What was "old" Veeky Forums like?

What was "old" Veeky Forums like?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/fa/?search_op=all&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_del=dontcare&offset=840&ghost=yes&search_res=post&task=search2&search_capcode=all&search_username=lemons
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How old are we talking here?
Initially it was video game t-shirts and mfa types.
It sucked, it still sucks and has always sucked. Don't worry you didn't miss anything

Really hasn't changed much desu. Vibe has gotten a little less 'serious' (no meetups, you should expect trolls, etc). Still good threads then and now. People are more mean now though.

There are also more r/streetwear posters

>How old are we talking here?
Let's start from the beginning. I've only be around for maybe three-four years and that's mostly just me passively lurking and shitposting. I've always been curious if things were more or less how they are now.

2 years ago fa was at its best desu

fucking autistic

i mean just look at some of this shit

warosu.org/fa/?search_op=all&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_del=dontcare&offset=840&ghost=yes&search_res=post&task=search2&search_capcode=all&search_username=lemons

2015 fa was not peak fa at all

>A lot of avant-garde
>People actually talking about fashion runaway shows
>contained threads until maxed image limit
>A lot less streetwear/hypebeast was still there but people told them to fuckoff to r/mfa
>a fuckton of black
>alot more female posters and threads but now its 70%

>>a fuckton of black
Black, black never changes

Yeah I have noticed a HUGE decline in actual runway fashion threads.

We always had at least one WAYWT, Fuccboi General, ROG (Rick Owens General, QTDDTOT (Questions that don't deserve their own thread), Raf Simmons, Adidas general, sneaker general, occasional Yohji and Mason Margiela, W2C, Cop Or Not, a few fags asking if " 'x' was effay," SLP threads, actual runway fashion, Techwear, and then your various season related threads.

never forget

when you have elephantitus of the balls you gotta cradle em

It was more active but you couldn't actually have a discussion about anything at all because, regardless of subject, a tripfag showed up and made a shitpost in the thread and the rest of your thread was trips talking to each other.

Not that great

This it was all American appereral hoodies , skinny jeans, bracelets, necklaces, Clark's desert boots and aviator sunglasses

When I first came it was:

Gothninja
Nike roshe run
Poet tripfaggot

The board was always filled with 19 yr olds

People complained about lack of runway threads even back then.

There were more trips

The considerable amount of posters were into menswear, and another were fanatically into Rick Owens

Some people took lunarcore seriously

Daily Tumblr threads

Endless Raf Simons posting throughout 2015

SLP became big at the end of 2015

The must have shoes were: Nike Janoski, then came Nike Roshe run, after those came Nike AF1, and after them came Adidas Stan Smith at the beggining of 2015

All in all; 2015 was the best year IMO, so much things happening, new memes we have today started to emerge, and the old one havent died yet.

very ideolized. it was better way better but that doesn't means good. It was fun when the people gathered in tinychats to talk and get to know each other.
We had some interesting individuals here most of them were not through most ended up loner losers. I have Raymond, Unpop and Slater on Overwatch.

Slater loner.
Unpop loner.
Franz loner.
Ray loner.
Sieg the worst desu adult old af who hasn't got a grip yet, suffering depression. One day homie tho, just drop your trash ideology thats what is affecting you.

another thing I don't recommend you to associate too much with these people. You will start feeling like them. Alone, empty and fucked over by life.

They're fun individuals to chat around from time to time but irl they're spergs like most people in Veeky Forums. Think about how they arrived here in first place, this website doesn't hosts anyone happy or sane.

those times were ok. but for me 2009-2010. never knew shit about 2008.
What I like is that I saw all the individuals here grow up, that makes me proud.

When I first got here in 2011 and 2012 to learn to fashion here were somethings I noticed

>More Rick Owens
>More basics
>Peacoats
>More simple classic men's fashion
>A lot less street wear

this isn't a streetwear board?

2014-15 isn't old Veeky Forums

What system do you play overwatch on?

open your eyes fuckface, this board (especially the dreaded WAYWT general) is filled to the brim with people who wouldn't be taken seriously as adults if they wore 3/4s of the shit they showcase here in public

there comes a point where you have to just grow up and sell your alexander wang, yeezys and rick owens crap (which is for wide-eyed teenagers in the first place) in exchange for brooks brothers and j brand if you want to be taken seriously. that's the one thing r/mfa understands: good quality classics always look better.

I miss the heathgoth Veeky Forums where everything was so active

A ton of rick and Raf threads and a ton of threads about rick and Raf being shit, not much as changed

hmm hyping Reddit . doesn't sound very FA

yeah. Thats the year of SlaterRadio basically. It was fine, fun. But not like 2009-10 baby. The fashion was worse in the past everyone had less money, was in college and didn't knew much yet but we got along better.

the tripfag drama was still there, tripfags still got shit on by anons like almost anywhere else but the tripfag-user relations where better, we got along, we were Veeky Forumsmily. And I saw those kids grow, including myself it was beautiful.

Not if you have your "Fuck You" money assembled ahead of time. Or if you deal drugs. Or if you rent land. Or if you a working artist of note. Or if you aren't pleb and planned it all out ahead of time.

Is there a way we can ban people under 18 or still in high school???

This
Peak fa was like 2011-2013/14

I remember 2011-2013 fa had a shitton of trips, some good some bad,
I still remember when this trunks pic started getting circulated lol
I also remember him posting alot of weird fits out on his family's porch in the country

What ever happened to Trunks? And Knoch? And Spacejew?

first of all let's get this straight, Veeky Forums was never good.

been browsing on and off since 2010, as well as other fashion forums.

the biggest difference is by far just general fashion trends. the predominant style on Veeky Forums used to be mostly dark gothwear and streetwear shit, rick owens and the like was popular though most users could never afford it. lot of people settled for things like just wearing "streetwear", basically the shit that used to rake in millions of +rep on Superfuture.

the styles these days seem to be really, really heavily based on like, soundcloud rappers and for some reason mac demarco looking shit, even though I'm sure he's not that popular, for some reason his clothes became popular by way of this stupid "normcore" meme which imo has overstayed its welcome.

very few regular posters on Veeky Forums could dress well, even the more infamous ones couldn't dress well. those regular posters also usually crossposted to other fashion forums, if you came to Veeky Forums to find good fits you were an idiot basically. same case today. WAYWT here has always had mostly trash fits and mostly trash criticism, imo they are the most pointless threads here.

Veeky Forums is kind of a board for shitposting, venting, and memes and always has been. serious fashion discussion isn't really present here very much and the format of the board makes it hard to do.

just like today everyone is super biased towards their own personal tastes and super toxic about anything that they don't like.

old Veeky Forums was pretty terrible honestly. nu Veeky Forums is still really bad but at least you don't have Trunks around any more. that guy was basically a living, walking meme.

I know some people who met him in real life, he's apparently super fucking awkward + creepy and smells like BO.

one good thing about nu-Veeky Forums is that hyper-toxic brand mentality seems to be less common.

back in the day people would flame the shit out of you for wearing vans, converse, or any other cheap brand. it probably still happens but I think the rising popularity of shit like vans old skools kind of quelled most of it.

Peacoat and skinny jeans for days

Also, to be honest, at a certain point you realize most of the people posting on fashion boards, and especially this one, are not cool people and it has nothing to do with their clothing.

The toxicity and attitudes you see online combined with the "cool" clothes make you want to get the approval of these people. I think this sort of attitude about streetwear originates mostly from places like Superfuture, and kind of bled elsewhere over time. If you've ever actually met any of these people in real life though you quickly realize that not only are they toxic assholes on the internet, they're also fucking lame and fit of their jeans and price of their shoes don't fucking matter because they just look lame because they are lame people.

You ever met a Sufu user in real life? They're basically really lame asians in their mid 20's with the attitude and behavior of a highschool student. Some of them do look cool at a distance, but if you ever talk to them whatever mystique they had fades away immediately as you realize they're basically angry judgmental manchildren dressing like anime they watched as kids

The types of people who post and browse these boards every day are usually shitty people, hyper-obsessed with approval and attention. You'll see this everywhere, including "nice" boards like care-tags where the users only act nice + friendly on the surface, and in actuality they're extremely cliquey, catty and judgmental people who are mostly putting on a facade to try and seem like "cooler" or "better" people than they actually are. If you go to that board you'll probably think it's a hugbox, and it kind of is, but what nobody realizes is that all of the regular posters have private IRC's, forums, and skype groups where they basically shit-talk all the posters who aren't "in the group".

What I'm trying to say is that for whatever reason all fashion forums are filled with toxic, terrible people and I don't think that will ever change, regardless of where you go.

There was a point in 2011, 2012 or so when you couldn't scroll without seeing a twee thread and thirsty guys filling them up. But they were cuter than the modest threads that keep popping up at the moment at least.

interesting, I would say that's when modern trance music hit its peak also

your post assumes that the worst /waywt/ posters wear designer

the issue is exactly the opposite, and shows how little you know

>back in the day people would flame the shit out of you for wearing vans, converse, or any other cheap brand
this is honestly a loss

I realised after browsing for years that the best thing you can do in terms of looking good is
1. Working out.
2. Having a personality.

What you wear becomes so much less important as you get older. Having friends, making money and trying to cultivate interests that I can really get good at have completely overrided the fashion interest I had in 2010. Looking back now, I see a sad and very lonely guy who tried to compensate with clothes but ended up having clothes that wore him.

Facial aesthetics threads are a new terrible cancer and should be on /soc/. I miss casey.

Full of pretentious whiners.

Being one of said cunts I can certify the truth of this. I think the baseline problem is that there isn't really a practice of fashion outside of exhibition/production. One being immensely bad for one's emotional well-being and the other being difficult (yet rewarding). For a while there were threads for people who made things, I have a feeling the clique thing happens even worse in those. Also Veeky Forums is bad for most people, anonimity breeds malicious behavior because there is inherently no reward in doing what is right.

It's unfortunate that with all the people who have come and gone, we've been stuck with Sieg this whole time.

Is anyone else just lurking here from time to time? Every since 2012 I check out Veeky Forums almost daily but never stay here longer than a few minutes. I sometimes browse through fashion forums and save some pictures of clothes I find cool but never cared too much about how I dress.

I remember in 2012 this picture was posted here often.

Tripfag drama was turned up to 11.

Remember spoony? First cluster b i got to study.

no who's spoony? did it's face look like a spoon? was it that bad? post pic, u know u have one in arc

lol no it's not you're fucking retarded

vans and converse and the like are good shoes. there's a reason people like Rick Owens and Yohji Yamamoto constantly make high-end versions of those sneaks

Trunks was a fucking weird dude. He would Doxx people all the time and shit, and having run in to him once in person in Vancouver (Never talked to him, just encountered him in Haven once), yes he does smell like B.O as someone else said in this thread.

suh dude

I first used this board when I was in college a few years ago. One of the main things I liked about this board was when, on rare occasion, someone said something racist the responses would be 'go back to /pol/', etc. One of the main changes I noticed is how the number of racist posters has increased and instances of calling them out on it has decreased

who is this lil bitch stop talking shit about my bro

Fuck he really is disgusting. How can people like him have the feeling they are entitled of having an opinion?

lol matt you smell too

>Remember spoony?
Here's how she's looking these days.

>tfw if you tried to do a thread to meet people that like fashion irl it would probably last five minutes before being deleted.

>but if you put up a completely worthless /soc/-style face rate thread it can last days.

It's kind of bizarre how this board transitioned from fit pics with the face blacked out to face pics where fits do not feature.
I think /soc/ is actually bad for Veeky Forums culture and promotes worthless "/soc/" behaviour on other boards instead of containing it.
They should delete /soc/ and just permit a small amount of meet/chat themed threads on boards.

She looks like a tranny getting attention on twitter by flaming people that want ethics in video game journalism.

coward?? pm me

2014 to 2015 were as good as a board filled with shitheads described here could be, as kids born in the early 90's started buying designer clothes with money earned from their first jobs. Four Pins, Hypebeast, Sufu and SZ still being alive also contributed a lot to the board in terms of content and culture, for better or for worse and Grailed popping up provided both a convenient entrance and exit strategy to the internet fashion game. Trunks, Berry, Tinfoil, ASAP Rocky, Geobaskets, Raf Velcroes, Prada Creepers, w2c, Undercover Biker, she brings the rain, monochrome, minimalist, Baixchen, Faust, ____ninja, _____core, how do I become a male model, ask anything from a male model, w2c, Eames chair, pigfuck, namefags, saving said namefags' posts and reposting them out of context to use against them, Teddy, white interior + black clothes, poorfags, is x effay #7853296 thread, w2c....
Good times. I stopped actively lurking soon after that.

actually that's more like 2011-2013. there's no way I could be reminiscent about shit that happened two years ago. Preston from that vfiles youtube model show posting "what the Veeky Forumsck" was like the only board culture memeshit that got attention outside here. I don't remember, too much cigarrettes, adderral and care free model life in my metropolitan studio apparment while draped in Ann D and archival Helmut Lang.

like /mfa/ without usernames or voting

so same as now

jesus christ is that young knoch

My god some of you fags are delusional. We used to have CONSTANT fabrixquare generals for christsakes

Up until a few yrs ago, Veeky Forums as a whole IN GENERAL (again there's outliers for both sides)
but the site as a whole, was generally either libertarian, or right learning to various degrees, and occasionally the odd lefty or sjw whining

Over the course of the past 5 yrs the entirety of this site has slowly started becoming more "casual" if you will, with LOTS of regular ppl, or normies or redditors coming over, and bringing with them their SJW lefty mentalities,

sometimes doing raids from leddit or whatever tumblr page they came from, as well as doing stupid "social experiments"
Or subconscious brainwashing
a-la the stupid u mad witeboii and cuckold and wwyd threads and interracial BS threads and propaganda you see everywhere here and subtly in mainstream media

Now personally when I was a kid I was more liberal, then as I got older started becoming more libertarian and as of the past few yrs, do to how cannibalistic the extreme left is, i slowly started becoming more conservative or at the very least right leaning libertarian.

And the reason why is because I, as well as many, have seen this place as well as most of mainstream media become more and more batshit insane

And I think most of the posters on this site now are the very ppl that alot of us hated or wanted to get away from when this site 1st started

It's weird how these things happen..

It was kind of like mfa. I remember when everyone just wore peacoats.

and cdbs

I joined Veeky Forums in 2014 and the only thing i miss from that time is the constantly active waywt threads full of Rick, healthgoth and actual interesting fits.DIY threads were also very active which is a good thing.

I can relate to this, i dont think fashion is a way out of my loneliness but i hope i can get out of it while still being fashionable.

The fuck is health goth??

Were you even here 5 years ago?

I started browsing in 2009 and this place was lefty libertarian if anything, people were just happy to have a space where they could use slurs and no one gave a shit. The racism used to be tongue in cheek. Only recently has it become a place where actual conservatives go.

I've been here since 06 when i was 14
I'm 25 now..

Left this site in 2014 and came back last yr

And yes everything was much more tongue in cheek, Idk if it was lefty libertarian in 09, seemed like the site was varying degrees of libertarian either left or right leaning, seems like back then it was very dependant on the board you were on /pol/ was very right leaning, where as places like /a/ and eventually /mlp/ were left leaning

Now it seems like this site is entirely unironically SJW left leaning with small bits of libertarian oldfags dissappointed and frustrated that this place turned into Tumblr

Anyways I don't like talking politics cause it's easy to sidetrack a thread with it, but it's very difficult not too when discussing what this site was back in 06-10 to now

>I wonder what the next site will become the "new" old Veeky Forums and eventually become invaded with lefty normies.. I wonder??

Also I hope SpaceJew is out there...making syck lunarcore fits.. I miss that goy..

Also miss trunks dressing up in diapers unironically thinking he looked cool, then having his head explode with rage when everyone made fun of him...
Good times..

>What was "old" Veeky Forums like?

99 out of 100 threads were cryptic, impenetrable tripfag circlejerks which contained no fashion, but hundreds of bad selfies of the same 5 people.

the last 1/100th were poorfag college kids talking about H&M and w2c a good peacoat for 1/500th of what a good peacoat cost.

post tripskank

they're all out living REAL LIFE

spacejew is cheasecloth on tumblr, he still makes good stuff

>peacoat
Oh man I remember those times when peacoat was a huge thing.

I miss them, i remember trying to find one before they were popular and had suxh a hard time, then a yr or 2 later you could find them in any unisex clothes shop for cheap

They were great ultra warm winter coats, I loved them.

fucking wolverine 1000 miles
fucking slater
fucking raw denim
fucking cigarettes
fucking actual fits not this styrofoam hotglued to a sock wearing weeb shit

he got insta?

here's a really rare screenshot i took of effay circa 2014

you're welcome

Yep.
That's pretty much how it was.
A tiny handful of clinical narcissists spamming the board with literally thousands of shitposts about themselves and each other, samefagging endless if they didn't feel like they were getting enough attention.

See above.

Not 100% sure what years actually correspond to this.

Shit posting and circlejerking to Kayne and some literally whos

It's a combination of dark fashion aesthetics and activewear staples. I envy you for somehow avoiding this the last 5-6 years. You boycotting social media?

Before they were popular? When was that? I sold vintage in 2006 and they were always a bestseller.

I'm not the guy you responded to, but I also have not known what health goth was, until you kindly mentioned it. Thanks. I don't have an interest in dressing that way, though.

Why aren't you?

Good point. I actually only have a FB I use to reach out to old friends when I travel. Only app in my phone is Spotify.

brings me back to 2013 when everyone talked about geobaskets 24/7

Peacoats are still around. Is it just no longer in line with current fashions to wear them? I'd stick with it if you have one, regardless. They can be very nice to wear, without having a full overcoat, for less cold weather.

the fuck? why is there like 10 different threads with that same girl on the thumbnail

You mean TECH NINJA???

I've NEVER heard ANYONE call techninja "health goth" in my lief
I've heard of "goth ninja" etc but never that one kek

raw denim
unpop
franz kafka
jackal

Nah, not techninja, but there is overlap. Healthgoth to my understanding is more like taking activewear like adidas trackpants or other sportswear with blatant branding and combining it with dark subculture aesthetics, like goth, metal, industrial, etc. It's more of a repurposing and repackaging of old trends.

Gothninja is more dark techwear, less traditional fits/silhouettes, and it often completely reimagines the activewear elements it uses, rather than repurposing staples. It also usually uses layering more creatively and there's less blatant branding.

A lot more trips