understand Scripture until the time it talks about has come to pass. OT was about Jesus and came to pass, so we should understand it in light of the NT. You are saying we can't, but that is obviously not what God wanted. The only book that we really cannot understand yet is the Book of Revelation, because it still has not come to pass.
>but to have the bible explain itself, back itself up with more than one witness, and remain harmonized with what we do know, for sure.
This does not make any sense. If everybody is wrong and nobody understand anything, what is the point of reading the Bible anyway? How can you worship God if you don't know Him? (you said we cannot know shit, so I am just following your trail of thoughts)

>Christians have the Holy Spirit to sort things out.
How come the Holy Spirit sorts things out for every protestant differently? Are you implying the Holy Spirit is a liar?

Yes, the teachings of your apostate church, which you rely upon to your destruction.

Christians have the Holy Spirit of God living in them.

I'm saying we're broken.

Are you not in agreement that humanity is broken?

You forgot Mary-worship for the cons to Catholicism

He does not, He is not, and welcome to Hell for blaspheming Him.

To be fair, that's only 99.99999% of Catholicism, the rest being pederasty.

Yes, Calvin taught that if you are saved it is because Jesus chose you and not due to your own efforts; this is obviously good news for those people. However personally, I do not hold this view but still consider Calvin an Evangelical and a wise man even if we don't agree on everything.

Arians deny the divinity of Christ so no, they would not be included and the church is never blind because we have the Counselor to guide us. God ensured that all "tradition" necessary for salvation was included in the original canon.

Sure, but that's not the point at all.
I guess you ran out of arguments

>He does not, He is not,
Are you kidding me? How many protestant denominations are there out there? L M A O
>welcome to Hell for blaspheming Him.
I didn't blaspheme Him, actually you did by implying that he lies.

>Our God is One.
Your God is the Father, the Son is the Father's (God) son and the Spirit is the helper.

Except it is only through Tradition that the Church was able to define and come up with a canon. No one used Scriptures for that. If the Holy Spirit works as you said then I expect consistency in soteriology and important matters of faith as time goes by, indicating this guidance. Unfortunately, consistency is not to be found in Protestantism.

vote

strawpoll.me/10407759/

vote

Islam>all this

None of these; become atheist, don't allow a god to cuck you

No it was through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit that the church was able to come up with a canon and there are divisions in doctrine because not everyone who claims to be speaking by the Spirit actually is, as the Roman church knows all too well.

Luckily having ironclad doctrine is not a prerequisite for redemption.

>We found faded images which may or may not be mary
>Therefore we need to pray to Mary as she is clearly the queen of heaven

Soon after that page an Ante Nicene prayer to Mary is discussed

we ask Mary to pray for us, we don't pray to her. Big difference.

I am Lutheran, but to my understanding there's a conflation of terms when one says "worship" in regards to Mary and other saints. Catholics worship God, and a better word for the rest is that they "venerate" or deeply respect, to a point of holiness, the rest. God is God, and Mary and the other saints are not God. You can "pray" to them just as you might mull over what a highly respected grandfather might think and feel after he passes and have silent conversations with him and his ideals. If a given Catholic is, indeed, "worshipping" Mary or other saints as they "worship" God, they are not understanding something important.

From Irenaeus as well

The Tradition of the Church is also Divinely Inspired and comes from God. This Tradition enables the Canon to be recognized. Divisions in doctrine existed then but one set of doctrines managed to push through as others fade away

Again, there is nothing here about her being the queen of heaven, mediator of graces etc. Of course she had a special role in the plan of salvation, but I see absolutely no evidence from the early church that we ought to make her the fourth member of the trinity, as you Catholics seem to do in practice if not in theory.

And the Tradition of the Church was codified in the canon so that ridiculous extravagances such as indulgences or papal infallibility could be exposed for the lies that they are.

Is quoting heretics a hobby of yours?

I'll try again.

God has a pure truth for humanity that broken humanity cannot tap into without His assistance, and even then it's only through the broken prism of our fallen state.

Hence let God be right, and all men wrong.

You say there are many "protestant" denominations.

Name one.

Bonus points if they actually use the word "protestant" in the title of their denomination.

Nope.