Uses for small parcels of land

>step 1 - google "[your county] tax auction property"
>step 2 - find your county auditor's website
>step 3 - in his website, find the list of properties with delinquent taxes up for auction
>these are usually small parcels that are either irregular in shape, closed off, in bad neighborhoods, or just too small for a normal house.
>their starting bids (in my case) range between $90 for .01 acres to $5000 for 3.6 acres
>step 4 - post em

pic related has a starting bid of $634

I've been thinking of ideas for that lot
-private tennis court: $40,000 to build, not enough demand
-tiny home: expensive meme
-private parking lot: there's already free parking
-storage units: expensive, zoning laws
-communal garden: meme, can't profit from that
-parking lot for #vanlife stealth camping: not enough demand
-private park: people would hate me
-bomb shelter: meh
-amazon/ebay locker: maybe

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_4A_bdCJGEQ
treasury.gov/auctions/irs/cat_Real7.htm
slco.org/auditor/tax-sale-list/
co.weber.ut.us/Clerk_Auditor/2015 Tax Sale_Final List.pdf
amazon.com/Double-Your-Money-Abandoned-Properties-ebook/dp/B00CHSMVBE?ie=UTF8&keywords=jj luna&qid=1465145110&ref_=sr_1_8&sr=8-8
slco.org/auditor/tax-sale/
slco.org/auditor/tax-sale/faq/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Then there's parcels like this that are closed off with a starting bid of $105 and .01 acres. Zoning laws restrict putting billboards there.

buy the strip and make the neighboring landowners hate you so much that they buy it to get you out of there.

Buy it and hold it.

Periodically offer to sell it to surrounding houses at 10x cost.

a cross between a motel, a hostel and B&B, advertised using the internet, maybe that would unmeme the "tiny home"

Turn it into a little community garden and lease tiny plots to people per growing season. Shit would probably go well in my part of town.

This was my first thought as well. Could also do aquaponics and sell fresh tilapia.

It sounds like a joke, but I can't image a scenario in which whoever buys that strip -- wouldn't -- inconvenience the people around it. And the county must know this, but I guess they're alright selling it separately.

It seems like these people use that parcel as part of their back yard, but don't pay any taxes on it (hence it going to auction). So they are effectively getting the milk for free. Buying something like this would entrap me into having to pay taxes on a worthless property, and then I would have to abandon it. I guess your plan would work though, if I keep them from using it and do something annoying like the guy above you said.

The reason I call tiny homes a meme is because, from my understanding, they're like 25K for something most people would consider unlivable. Not that I'm saying it's inherently a bad idea. I just personally don't have the capital for such an undertaking.

I didn't even think about that. That reminds me of a video I saw once from the goddess of alt housing: Kirsten Dirksen
youtu.be/_4A_bdCJGEQ

It's obviously zoned for residential and not agricultural or commercial.

That looks like it might be in the middle of an HOA, in which case I would go with the garden/playground meme if the HOA would be willing to pay me for upkeep + profit. Hire some mexicans and boom, you are good to go

If it's not an HOA and you can legally build a business there, I would probably make it a specialty ice cream joint Purple Cow style

If you cant build a business and the HOA won't play ball, I would just pave it all over, put some park benches/tables and just fit as many vending machines as possible there running on solar panels or something

This "cheap real estate" meme needs to die. There's literally 46 of these available in the entire United States: treasury.gov/auctions/irs/cat_Real7.htm

Everyone's known about this trick since the 80s, it's all bought up in advance before it's even listed now.

Can you buy a cheap parcel of land and build a NEET colony on it?

Thats the federal tax auction website, not a local county one you fucking illiterate.

ur dumb

Is there something similar in Australia? Can't find anything searching "Tax auction property"

>Buying something like this would entrap me

You get to legally use the an adjacent property to access your lot (depending where you live).

You can probably even build a driveway through one of the neighbor's yards

Nah. America has this really weird thing where if you don't pay your property taxes they just take it and sell it. Some places you have to follow rules like keeping your front lawn tidy and if you don't they'll fine you or hire someone to do it and if you don't pay they'll reposes your house and put it up for auction.

Anyone found any for the UK?

I've found mentions of delinquency property auctions but can't find any online

Probably, but it isn't a given. Many places like that in the US aren't even in incorporated areas, and many more are in new areas of small towns that are zoned commercial. For instance, I live in an entirely residential area of a small town that's also zoned for small businesses.

>land of the free

how are you checking to see what the back taxes owed are?

find your county's recorders website and search parcel numbers. liens (if any) will be displayed

What this dude said. Also, your county auditor will have a list of properties for the auction.

It will look something like this
slco.org/auditor/tax-sale-list/

or this:
co.weber.ut.us/Clerk_Auditor/2015 Tax Sale_Final List.pdf

try searching "taxitty whauctiony propitty"

OP, this is a great little ebook about how the author bought shitty parcels of land at county auctions in Washington state and flipped them for profit. I recommend it.

amazon.com/Double-Your-Money-Abandoned-Properties-ebook/dp/B00CHSMVBE?ie=UTF8&keywords=jj luna&qid=1465145110&ref_=sr_1_8&sr=8-8

solar farm, both photovoltaic and thermo

Thanks man, I'll check it out

Maybe try making them into places that people can rent to put their tiny houses, sort of like a trailer park works. But make sure that you only allow the "sustainable" ones so you don't need to put any utility hookups in.

Translation: you don't own it

And home of the brave. You have the right to say what you please and own a gun, no matter what the Marxists say, but you don't have the right to be a shiftless poofter and drive my property value down.

Get fucked shitcunt.

Why continue the cycle?

Someone already did what you are thinking, and then stopped paying taxes. It's why it's up for auction again.

Don't be a sucker. Unless you have a proven strategy and zoning permission ( you don't cAnt and never will ) then there is no reason to buy.

This type of thing only works in third world countries where you can set up a store in the middle of a residential area.

That's a good point. Part of the reason why I started this thread was to get some grounded feedback. Ideas like storage units, a private park, a bomb shelter, or even building tiny or even conventional but thin homes in a small parcel of land are unconventional ideas. Using the OP picture for example, building even a regular house in that parcel would be kind of weird looking, and I'm guessing it would lose some value right off the bat.

A reoccurring suggestion in the thread has been making it into a sort of trailer park for tiny homes, which is not that bad of an idea, and assuming I can find people with tiny homes, I wouldn't have to invest much money. The question is: if you lived in one of those houses. Would it piss you off that that lot is being used by tiny home hippies? Having a back-yard of your own, would you rent a piece of the lot for a community garden? Would you feel safe leaving your solar panels on that neighborhood? Social context.

open one of these
turn the backroom into a "dispensary"

Closed off private park is the way to go

Sit on it, enjoy your park and pay low property taxes until you get a buyer

If your down for a long term investment you could plant some pecan trees. The Chinese love pecans and have driven the price in recent years. Plant the trees and eat the property tax for 10 years and eventually you'll be making gains with little work. I have 3 pecan trees at my house, we don't water them or put pesticides or anything on them and they put out more than you want to pick up and shell every year. It's a way long term investment, the trees take 10 years to mature, but if you bought up enough of those properties eventually you could retire and your only job would be to pick up pecans for two months a year.

My man, in ten years time Pecan's will be made in test tubes. Fuck buying trees

I doubt we'll be growing pecans in test tubes at a lower cost than letting the trees do the work themselves. It's probably not the best investment for the OP's money, but if you can't put a house that generates rent on that lot I'm not sure what else you can do to legally make more money ling term.

>-amazon/ebay locker: maybe

This. Plus lottery ticket machine, candy/soda vending machines, redbox, coinstar, etc.

buy it and build a large 2d dick out of bricks. on the bricks spraypaint the price your selling the land for

Zoning laws will fuck you up.

You realize you're buying the lien, not the property, right?

You would usually be right, except that's not the case in this example. These properties have already been delinquent for at least 4 years. You can read the description here:
slco.org/auditor/tax-sale/

and the bit about tax liens here:
slco.org/auditor/tax-sale/faq/

You could start a solar panel farm and sell the power to the government.