GOD TIER TRADES

I'm looking to go into a god tier trade Veeky Forums

I watched Mike Rowe on PragerU talking about not following your passion but instead taking opportunities. I'm thinking of getting into a trade, working up to a master, and after maybe a couple years it'll be the right time to open my own business of that trade. My thinking behind this is because I think the whole society saying "you'll only find a good job with a college degree" meme will finally be a popped bubble.

So what are some trades I should start looking at?

bump

I've been a stone mason for 5 years. I was also a commercial glazier (glass) for 3 years. AMA

What time do you usually start your shifts and end? Is it a set schedule like clock in at 9 and out by 5 or is it until the job's done? What kind of money is there to make in that industry? Would you recommend getting into it now?

>usually start at 8 and work till around 3:30 with a short lunch around 12
>make about $250 a day
Stonework is really rewarding to me cause you get to step back and look at the incredible stuff you built every day. It's really hard on your body though so I try to only do the fun projects. It all depends what you are looking for in a trade. The more technical trades like HVAC and elevators pay extremely well, but personally I enjoy masonry to the point where it's worth a pay cut. No matter what trade you start, expect to do labor and whatever the fuck your journeyman tells you to do for at least 3 years before you start building your own stuff

There's only one option to master: options.

Ive heard the Elevator technician business is really hard to get into?

Probably. If I remember right, you have to pass the electrician test as well as the hard as fuck elevator tech test when your apprenticeship is up. The work is ridiculously technical, though. You can make comparable money as a freezer tech, though

All of these are good. But not that good.

CNC machining... or routing. I do CNC wood routing, started my own biz in February and am already paying bills plus some.

I make $50/hr and the machine is billed out at $60/hr. Also good is laser cutting. But ultimately this is all lower tier stuff that I'm using to build up to machining aeronautics parts.

Honestly, get a CNC machining cert and go run a machine for $60/hr +

Otherwise underwater welding
$150/hr 4hr per day limit.
Also tank inspection or architectural engineering

trade your time for money at a well-paying job.

These numbers are fucking absurd. Average for a dive welder is closer to $25 an hour. Idiot

Im not doubting what you make, this is just a general question: everytime i search average salaries ( of course I know that these are the averages and dont represent what you can get after years of hard work ) of trade jobs and they usually come no where close to what people claim. Does someone want to explain the mechanics of that?

Also, that seems like a rather interesting field to get into. How did you come across it and what's it like to work in that field?

I'm personally in uni (for a non-meme degree though), but I would just like to say that I respect people like you 1000x more than some idiot who did organic videogame art design communications or some shit.

I know my opinion is irrelevant, but I'd just like to state it anyway. I think you made a very wise choice.

>that picture
Haven't cringed quiet as hard in a while.

> Does someone want to explain the mechanics of that?

Mostly it depends if you're self employed contractor or you work for a company.

The rates are usually 50% lower for a company man then self employed. In exchange you get a job security and you don't have to pay accountant yourself.

I've found if you're good technicaly and you have decent communicaiton skills it's better to go self employment route, you'll get constant stream of jobs either way (I often endup working 2 jobs at once if one gets extended), and you get paid even twice as much as if you work for outsourcing company.

I'm making 40k a year doing pest control for my dad and will own the business one day.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to increase my income though? I need at least 60k a year if I want to start a family I would think. I'm 25 right now...

I'm in a god tier trade but you can't get in, OP.

>>>/reddit/

sure I'll bite. electrician in Toronto. AMA.

How do you get a pull string in later? Vacuum or fishtape?

I tried my hand at electrician to follow the money but I absolutely hated it

HVAC has the highest starting wage but I think electrician can make the most money after years

main runs are vacuumed, measured, pulled with a winch with exact lengths of wire ordered ...the stuff that's 300 feet from the p1 electrical room to various things on the roof ( one of many small sub electrical rooms pictured) A fish works for small stuff, short stuff.

yes they do make slightly more than us in the union environment. I still wouldn't trade places.

Gentlemen trades (mechanichal trades), building trades you'll break your balls and your back eventually ( not to mention compete with Mexicans). If your 18 join the Navy reserve become pipe fitter or boiler maker. Learn Welding . Get big bucks at oil refinery or power plant working maitenance.

follow ur heart it wont lead you wrong find your talents and work very hard at it OP it will pay off

OP's future house