Let's talk about ROMAN EMPIRE

What's your favourite period? Who is your fav emperor/consul? Republic or Empire? Can you speak latin?

Other urls found in this thread:

latindiscussion.com/forum/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fun fact the first romans was ruled by kings who was black. Tarquinius superbus the last black king of rome was overthrown by the whiteys who ruled rome for a couple of centuries. Until sulla the great black general overthrew the whiteys and exterminated them in the social war. Now blacks was running rome again and a whitey wasnt seen in the region again until it was sacked by alaric and the whiteys eventually killed or sent the black romans to africa. Julius caesar was black.

Roman Empire fell in 1453
Also, what are the best resources for learning Latin?

DIOCLETIAN

Augustus, of course.

From Diocletian to Heraclius. If I have to choose something smaller, I choose Justinian.

Early to mid republic.
>Samnites btfo
>Etruscans btfo
>Greeks, including Pyhrrus "I'm Alexander incarnate" of Epirus, btfo
>Carthaginians btfo
>Gauls btfo
>All while Rome was a inconsequential city along the banks of the Tiber

>fav period

Late republic, the cult of the personality era.

>fav emperor

Alexios I Komnenos

>fav consul

Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

>Republic or Empire

Empire has more interesting history.

>Can you speak latin

No, nor Greek.

>Justinian

shiggy

what makes Rome special to you, Veeky Forums?

is it the culture of never ending ambition, audacity and confidence?

is it the long, encompassing history that contains every aspect of human nature from the most inspiring virtue and wisedom to the darkest atrocity? the epics of war, love, loyalty, greed and treason?

is it the sheer detail we can put into imagining their different world and get lost in it?

what makes Rome live forever?

I don't know enough to hold any opinions. What sources are good in terms of books?

Read a book called 'The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' by Edward Gibbon. It's a great book with a lot of of facts backed by reliable accounts and is objective in analyzing Roman society.

>My ancestors are smiling upon me Imperial. Can you say the same?

It is a state that survivied for 2232 fucking years. That is what? A third of the recorded history?

[spoiler]It will come again too. Kebab removal soon.[/spoiler]

Thanks. Are there any good books about the conquest and battles?

Smiling because you expeled all your innocent kinsmen from Alesia because they were useless to you? Smiling because not even with that dirty trick you achieved victory?

Favourite doesn't mean he was the best or even good. Justinian's reign is objectively the most interesting to read about.

Hell yeah

can anybody tell me if these any good?
i want to have them on my bookshelf

I spent 4 years in high school with Orberg's Lingua Latina per se Illustrata. I don't know how well they are regarded, but I can thumb through my copy of Caesar's Commentarii and understand about half of it, after ignoring Latin for a few years.

Buy a book in Latin and translate it.

Learn the grammar first then go through translating using a reference like wiktionary or a dictionary

You'll know Latin by the end. Make sure you actually grasp grammar rules first.

latindiscussion.com/forum/
Is a good place to start

I don't know about books like that. You may have to do your own research to find such a book.

1776 on, when the Empire is reborn and flourishes in North America.

Americans will only become the true heirs when they cease the barbaric use of pants so their balls can finally swing freely and grow back to imperial sizes.

You posted this heap of lies just recently.

You must be:

Incredibly stupid

Massively ignorant of ANY facts

Or you are:

It's not one book; my Folio edition is 8 volumes.
Gibbon was not well informed on the Byzantines & had a ridiculously low opinion of them.

But Gibbon did have great literary talent.

I just posted my opinion, but to reiterate: yes.

But supplement with Adrian Goldsworthy.

Yes there are a lot.
Try Goldsworthy's "The Punic War stand his biography of Julius Caesar.
Also his "In the name of Rome".
Next read Cesar's own Gallic Wars.
An excellent volume on Germanicus by Lindsay Powell.

imho I think the story of the Tetrarchy and its succession would make an absolutely amazing play/drama.

An empire that pulled itself from the brink of destruction, ruled for 20 gloriois years only to have it split 6 or 7 different ways.

If you want a tragedy write it from the perspective of Diocletian, arguably the most idealistic emperor, or you could the story of the triumph Constantine, arguably one of the most important people in history.

>Fav period
Sultanate of Rum
7th century military history

>Fav emperor
Mehmet the conqueror

>Republic or Empire?
Ottoman Empire

>Favorite period?
Grand Duchy of Moscow
16th century military history

>Fav emperor
Peter the Great

>Republic or Empire
Russian Empire

Favorite period?
Carolingian Empire
8th century military history

>Fav emperor
Charlemagne

>Republic or Empire?
Holy Roman Empire

Currently fascinated with the epic events of the second punic war. Haven't been able to stop thinking about the battle of cannae for 3 months now.
In many cases being so cramped together not being able to lift your arms over your head whilst experiencing the most exhausting, emotionally traumatic experience imaginable. All the while Hannibals elite butcher everyone around you until it's your turn to die.

>There you see the Roman republic changing from the height of excellence to the depths of depravity. And this is no novel assertion of my own; I am indebted for it to Roman authorities, who far preceded the coming of Christ. After the destruction of Carthage, and before Christ’s coming, ‘the degradation of traditional morality ceased to be a gradual decline and become a torrential downhill rush.’ I challenge these Romans to quote injunctions against luxury and greed, given by their gods to the Roman people. Would that they had merely refrained from counselling chastity and restraint, without demanding from the people acts of depravity and shame, by means of which to establish a pernicious authority through a false claim to divine power! I challenge them then to read our Scriptures, and to find, in the Prophets, in the holy Gospel, in the Acts of the Apostles, and in the Epistles, those uniquely impressive warnings against greed and self-indulgence, given everywhere to the people assembled to hear them, in a tone resembling not the chatter of philosophical debates, but the thunder of oracles from the clouds of God. Yet they do not blame their gods for the self-indulgence, the greed and the savage immorality which, before Christ’s coming, brought the republic to those ‘depths of depravity’. They scold the Christian religion for all the humiliations inflicted in those later times on their sophisticated self-esteem. Yet if the teachings of Christianity on justice and morality had been listened to and practiced by ‘kings of the earth and all peoples, princes and all judges of the world, youths and maidens, old and young together’, those of every age capable of reason, male and female, and even the tax-collectors and soldiers addressed by John the Baptist - if all those had listened, the Roman commonwealth would now enrich all this present world with its own happiness, and would ascend to the heights of eternal life to reign in felicity

This is why I hate early Christians.

And people unironically believe that societies fall due to
>muh moral degradation
1500 years later.

Not to make a similar point to your image or anything. It's just you'd think in that time we'd wisen up to the financial and political blunders of aristocrats, who's actual degeneracy is what the common people end up getting blamed for.

We need pogroms here too

I like when they are nice uniformly and rich.
But this is a bitch of exploiting and lost them everything. Wouldn't if they hadn't.

Doesn't this work for all languages though?

Objective tier list of Roman Emperors

Laid the Foundation:
>Caesar

Original Gangster:
>Augustus

God Tier:
>Aurelian
>Diocletian

Good Tier:
>Majorian
>Constantine
>Alexios I Komnenos
>Trajan
>Hadrian
>Aurelius
>Nerva
>Antonius Pius

Okay Tier:
>Tiberius
>Arcadius
>Heraclius
>Basil the Bulgar Slayer

Bad Tier:
>Caligula
>Nero
>Titus
>Commodus
>Caracalla

What the literal fuck Tier:
>Elagabalus
>Domitian

Pretender Scum Tier:
>any "emperor" after 1204

Bureaucratic Hack tier:
>Justinian the Great

>Are our opponents going to reply that the Roman Empire could not have been increased so far and wide, and Roman glory could not have spread, except by continual wars, following one upon another? What a satisfying explanation! Why must an empire be deprived of peace, in order that it may be great? In regard to men’s bodies it is surely better to be of moderate size, and to be healthy, than to reach the immense stature of a giant at the cost of unending disorders - not to rest when that stature is reached, but to be troubled with greater disorders with the increasing size of the limbs. Would any evil have resulted, would not, in fact, the result have been wholly good, if that first era had persisted?

Use the cambrige Latin course.

If for no other reason than Clemens and Grumuo shenanigans.

Does anyone ever get historical crushes?

I have a really big historical crush on Cicero.

Also I would love to be swept off my feet by Maximinus Thrax.

Favorite emperor: number 1 baby. Octavian.

Least favorite: constantine reeeee

It is a very long lasting empire, and all of history between the fall and 1945 people have been trying to live up to its glory.

In 410, it is true, the mother of the world has died.

It lent us out script, most European people speak a language derived from latin, or have so many Latin loanwords it's ludicrous. Latin is the language of science and until the last 100 years or so, education. The Romans gave us Christianity, directly in that crucifixion is synonymous with Rome, and that Jesus was born a Roman subject, living only 5 miles or so from Sepphoris. Constantine made it the state religion.

It gave standardized laws, allowed peaceful trade, and improved the way people lived through better access to education, roads, and hygiene. Romans had running water, the best roads in Europe for 1000 years, and easily the greatest art and design the world had ever seen. I might be romanticizing but damn it it's Rome, it deserves it. And I'm aware of the irony.

I am just madly in love with the Republic and Empire. It's like a woman reaching out through a crowd; our eyes meet, and you feel butterflies and warmth and infatuation. The world before and after seems cold and unwelcoming, but Rome, the mother of the world, seems so inviting, prosperous, and /right/.

Worst one is Phocas. I will shill the Phocas story until the end of time because his treachery caused Islamic conquests of the two greatest empires ever. Eastern time was on the up and up until Phocas fucked it up, losing egypt and Judea.

Cicero's time especially 60's-40's BCE
>Cataline n Julius being the biggest events during

Rome lives forever because we find an application or connection to the society all of the time. We see great scholars, militaries. But never forget of the continuity errors in tracing back the initial start of Rome. Wealthy family would lie so much and we see a lot of contradicting evidence for family lines. This shows us the citizen's perspective in lying, deceiving -- both being amongst the few -- aspects about ancient civilizations that can be easily assumed and agreed upon.

Thats another thing I love about Rome. It's so human. The people feel so real. Assyrians? Sumerians? I can't imagine how *modern* Syrians and Iraqis live, let alone ancient ones. But Romans? I can imagine that in glorious detail.

Germanicus

someone's gonna make another Rome thread eventually so bump