What are the real differences between the upper class and the upper middle class?

What are the real differences between the upper class and the upper middle class?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/njLqy6KK03Q
slatestarcodex.com/2014/04/22/right-is-the-new-left/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_and_non-U_English
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersignaling
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there is none, they are all going to be alone in the end - dead. Realize your life is just a play, don't take it too seriously. You are already showing signs of depression, low self esteem. Stop comparing, do what you like, give less fucks, it is about you, not others, be kind to others.

upper class over 1mil
upper middle class over 500k

Upper class:
Laws dont apply to you. You appoint judges and politicians and the government resolves around you. You have infinite money. People who oppose you get disposed of.
youtu.be/njLqy6KK03Q

Aka royalty and dictators.

Pleb class:
Elected leaders, captains of industry.

Ultra pleb class.
Judges, doctors, professors.

"""""""middle""""" class:
Us.

I am represented in all of these classes. Feels good.

>that pic

I do stuff from those five classes (but more from the upper than from the lower), which class am I?

Regarding your question: upper class can stop "working" overnight, and just live off its dividends. Upper middle class can't, or not without some kind of compromise (i. e. go live in a cheaper country, spends less, etc.).

In other terms:
>middle class = wageslave
>upper middle class = wageslave prime
>upper class = master

Deduct the corresponding cultural affinities.

Upper class can live on wealth and their work is likely either related to their own wealth or nominal. Upper middle class works in a demanding and well-compensated field and needs to do so for at least a few decades to maintain their lifestyle. Everything else follows from these.

Upper class can even have as little as 2M$ in liquid assets so long as they're born with it.

Entirely agree. $2 million is also the minimal sum I think can sustain a "modest upper class" lifestyle.

>remember: ostentatious spending is more "upper middle class" (I make a statement, look, me is rich!) than an old money upper class thing; so the upper class can actually live on a smaller budget than the upper middle wageslaves.

Evidence that Veeky Forums truly does know the path to wealth.

>remember: ostentatious spending is more "upper middle class" (I make a statement, look, me is rich!) than an old money upper class thing; so the upper class can actually live on a smaller budget than the upper middle wageslaves.

This is very true. I'm from the lower reaches of the upper class, and my middle/upper middle friends from college are always blowing money on petty shit to flex. Meanwhile I wear old clothes, drink cheap booze and have hunted big game on three continents. Don't ask why I'm on Veeky Forums.

My point here is really that TIME is the ultimate luxury. Those middle class guys could save up and go on safari in Africa, but they don't have the time to do that, or they need the constant positive feedback of having people notice their nice things too badly to commit to a private experience like that.

>Judaism is not on the list
What are you even doing

If you think that any part of this list is remotely accurate, you're beyond salvation. "Class" doesn't mean anything. People pursue money for the freedom and power associated with it. Not to learn how to play baroque instruments. Yes, certain social opportunities come with money. Not everybody takes them

Understand pic related. When you understand pic related, and also understand why it's more accurate than an "upper-middle-lower" dichotomy but still not spot on, then your understanding of class will improve.

>three classes
>dichotomy
Also that chart is helpful but it is in now way helpful in seeing how people are perceived and grouped and how their behaviors respond to or cause their class status.

Those things are signs you may be in a certain class, not things everyone in that class does. Vanishingly few lower class people can go mountaineering in the Alps, and few upper class people are going to be caught speaking in tongues at the local tent revival.

This must be a meme. Literally the only large "group" of people playing chess are poor russians and british autismo NEETs. And that's coming from someone who plays chess once in a while.

Meanwhile most upperclass families will have their kids playing Football/Lacross/Rugby/Polo etc. You honestly think the Bush's or the Kennedy's don't play touch football on their massive country estates? Or do you actually think the upperclass wear monocles while quoting shakespeare and playing croquet?

Your perception of the rich is so cartoonish it makes me feel like you are yourself incredibly poor and have never had contact with these people.

I would say there isn't necessarily a fixed amount of net wealth. Certainly for some people it's an easy indicator, but in some cases connections are worth much more.

Also remember that there's a difference between the upper class and the ultra wealthy. You can be in the top tier with no worries for the rest of your life in your city/state and even country in some cases, but you'll still be behind the billionaires.

>The middle class always blowing money to flex.

>Btw I've hunted on three continents so I'm definitely upper class

Wow, way to /meme/ yourself.

Inb4 "I was saying it to make a point", needing to specify aspects of your private life to ensure random people on Veeky Forums take your opinion seriously immediately makes you hoi poloi/pleb-tier garbage.

That was a comparison of how we spend our money, not proof that I'm what I say I am. A lot of my spending is done where nobody can see it, while these friends spend for the purpose of being seen spending.

This is Veeky Forums. Believe it or don't, but it's kinda sad that you got that excited about your big chance to BTFO a rich guy.

These are signs not requirements, like the other user said.

Nerds are meaningless for groupthink surveys because they are too self-absorbed to be representative.

What is touch football?

And honestly, yes. Maybe 1% of the 1% play croquet once per decade, but who the fuck else does?

I do a lot of stuff from the upper class and some from the upper middle class but financially I am lower class.

What the hell?

>t. poor country hick who plays chess at Waffle House and isn't religious, has been hunting before and maybe took Latin in high school
Was I close?

No.

>hunting
>not lower class
u wot

There are remarkable similarities between the more solvent and independent strata of the labor classes and the upper class. Paul Fussell covered this well in "Class: A Guide Through the American Status System." People in the tier you're thinking of are financially similar to the middle class, but have time to do things that are practically aristocratic because they don't punch a clock like the true working class and middle class. A bit of an anomaly. The true working class may like hunting, but not have time to do it seriously, or not have the money to do it at all.

From Fussell-
They [high proles] are aristocratic in other ways, like their devotion to gambling and their fondness for deer hunting. Indeed, the antlers with which they decorate their interiors give their dwellings in that respect a resemblance to the lodges of the Scottish peerage. The high prole resembles the aristocrat too, as Ortega y Gasset notes, in "his propensity to make out of games and sports the central occupation of his life," as well as in his unromantic attitude towards women.

Eclecticism ftw

Except lower class it seems.

I often made this observation (that the upper class shared a certain mindset with the lower class, bypassing the middle class) without any kind of serious data to back it up. Thank you for the sweet recommendation, I'll read this book.

Bump

Filthy plebeian, begone.

The red one crossed out are things that are not part of me or not true about me

>pool is low class

It's one of those things that can be upper class honestly. The definitions are so warped in that info graphic.

>professors

gotta split thatone up a little better.
elite professors and leaders of their field >> US => mid range professor >>> small liberal arts professor that is pretty much a glorified school teacher.

It can be, but it is not typically an upper class way to spend a lot of time these days. Pool halls are generally a blue-collar thing, so most of the rich people playing pool own a pool table. In my experience, not many do.

You just moved the bar up so that now what we call plutocrats are simply upper class. You've literally made the scale less useful for no reason but to roll out your infowars shit.

I only had pool halls in mind, not billiards rooms. What else is warped?

...That's a sincere question, by the way. I'm interested in your point of view.

See this article because it tries to explain the phenomenon, and it's one of the few that acknowledges that fashion and behavior patterns are cyclical:
slatestarcodex.com/2014/04/22/right-is-the-new-left/

See also:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_and_non-U_English
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersignaling

educated gentry??
the fuck is that really? seems to be more tv like celebrities fit that space.

WHOA RE YOU CALLING A PLUTOCRARF I AM ONE OF THE PEOPLE

Stopped reading at middle class. Disgusting.