What are some good ties I should get Veeky Forums ? I am applying for a new job with a strict dress code...

What are some good ties I should get Veeky Forums ? I am applying for a new job with a strict dress code, white dress shirt and ties. So far I only have 1 tie, it is a blue plaid one, what other color ties should I get Veeky Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/005QQKj_Cq4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you looking for brands, materials, colors or all the above?

cop a few off thetiebar

You can pull off different colors if it’s a conservative pattern. A good one to try if you’re testing the waters is to get a diagonal stripe with your university colors. If someone comments, you have an excuse, then just don’t wear it at the office again.

What’s the industry? Financial, legal, education, or something less formal that just requires a tie?

Also bear in mind that your KNOT should be the right one both for your face type and the formality of the setting. Full Windsor is a good go-to for high formality, while four-in-hand is a good semi formal.

Most others are meme knots, though a few can be preferable when you’ve got a very wide face or are very narrow and the standard looks bad.

In fact, go conservative for your first two work ties. At least one diagonal stripe. A solid matte black skinny tie is probably a good idea if it fits your figure.

thick horizontal stripes

This is very good, though I think a red or blue for the main color is more conservative.

>meme knots

what can you tell me about this knot?

This is excellent for a work tie.

I believe that’s an Onassis knot.
youtu.be/005QQKj_Cq4

Rate my tie collection Veeky Forums.

What should I trash? Should I look to add anything?

trash red and the one on the far left

Here’s some out of my extensive collection. Most of these are hand-me-downs. The far right is a knit tie I did myself (and don’t really wear because I dicked it up).

Center is kind of ugly. I’m not a fan of the far right color combo. Far left is okay but not my cup of tea. All the others are pretty standard.

just a supermarket, more conservative management so stricter dress code.

I'd trash everything except that brown one tbbh

Public-facing or back office? If you’re on the floor get a solid black skinny tie and a work-type button down, NOT a formal dress shirt.

Yeah that wool one got a lot of wear in the 80s.

probably working in stocking or in the meat section, not gonna get a formal shirt or anything just a long sleeved white dress shirt.

Okay that’s fine. Definitely solid black skinny. I’m willing to bet that’s what most there will wear. We’ve got a grocery by us that has that kind of dress code and that’s the style I see everyone wear, without exception.

So white cotton dress shirt, fairly conservative necktie, probably tie clip because you’ll be bending over. If you decide to experiment bring a basic one you know is acceptable to keep in your locker in case you get called out. If the store has a color scheme you could do a striped incorporating those colors, will probably get you brownie points.

I'd recommend a button down oxford cloth shirt, and buy a couple of them so you can come to work every day with a clean shirt on.

I agree with this, except for make sure that your tie is at least 2 inches wide, anything less will look to fashion-y and probably rub your boss the wrong way. For you line of work you are going to need a tie bar. For work pants, I'd recommend Dickies classics. They are synthetic and will not fade and are pretty tough to boot, they will get hot though.

definitely get a clip tie. The last thing you want is getting that tie stuck in something, or in an even graver scenario, a customer yanking on it.

Dubs tells the truth. Skinnier than stereotypical office formal but not too fashionable. Definitely need a tie bar. Tough pants are good, probably can go khaki or black unless the boss requires a specific color. I’d stick with black rubber soled work shoes at first, unless black sneakers are allowed. Basically go for (1) all-day comfort and (2) durability once you’ve established that they’ll meet the dress code.

And definitely have at least two acceptable shirts, ties, and trousers. Get one to two more spare shirts when you get paid so you can have a spare when one gets ruined at work.

I personally recommend a lightweight cotton undershirt as well, type depending on the climate. Helps with work sweat.

This. Worst thing on earth will be if your tie dips itself into something nasty (pooled juices from a leaky meat packet). Also avoid silks for this general reason.

In fact, I think this is why grocers traditionally wore bow ties.

Trash that then too.

How strict is the dress code?

Anyway
>MANDATORY/ALMOST ALWAYS ACCEPTABLE
Solid. In terms of acceptability Navy > Grey > Crimson > Forest Green > Dark Purple.
University/Rep/Reg tie. See your picture.
>ACCEPTABLE AND GOOD TO HAVE
Foulard. Subdued paisleys. Polka-dots/smaller floral
>GOOD TO HAVE, BUT NOT ALWAYS ACCEPTABLE
Grenadines/knit. Plaid. Club ties/Sport ties (keep them classy sports; e.g., hunting ties, polo, soccer, cricket, golf etc.)
>Neither particularly useful nor acceptable for business
Loud patterns, bowties/ascot ties, electric bright solid ties, black ties (unless you work in a funeral home, or in Japan)

>IF YOU HAD TO START FROM SCRATCH
1 university tie. Crimson/gold/navy are all solid colors for it.
1 solid tie. Navy or crimson.
1 foulard in a traditional pattern. I.e., smaller, dignified.
1 polkadot.
1 Fuck-Around tie. Knit tie, bowtie, etc.

Your mileage my vary depending on complexion, environment, etc.