Watch thread - /wt/

Watch thread - /wt/

New 1960s Raketa edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/748477776/angel-falls-by-mondragon-watch-co-a-dive-tactical
youtube.com/watch?v=mG0GmkkqG3A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Vintage Explorer

w2c

Any recommendations for an aviation themed watch that goes with a suit? I work in aviation but my nicest watch is functional black plastic.

Longines Heritage 1935

This is another watch I've made, I've posted my other watches in these threads before, I'm curious what Veeky Forums thinks of it.
Obviously this watch only works well with certain outfits, but I really like the fact that I can explain parts of the watch to interested people since it's a skeleton watch.
The movement is an ETA 6497-1 if anyone's wondering.
I also don't have the band for it yet, I will post pictures with the band later when I get it.

I'm not a fan of skeleton watches, but that's awesome that you made it user. I'm definitely miring for that reason. Nice work

Yeah fashion-wise I'm not a huge fan of skeleton watches either but I really wanted a watch where I could observe the internals and show them to other people.

Sorry, it's a 6498-1 movement, my bad.

A-any cheap decent skeleton watches out there?

How cheap are we looking at?

>I can explain parts of the watch to interested people
They are just pretending to be interested.

I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that my friends are a bunch of geeky mechanically-minded dweebs like myself.
Most people aren't really interested, you're right.

Does the Chinese label make this watch unworthy? I kinda like it.

I know the watch isn´t the prettiest, but what does everyone think of the Angel Falls watch? It´s a kickstarter watch, w/ceramic bezel and a pretty good movement for the price.
Is it too ugly to be excused for its price?

kickstarter.com/projects/748477776/angel-falls-by-mondragon-watch-co-a-dive-tactical

The Chinese label doesn't matter as much as the color scheme.
A watch with a silver case and a gold bezel will have a very hard time looking good outside of a professional photo.
Especially when it has a brown leather watchband, a white dial, blue highlights on the dial and from the blued screws in the movement, along with gold and white hands.
The color scheme just seems way too crowded to me. Maybe Guanqin has better looking watches, but I still probably wouldn't buy from them.

The lower-level of that watch has a cheap movement that I consider absolute trash, the Seiko NH35a is so inexpensive it's cheaper to throw it away and buy a new movement than to service the movement. It only costs $37, and you're getting what you pay for.
The ETA 2824-2, on the other hand, is a respectable movement, and 350 dollars is a reasonable price to pay for a watch with that movement, although this also hinges on the quality of the case, which I can not speak to, thought at least it has sapphire glass, which means that the crystal should look good through a lot of use.

around 60 euros?

You should post your methods in /diy/ !

You can't get a decent mechanical watch for that price, let alone a decent skeleton watch. At 60 euros your best bet at a reliable watch is something digital, or you could get a quartz movement watch that will last you five years if you're lucky.

I kind of want one of these but only for free.

cop or not?

ITT shitters, except the vintage Heuer and the 6498 the guy built himself

can you make me one as well? for free?

Nope. But I'm a little interested in the prospect of selling custom watches, maybe I should look into that.

how autistic is it to wear a big watch when you have small wrists?
pic very related

My Raketa jeans

Croton datejust

seiko 5

I always liked this watch, even though it's $60,000.

how autistic is it to wear a big watch when you have small wrists?
>big watch
here is your problem lad

I've actually been looking for a skeleton dial with a chapter ring with Arabic numerals a lot like what you have there, but with a smaller case than I suspect your 6498 is in -maybe something more like a 2801. If you're actually interested in selling custom pieces email me at nycddancer @ Gmail with a time-stamped picture of your 6498.

Emailed

thats a girls watch you fag

Or maybe it's a girl. We let them go online now.

Latest cop, I've cleaned up the case since then to remove most of the exterior marks

Im girl, user

No, you're a trap and traps aren't females. They're faggots

Completely Unironically

autistic pic

i thought the same thing

Oh lawd that is beautiful

Curious, why do most people here hate on Tag Heuer? I'm not particularly a fan of the designs, but it seems the money you pay for a decent ETA movement isn't too bad. Not like Breitling.

lol at the Pontiff
youtube.com/watch?v=mG0GmkkqG3A

>why do most people here hate on Tag Heuer

probably using ETA movements and campaigns with celebrity endorsements

What's the cheapest place to get an Orient Bambino with grey dials?

I'm a man and I love watches but I'm a thinspo lurker, my wrists are 5.3 inches and the only watch I have is one that's been gifted to me and it's a 40mm one. Now I'd like to buy a new one and I've been thinking about copping a smaller one but I'm scared it will be too feminine looking.
Pic related is the one I'd like to go for, it's 32mm x 26mm
What do you think, cop or not?

I don't think most anyone here has a problem with ETA movements.

do you guys generally have more than one watch in your posession?
do you wear different watches on different occasions?

I will wear a more casual/waterproof/durable watch on weekends or casual weeknights, and a more formal piece for nice dinners, client meetings, etc., but mostly in a world where divers are acceptable with suits, you can wear most anything to most anywhere.

/g/ said this watch is tasteless, why is that?

Gaudy. Looks like something Trump would wear.

Whats your though on rolex submariner? Is it dadcore?

only rolex I like is the day date

Most popular Rolex by far, I feel like I see them everywhere. Honestly I like the Explorer, GMT, Datejust, Oyster Perpetual & Daytona way more

2nd from right, bottom row, left case...what watch is that?

The actual reason is that when the quartz crisis hit the swiss watch industry, a saudiarabian investment company TAG bought the once legendary brand Heuer in 1985, while most others fell under the Swatch group ownership. TAG then proceeded to shit on all of Heuer heritage, scrapped the entire watch lineup, even the machines that made the movements were destroyed or sold. Then they introduced a bunch of garbage tier quartz fashion watches, and all of them were horrific in design. So I don't think it's that surprising for so many watch freaks despise the brand. In 1999 LVMH bought the brand and they have slowly recovered some respect since. Although they made an ass out of themselves about 8 years ago when they proudly introduced their brand new "inhouse" cal 1887 movement, which turned out to be based on a seiko design. Again, pissing people off with lies. The movement itself is fine though.

>silver subdials against blue background
>clumsy typeface on outer dial
>red subdial highlights
There are far better divers out there, lad

Get a vintage Hamilton instead. That one is a little feminine and looks cheap

Looks like a Favre leuba

Ok thanks I'll check that out

Really want to get myself a vintage watch. I have received 2 nice ones as heritage but unfortunately they don't work...
It is around 400.- each to repair them. I'm sure it is worth to do it with the pontifa (the right one) but not with the favre leuba. The problem is that I dont want to wear the pontifa everyday because it is way too valuable and I would be afraid to damage it.
So my best bet is to buy a new one. Any good website to recommand ? Or should I seek for shops near me ? I heard that buying online is not always a good idea. Btw I'm swiss so I should definitely be able to find some places to buy watches near me

It looks too chunky imo, even more so than most rolex models

i would obviously love it if someone gave me a milgauss, but i wouldn't buy one--i think rolex is supposed to be traditional enough that they shouldn't put lightning bolt second hands on their "science" watch

They weren't always chunky, older Rolex models are much better looking.

Thinking about copping this. Thoughts?

Yeah definitely. Shame the modern models seem to be mostly targeted at wannabes. Definitely more casual in style these days too

I think the Milgauss is one of the few tasteful modern Rolex watches actually. Sure, the lightning bolt is a bold design choice, but the rest of the watch is sufficiently simple and modern looking for it to not look out of place. At first glance I wasn't sure how to feel about it either, but now I think that the watch would have far less character and look far more ordinary with a traditional hand

Disgusting, are you twelve, and do you love dragons? If your answer is yes to both questions, go for it.

It's very chunky and looks overloaded, even cheap.

If you want a large watch with a blue dial and a metal strap in a similar price range have a look at pic related.

It would probably look cheap and childish irl. Pictures or ornaments in wristwatches are very hard to pull off, so I'd stay away from it unless you have the money to get something very upscale, and even then it's hit or miss

It is my great-grandmother's 1940s Election Grand Prix, an old basic Swiss brand that eventually folded. One of my favorites, and in amazing condition for the age.

What price range? Do you have large wrists or smaller ones? Do you prefer steel / white gold or gold? Metal strap or leather strap?

what do you mean, pictures in wristwatches look great

If it works for you. It doesn't for most people, and that dragon watch certainly doesn't work for anyone

It’s my moon watch

I love this watch but I must say it doesn’t QUITE feel like a daily wearer for me...just a bit pricey and a bit of a scratch magnet at my desk job

I just buffed a computer keyboard scratch out of the clasp with a scotch brite

But it’s classic, it’s understated, I love winding it, and this model is damned heavy which I like too

I like the look of this Speedy 2

automatic and date function

eez wary nice watch, yees

This is the Speedmaster I would get. My mind is decided. Love at first sight.

Have watch threads moved from /g/ to Veeky Forums?

what years was that in production

Bear in mind the coaxial Omega movements are much more expensive to service.

is it just me or is this dude probably 5'2" tall

What do you guys think of this cheapish Seiko diver? (esp the 38mm one, for small wrists)

I have 6" wrists but reasonably meaty forearms

Maybe go with the bigger SKX009

>is it just me or is this dude probably 5'2" tall

i personally do not like all that polished low-grade stainless steel

if you can get something brushed, satinized, low-gloss, that would be better

I think this would be the only expensive swiss watch i'd get.

Fantastic beater/casual diver. I alternate between nato and perlon straps.

flex watch, the only reason to buy one is to show strangers you can spend 9 grands on a watch

It does have a classic look that will never go out of style

some QC issues but it's to be expected given the price. the chapter indices are always off-center compared to the lume.