How to convince my uncle to give me some inheritance

How to convince my uncle to give me some inheritance

>family moved to Canada during 1800s when they were handing out land to farmers
>our family farm grew through acquisitions and is now 455 acres, approx $45M worth of land zoned for farming
>currently it's my dad, his bro and his sis
>my generation of the family has 5 non bastards, my uncle has 2 direct kids.

how can I get them to put it into a family trust for the kids?? at only .5% return it would still be a nice income and a huge help as I'm just graduating college and trying to buy property

Can i interest you in a nice book and author?

The best answer is you don't. Just worry about things you can control and build your own wealth. If you want to be a manipulative person who coerces family members to do what's best for you instead of what's best for them, then is good advice.

>I like to think making money is only as important as it serves to improve your happiness
>Doing this will not lead to long term happiness

wouldnt you get inheritance from your own father? or am i missing something here?

Have you thought about working for your family farm? If you work hard maybe they will pay you a big salary or give you land to manage yourself.

I know this feel OP.

I'm right now in Canada sitting on 100 acres worth a few million, owned by my grandfather. The portion that's lived on is owned by my dad. The remaining 100 acres is going to be split among my dad and his siblings (who have done nothing to deserve inheriting any portion of this land.) In reality it should go entirely to my dad. My brothers and father are the only namesake to our ancestors. The other cousins and aunts are all of different last name, pretty much all semi-bastardized to one extent or another.

My grandfather sold away a portion of the land for well under market value to build a stupid duplex in the city. He ended up having to move into assisted living just a few years afterwards anyways.

I can't get over that he sold away familial assets forever to live in a stupid duplex for a couple years. A few years comfortable living at the cost of land we will never get back. And his father before him gave away a vast portion of our land to the town next to us so they could build a bunch of houses back in the 60s.

My family has a history of squandering our ancestral assets. Once my grandfather passes away I can't help but think that'll be they end of our ancestral farm.

yes, but that's not what I'm asking lol

I am an accountant, not a farmer. I am not suited for physical labour. Besides, I have a cushy job in oil. For what it's worth, my uncles kids grew up on the farm but one of them moved to Scotland and the other isn't that smart, he's doing some shit degree at a shit college. None of them have kids yet and we are all 20-25 years old. The only thing I would do is start a medical weed farm but I would need the land which he is currently using lol

yes exactly

shut up you cuckold I'm a first generation college student that's about to graduate from one of the best schools in the world. Not to mention I'm in accounting and have taken various tax / estate planning courses so i have a background in this. I don't want it all, I just want my fair share. fuck off with this "you don't deserve this" shit lol

>fair share
Fucking kek you entitled brat

what's the point of being family if you don't share? might as well be strangers lol. oh well, I'm still planning on being self made anyways. Extra money just helps to build my estate faster ;)

you just lost all respect/credibility/sympathy and any hope you had for getting helped. gfy

do you have a cushy job in oil or are you still in school? Which is it?

You both are entitled little shits that deserve nothing. I hope both the landowner's in your family have to use every last resource to support their end of life in an expensive ass nursing home, leaving you with maaaaaaybe enough money to pay for the funeral. And even then, I think it would be better if that came out of your own pocket.

I knew someone, a widow, who passed away a few years ago. Her grandchildren guilt tripped her into staying on the farm for a "few more years," because they desperately wanted the land, much like you. And she was miserable, and her life sucked, and she suffered for it, when she could have used her life's work (maintaining and running that farm) to build a comfortable life for herself in town, in a duplex or assisted living or the nursing home. But her entitled whiny children and grandchildren did not have the money to buy the farm from her. Eventually she literally had to sell it as she couldn't take care of herself and had to move. And I learned a lot from her situation, and other peoples' situations that I see in the tax office where I work, and in general conversation.

It's not yours.

It is not fucking yours.

Do you know when it can be yours? If you can pay for it. My parents are on a farm that I adore and would love to live on someday. But you know what? I don't have the money to buy it. And if something happens where they need the money and have to sell the farm before I can secure my situation and buy it? Then I'm shit out of luck. If I can't buy it, it's not mine. And if they need to do whatever the fuck they want to it as it is theirs, then so be it. I'm not going to begrudge them that, because I am not an entitled worthless little shit thinking other peoples' lives revolve around me and their assets revolve around me.

What do you two yahoos think owning farm land is like? You're land rich (millions), but you're cash poor. If you need to finance something, it comes from the assets.

im working the summer and then will be returning full time after graduation, so... both??

lol its okay i dont want advice from cuckolds anyways??? like id rather not get helped than receive poor advice

sorry you live in a such a fucked up family but in mine we share stuff

what your family is doing is like the equivalent of starting a new game every generation. have fun starting at 0 while i reap the benefits of my ancestors and build on it

>tfw when you know the oilfield will eat this entitled little fag and spit him out
feels good. Good luck in industry

Why are you asking questions like some gold digger on their knees and sucking dick hoping some sugar daddy takes care of them. You arnt entitled to shit its uour uncles and he can do whatever he pleases. Go suck his dick if anything gay boy

No, if my family can pass on the farm without needing it financially, then they will. Gladly. It is a potential possibility that I will end up with the farm with no cash purchases or other issues. Remember when I said, "Land rich, cash poor"? Lot of farming families have this problem. You can't just look at their land value. You have to look at their cash situation, too. So I also have to realize it's not mine if I don't have the cash to pay for it in case they do need it financially. And I also know if it does come down to a financial decision, and it does not get passed to me, then it is no one's fault but my own for not being able to afford it. Keeping land and farms in the family is nice, but it's not always reasonable or feasible. If you're fucking over someone else's life (for example, whichever fucktard was all, "My grandpa is ruining my life, he sold under value to build a DUPLEX wahhh"), or making demands on assets that are not yours, then you have two options: put up the cash for it, or you get to shut the fuck up because it's not yours. Entitled. Whiny. Shits. are people who do anything else, besides pay for it or keeping their noses out of it.

Now there is a problem with mismanagement of assets, but I haven't seen an example of that in this thread (selling one asset to finance another asset, particularly a place to live is not mismanagement). And even at the end of the day, you still have to step back and realize that you don't own it. You don't have a say. Even if you are "family," your opinion's weight is exactly nothing, even in mismanagement (outside of preventing outright fraud).

I see way too many children thinking they are owed something by their parent's death. That they need to profit off of it. And it's rarely "family farm" feelings, but more asset grabbing than emotional. After all, what do you expect to do with it? What if you have to sell off part of the farm to support maintenance, a major dirtwork project, or some other shit?

because it's easier to make money when you already have money?? because then I can afford to take risks and start ventures?? because I can probably handle the money better than anyone in our family??
thanks, can't wait to continue in my daddy's footsteps.

ps. if you've ever actually been to an oil company's office you'd know I fit right in lol.

So what if you are? So what if you have the greatest mind for business? It isnt yours end of the day. Go do your accounting thing, open a firm 10 years later seeing how 'great' you are and do accounts or something for the business.

lol. Office drones first to get fired. I won't feel bad when your job gets cut in your last 4 months of school. The downturn is gonna last awhile. Hope you have a good backup.

like I said before, I'm sorry that your family doesn't share shit but mine does. It's a cultural thing. My parents expect a suite/house on my property and in return they will help finance part of it. And when I finally have kids, I will do the same for them.

I don't care if they sell the land or keep it they can do whatever they want with it until they die... I don't know why you think I'm trying to control them. I'm just trying to ask how to get in on that shit without having to straight up kill my cousins lmao

stop with this "it's theirs not yours" nonsense, I know it's not mine, why do you think I'm asking the question lol

that's... not true at all. well for one, I work in accounting and regardless of how shit the company is doing they still need to release financial statements.

investors won't be very happy to have sloppy financial statements and auditors are much more costly lol. maybe the hot secretaries will get canned but you can't legally run the business without issuing the statements.

I can cut my pay in half before I get to the same salary my classmates in audit are making. and I still get my certs

if they want to cut family ties then sure leave me out

And hate to break it to you, you earn your shit elsewhere because you arnt born to inherit the whole business, theres lots of disney princes, princesses out there in the world but you aint one bub

>fair share
Yeah, a boot in your ass.

this entire thread is full of "it's your uncles not yours"

niggas, that's why I'm asking lol, how do I make it mine

and I don't want all of it, that would be chill but realistically I just want like 500 grand or something for a nice lil starter home so that I don't have to piss my money away in rent.

anything more than that would just be overkill cause I have no use for it other than hiring some immigrants and getting fresh veggies

'sigh' what else do you want from us? Just ask your uncle? You arnt his past wife or anything so inheritence doesnt really go your way

Pitch him an idea and have him invest? Legit advice lol

>I'm sorry that your family doesn't share shit but mine does. It's a cultural thing...
My family does share, but I'm not getting into that here. And honestly, neither are you. Why are you going from
>how can I get them to put it into a family trust for the kids?? at only .5% return it would still be a nice income and a huge help as I'm just graduating college and trying to buy property
to
>it's about SHARRRRRRING user!

Sounds like you want to start making income off of it before your parents are dead and exert control/influence so you can benefit. Why do you deserve to benefit? "It's called sharing!" No, no it's really not. My parents and I have also discussed financing housing on the family land, and I can pay for it in cash or caregiving or land stewardship, but you said: "I am an accountant, not a farmer. I am not suited for physical labour." What exactly are you offering your parents? Not cash or labor or caregiving. You're making a grab at their assets that you think you are ENTITLED (remember that word?) to, and are not offering them compensation. And I'm asking what you're going to do if your parents or parents' generation of the family needs cash? Are you going to give up "your share"? You have to prepare for that eventuality, because it is possible. You literally ended OP with how it would be a huge help right now, and why do you think you deserve your parents' assets right now? You might not even get them when they die, try as they might, as much as they want. You are being a whiny entitled shit.

SO, if you want this to actually be a partnership, you're going to have to get over your fear of physical labor, figure out how to provide caregiving for your elderly parents so they don't have to sell the farm to pay for such things, save enough cash to buy the land if your fucktarded cousins decide to sell, etc. etc. And if you can't put capital or physical labor into it, then you don't deserve a share of the profits just because you're related.

Even if you could convince your family to put this shit into a revocable trust (you would never get an irrevocable trust), I doubt you would be getting the income off of it as a beneficiary until your parents die and you get his share. So labor, compensation (including trade), or convincing your family to give you a housing loan backed by the farm's land assets. Those are your options. If your family is stupid enough to sign anything over to you so you actually have ownership and can back the loan yourself, then they're far more stupid than you portrayed them. So go make a proposal on the loan, offer them a decent interest rate, and guarantee backing it up, and see where that gets you, because I don't think you're going to get anything else. Mostly because they probably already know you're a self-important, entitled, whiny shit.