What were Roman emperors referred to as? You know, how would someone address them...

What were Roman emperors referred to as? You know, how would someone address them? What was their equivalent of Your Majesty?

Both early and Eastern Roman versions please.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_emperor#Titles_and_positions
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably all sorts of titles depending on the time frame. Princeps, imperator, augustus in antiquity and in the ERE basileus, sebastos, autokrator.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_emperor#Titles_and_positions

Augustus is probably the best.

Caesar became the title of the emperor-designate.

In the East, Basileus, the most popular or Sebastos, the Greek version of Augustus.

>What was their equivalent of Your Majesty?
Dominus (Noster)

Stupid pronunciation question.
How do you pronounce Caesar?
Shouldn't it be closer to Kaiser?
Isn't "ae" in Latin pronounced like the "ai" in the word aisle.
And isn't the "C" in Latin always hard, like in cat.
Like I said. THE stupid question

You are probably correct.

You are correct. It's pronounced Kaeser, and Cicero is Kikero. Which makes me wonder how all of the Romance languages developed to say these and other names with the soft C.

I still don't understand how it became "Tsar" though...

Not always a soft C. In Italian Cicero is pronounced "tchichero". Pretty much to answer you even during the empire different regions used different dialects of Latin.

If Caesar is pronounced 'Kai-Sar' then the etymology of Tsar is pretty easy to trace

Russians started putting more emphasis on the Sar than the Kai, eventually dropping the vowel and getting "K'sar" which is the sound/word the English spelling "Czar/Tsar" starts to make sense

I bungled that last sentence but you know what I mean

Imperator was one of the earliest incarnations of the title. simply meaning "commander".

Augustus was picked up by Octavius and became an honorific title started by him.

The honorific of "Caesar" came into play around 68-70 ACE.

the Byzantines were still using Latin titles well into the 7th century, but the Greek title would be Basileus. but coincidentally the title of Καῖσαρ, or Caesar, was the title for the heir apparent to the throne, rather than the Emperor himself in the Byzantine Empire.

Look up palatalization

>Russians
Bulgarians were the first to use the title Tsar.

Late-antiquity they get into this two stage system where Caesar is like almost Augustus, but Augustus is the top rank.

The empire normally had two Augustus's or more due to revolt after Diocletian.

Small correction, not op. An imperator was a victorious general specificly? Wasn't it?

during the days of the Republic yes, it just happened that most Dictators who served in the republic and Julius Caesar held the title of Imperator when appointed as Dictator, so it naturally carried over to the imperial era as a title for the Emperor.

There are two different schools of thought on the matter
The Ecclesiastical pronunciation uses sounds more similar to romance languages. So Caesar would sound "Cesar" with a soft C
The Classical pronunciation uses harsher sounds, more similar to germanic languages. In this case Caesar is "Kaesar".
There is no agreement between scholars on what is the correct one and schools teach the existence of both then use whatever the teacher prefers. For example I was taught the former, but my sister the latter.

to add to the question
>What were Roman Emperors referred to as?

What names did the Eastern Emperors use?
I've always heard Justinian called Justinian but did he and his subjects use a greek way of saying his name? If not when did the Eastern Empire stop using the more latin/roman sounding names and go full Greek.

Shitfaggots