LBJ

Ahoy-hoy Veeky Forumstorians,

I'm new to this board ('cuz babby board), so forgive me if this is a dead horse of a subject, but what does Veeky Forums think of Lyndon Baines Johnson as a president? His legacy seems to be very complicated; I've heard everything from accusations that he was the mastermind behind JFK's murder to praises of him being one of the last truly great presidents.

It's no question that he seems to have been a racist and something of an egomaniac in his personal life, but it is also evident that he oversaw and carried out some of the most progressive actions in modern American history (e.g., the Civil Rights and Voting Rights acts, public broadcasting, the National Endowment for the Arts, etc.). He failed to resolve the quagmire in Vietnam, but that was an inherited mess that didn't stop him from attaining domestic success. So what's the verdict?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_B._Pearson#Prime_Minister_.281963.E2.80.931968.29
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The original meme president.

Not because of his achievements or lack thereof, but because he was obssessed with his dick.

Hah! Yes, how could I forget to mention "Jumbo"? A true Texan--obsessed with size.

I actually don't believe he was a racist. While he used very racially charged language, he was white trash from Texas. It was just the way he talked.

I don't know why people on here will shit on Johnson. For some reason they think he was a proto-SJW, when in reality he was a raging misogynist with a massive dick obsession. I admire him not just for realizing that endemic poverty is the cause of the majority of society's ills but also for his brilliant political maneuvering. Even if you hate him, there's something admirable about the way he was able to get some of the Dixiecrats behind the Civil Rights Act despite the fact that it was political suicide to them. He literally would tell them that black enfranchisement would save their jobs, despite knowing that their constituencies were mostly white anyway.

And yes, he was involved in the Kennedy assassination, but Kennedy was a shitty president and he had to be removed.

Reminder that there is no reliable evidence he ever uttered le dank "niggers" quote.

literally the GOAT president

he was a texan who named his dick jumbo.

do you honestly think he didn't talk like that?

We did it Johnson, we saved Vietnam!

He might have, it's just the quote is very poorly sourced so it's impossible to discern what the statement in full was.

Personally I doubt LBJ was a genuine racist that was trying to poverty trap all of black america like he's often accused of by loonier conservatives. He might have used rough language like nigger but honestly just about every southerner did back then, even if they didn't intend any malice.

in reality he probably thought they were just a bunch of dumb niggers and he'd do what was necessary to make sure they vote democrat

He had a change of heart in some matters when he realized oh shit he was president and responsibility and a broader scope were forced upon him.

That's the simplest explanation for his many contradictions.

Also dicks.

he was a ruthless politician his entire career. i doubt presidential power came as a surprise to him...

The man had phone conferences on the shitter. The last true, dick swingin' president. Only Dubya came close but we all know he wasn't packing no Jumbo.

big dickee no save him

>tfw you realize the war was about small dicked betas showing up big dicked chad

Dubya didn't even come close. Johnson was a hick from the backwoods of Texas, but he managed to get an education and worked as a teacher, which is when he decided the system was broken and went into politics. But the mannerisms, obviously, remained.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_B._Pearson#Prime_Minister_.281963.E2.80.931968.29
>Before Pearson had finished his speech, he was summoned to Camp David, Maryland, to meet with Johnson the next day. Johnson, who was notorious for his personal touch in politics, reportedly grabbed Pearson by the lapels and shouted, "Don't you come into my living room and piss on my rug."

>not pushing forward as well, upping the ante until LBJ's dick obsession gives way to full blown bi-curiosity

The man was just lonely, he didn't know why. He wanted to be close.

The Kennedy hate in this thread is retarded. You do realize that most of the things Johnson did was going to be done by Kennedy right?

holy shit thank you for this

been looking for an actual visualization of the lbj lean for ages this is brilliant

The "great society" welfare policy did nothing to improve the lot of the lower classes and basically only serves to discourage actually becoming productive members of society
His opening up of immigration just increases the amount of people using said welfare without actually increasing the labor force or doing anything useful

Basically he initiated the modern trend of having massive amounts of people not having to work while levying increasing taxes on the middle class to pay for it all
Total piece of shit rivaled only by Woodrow Wilson in how much damage he did to our country

I feel bad for him.

Actually, our labor shortages are mainly due to globalism in general. Immigration only compounds the issue slightly, but immigrants are willing to do jobs most national-born citizens won't.

>immigrants are willing to do jobs most national-born citizens won't.

I hear this meme all the damn time but never hear anyone give any stats or anything to back it up
We have millions of poor people already working shitty minimum wage jobs, are we really that lacking?

Go out and ask a service worker if they'd do construction.

My guess, and it is a guess, is that it's that immigrants are overwhelmingly barred from service, since they're considered lowkey less presentable. Also the whole english as a second language thing.

I think it's sort of a social stratification that's been happening on its own for a while now, but is helped along by any animosity for the immigrants.

You mean immigrants depress wages and are willing to do the jobs for those shit wages. Congrats.